Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Main gate to keep an ablative shield of civilians around us.

Ablative shield sounds good since our Kai Mistress is still kinda beat up. Main gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Main gate Let's dare him to attack us.

sunburnedcrow fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 15, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nelson posted:

Side gate. Let’s kill more thugs!
Hey, maybe we'll manage to be sneaky.

The Buccaneers of Shadaki posted:

You force your way through the teeming crowd and reach the side gate, but only to discover that it is chained shut. Looking around you see Wrok’s conspirators are beginning to close in from all sides.

You say the words of the Brotherhood Spell Lightning Hand and point your outstretched arm at the chains which secure the side gate.

We roll: 7.

A tingle rushes down your arm and a bolt of blue-white energy leaps from your hand to strike the chain. Unfortunately it glances off the hardened iron links, leaving them scorched but not severed.

You spring forward and take a running leap at the gate. The momentum of your run carries you high enough to grab the crossbar and pull yourself astride it. You offer Melchar your hand and as soon as he grips it firmly you haul him up. As he struggles to pull himself over the top, one of Wrok’s men grabs him by the legs. A desperate tug-of-war ensues between you and the henchmen, with the unlucky Melchar in the role of the rope. Suddenly the henchmen release his legs and you and your companion tumble over the gate to land with a thud on the street outside the racetrack.

You are getting to your feet when you hear the crowd around you are laughing, but it is not until you look at Melchar that you understand why. In the struggle with the henchmen the young journeyman has lost his breeches. Red-faced with embarrassment, Melchar shouts for you to follow him as he pushes his way through the giggling citizens and enters a narrow alleyway between two shops.

Melchar’s nakedness draws cries of laughter and outrage as you scurry through the maze of passages that lead away from the racetrack. The young journeyman needs some new breeches and he needs them soon, for you are sorely aware that the cries are making it very easy for Wrok’s henchmen to follow your trail.

You explain the problem to Melchar and he solves it by swiping a pair of lady’s pink pantaloons from a washing line that is strung across the alley. Their furious owner sees him stealing her gaudy garment from her bedroom window, and she hurls a chamber pot at him in a desperate attempt to stop him getting away. Unfortunately, the pot hits you on the back of the head (lose 1 ENDURANCE point). As you escape along the winding alleyway, you rub the bruise that is rising on your head and curse your luck. But you are grateful of one thing: at least the chamber pot was empty!

You follow Melchar through the alleyways of the east quarter which take you all the way back to The Song of the Silver Star tavern. The young journeyman laughs with sheer relief at having escaped from Wrok’s henchmen when finally you enter the sanctuary of the inn’s crowded taproom. The innkeeper asks Melchar if he bought his pantaloons with the proceeds of his winnings at the racetrack. He replies that, thanks to your advice, he did not bet. The only thing he lost was his breeches and he proceeds to tell the innkeeper how that came about. The man frowns.

‘Wrok’s not a man to cross, y’know,’ he warns. ‘He’s ruthless when it comes to getting even. I think you two had better stay in the attic tonight. Wrok’s sure to send his lackeys out a-huntin’ for you.’

You heed the innkeeper’s warning and spend the night hidden in his attic room. Before dawn breaks you slip out of the tavern by a back door and say farewell to Melchar in the street outside.

‘Captain Leonghi’s ship is moored down at the docks,’ he says. ‘It’s called Embassage. I wish you a swift and safe journey to Nhang, Braveheart. I’ll always remember our little adventure at the Caeno Derby and I hope we’ll meet again one day when you return home to Sommerlund.’

Endurance: 21/35.

You find your way to the docks and discover Captain Leonghi’s ship moored at the end of the quay. It is a battered old trader that is in desperate need of a lick of paint, but it looks seaworthy enough. The crewman on watch is expecting you and he invites you aboard. The captain greets you with a wry smile. He has heard stories about the incident at the Caeno Derby yesterday and he insists that you remain in your cabin until the Embassage is safely out at sea. You agree to his request and descend the prow-deck ladder to your cabin below.

Unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

The two-day voyage to Nhang passes swiftly and without incident and you arrive at the port early on the morning of the third day. The entrance to Nhang harbour is noted for its eighty fearsome stone statues, known as ‘The Warriors of Nhang’, which stand in two lines and form a double colonnade out into the sea. Their ferocious granite faces glare down at you unmercifully as the Embassage sails between them and docks at the quay.

