Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Only two votes, but they're both in favour of investigating the smoke, so that's what we'll do.

Flight from the Dark posted:

Carefully parting the dense foliage, you are horrified by the sight that meets you. In a small clearing ahead, three Giaks have tied a man to a wooden stake and are setting fire to a mass of brushwood bundled at his feet. You recognize his tunic as that of a Border Ranger, one of the King’s men who police the kingdom near the Durncrag Mountains of the west. He has been badly beaten and is nearly unconscious.
+1 EP (28/28)

Using the skills taught to you by your masters in the art of Hunting, you inch your way through the foliage undetected. In less than a minute you are directly behind, and only a few feet from, the stake to which the ranger is tied. The wood is alight and great clouds of smoke are engulfing the poor victim. You take your weapon and run forward, hidden by the smoke. One blow of your weapon is all that is needed to sever his bonds, and you pull him free and back into the safety of the forest. As you press on into the forest, you hear the shrieks of the Giaks as they discover that their prisoner has literally disappeared in a cloud of smoke!

The man is badly injured and near to death. You use your Kai Discipline of Healing to ease the pain of his wounds but he has been so seriously hurt he is beyond repair by your skills alone. He soon lapses into unconsciousness. You try to make him as comfortable as possible beneath a large forest oak, before leaving and pressing on through the thick woodland towards the northeast.

Fatigued by your exertions, you stop to rest for a few minutes at a fallen tree. You notice a large bundle of women's clothing beneath the trunk.
I'm not normally one to turn down the possibility of free stuff, but the option is there. Should we have a look through this bundle and see if there's anything worth taking, or ignore it and move on?

Without Hunting we'd have been forced into a fight with a couple of Giaks - leaving the poor guy to burn to death is not an option - but otherwise ended up at the same place. I made a couple of minor changes to the text in this update for clarity. If you're curious, you can see the original wording at section 177 and section 330.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Check the bundle. We poke our noses into all we can. :)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

take a look!, loot everything!

Glad to see that hunting is already paying dividends

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The wisdom of the Kai is loot everything.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Poking through women's discarded underwear is a time-honored Kai discipline. Loot the pile!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Let's start our heroic campaign by stealing some panties.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It is the heroic thing to do.

Wrapped in a bundle of women’s clothing is a small velvet purse containing 6 Gold Crowns and a Tablet of Perfumed Soap. You may take these items and continue your journey.
The soap will take up one space in our backpack if we choose to keep it. Vote yea or nae along with the next choice. I don't think we need bother voting over the coins, we'll just take those now (bringing us to a total of 11).

You have been trudging through the forest for nearly two hours. The nagging fear that you are lost begins to seem a reality. Apart from the occasional cry of a Kraan in the far distance, you have seen or heard no evidence that the enemy is in this part of the forest. As you descend a rocky hillock, you see something unusual in the tangled woods ahead.

Surrounded by thorny briars and closely packed roots, you see the entrance of a tunnel disappearing into the hillside beyond. It is approximately seven feet in height and just over ten feet wide. As you get closer, you can feel a slight breeze coming from the inky blackness. If the other end of this tunnel emerges on the far side of the hill, it could save you many hours of difficult climbing. But it could also harbour unknown danger.

So those are our options. Over the hill or through it?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 22, 2017

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yea on the soap. It's not like we have much else to keep in our packs as of yet. We might as well keep the soap in case we need to smell pretty.

Through the hill. Unknown danger is the best kind of danger!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

nae on the soap the fancy smell will probably bring monsters. Also let's go around the scary cave

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Get the soap and into the dark hole

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Get the soap and go the long way.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Get the soap, go into the spooky cave.

I dearly long for a bow.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Materant posted:

I dearly long for a bow.

We do not have a bow and we wish to use it :saddowns:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
No soap, dirtiness is the way of the Kai.

