Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is Flight from the Dark, not 'go into the dark away from the flight'. We have to stay out of dark spaces.

Keep running up that hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Where do I go now? I'm wearing leather pants and Flying from the Dark, Where do I go now?

A Farmhouse!

This is the knocking song, I'm knocking on a door. Knock knock knock, knock knock knock, knock forevermore!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Wrestle Gourgaz George to the ground!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Right makes might. So do swords; take it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Bravely go through the forest!

Comstar posted:

I'm pretty sure if you looked at the map the right way to go was left. HIDE

The problem is that although we started heading south, the book describes the path as 'twisting'. We have no way of determining our facing when we reach the junction from context. I think this happens more than once, and it's kind of bothersome that they don't give compass directions.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Take me to the river.

Perhaps the multiple connected paragraphs are a sort of pacing thing - a page-long section feels like it's important. I always figured there was some amount of editing to break the paragraphs up into similarly-sized sections as well, to keep the long ones from being too obvious. Either that or it's the illusion of choice.

I know some of the CYOA have had directed graphs made of them. I think it's been done for at least some of the Lone Wolf series, too. I wonder how they compare.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Get an explanation before we kill them. Or at least ask for one.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Let's not smash up other people's stuff. Leave.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

We are not waving but drowning swimming to shore.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Oh! I know how you solve this one: You ask the truth-telling knight, "If I were to ask you who the evil person on this trip is, which person would you say?"

e: Be sure to read over the update on the previous page.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That tattoo is probably the biggest clue to the culprit, although the other was picked up on by UnwiseTrout - he seems to not know about the war going on but ought to as a Sommlending. Possibly it's also curious that he traveled 'by coach' if he went all the way, given that the enemy had the city surrounded by land.

He's the second-most suspicious passenger on the coach — the first being the 'simple peasant' who carries weapons and a fancy cloak and tosses gold crowns around like itikar droppings.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There's only one right way to go!

Tiggum posted:

You know what, you are 100% correct. My print copy has that image the other way around.

The people at the Sommerlund Herpetological Institute must get so annoyed that everyone confuses the tattoos they get with those folks in the Sinister Serpent Assassins Guild.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Something tells me we mustn't fail to not help, or we might end up not alive later.

Help them.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

That is dangerously close to being a spoiler, so it's a good thing you're wrong. As with the previous decision, both choices are viable in this version.

I realized that regardless of what it was referring to, to an outside observer it looks exactly like a spoiler, or at least a winking reference. I think if I were reading this new, that sort of thing would annoy me, and I'll refrain from hinting at things before we get to them.

(I'll still vote, because my choices are all over the place with respect to foreknowledge.)

Ignore the szalls, heal the wounded guy.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Helghasts? Scolar Visari's people? Here?

Sorry, wrong game. ;)

Wrong game, right guy. The late Joe Dever did some uncredited work on the story for the original Killzone.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I know there was a mobile game made, and that's probably the same thing, though I haven't played either of them. Haven't heard much good about it.

I don't know if there is any 'darklord script', but that image is in Giak, so I wondered what it actually says:

ORGADAK SHADA
TAAG OKAK-
ORGADAK OK-
NARA EK
ASH JEK EG
HELGEDAD

Near as I can tell from the Giak word list it's something like 'kill the human soldiers, capture the officers, and take them to Helgedad'.

e: The language is Giak, but I don't know what the script is actually called. The same alphabet symbols are seen on some human things, so it's presumably a common one. I imagine it's like the Latin script, with the letters having potentially different sounds in different languages.

As for this section, let's see where that detour goes.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 13, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Port Bax is where we supposed to land by boat originally. We don't need one any more, so let's get to City Hall.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Pass? We don't need a pass, sir, we have a pet seal who clearly needs to take a swim in the harbor. Let us through the red gate!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

While this is one of my favorite of the books, it is kind of amusing how it's suddenly become this game of bureaucratic navigation. The sudden necessity of having to find the 'consulate' and obtain passes is kind of a far cry from the typical fantasy world of relying on the word of the nobility or knowledge of someone's father/master/comrade-in-arms.

Let's give our money to the paper-boy.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You can also be in a dead man walking state if you're dumb enough to sell the Seal of Hammerdal (it's an option in Ragadorn), but I'd say you deserve that one if it happens.

We should run away.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

To the tower!

The 'official' (which is to say, extratextual and thus not binding on this LP) word on the Sommerswerd is that it is in indeed not a weapon, just a Special Item that boosts combat ability. I think that's silly, and good on you for making it more sane.

The source in this case is the Reader's Handbook, which I'm pretty sure cites one of the newsletters that clarified it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I may as well vote for Mind Over Matter just because nobody likes it.

Take the waistcoat and meal. Drop the ticket, put the passes in our locker.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Leraika posted:

That child is clearly actually a very tiny man.

And older than his father. They must be a race of Benjamin Buttons.

With slanted eyes. There's no way we can withstand them! Run Away.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Goodness gracious. Take the ball of fire and the triangle pendant.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Eat the rope, take the meal, and head left east.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

If I know anything about monoliths, there's a 1 in 3 chance they will teach you Weaponskill. So let's draw our sword to get ready for instruction.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So wel'll say, "Howdy skelly, how's it shakin?" and the skeleton will eye us warily. Then he'll hiss at us, "Tu fui.... ego eris" and we'll take one look at him and say, "No way, dude, I've got a much better sword" and we'll just waltz on up the stairs and he'll stare off into the blackness.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I assume the Shianti, but I'm not sure if it's ever definitively stated. We might find out later though? :shrug:

The supplemental Magnamund Companion confirms this, and states that the Shianti built Ikaya. It also mentions that the Shianti (who appeared about 6000 years before present) were known by various names including the Ancients, Majhan, and Suukon. The Shianti actually came through a 'shadow gate' themselves, of course.

I feel like smashing things up, to quote Matthew Slaughter.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think we should be on the level. No tricks here.

This book was the one that I liked a lot more when I was younger, and it felt very Indiana Jones. I think when I came back to it later I found it feels a bit meandering, like why we're sort of stumbling through this ancient trapped tomb that we never intended to enter.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Add Tracking, drop the Silver Key, take the Chainmail in place of the Padded Waistcoat.

As far as TCOK, I know that Ikaya was our destination, but it just doesn't really feel like much of a 'fortress'. I expected more sneaking by guards (which, to be fair, you get some of) and something better toward the end than "and then you meet a wizard who takes you to the throne room and it's alot of neat stuff that you don't get to see but it was really exciting trust me bye have fun". Although I actually really like the detail about the Helghast on the same mission as you.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 6, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Take the <weapon>, leave the <foodstuff>.

Go hunt instead. You can't trust actors, especially if one of them maybe killed Captain D.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Ruanon rings like a bell in the night and wouldn't we love to go there. Will we ever win?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

South!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Take the rope and laumspur, but go right.

This was always one of the best-written battles, and the images are some of my favorite of the series (especially the exploding shell).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Little pig, little pig, let me come in!

But weren't we supposed to find another house first?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

What if she's still under this guy's spell and tries to kill us? We should Fight (and also kill the girl just to be safe).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Fight!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think we should go to the archway! Though I do wonder what happens if it turns out we're not one wolf, but two horses glued together? It could be a trap.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think coming in here was a mistake. The first place those mooks are going to search is the cellar of the infidels. Not that we have much choice in the matter. Take the beautiful phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No way are we leaving behind that towel. It's about the most massively useful thing a Kai Lord can have in their backpack.

Also, let's visit the herbalist.