Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RABBID DORNE WHEN?!?

August 29th, 2017

What is the game like?

It's two great tastes that taste great together! Mario and XCOM! Also there are Rabbids in it, for some reason?

What is the games story?

When a mysterious group of alien invaders threatens the world, there's only one group of heroes that can fight back and save us.

But seriously, it looks like the Rabbids dropped out of a mysterious blue portal in the sky and screwed the Mushroom Kingdom up.
There's a little Rabbid named Spawny who is terrified of everything and when it inadvertently zaps things with its eye laser it mutates them into half Mushroom Kingdom/half Rabbid monstrosities.
Then Bowser Jr. befriends Spawny.

How does the game play?

About 1/3 of the game is environmental puzzles and exploration.

The other 2/3 is strategic turn based combat where you take Mario, one cosplay hero Rabbid, and one additional character of your choice into combat against the villian Rabbids. (I guess it's called Mario + Rabbids for a reason.)
Maps feature both destructable and indestructable cover. Half cover gives you a 50% chance to be hit, and full cover gives you a 0% chance to be hit, but of course you can still be flanked.
There are also pipes that will quickly transport characters to another place on the map. The pipes have bunny ears.
A character can move once, attack once, and use one cooldown power on their turn, and the team can take their actions in any order.
When you fire a weapon it has a certain chance to do critical damage and also add a status effect. This is called a 'super' hit.
The status effects include things like bouncing the enemy away from you, sticking them to the spot, causing them to run around wildly on fire, and blinding them.
Sometimes when you hit an enemy, coins spring out of them. This may happen specifically when you have them flanked? This is called a 'golden shot'.

There's also a co-op mode where each player controls any two of the available heroes. In the level shown so far, they had to defeat continuous waves of enemies until they got a certain number of kills.
This can be accessed by going back to completed worlds. Using the time travel function of a washing machine, apparently.

How does the game differentiate itself from XCOM other strategy games?

Mario games are all about movement. So, Mario + Rabbids adds unique movement features which can be performed by both our heroes and the villains:
'Dashing' An auto-attack that occurs when you move through an enemy space.
'Team Jump' Extends your movement (and allows you to get past terrain obstacles) by flipping off of an ally.

How do the skill trees and weapons work?

"nothin personnal... kid" - The Explosive Head

In general, each character has a primary weapon and a secondary weapon with a cool down. They also have two cooldown powers. Each hero also has a unique movement power.
The skill trees allow them to power up their dashes, team jumps, cool down powers, HP, movement, and more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7MvCMmlx_k

The weapons are:
The Blaster which is the middle of the road gun.
The Bworb which has lower damage than the blaster, and maybe a higher super chance?
The Precision which is a sniper rifle.
The Boomshot which is a shotgun like weapon that fires in a cone, and seems to do a terrifying amount of damage to cover.
The Rumblebang which is a machine gun with a lot of RNG for damage.

The secondary weapons are:
Melee, which is an AOE hammer attack
Grenaduck, which is a bouncing grenade
Sentry, which is bomb that drives after a target for multiple turns.
Rocket, which is, um, it's an RPG.

For cooldown powers, everyone has an area effect buff/debuff style power.
Mario heroes have an overwatch for their other power.
Rabbid heroes have a personal shield for their other power.

Mario uses the Blaster and Melee. His buff is a damage boost, and his unique power is that he can stomp on enemies after team jumping.
Luigi uses the Precision and Sentry. His buff is a movement boost, and his unique power is being able to string team jumps together.
Princess uses the Boomshot and Grenaduck. Her buff is damage reduction, and her unique power is a minor heal when she lands from a team jump.
Yoshi uses the Rumblebang and Rocket. His buff is a critical chance boost, and his unique power is an AOE on landing from a team jump. (I'm assuming because it's called 'ground pound'.)

Rabbid Princess uses the Blaster and Sentry. Her buff is a heal, and her unique power is not actually worth noting. (I think she has the strongest dash overall?)
Rabbid Luigi uses the Bworb and Rocket. His (de)buff is a damage penalty, and his unqiue power is that he heals damage when he dashes enemies.
Rabbid Mario uses the Boomshot and Melee. His 'buff' pulls enemies towards him, and his unique power is that his dash is an AOE.
Rabbid Yoshi uses the Rumblebang and Grenaduck. His 'buff' scares enemies away from him, and his unique power is that he can (eventually) dash up to 5 times.

How long is the game?

"Explore four unique worlds," (Grassland, Desert, Graveyard, and Ice, I think). That seems like it might be pretty short? It depends on whether each world has six battles or more like thirty, and nobody knows that yet.

Update From the leaked slides, "Story Mode Length: Approx. 20 hours" And in the E3 video they said, 10 levels per world. So, 30 minutes a level, 20 hour game?
Another video showed that there are four co-op levels per world too.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that they're might be some additional DLC worlds coming later, for this game, which is made by Ubisoft. Update: Yep.

Is the game hard?

There was an intentional media push to get youtube 'influencers' to play a certain level and then say that it was hard. So, it's probably not hard. But I'm willing to be surprised.

What is the music like in this game?

The music was written by Grant Kirkhope. So, it's probably good.

Are these 6" PVC figurines of Rabbids amiibo?

No, they are not amiibo. I'm not sure why they exist. I guess they look nice?