And to get even dirtier, let's go through the cave.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Yea on the soap. It's not like we have much else to keep in our packs as of yet. We might as well keep the soap in case we need to smell pretty.
When do we not need to smell pretty, really?

Comstar posted:

Go the long way.
Over the hill it is, then!

As you begin your climb, you hear the beat of wings approaching from the west. Kraan! By the noise they are making you estimate there are at least ten, perhaps more. You curse your bad luck, for the hillside offers no cover from the sky. If you are attacked during this difficult climb, you will find it nearly impossible to fight back and remain upright at the same time.
Oh right, there's still a whole lot of Kraan flying around. That tunnel's starting to look like a better option. Should we go back and take the tunnel or stick with the hill and just hope not to be spotted?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This is why I told you to go in the cave in the first place. Go Back. We wish to use it but we do not yet have a bow so combat against flying things is a bad idea.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is Flight from the Dark, not 'go into the dark away from the flight'. We have to stay out of dark spaces.

Keep running up that hill.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It may be too late now- they can spot us going down as easily as going up. Continue going up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

This is why I told you to go in the cave in the first place. Go Back. We wish to use it but we do not yet have a bow so combat against flying things is a bad idea.
Can't fault that logic.

The tunnel is dark and the air is much cooler than outside. You carefully advance with one hand on the tunnel wall to aid your sense of direction. You have been in total darkness for three minutes when you detect the foul smell of decay ahead, similar to rotting meat. If you have a Torch and Tinderbox in your Pack, you may light the Torch to see your way ahead.

Suddenly, something heavy drops from the tunnel ceiling onto your back and you fall to your knees. It is a Burrowcrawler and you must fight it, for it is trying to strangle you with its long slimy tentacles.

Burrowcrawler: COMBAT SKILL 17 - ENDURANCE 7

If you do not have a torch, deduct 3 points from your COMBAT SKILL during this fight. The Burrowcrawler is immune to Mindblast and Animal Kinship.
We don't have a torch, and that immunity to Mindblast isn't helping us any either. The note about Animal Kinship is pretty irrelevant since Animal Kinship doesn't generally grant any kind of combat bonus anyway. I guess it's just there to explain why an animal is attacking us on sight rather than being charmed by our powers.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 14 - ENDURANCE 28

The way combat works in these books is a bit interesting. First you need to work out your "combat ratio", which is just the enemy's CS subtracted from yours (so in this case -3). Then you roll a ten-sided die (or use the Random Number Table in the back of the book) and look up the results for the round in the Combat Results Table. Then you just repeat until one or both combatants is dead.

Round One. FIGHT!

We roll: 10
Burrowcrawler: COMBAT SKILL 17 - ENDURANCE 0
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 14 - ENDURANCE 28

Well, that could have gone a lot worse.

The slimy creature lets out a long, ghastly death-cry and collapses. You are near to panic and scramble to your feet, grabbing what you think to be your belt from the jaws of the dead beast. You can see light in the far distance, and you sprint for it as fast as you can. When you finally emerge into the daylight, you fall onto the leafy ground and fight for breath in painful gasps.

Slowly sitting upright, you notice that you are still wearing your belt—you had not lost it after all. What you grabbed from the jaw of the Burrowcrawler was a leather strap with a small pouch and a sheathed Dagger halfway along it. You break open the clasp to find it contains 20 Gold Crowns. You may take both the Dagger and the Crowns if you are able to.

Feeling a little better now, you gather your Equipment together and push on eastwards into the forest.
Once again we'll take the cash automatically and I'll put the dagger up for a vote. Should we keep it? We can carry two weapons at a time and only have one (an axe) at the moment. An extra weapon confers no benefits, but could be handy if we lose the other one.

The forest begins to thin out until finally you can make out a road through the trees ahead. The highway is full of people heading south. Many are wheeling their possessions along on handcarts.
Well, these people are going the same direction we want to be going, so the question is should we join them or stay out of sight?

