Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
how do people get 'past their prime' in league, a game that only uses your wrist, which should last you EASILY into the thirties if you're keeping up the vitamin enhanced dew, and your brain which, although ranked has led me to believe otherwise, does not lose its folds as you hit your late twenties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey guys, im paid thousands of dollars to play league of legends but somehow i cant keep up with the other guys playing the exact same game as me who cant physically do anything i cant - aphromoo, i guess

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
some garbage player building ardent censor doesnt mean anything

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
EU? more like PEE-u

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can someone who knows a bit more about coaching and the working of LCS etc answer some questions for me?

I feel like the difference between NA and Korea has nothing to do with putting in 10 hours per day vs 15 hours per day. For example, I've seen Bjergsen go up in lane against Faker and other top tier korean mids plenty of times and not only not get dumpstered, but go even in lane and still be relevant later. Ditto with some NA top laners vs Korean equivalents and bot lane etc. So clearly the amount of practice time being put in doesn't make that much of a difference, because there's only so many ways you can do Four Buttons + Right Clicking and I'm pretty sure that most pro players world wide are generally good enough that their lane performance is not the number one reason they're losing games.

For that matter, how are there such large mechanical differences between players? You can only literally do so much on a champion, and if you're playing meta picks continuously, ten hours a day, 7 days a week, how is every pro player not identically matched in mechanical prowess? Why are coaches not identifying weaknesses with certain champs and working on their players to correct these problems? Why are they not making players practice meta champs for their lane so we don't have to hear "Well sneaky is probably going to pick Varus instead of Xayah because he's never been much of a Xayah player."

People say there's a coaching difference, but why? How much do the coaches need to do to fix their players? They have the Vods of all their competitive games, as well as scrims. Casters will say stuff like 'so and so jungler is very passive, and that's been a problem'. Why has that not been fixed? If these people that literally just watch the games can see problems, why are they not being identified and fixed by the coaching staff? Why are their analysts not figuring out the root causes of a loss and dealing with them?

Why are teams not assigning one or two main shotcallers? Why are teams not automatically following up on the shots called? I see hesitation in pro level play, and it seems like if your team captain or whatever has made a call, then everyone should be following up on it as best they can, whether or not they agree with it. That inven article mentioned how the korean language can much more effectively communicate an idea. Alright, sure, why are teams not working on a concise method of communication that lets them get a point across quickly and efficiently, regardless of the language?

It seems like every problem pro teams face could literally be fixed if their coaching staff and support team sat down and was actually working out problems in play and working to correct them. Any time a new player prodigy is brought up, it seems to be they either

-make good macro calls, something that should be trainable into pro players with the massive amount of material they have

-have good mechanics, which AGAIN should be trainable into pro players considering that, again, they have massive amount of play time and maybe less than 3 or 4 viable champions they need to practice.

Tia

e: to expand on the shot calling comment, i remember watching a youtube video of different teams communicating during a game, and C9 had all their players yelling over the top of each other constantly, whereas SKT's had Faker and Marin calmly making quiet calls while the rest of their team listened and followed up on it

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RealFoxy posted:

The in-game macro is where the gap is, not necessarily in team fighting but less-so than laning. It's why you can see Korean teams be 10k gold down and still win games because they set up pressure in side-lanes properly, have better warding, and know how to pressure or bait teams into situations they shouldn't win

So how is that not fixed then? Why are teams not taking efforts to improve their macro play, teach their shotcallers, and educate their players about situations and how to react to them? There's no reason North America can't do everything Korea can, outside of the 15 hour days, and I guarantee you that making your players play another 5 hours will not inherently fix the difference

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i root for skt because they are the best, and hell, i dont believe in encouraging losers

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
dont you have any eu games you can watch so you can get back to watering your rutabagas with your tears

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
in sneaky's defense, a hill which no man should really choose to die on, all through worlds he seemed very consistent, and even when he lost lane to better bot pairs, he rarely died, rarely fed, and positioned well enough to do damage. he slugged it out with some of the best duos in the world and didn't do that badly. i love you daddy sneaky

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
do you want to fight rabidsquid? when i draw my blade, it may not return until stained with blood. choose carefully

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
a bandaid could conceivably fix an arrow wound

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does a team like SKT deal with salaries and players and so forth? Does kkoma set salaries and choose what players they're going to try and chase, or do they have some corporate team from the actual company doing all that?

