Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Right makes might. So do swords; take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

achtungnight posted:

Heroes prefer swords. And go left.
All right, dagger goes in backpack then and we'll go left.

Flight from the Dark posted:

You have ridden about three miles when, in the distance, you spot the unmistakable silhouette of five large Doomwolves. Riding on their backs are Giaks. They seem to be going on ahead to where the path leads down into an open meadow. Suddenly, one of the Giaks leaves the others and begins to ride back along the path towards you.
Healing: +1 EP (19/28)

We have two options. Prepare to fight or try to hide.

Had we gone right we'd have died. No warning, no chance of avoiding it, just dead.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We're still kinda beat up. Hide.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Better hide!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Hide. There's five of them plus their wolves and only one of us.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hide, put that camouflage skill to use.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Man, I'd forgotten just how many "gently caress you, die" dick moves there were in the first book.

We picked Camouflage for a reason, best put it to use! Hide.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm pretty sure if you looked at the map the right way to go was left. HIDE

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Materant posted:

Man, I'd forgotten just how many "gently caress you, die" dick moves there were in the first book.
Honestly, not that many compared to some of the others. Especially when you account for how many mutually exclusive paths there are in this one, and how few of them are purely luck based (which always feels pretty bullshit).

Anyway, everyone wants to hide this time so that's what we'll do.

You hide behind some thick bushes so that the Doomwolf and its rider will not see your white horse. Luckily it works—the beast lopes past and vanishes down the track that you have just come along.

Healing: +1 EP (20/28)

One down, four to go. We could attack them, or we could slip away through the forest. The most direct path is the one they're on, but maybe there's a less conspicuous way.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Forest forever

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Bravely go through the forest!

Comstar posted:

I'm pretty sure if you looked at the map the right way to go was left. HIDE

The problem is that although we started heading south, the book describes the path as 'twisting'. We have no way of determining our facing when we reach the junction from context. I think this happens more than once, and it's kind of bothersome that they don't give compass directions.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Forest.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Really tempted to attack, but I think the forest is the better choice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kangra posted:

The problem is that although we started heading south, the book describes the path as 'twisting'. We have no way of determining our facing when we reach the junction from context. I think this happens more than once, and it's kind of bothersome that they don't give compass directions.
It's really inconsistent too. Sometimes you get compass directions, sometimes you don't, and other times it's dependent on having Tracking. Which makes sense if you're underground or something, but not when you're outside in the daytime. I'm a modern person living in a city who hates camping and I can tell which way's north when I'm outside in the daytime. It's not exactly hard to figure out. Anyway, forest.

You ride deeper and deeper into the forest. Silently you thank the Prince for such a fine horse, for although the ground is a tangle of briars and roots, he never once falters. The Doomwolves are soon left far behind and you bring your horse to a halt. The light has faded fast and it is almost night.
Healing: +1 EP (21/28)

OK, the book didn't say so, but we went into the trees to the right of the path. We can now turn left and move parallel to the path and hopefully end up just going past wherever the giaks ended up, or we can carry on in this direction and hope to hit some other road to Holmgard.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I remember always go left being a thing in the old LP for some reason.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree- go left.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:goleft:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Left is right.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Looks like we've got a consensus again.

You soon emerge from the woods onto a main highway. You recognize it as being the main road between the port of Toran in the north and the capital in the south. Spurring your horse on, you estimate you will reach the capital by morning.

Healing: +1 EP (22/28)

As you ride along the highway, you notice that light is getting worse. It will soon be completely dark—and impossible to see any dangers that may lurk ahead. You decide to hide and rest at the wood’s edge until morning.

When you are satisfied that no one can see you, you pull your warm green cloak about you and drift off into an uneasy sleep.

Healing: +1 EP (23/28)

You are awoken by the cries of Kraan high above you in the clear morning sky. Rubbing your eyes, you peer upwards through the canopy of branches to see three of the loathsome creatures fly off towards the north.

You are sure you have not been spotted, but perhaps it would be best to leave now—just in case. You mount your horse and ride south along the highway.

Healing: +1 EP (24/28)

You have ridden several miles and have seen no sign of refugees or of the enemy. You race on towards a high ridge in the middle distance. You should be able to see the capital from there.

As you reach the peak, the sight that meets you on the far side is one of hope—but there is still one challenge you know you have to face.

Healing: +1 EP (25/28)

Before you are the tall grey-white walls and glimmering spires of Holmgard, the city’s banners fluttering from the battlements in the fresh morning breeze. Stretching out towards the west, the River Eledil traces its course from the mountains of the Durncrag Range to the Holmgulf. But below the mountain peaks you can see a vast black army marching relentlessly on towards the capital.

To your right you can see the highway heading off over the rolling plain towards Holmgard. At a gallop you could make the outer fieldworks of the city’s defences in less than an hour, but you would be in the open for most of the time and vulnerable to attack by Kraan. Directly ahead of you, a wide river drifts sluggishly towards the Eledil. If you abandoned your horse, you could swim towards the outer defences under cover of the river banks. Or there is a final alternative. To your left lies the Graveyard of the Ancients. These tombs and crumbling monuments to a forgotten age would conceal your approach but it is a forbidden area. Many are the unnamed horrors that lie there in restless sleep, waiting to consume the unwary trespasser.