How much is the Season Pass?
:20bux:

Wow, Rabbid Peach seems pretty annoying.
:thejoke:

What is a Bworb? Can't someone tell me what a Bworb is?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

#Sassy #No Filter parking only

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 17, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I am ready for X-COM Mario.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

We've all been so ready for this crossover for so many decades, I dunno if it can possibly live up to the hype.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is the one game in recent memory where I was so loving ready to hate when the promo material leaked then went from 0 to hype as gently caress the second it was actually announced.

Ready for the Doorn DLC.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Once I saw a trailer with Mario entering into a slow motion overwatch reaction shot I knew this game was going to be promising.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

This game was the big surprise of E3 for me. Mario + Rabbids sounded like a poo poo idea, then they showed off this fuckin Mario XCOM thing and I was in love.

I just hope it has a decently long campaign.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

nephzinho posted:

Going to laugh so hard when this Rabbids game turns out to be amazing.

:getin:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
This was the one game I never knew I wanted.

Rabbids also seem less, uh, Rabbid-y in this game. Like, normally they're the video game equivalent of minions and just run around doing random things like yelling or causing property damage, but it seems like somebody decided to pull the reigns back a bit so they're actually tolerable.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can't wait to test Mario for psionic capabilities and if he's found wanting I'll just chop him up and turn him into a MEC I guess. Which I guess would make him metal Mario?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why couldn't they make Xcom Metroid instead. Or Xcom Splatoon. Or gently caress anything other than this.

Nothing is worse than wanting to play a game because the gameplay looks fun but hating every other aspect of it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I can't stop giggling at how much the Peach Rabbid looks like a dude in drag with a five o' clock shadow. :allears:
If the reviews are any good, this will be the first Ubi game I've bought since AC2 and Blood Dragon.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wait this is Mario XCOM what the heck I thought it was going to be a party game

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
N... no, thank you.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Mario gets a gun, finally.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Mario gets a gun, finally.

I find it sad they didn't make the fire flower a weapon.
- Or a boomerang
- Or Yoshi eggs
- Or a hammer
- Or root vegetables

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'll be disappointed if we don't get a gif of Luigi bleeding out after being shot by a rabbid he missed at point blank range out of this.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Hype as poo poo for Mario XCOM.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Where the gently caress are Wario and Waluigi? They're prime party members.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 17, 2017

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

I'll be disappointed if we don't get a gif of Luigi bleeding out after being shot by a rabbid he missed at point blank range out of this.
Me I'm waiting for Luigi panicking and killing Mario.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Why is Mario making GBS threads up my Rabbids X-COM game??

OP should just have been quotes from the Switch threads when this game was first announced

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Dugong posted:

Wario is Shen, making new weapons, while Waluigi is Vahlen, dissecting rabbid corpses

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Alucard posted:

Wario is Shen, making new weapons, while Waluigi is Vahlen, dissecting rabbid corpses

Where does Daisy fit in?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Where does Daisy fit in?

Daisy van Doorn

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What part of that leaked Marketing power point are we at? Between "win over the public" and "launch with a big press splash right?"

I am excited to rent this through Gamefly

Serious worry: The game drip feeds you tutorials and by the time battles get interesting the game is over

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

I find it sad they didn't make the fire flower a weapon.
- Or a boomerang
- Or Yoshi eggs
- Or a hammer
- Or root vegetables

The hammer is a weapon in game it's Mario's melee attack

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

game will be very very good

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
maybe im a big bitch baby but i like that you need to be flanked to be hit in full cover

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Commander! You may want to instruct your Mario to exercise restraint when using butt stomps...

Dugong posted:

Maybe they show up as unlockables. I like what I see, but I wouldn't mind even more dudes.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 17, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t wait to see the Vahlen autopsy scenes in this game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Zelder posted:

The hammer is a weapon in game it's Mario's melee attack

*Ranged* weapon. Like the Hammer Brothers'.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t wait to see the Vahlen autopsy scenes in this game.

Nah, I'm good. I've done enough Rabbid research for a lifetime already.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DalaranJ posted:

Nah, I'm good. I've done enough Rabbid research for a lifetime already.

I think I remember seeing them in Ray-man at some point and thinking they were lame. I don't know who did what sexual favors to whom but I'm impressed they managed to put rabbids in a Mario game that looks this great (from a gameplay perspective).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I still think Ubi should have gone with Mario + Rainbow Six

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lakbay posted:

What part of that leaked Marketing power point are we at? Between "win over the public" and "launch with a big press splash right?"

I am excited to rent this through Gamefly

Serious worry: The game drip feeds you tutorials and by the time battles get interesting the game is over

Win over the public probably ended with 'This game is hard.' So, yes, we're waiting on the media blitz.

We've seen the first two battles and the team jump tutorial lasts one turn and has no text. I don't think the mechanics are complicated enough for the game to be swamped with tutorials at that rate.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I still think Ubi should have gone with Mario + Rainbow Six

They tried, but couldn't get Clancy's signoff. :rip:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

They tried, but couldn't get Clancy's signoff. :rip:

I suppose the Clance wouldn't have approved of the ideological stance the designers took, anyway

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How did I forget the turtle shelves

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I suppose the Clance wouldn't have approved of the ideological stance the designers took, anyway

Nintendo approves of this but wouldn't let a Paper Mario game be made with Bowser talking.

idgi

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Going to exclusively use Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi and make this Mario vs. Rabbids Kingdom Battle

VVVV poo poo! Ubisoft really wants to shove their proto-Minions down my throat and like it

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Unfortunately OP says you must have at least one Rabbid on your team?

• Locked thread