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
when kkoma becomes head coach while he turn into kKoma?

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
TCS caster uses "cucks" to describe tahms abilities

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lookin forward to marin/blank/faker/pray/gorilla, the new goat team

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

njsykora posted:

Flyquest have a new logo, it's bad.

looks like a trash companys logo

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
flames downward spiral

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Work Friend Keven posted:

Meteos, like batman and robin, will never die

but he will be ambiguously gay depending on the owner

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey guys, I've been away from the league proscene for a while. How's my favorite team, SKT doing? Ready to take those 2018 world finals?

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ulio posted:

Speaking of SKT toplane. Huni was at the skt house in Faker's latest stream.

:pray:

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

If you want to dislike Pastrytime just watch the VOD of him being a complete dick hole to Markz on the last riotgames2 twitch channel thing from twitchcon last weekend

Not even banter, just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason

i dont actually give a poo poo about my boy pastrytime bullying the "Former Analyst & Coach for Team Liquid's LoL team"

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love this korean announcer guy. he always sounds so happy.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
bwippo looks adorable and soaz looks like a melting candle golem

e: and rekkles looks like a low budget pewdiepie

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like how Rookie tps directly in the face of an Irelia and Capz doesn't consider it might possibly be a bait

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
im literally going through every stage of grief right now, ending with "at least fnatic won season 1"

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
rekkles is so bad at ezreal. how do you miss so many skill shots as a pro adc

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
first pick sivir, ban alistar, and put everyone else on the four safest tanks imaginable. this is the future of the west.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

reach42 posted:

Rekkles hit a normal amount of skill shots, Iceborn Gauntlet Ezreal is just useless if you don't have a lead.

He missed a ton of skill shots in lane on targets moving straight forward. He actually looked tilted out of his mind

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rabidsquid posted:

which lane would have won with jungle help

jungle

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What's the reason to sub out Bwipo instead of Rekkles? Are folks explicitly hard-coded to their roles and Soaz couldn't replace Rekkles role, or do you generally just never replace Rekkles' role?

soaz can barely play carry tops much less ad carries

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
you best start believe in scripted games, mister rookie... you're in one.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
muscle memory keeps tugging my fingers into a /ff

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Erdricks posted:

Ok, I'm a dirty high silver/low gold scrub, but why was bwipo pushing the lane so hard with Ning off the map? Just pure tilt or was there some other strategy element I am missing. In my understanding of the game, you don't push across the line of scrimmage when you can't account for the enemy jungler... its better to just freeze the lane and chill until you can get vision.

he noob

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder what the viewership numbers would be if they weren't held in the early, early morning for most of the west

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

njsykora posted:

Probably exactly the same, maybe slightly lower.

You think /less/ people would watch if it wasn't at 3 am?

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

njsykora posted:

I think fewer eastern fans would watch since it would then be 3am for them, which would be equal to or slightly more people than any additional western fans.

For reference, I believe the 2016 finals in NA got 1.6m compared to around 2m in China last year.

Riot feverishly attempts to ensure LPL makes it to the finals every year

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ulio posted:

Man SKT really failed to build strong teams even with the amount of prestige they have. Look at KT's roster it is all superstar. The Huni/Peanut lineup was an attempt at this. Although they never played 100% well like old SKT lineups they won spring, won msi, made summer finals and came 2nd at worlds. People were asking Huni Peanut to be replaced after those accomplishments.

I like Thal but he is way too inconsistent. Blank is straight trash but looks like he is Bengi 2.0 and won't be kicked until he retires but he has potential to be great again just very tilty player. Their supports are also not that good.

I'd really like to see Huni/peanut on SKT again in this meta. Three hard carrying mechanical players, plus faker can play his old LB again. Please, someone make it happen :pray:

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Max Coveri posted:

So who's your pick for this year's Dade Award? I'd go for Crown but Uzi is also a solid contender.

every single year people talk about how uzi is alternatively "the best adc in the world" or the "best player in the world" and every single year it gets proven entirely false and it's so weird to hear it again and again

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
An inability to perform on a world stage is what makes you bad at pro league of legends, hth. To paraphrase apdo, the best players are the ones that won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Faker leaving SKT seems unlikely. At this point, Faker basically IS SKT.