If we'd continued up the hill we'd have been spotted by kraan and killed.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 23, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I hate arbitrary inventory limits in CYOA games. "You need to discard your anvil in order to pick this key" is stupid, so I usually ignore pack limits if I can reasonably carry all my poo poo.

That said take it and join the party.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You and me both, Samurai.

Stay out of sight. Crowds attract trouble.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Join the group and bring our loot

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Kanthulhu posted:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Stay out of sight

I don't think I've ever seen that cover before. I'm trying hard to place a scene in the book that it actually depicts, and I'm coming up empty.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Kanthulhu posted:

An extra weapon around will be helpful and there is strength in numbers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that cover before. I'm trying hard to place a scene in the book that it actually depicts, and I'm coming up empty.
Yeah, I don't think it does. Probably it was some art the publisher just had available and picked because it looked cool rather than being commissioned for this book. I picked it because it's the cover my copy has and the other versions looked kind of goofy to me.

Comstar posted:

One dagger acquired.

The people look tired and hungry. They have come many miles from their burning city. Suddenly, you hear the beat of huge wings coming from the north.

‘Kraan, Kraan! Hide yourselves!’ the cry goes up all along the road.

Just in front of you, a wagon carrying small children breaks down, its right wheel jammed in a furrow. The children scream in panic.

Should we help the kids or heroically run away?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Let's not be rear end in a top hat Lone Wolf. Help the kids.

Materant fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 24, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Goofy?

Badass. Now act like one.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

He's got some gear there that doesn't belong in this book.

Oh yeah, help the kids.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Children in danger? Save them!. It's hero time!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Save the children, save the world?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Goofy?

Badass.
I actually didn't notice that one. I think I mistook it for book six. I saw these two.

Although looking at them again, the first one isn't so much goofy as creepy.

Anyway, it seems like we're basically all on the same page here with regard to children and not leaving them to be killed by monsters.

You sprint towards the wagon. People are running everywhere in panic as the Kraan make their attack, carrying their poor victims off into the darkening sky. A large Kraan is hovering above the wagon and three snarling Giaks drop from its back onto the startled horses. You must fight them or leave the wagon and run to the safety of a nearby farmhouse.

But on the other hand, there is a farmhouse we could hide in if we want to change our mind and not fight those giaks...

Just saying.

Still want to stay and protect the kids?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 24, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I think that mine was the American version. At least, its the version I had.

Stay and play

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Orcs-I mean Giaks- menacing children? We attack! Huzzah!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I count three weapons in that cover, game. :argh:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Fat Samurai posted:

I count three weapons in that cover, game. :argh:

Maybe one of them is actually a Special Item.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

This one looks like they took a shot of Luke from RotJ and edited his outfit a bit. Also he's totally cheating with that extra weapon.

Played this with my seven year old the other night. I'll have things to say about this and the following choices but I'll hold off for now.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Save the kids.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Maybe one of them is actually a Special Item.

Not in this book, it isn't :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Apparently you're all pretty committed to saving children.

The ghoulish creatures thrust their spears at you and attack. Fight these creatures as a single enemy.
It's often implied in the text that fighting a bunch of enemies as one is a bad thing, but it's actually much better than fighting them each singly. Fighting them as one means they'll possibly be a bit stronger than a standard enemy (but not always). Fighting them as separate enemies means multiple fights, one after the other. Essentially a gauntlet. So this is already working out better than it might have. And these guys aren't too much of a threat to us since our stat roles were pretty decent and we have Mindblast.

Giaks: COMBAT SKILL 15 - ENDURANCE 13
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 - ENDURANCE 28
Combat Ratio: 4

We roll: 3
Giaks: COMBAT SKILL 15 - ENDURANCE 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 - ENDURANCE 25

We roll: 4
Giaks: COMBAT SKILL 15 - ENDURANCE 0
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 - ENDURANCE 23

And that's that. The children are safe, and it's time for us to get moving. Shall we return to the woods or shelter in the nearby farmhouse for a while?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 25, 2017