Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Hogwarts - A touch of class
https://discord.gg/aCktKVS

Hello, welcome to the thread where you read a lot of words and/or sign up for this forums game for 28 players.
My name is busb and i've run various mafia and mafia-like games (see my Civilisation and Civilisation 2 games for something somewhat similar), and this is probably my most ambitious one yet.

First of all, what is this game?

This is sort of a crossover between a Forums Reality Game and a Hogwarts strategy game/RPG. It has similar concepts to my Civilisation forums games, and also some elements of Mafia and the Genius.

The main differences are:
  • There are no individual role win conditions, and there is no mafia team. If you get put in a house, that’s the house you play to win for!
  • There is no death. While every character has HP, when it reduced to 0 you do not die, you are merely forced to recuperate.
  • There are no realtime Events - it's simply not possible given timezone shenanigans and i don't want to lock people out for that.

How is the game played?
The game is split into 4 teams of 6 into the usual Hogwarts houses: 6 Students in each of Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Each House's players are all confirmed masons, and will have their own private Discord channel to strategise in. Houses/players may form informal alliances however they wish, but the ultimate goal is to win remember!
Yes that adds up to 24 thanks for that; but i’m not that bad at maths. I just lied a little bit.

There are also 4 Professors. The Professors are each solo aligned to a House, but their alignment is only known to theirself. The other Professors do not know, nor do the students of the House they are (or are not) aligned with. They also have their own discord channel, and are basically all confirmed antagonists competing with each other but are allowed to form informal alliances with other Professors or students or houses as they please.

With me so far?

Okay sure whatever, but how do i win?!?!
Victory is fairly simple
As a Student, you win if your House wins the House Championship!
As a Professor, you win if you accrue more Prestige points than the other Professors!

As with Harry Potter, House Championship points can be obtained in several ways throughout the 12 month (turn) long school year. Key to this is each individual players’ characters, and their actions.

House Championship points are gained by:
  • Success in monthly events
  • Being awarded points by Professor
  • Winning Quidditch games
  • Winning the Quidditch Championship
  • Success in half-yearly and yearly exams
  • Winning the dancing competition at the end of year Ball.

Professor Prestige points follow mostly similar lines, but will only be revealed to the Professors, and they may not have identical ways of obtaining Prestige.

Time requirements:
The game probably won't be time demanding for everyone, i expect each in game month or turn to take about 3-4 IRL days, with some time reserved for me to work on resolving the turn.
As for personal time, you can play as little or lot as you want. The bare minimum is sending in your night actions for each turn, but ideally you're around to talk poo poo at your opposing Houses and help strategise with your team and figure out the path to victory!

Next up: Students!

busb fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Student statistics
Okay. So you’re a Student at Hogwarts! Congratulations!
You have a few statistics to take care of. Below is a sample character.

Birb Stirke II esq.
code:
Student of Slytherin
Effort: 3/3			Bravery 2
Speciality: Duellist		Empathy 1
HP: 10/10			Cunning 0
Galleons: 30			Knowledge 3

Classes
Potions 0			Astronomy 0
Defence against the Dark Arts 0 Herbology 0
Charms 0			Magical History 0
Transfiguration 0		Care of Magical Creatures 0
*Flying 0
You can see there are 3 main segments:

Vitals:
Effort: this is the number of actions you are able to perform every month. You may spend more than your allotment which is called Overexerting. Every Effort you spend over your max damages you 3HP. Any unspent Effort is spent resting in the infirmary.
HP: Another simple stat that most characters will have the same amount of. If you are reduced to 0 HP (can never go below 0), you MUST spend at least 1 effort the next month resting. Resting will gain you 3HP per effort
Galleons: Game currency. This may be given to other students or teachers via a PM to the mod. It may also be used to purchase items or for other purposes later in the game.
Speciality: Your chosen Role. Each role has it’s own unique actions, benefits and drawbacks which will be detailed in its own section later on.
Attributes
These are your base aptitudes for the various challenges that will occur during the game. Each attribute relates to different classes and events. Each player has 6 points to allot in pregame character generation spread however they wish

Bravery - affects physical events and Quidditch
Empathy - affects social events and the end of year Formal
Cunning - affects sneaky events
Knowledge - influences Exams

Classes:
Probably the most straightforward. These all start at 0, and will increase over the course of the game through things such as regular studying and event rewards. Your class aptitudes are tested after the end of months 6 and 12, except flying.
There is no Flying exam, but is the main skill used in monthly Quidditch games.

Student Specialities
Prankster - Effortblocker and counters the Bully,
Bully - Effortblocker and counters the Prankster
Studious - more effective at Studying actions
Friendly - Investigates statistics of other players
Duellist - Safeguards other players
Pureblooded No ability (vanilla), but comes with its own benefits
Muggle No ability (vanilla), but comes with its own benefits

Student Actions
Every turn, students will have Effort to put into their choice of action. The common actions every player may use are.
##Study <Class> - for each Effort, gain +1 in that class permanently
##Rest - for each Effort, gain +3HP
##Participate <Event> - each month there will be two random events with random requirements, but the winning House will always receive bonus House Points. Each effort spent will increase your chances of winning the Event
##Quidditch - Each month there is a game of quidditch between 2 houses in a round robin format. Effort spent here will help the team to win, resulting in House Points for the winning side.
Other actions may become available to players throughout the game

EXAMPLE:
Month 1: Birb Steirk ii has 3 Knowledge and 2 Cunning and for Month 1 he uses 3 Effort to ##Study Potions 3 times the first month, giving him a Potions=3 at the start of the second month.