Before you disembark, Captain Leonghi warns you to be on your guard while you are in the city. The natives still harbour loyalties to the memory of Shasarak, and recent uprisings have led to the imposition of a dusk-to-dawn curfew. He advises you to go directly to the city of Tiklu and seek out his cousin Gemulkin. He, too, is a merchant captain and he regularly plies a trader between Tiklu and the Port of Suhn. Leonghi gives you a scroll (record this Special Item on your Action Chart as Leonghi’s Scroll; you keep it in a pocket of your tunic). It is a letter of introduction which bears his seal, and in it he asks his cousin to take you to Suhn.

You thank the captain for all his help and then disembark onto Nhang quay. You leave the port area and follow The Street of the Full Moon—the main thoroughfare which bisects the city and ends at its West Gate. Your first impressions of Nhang are mixed. The striking design and construction of its buildings amaze you, but the dismal mood of its natives and the large number of street beggars leave you with the feeling that the city could erupt at any time.

You pass many hundreds of shops and they all appear dingy and uninteresting until you happen upon a triangular building, created by a fork in the road. It has no sign stating its business, but by the nature of the various goods displayed in its window you judge it to be an emporium.
Shall we do some shopping or keep walking?

If we'd had a blanket we could have saved Melchar some embarrassment and ourselves a lost Endurance point.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Keep walking. We're nearing our goal and this place seems unfriendly.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Shop. I bet that store has either more bad comedy or a mcguffin we need.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Shop. I bet that store has either more bad comedy or a mcguffin we need.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Shop.

And I'm incredibly disappointed that we weren't able to get ourselves killed with that chamber-pot in the most humiliating death ever.

quote:

Here lies Braveheart, killed by a chamberpot when attempting to steal a woman's laundry.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Shop
That went better than expected. I was expecting to fight some guards.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Shop and buy any healing potions we can.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Let's go in the store and find 5000 copies of that special doll we sold off.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Shop and buy any healing potions we can.
They do tend to be the only thing that's actually guaranteed to be useful.

As you enter you are greeted by the shop’s owner. He is a bony man, with a streaked grey beard and moustache which he habitually tugs as he speaks. His skin is pale and wrinkled, and he appears to be older than his years.

Among the items that he has on display are the following which catch your eye:
  • Sword—2 Nobles
  • Whip—2 Nobles
  • Axe—2 Nobles
  • Bow—3 Nobles
  • 6 Arrows—2 Nobles
  • Spyglass—3 Nobles
  • Quill Pen—1 Noble
  • Pot of Ink—2 Nobles
The owner asks if you have anything you wish to sell. He says that he is particularly interested in Kitaezi artefacts and he will pay the following prices for these items:
  • Pouch of Seota Dust—10 Nobles
  • Talisman of Defiance—15 Nobles
  • Eye of Lhaz—20 Nobles
(If you wish to purchase or sell any of the above items, make the appropriate adjustments to your Action Chart.)

Your advanced healing skills tell you that the owner of the shop is a very sick man. You sense that his illness is caused by his constant exposure to the vapours from dyes and potions that he keeps in stock. You offer to help cure him of his ailment and at first he is sceptical. In the past he has wasted hundreds of Nobles on physicians and their quack remedies, and all to no avail. It is not until you offer to treat him without charge that he has a sudden change of heart.

You place one hand on his chest and the other on his forehead. Then you concentrate on projecting your healing power into his body and you sense that toxins in his blood are beginning to disappear. Gradually his damaged internal organs rejuvenate and his skin takes on a healthy glow.

Astonished and delighted by the miraculous recovery you have brought about, the shopkeeper takes from around his neck a valuable emerald medallion and he insists that you accept it as a token of his thanks.

If you wish to accept this Emerald Medallion, record it on your Action Chart as a Special Item which you keep in your pocket.

You leave the shop and depart from the city of Nhang through its West Gate, following the main trade road that leads to the city of Jazer, 40 miles to the west. There are many fellow travellers on this road. Some, like you, travel alone and on foot. Others journey in convoys of ox-drawn wagons heavily laden with wares. You try to hitch a ride aboard these convoys but without success, and so you resign yourself to the fact that you have a long day’s walk ahead.

At noon you come to a village where the road enters some hilly timberland. A sprawling taverna dominates the village, providing meals for travellers. There are more than a dozen wagons parked outside its doors and many sullen-faced natives are sitting on nearby benches eating their midday meals.
  1. What, if anything, do we buy?
  2. Do we sell the Talisman of Defiance and/or the Eye of Lhaz?
  3. Do we take the Emerald Medallion?
  4. Shall we enter the taverna or keep walking?

I'm willing to class the whip as either a weapon or a backpack item since the book doesn't specify. Nobles are worth exactly the same as Gold Crowns and take up the same amount of space.

