Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not so sure about the "greatly improved" gameplay but we'll have plenty opportunity to discuss that as the LP goes on. Still an amazing game, and an LP I've been waiting for for a long time; here's to shooting more hapless professionals who just want to do their jobs in the evil industry.

e: Some of the stuff the mooks carry in their pockets will get positively fascinating.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

How could a game called "Contract J.A.C.K." be bad?
In many, many ways but primarily by not being funny or fun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Does the enemy chatter reach the lofty heights of the first game, where goons stood around discussing determinism?
It has my favorite bit of dialogue in the games. Two words: artificial lava.
The humor moves a bit from loving parody to straight-up comedy and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but both the games have great writing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Is it possible to do non-lethal stealth in this game?
No. It's an FPS at heart, stealth isn't always an option; it's more of an oldschool design where there are stealth(able) sections.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I never noticed this the first time, but it bugs me that they are giving the name of the contact in the notes left pinned prominently up in the ninja-infested village. If you're leaving notes up where anyone can find them, at least just call him "the contact" or a code name like "Blue Dragon" or something. The contact knows this, which is why he encoded his messages.
Thing is, neither UNITY nor HARM are exactly competent.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 18, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

Mmmmmmaybe? I'd never considered it but it is a game that exists. If I can do something good for it I'll absolutely go with it but I haven't played it so who knows??? I'll be busy with something else around that time but I'll see what comes to me.

It's basically a suggestion in the vein of "if you want more of NOLF2 gameplay, except better" because it pretty much perfects the formula. (Forced stealth sections still annoying as gently caress, though.)
Which is why I imagine they suggested it. That or nostalgia for the golden age of Monolith that ended with FEAR.

edit: The cat eye thing is a reference to some historical ninja or other who was supposed to make the remark (Hanzo Hattori? Don't know any other historical ninjas). Someone here's bound to know the reference in more detail.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 19, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, "vibrant and energetic" aren't words you'd associate with Russia. Give it time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It'll get explained in more detail. I'd like to ask the thread to watch out for something I never got despite my 4+ playthroughs of this: just what is so special about Khios?

Glazius posted:

HARM actually seemed kind of under-armed compared to the Russians.
It's kind of a running theme: HARM isn't very good at what it does. Even in 1 they ended up playing patsy for one woman's revenge plans.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Armstrong might've been a cheap fanservice but damnit it warms my heart to see him back. He does take part in some of the game's best segments though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HardDiskD posted:

So, I played a bit of the first level of the first game, and did we find out what HARM stood for?
That might just be answered in this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Something I noticed a couple videos back - one of the Indian goons carried a "statue of Durga, goddess of happy marriages." She's... really not, although given the family life of the typical HARM goon they would probably think so.

Also Pierre is fantastic and this game will forever hold a place in my heart for letting you shoot mimes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

From a previous video but I can definitely see Volkov as someone who over-exaggerates with an incredibly evil deed to cover up for a lame accident or (if we take Contract JACK as canon) embarrassing failure.
That's how I'm reading it as well. Guy's got a reputation to uphold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who goes out of his way to jump a couple time on that guard pinned down by the fallen door. Assholes unite or something.
Shame the game doesn't respond to it.

• Locked thread