Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I won't be taking part in this book as I'm still playing it, but allow me to summarise: it can gently caress right off. There's an instadeath at practically every turn and some of them hit you if you do sensible things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It's in book 15. I'll point it out when we get there.

For me, this is pretty much were it starts getting good. I like the Kai series, but the Magnakai series is a bit more varied and interesting, and the Grand Master series steps it up to a whole other level and elaborates on a lot of the world-building, which I find pretty fun.

I like the world-building, but this is where I started hating the gameplay. Too many situations where you pick the wrong choice and die, and there's either no hints as to the right choice or it's counter-intuitive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tiggum posted:

My mistake. The bronin warhammer doesn't come up again at all. I was going on what the Lone Wolf wiki says and it's wrong. The section it mentions refers to weapon-like special items and as Materant points out the bronin warhammer is not one (although it probably should be, in my opinion).

I don't think the book says that. You're right that there is no Divination check but there is a Curing check to detect the poison in the wine. Also you can just leave. It's not like the unavoidable "roll a die to see if you live" sections in books two and four.

At least those are only one in 10 to die, though. There's one book that literally ends with a choice of three options of which one or more are instadeaths, and you get no hint as to what the right choice is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ulmont posted:

Stone jetty :goleft:

"What's this place called?"

"Castle Death."

"Sounds cool, let's go in through the front door!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

"Always take a Rope if you don't have a Rope" should be Rule 1 of these books. Take the Robe as well, the Pretend To Be An Evil Cultist possibilities are too obvious to overlook.

Go through the trapdoor, it seems to work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I thought rule one was "we have a bow and we wish to use it".

We don't always have a Bow or the chance to use it. Rope seems to crop up in every book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Excuse me, but I think you overlooked the option to LOOT.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

victrix posted:

Holy poo poo

Book 9 spoilers

I beat Zakhan Kimah on my second attempt. I was convinced I'd have to cheat to get past him, was trying to find a route through the book that'd drop the Summerswerd (which I did) and not retrieve it before fighting him (which I didn't). Some ridiculous luck got me past though. Now to see if I get past the next impossible cockblock I've heard about coming up in... 11 I think? Joe was bad at combat design :(

I just pounded through the rest of the Kai Master books and don't recall anything hard in 11. Book 8 has the worst combat cockblock in the first two series. A mid-book fight against an almost unbeatable enemy, and only one way to avoid it too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

He's scared, let's scare him at point blank range with our super-weapon?

Bow

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

We have a use and we wish to bow it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There's no such thing as a bad bow job.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

We have a bow and wish to use it later. Also take the herbs. Then move on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Go West, young man, and break bread in a new land.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Pass through the red light. I'm sure it's just flavor.

If it's red light, it's probably strawberry. Tiggum, cast my vote on the basis of whether or not you like strawberry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Take the sword.

And what do you mean, the Android app is only up to The Legacy of Vashna?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Let's not. We walked through lasers and didn't get hurt. If I saw a memory foam mattress with a beautiful naked woman on it offering passionate lovemaking I'd assume it was a deadly carnivorous mattress and the girl was its lure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Leraika posted:

Man, remember when I said 'oh I'm glad they lay off the random insta-deaths later on'?

I was a fool, a damned fool, and also forgetful as hell.

edit: not spoilers

Yeah, you were a damned fool because they actually made them worse. One book in the Grand Master series has you go through the entire book before throwing up back to back random instadeath rolls to reach 350.

Then again, about 80% of the gameplay in the Grand Master series is picking the disciplines in exactly the right order to avoid being DMW from page 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Talk to the hand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The first equation excludes one daughter, the second excludes one son. That reduces it to:

Daughters = D
Sons = S

1) D-1 = S - > S+1 = D
2) D = 2(S-1) - > 2S-2 = D

Subtract 1 from 2 to give

S-3=0

So there are three sons, and thus four daughters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

We are a platform gamer, not a corridor gamer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Welease Bwian!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Let's do whatever seems stupidest!

Step into the light.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Broken Box posted:

Jetty. Why swim when we got a ride stashed for us?

Also, RIP all the prisoners and slaves under the collapsing castle, I guess. Load bearing Lorestones are an OSHA nightmare.

I don't think the employees at Evil Overlord's Torture Dungeon get survey forms asking if the rack is at the correct level for them to view without hurting their neck, or if they need an orthopaedic Iron Maiden.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

:frogout:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

anakha posted:

Toss the scroll for the map, and let's take the overland route. Our past history shows that anytime we step on board a boat we invite disaster.

+1 to this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jackard posted:

What's it do then. If you don't know then toss it in the river with the rest.

It does fire.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jackard posted:

Alright then. But let's ditch the other trash. Why do we even have this poo poo.

Also why are we carrying no food?

Because we have Huntmastery? Also you can pick up a couple of meals at the start of every book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If we wanted to be wet, we'd have taken the loving boat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tiggum posted:

JD: Gary, can you draw a beautiful young woman?
GC: Like this?
JD: ...
JD: Close enough.

To be fair, Jamie Lee Curtis was pretty drat hot in 1984. (And is still a handsome woman now, for that matter.) Gary Chalk just couldn't draw her very well.

Let's buy a ticket.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jackard posted:

he enters lotus state and draws energy from the cosmos. also has no need for sleep

Kai monks, the original Breatharians.

And yeah, refuse the food. I ain't eating poo poo if you say grace in Giak.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Materant posted:

Pretty much. The Grandmaster Kai Disciplines might as well be magic (and actually are, in two cases) compared to even the Magnakai Disciplines.

The two magic ones aren't Kai disciplines, though. They're teachings made available to the Kai by Banedon's order of Mages.

On the other hand, by that point Lone Wolf is aging only one year for every seven that pass, which is a serious level of Zen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Walk on by... (doo doo-doo, be doo doo)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Why can't we have both?

(Answer: after you goony fuckers pick the wrong one we probably will.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

We have a fruit and wish to use it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yes. We have a meme and wish to use it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Helios Grime posted:

We just filled up our EP for this miniboss. :black101:FIGHT:black101:

Also Paido really needs to start and pull his weight here. The book doesn't make him out to be especially useful, I expected more from a fricking Battlemage.

This is Lone Wolf, not Party of Five. That's why the books always say "YOU are the Hero!", not "WHO is going to play the Cleric?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

We wish a bow and used to have it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tiggum posted:

But this is actually the point where my knowledge of the series gets a little less complete, since I never had books 9-13 (or 15) as a child and have only read them once or twice before.

You missed book 13? Lucky man. I know you say no spoilers, but if we get to that point we may need them because the railroading on disciplines is ridiculous. It's obscenely hard if you pick the right ones, but if you don't you're all but a dead man walking from page 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I'll keep that in mind and figure out a solution if I have to. Like how in Book 2 we'd have been dead if we hadn't picked Animal Kinship - I was going to show off the death and then go back and let us follow the noodnik anyway. Also there's been the rule since the beginning (that I've never had cause to implement) that if we die to an unavoidable fight/mishap then we'll just keep walking around with negative Endurance for a while. So I've got some plans in place for avoiding situations where we'd basically have to restart an entire book.

Well, I'm going to have to exempt myself from the vote at that point.