Weapons:
  1. Bow
  2. Spear
    Belt Pouch (full)
  • 30 Gold Crowns
  • 20 Nobles
    Backpack:
  1. 3 Fish Hooks
  2. Bottle of Rice Wine
  3. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  4. Flute
  5. Lantern
  6. Rope
  7. Meal
  8. Meal
  9. Meal
  10. Meal
    Special Items:
  1. Moonstone
  2. Quiver (six arrows)
  3. Alema (axe; +5 CS or +7 CS vs. undead)
  4. Temujun's Ring
  5. Crystal Prism
  6. Leonghi’s Scroll
  7. Talisman of Defiance (+2 CS)
  8. Eye of Lhaz (control venomous snakes)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Accept the Emerald Medallion, Buy nothing, sell nothing, check out taverna.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Accept the Emerald Medallion, Buy nothing spyglass, sell nothing, check out taverna.

This seems like a reasonable course of action.

e: Decided spyglass would be cool.

nelson fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 16, 2018

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

achtungnight posted:

Sounds good to me.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

achtungnight posted:

I wanted to say buy the spyglass, but we actually have loving magic eyes so let's go witht the above.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Accept Medallion, buy a spyglass, sell nothing
For the talisman, we have no idea when Dever will simply ignore the fact that we have magical eyes.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sunburnedcrow posted:

For the talisman, we have no idea when Dever will simply ignore the fact that we have magical eyes.

Truth.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The game mentions on like every third section that we magnify our vision, so it'd be really rather glaring for it to forget we have that ability and require the spyglass. Which isn't to say it wouldn't happen. :sigh:

Still, take medallion, buy nothing, sell nothing.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

sunburnedcrow posted:

This.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Buy spyglass.
OK, spent 3 Nobles and dropped a Meal to make room.

The inside of the taverna is crowded with travellers eating their meals, and serving girls rushing to and fro clutching trays piled high with food and ale. All of the tables are occupied and there are no spare places.

‘We’re full up—can’t you see that!’ bellows a surly waitress. She slams her tray down on a nearby table, startling the meek-faced group of pilgrims who are seated there.

‘If you want food it’ll cost you 4 Nobles … and you’ll have to eat it outside!’

The meals here are very expensive, but your rumbling stomach reminds you that you are very hungry and the city of Jazer is still half a day’s walk away.
Shallwe buy some food or go back outside and catch something to eat?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Go outside. If Grand Huntmastery can't get us a meal when we're surrounded by food then I will be severely disappointed. Granted that food doesn't belong to us, but neither do the rabbits and so on that we presumably snack on normally.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Nuts to this. We can probably catch much better food ourselves. Lets take a walk.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Spend the 4 fake money. Only gold crowns are real money.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Money is for spending. Buy some food, eat outside.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Money is for spending. Buy some food, eat outside.

Serves us right for being too stupid to eat the Meal we dropped!

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Buy some food It may end up being delicious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Go outside. If Grand Huntmastery can't get us a meal when we're surrounded by food then I will be severely disappointed. Granted that food doesn't belong to us, but neither do the rabbits and so on that we presumably snack on normally.

You leave the taverna and follow the road into dense timberland. It is an uncomfortably hot and humid region, and you are made to feel even more uncomfortable by swarms of tiny insects that bite any exposed areas of your flesh (lose 2 ENDURANCE points). Judging by the number of bites you sustain, you suspect that these insects consider Sommlending flesh to be something of a delicacy. During your trek to Jazer, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must eat a Meal or lose a further 3 ENDURANCE points.

As the sun approaches the horizon, the road passes across a high plateau before descending towards the shimmering green waters of the Jazer Strait. The city of Jazer nestles in a wooded bay and you arrive at its east gate shortly after sunset. A notice board fixed to the gatehouse wall informs you that you have missed the last ferry, a service which carries road travellers across the strait to connect with the trade road to Tiklu and beyond. The next ferry leaves tomorrow morning at an hour after dawn.

It is a warm night, and as you wander through the streets of this city, you contemplate where you should best spend it.

Endurance: 19/35.
Shall we find lodging or sleep in the open?

Buying the meal doesn't prevent you losing the 2 EP, but if we'd chosen not to enter the taverna at all then it would only have been 1 EP.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Find lodging. We need to keep those insects off our superior Sommlending skin.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Find lodging. We got plenty of money.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Sleep in the open.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sunburnedcrow posted:

Find lodging. We need to keep those insects off our pure white Sommlending skin.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Sleep in the open.
These insects clearly have better taste than the local humans, we should support them!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Find lodging.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Sleeping in the open is not a very safe option in a totally unknown location...
Find lodging.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Sleep in the open.