Healing: +1 EP (26/28)

Well, what'll it be? Highway, river or graveyard?

It strikes me as a very odd decision to have so many numbered sections with no decisions there. There aren't even any luck rolls. All it does is give anyone who chose Healing a chance to recover a chunk of Endurance, and if Dever wanted the player to get some health back here he could have just put it in the text. In some similar instances there are multiple ways to reach the same sections, skipping one, two, three or more of them depending on your choices, but I don't think that's the case here. You either get all of them or none. Maybe he ended up a few sections short and decided to pad it a bit? :iiam:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

No way like the highway!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I usually do the Graveyard, but this time I pick the river. The water could be good cover if we must hide.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Graveyard sounds like the more exciting approach

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Take me to the river.

Perhaps the multiple connected paragraphs are a sort of pacing thing - a page-long section feels like it's important. I always figured there was some amount of editing to break the paragraphs up into similarly-sized sections as well, to keep the long ones from being too obvious. Either that or it's the illusion of choice.

I know some of the CYOA have had directed graphs made of them. I think it's been done for at least some of the Lone Wolf series, too. I wonder how they compare.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Highway, so that we can keep the horse.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Graveyard sounds like the best way to avoid attention and maybe gently caress up some zombies or something

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Graveyard. It'll be fun!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Higher risks mean higher rewards (usually).
Graveyard.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Highway, so that we can keep the horse.
Yeah, about that...

Flight from the Datk posted:

Urging your horse forward, you gallop down the long stretch of highway towards the capital. After only a few minutes your horse suddenly slows and finally limps to a halt. You dismount and examine its raised right foreleg. You curse your ill luck, for you see that it has thrown a shoe and injured its hoof quite badly. You will have to leave him here and proceed on foot as quickly as you can.

Healing: +1 EP (27/28)

Bracing yourself for the run, you head off down the ridge at a steady pace. To the west, the army of the Darklords looks like a giant pot of black ink that has been spilled between the mountains and is spreading into the land below.

You have been running for twenty minutes when you catch sight of a pack of Doomwolves lining a shallow ridge to your right.

Healing: +1 EP (28/28)

We could try to hide and hope they pass us by, or we could keep running and hope they don't chase us.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Keep running. We've got full health, time to live dangerously!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, about that...

:argh:

Hide, maybe we'll get to use camouflage this time.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007

Avalerion posted:

:argh:

Wolfs would just sniff us out. Therefore they would never think that we would Hide

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Run. Away from the scouts towards the huge bad guy army.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I always either take the river or the graveyard, running straight towards the entirety of the enemy army always seems like a pretty obvoius game over to me.

Keep running We have enough to health to take any kind of damage from a fight that might occur.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Keep running We have enough to health to take any kind of damage from a fight that might occur.
Well...

Messengers of death—and ones eager to deliver their news—the Doomwolves surround and then attack you. Valiantly you fight, but it is to no avail for there are too many of them.

As your life’s blood seeps away and eternal dark approaches, the last sight you remember is the glint of sunlight on the spires of Holmgard.

You have failed in your mission.
Death count: 1

Good thing that was just a vision sent by Ishir, Goddess of the Moon, and not what really happened.

Avalerion posted:

Not at this time, but we've still got one potential opportunity to use it before the end of the book.

You are lucky, they do not seem to have spotted you. They slowly move on and have soon disappeared along the far side of the ridge. You continue your run.

You are sweating and your legs ache. In the middle distance you can see a group of cottages.
Should we stop for a rest, or keep running?

The decision to try to outrun the Doomwolves only results in death 50% of the time. Unfortunately I rolled a 2.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cottages might have loot, rest.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Time for a little rest.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Rest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You stumble into the first building and fall to the floor exhausted. You can smell cooked meat. You notice a small cauldron hanging over the embers of a dying fire, and a large oak table that has been set for a meal. Whoever lived here must have left in a great hurry this very morning. There is water in a jug and a loaf of fresh bread on the table.

Although a little overcooked, the food tastes fine (although it is not enough for a whole Meal) and the clear water slakes your thirst. You have spent nearly half an hour resting in this house when you suddenly realize the delay. You decide that you have wasted enough time here and must press on.

You have run about a mile when three soldiers appear from beneath a small footbridge. They demand that you halt and drop your weapons and equipment.

They are bloodstained and unshaven. Their leader is wearing the tunic of a soldier of the Toran garrison.

Should we do as they ask, attack them, or demand an explanation?

I skipped a choice here because it was completely pointless. Actually, I probably should have skipped the cottage entirely, because it does nothing but waste time. You get the option to stop and then the option to eat some food or search the place (but not both) and then you carry on exactly as though you'd never bothered to stop. The food has no effect and there's nothing else to find. The only possible consequence is if you have Healing then you get even more opportunity to recover some Endurance - but we're already back at full health.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This appears to be unauthorized looting. I doubt it requires explanation. Attack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We just offed a Gourgaz, killing these poor bastards should be child's play in comparison.