Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Finally caught up to this thread, shame I missed it for so long after taking part in the last Lone Wolf LP. I never played Freeway Warrior, Grey Star, New Order past book 25 or so, Autumn Snow, or the collector’s edition bonus adventures so it’s been fun discovering those. The latter two I never knew existed until I found this thread, same with the more recent New Order books. Autumn Snow I really enjoyed, shame I’ll probably never get to play those for myself. The bonus adventures seem to range from bad to terrible so at least I’m not missing much there. The thread also prompted me to stop reading and play ahead for FW and GS which were fun. So thank you Tiggum for all the work you’ve put in to this!

Like the thread, I died a bunch in the first book of FW (cheated and kept going) almost entirely due to not enough stealth, which seems like the most important skill by a fairly wide margin. There are some weird stealth checks (like breaking the window just now which I won’t excuse) but do remember that stealth isn’t just stealth, in the skill description it’s also reaction speed and athleticism or something. So basically every time you have to dodge something it’s a stealth check, and failure often means instant death, and if not, then losing a chunk of hp or getting into a fight, and probably losing a chunk of hp in that since even with 19 CS most fights were between 4 and 8 CR which usually means taking some hits. Whoever voted all in on stealth for book 1 had the right idea. I dumped all my bonus points in book 2 into stealth and don’t think I died once in that one, then most of book 3’s into stealth too, had 10 base at that point. One or two deaths in each of the last couple of books mostly to bad luck. Fieldcraft seems like the dump stat, I only saw it come up maybe 3-4 times in the whole series, perception wasn’t much better. Shooting is really good for avoiding fights and driving for avoiding instadeaths. Avoiding melee fights is really good because a lot of checks add skills to current endurance so if your hp is high you can auto beat a lot of checks that might mean instadeath on a bad roll. Always be lootin, always be shootin.

Anyway, I’m just in time to vote for every choice I didn’t make in the the last book. Keep Driving

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Also, one question: did the :goleft: emote originate with the last thread? Why is it a square face?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I actually liked that. A subtle reminder that this is the world we know, but largely empty. You can miss your exit and just reverse back to it because you're on a highway but there's no other traffic and there won't be any other traffic.

I liked that too and I feel like the FW series is at the sweet spot of Dever's writing where it's not overly wordy for the most part, but there's still a decent amount of descriptive language and worldbuilding. (Plus there is a named and competent recurring female character which, although she's just the one, and is still a damsel in distress for the male PC to rescue multiple times, is at least an improvement on Lone Wolf. The cannibal injuns were uh just a little racist though.) Tiggum, I know Flight From the Dark is your favourite LW, but I always found the prose really sparse and it was probably my least favourite. It may have a lot of different branches, but I felt like a lot of the sections were just "You see giaks chasing you. Go east or west?" or "You see kraan overhead. Go through the forest or along the path?". I think this is why, as an earlier post mentioned, the Graveyard of the Ancients is such a popular first choice. It was definitely mine. Compared to "follow the river or the road" it has an air of mystery and is a lot more compelling than yet more running through the countryside. Fire on the Water had a lot of problems as a game, but I found the book part a lot more compelling. There's a couple of villains, intrigue, a big battle, multiple different locales or biomes (sea voyages, the wildlands, towns, a giant tunnel), motherfuckin helghast which I think we agree are the coolest monsters in the setting, and you get a sweet magic sword (gamebreakingness notwithstanding).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Also just wanna talk about how much I retroactively love Gary Chalk's art. He couldn't draw faces for poo poo when he did the Lone Wolf series, and I hated that as a kid, but he has a distinctive quirky and charming style which added a lot of character to the books. Brian Williams' stuff was maybe more technically proficient (or at least realistic looking) but lacked that Gary Chalk magic. I really, really liked Chalk's work in the Autumn Snow books. It's a lot more detailed than his earlier stuff but still has that distinctive character and even his faces have improved a lot even if they still look a bit derpy.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 5, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Right

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

big bada boom

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Clearly it’s impossible to get through this door without dying. Take the other corridor

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

nelson posted:

Run him over.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Snitches get stitches. Say nothing.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

A sniper would never expect us to keep driving in a straight line

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

That Avenal guy was talking poo poo about our girlfriend, must have been him

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

I feel like Avenal is too much of a red herring.

That’s what Dever wants you to think.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

nelson posted:

Use 5 medi-kits.
Machine pistol.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

We're the scout, let's scout Mohawk

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

we have stealth and we wish to use it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Drop the binos (we have advanced binos) and the extra canteen, don't take extra ammo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

is that even a question, come on. grenade, obviously

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Sounds like a sniping situation. Rifle

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

machine pistol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Drop the binoculars, tool kit, and spare canteen.

Grab HE Grenade and 2 meals.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

achtungnight posted:

Bike shop. Maybe we can replace our roadster.

There's no way Dever is going to get rid of our plot car and then maybe give us a new vehicle if we pick this one branch and then write two different storylines for the rest of the book. But I think I went with the general store on my run so to see new content I'm going to go with bike shop too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

drive away

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

volunteer

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XchwE9zVdnw

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Weaponskill in sword, since Helshezag is a sword and you can never have too much CS.
Regeration is gonna be worth at least 25-30 endurance for sure.
Mindshield since we'll probably have to fight a bunch of mindblasting Kai
Spying since we'll be going into Sommerlund.
Riding because it'll probably let us avoid at least one instadeath by falling off a Kraan

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Christ, that prose

Fly under

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Field Hospital sounds like a good place to war crime for the glory of Naar

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

achtungnight posted:

This book already has two instadeaths? Geez!

The surrender one was fair enough, this one though? Oh you chose the most sensible-sounding option, to go steal a horse to get away on? LOL you die.

Field Hospital still sounds like a good place to war crime for the glory of Naar

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 26, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Our soul is black, so they'll never expect us to hide in the white tent

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Our soul is black, so they'll never expect us to hide in the white tent

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

I love it, it's great. Green tent is obviously Kai, so let's see who's in tent colour white (and get trashed by I dunno, a knight? A sage?)

Knight of the White Mountain is my guess

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Field Hospital still sounds like a good place to war crime for the glory of Naar

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

war crime for the glory of Naar

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wow, that was quick. Didn't realize these were mini adventures.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Basic Instinct

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well this is an interesting dilemma. Not the free loot, that’s obvious, but the swarthy pirate captain. If this was Lone Wolf, we’d obviously know not to trust him, since swarthiness is a clear sign of evil. But we’re also evil, though not, as far as we know, swarthy. Does this mean we should trust him or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

e:

RudeCat posted:

Left is for good guys, we're bad so we do the opposite!

Right!

Good point, changing my vote to Right!

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 7, 2022