Following the city’s signposts, you make your way down to the ferry station. Adjacent to this station is a marine timber yard and a chandler’s warehouse. The smell of freshly-sawn timbers reminds you of the Fryelund Forest which surrounds your Kai Monastery. It is a memory that makes you feel a little homesick. The timber yard is deserted and so you decide to sleep this night among its stacks of pine and oak.

We roll: 6.

You are awoken during the night by the sound of squeaking. You prise open your eyes and, using your infravision, you see a pair of rats are busily gnawing at your Backpack. You lash out with your fist and they run squealing for the safety of the darkness.

Any food (Meals) that you have in your Backpack has been spoiled by the rats (erase all Meals from your Action Chart).

After this disturbance, you find it difficult to return to sleep. Erase 1 ENDURANCE point due to a broken night’s rest.

Endurance: 18/35.

You wake with the rising sun and take time to fix your damaged Backpack before leaving the timber yard to walk to the neighbouring ferry station. You can see the ferry approaching across the strait. It is loaded with carts and horses and more than a hundred people. A queue has formed at the station gate where a ferryman is waiting to collect the crossing fare. A board slung around his chest informs you that the price of the crossing is 2 Nobles.

15 Nobles and 30 Gold Crowns remain.

You hand over your money to the ferryman and take a place at the bow. As you wait for the vessel to cast off, you look around at your fellow travellers and notice that most are merchants with wagons and handcarts loaded with goods destined for the markets of Tiklu. It is a short voyage of 20 miles across the strait. When the ferry approaches the landing jetty, your fellow passengers get ready to leave. As they disembark, one merchant’s small cart is overturned and his cargo is spilled onto the shore. The other merchants push past him, but you feel sorry for his plight and you help to calm his carthorse and retrieve his goods. He is very grateful for your assistance and he offers you a ride to Tiklu aboard his cart which you willingly accept.

During the journey to Tiklu you learn much from Tzai—your talkative companion. He tells you tales about the local history of this region, its ancient legends and heroes, and about the dark days not so long ago when it was ruled by Shasarak, the infamous Wytch-king of Shadaki.

The journey passes swiftly in his good company and you arrive at Tiklu during the afternoon. It is a bustling port which stands at the edge of the Sea of Winds, and is second only in size and importance to the City of Shadaki itself. Tzai is welcomed by the guards on watch at the gate who wave as you pass beneath its mighty arch. It is clear from their reaction that your companion is a popular man. As you travel along a paved avenue towards the heart of Tiklu, Tzai asks where you are going to stay during your visit. When you cannot readily answer his question, he invites you to stay at his house tonight. Gratefully you accept his generous invitation.

Tzai’s house is located in the centre of the city, opposite the main market square and its municipal buildings. It is a large dwelling and much of it is a warehouse given over to the storage of his goods. You are greeted by his family and he takes great delight in introducing them to you. You meet his brother Chinn, his wife Tuvei, his two teenage daughters Leadu and Leiga, and his young son Undai. His wife and children seem very pleased to have you staying as a guest, but his brother Chinn views you with suspicion. You can tell from his cold reaction that he does not think very highly of foreigners.

Later you share supper with the family and you tell Tzai that tomorrow you will look for Captain Leonghi’s cousin, Gemulkin. You hand him the scroll that the captain gave you and he passes it to his brother. He says that Chinn has many friends at the dock and he asks his brother if he recognizes the name. Chinn shakes his head tersely and barely glances at the scroll before handing it back. He then leaves the table and goes to his room. As you watch him leave, your Sixth Sense tells you that he knows Gemulkin very well.

After supper, Tzai invites you on a tour of his warehouse. While you are looking at the hundreds of fascinating items that he sells, you suddenly hear shouting coming from outside in the main market square. A noisy mob has gathered to denounce Dhanchai, the city’s mayor. They are demanding that Koogha, a former Shadakine warlord, be returned to power. The city militia arrive to disperse this unruly crowd, but a struggle breaks out and soon the two sides are fighting openly in the square. Suddenly the warehouse door bursts open and a dozen men armed with knives and clubs begin to loot the shelves. Then Chinn comes running through from the house, alerted by the noise. He is armed with a stave with which he attacks the looters. One of them knocks it from his hand and another grabs him from behind and pins his arms to his side. Tzai screams as a third looter advances towards his helpless brother with a knife in his hand.
Shall we use our bow or our axe?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Let’s bow it up.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We have a bow- however, we wish to use our axe. :D

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sure, with the bow maybe we can scare them off instead of having to murder literally all of them. Plus I bet our friend will be less traumatized that way.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
We have a bow and we wish to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

sunburnedcrow posted:

We have a bow and we wish to use it