Month 2 there is a solo Potions event, where every students can try to brew the best Chillax Potion. The Event calls on Effort*Cunning (+2 for Studious, Prankster and Pureblooded) stats for success.
He submits a night action of ##Participate Potions with 3 Effort on the event, and ##study potions with 1 Effort, overexerting once.
Birb contributes 3 for his Potions skill, and adds that to triple his Cunning attribute due to his 3 Effort (+2 points for his Cunning skill, tripled by 3 Effort to +6), for a total contribution of 9.

He comes second in the event, winning Slytherin +10 Points (someone put in more effort and/or better skill somehow and won +20 points). He also suffers 3HP damage from the overexertion, leaving him at 7HP for month 3, and with Potions at 4.

busb fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 20, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Professor statistics
There are none! But just because you don’t have statistics per se doesn’t mean you don’t get to do cool stuff! In fact, you rule the roost and are very charming and you’ll have to be to make sure you come out on top!
The exception to this is Professors may possess and give out Galleons however they wish by PMing the mod.

Professor Actions
Professors each month may publicly ##award House or ##Detention Player in the game thread. This can be for any reason they want, or for none. Other Professors may ##approve ProfessorX, ##abstain ProfessorX or ##veto ProfessorXfor each proposal, although abstaining is the default action. Overturning the action requires a majority ##veto vote.

Detention The target player is unable to perform any actions other that Studying the Professor's classes that sent them to Detention, or Resting. It may have other effects.
Awarding the player/house is awarded +20 points. Simple. (unless vetoed)

References:
Classes table
code:
Class 				Parent Stat		Possible Skills involved during events
				 (x Effort)		(random 1-2 selected) (+2 for speciality)

Potions 			Cunning			Studious, Pranking, Pureblooded
DaDA				Bravery			Duellist, Bullying, Muggleborn
Charms				Empathy			Duellist, Pranking, Bullying
Transfiguration			Cunning			Duellist, Pranking, Bullying
Astronomy 			Cunning			Studious, Bullying, Pureblooded
Herbology			Bravery			Studious, Friendly, Muggleborn
Magical History			Empathy			Studious, Pureblooded, Muggleborn
Care of Magical Creatures	Empathy			Bully, Prankster, Friendly
*Flying (No exam or Professor)	Bravery			N/A (Influences Quidditch)
Scheduled Events - 12 Month Year

Quidditch matches (max 440 points)
Every Month, there is a quidditch match between 2 houses in a scheduled roster. Simple double round robin 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for loss.
+40 points for winning house of each game. +200 points for champions, +50 for second place, +20 for third.

The Quidditch formula is Effort * (Bravery + Brooms) + current HP

Class Exams (max 520 points)
Exams take place after Month 6 and 12
+20 bonus for best individual performer in each class
+100 for Dux, best individual total across all classes
+100 points for House that does best overall

End of Year Formal (max 100)
Social event at end of Week 12
Best dancing pair wins +100 points for their house. (Dancing determined by Empathy, Friendly, <???>)

Midyear Break
Month 7 is a holiday month, no class events

Hogsmeade
Every even month, Hogsmeade is open for players to spend 1 effort to buy items

busb fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 22, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Right so if you’ve gotten this far, you probably want to play! Sign up by posting in the thread, and once we have enough we will start the Sorting!

Sorting:
The order for sorting is RNGed, and the 4 teachers are RNGed first.
During character creation players PM the mod with their Speciality, their 6 Attribute points allocation, and can also submit ONE request to be taken into account for sorting.
The Sorting Hat will take this request into consideration when forming houses to the best of its ability, but is not guaranteed. Its only condition is that any requests made will only take into account people that have been already sorted (as well as yourself of course).

:eng101:Professors::eng101:
    King Burgundy
    Ernie
    AnAnonymousIdiot
    Podima

Students::ohdear:
  1. Grandicap
  2. DuckHuntDog
  3. Asssna
  4. Eponymous
  5. Meinberg
  6. Alasdair
  7. Tommunist
  8. xiw
  9. Hal Incandenza
  10. chaoslord
  11. The Ninth Layer
  12. bahamut
  13. Tobbs Gnawed
  14. Mordiceius
  15. peramene
  16. Radio!
  17. FewtureMD
  18. PMush Perfect
  19. KhediveRex
  20. Murmur Twin
  21. The Lord of Hats
  22. Covok
  23. MinutePirateBug
  24. redneck nazgul
  25. CCKeane
  26. Quidthulthu
  27. wheredashimapansat
  28. bowmore

Reserves:

busb fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 20, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Character template:

Birb Stirke II esq.

pre:
Student of Slytherin
Effort:     3			Bravery:   2
Speciality: Duellist		Empathy:   1
HP:         10/10		Cunning:   0
Galleons:   0			Knowledge: 3

Classes
Potions :         0		Astronomy                 0
Dark Arts:        0 		Herbology                 0
Charms:           0             Magical History           0
Transfiguration:  0		Care of Magical Creatures 0
*Flying:          0

Backstory
As a child, Birbstirk always knew there was something different about him, and no not in that way you sicko.
When he received his acceptance letter to Hogwarts he knew... he just had to be the best drat wizard there ever was.

busb fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 20, 2017

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Ok

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

In!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
CONFIRMING MY PRESIGN

CONFIRMING THAT I WILL BE GOING FULL BLOWN IC

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I am going to be the best goddamn witch. I'd like to request that I be a student, if possible.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm in. I'm assuming this won't be starting before tomorrow around noon, which is when I get back from my trip.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Bursbly you are crazy.

Requesting to be the first one to die in a toilet.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Busbwarts - a touch of maths

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just realized that I have a question--what does Knowledge do? It's not the parent stat for any of the classes. Is it purely for events?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Weed

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just realized that I have a question--what does Knowledge do? It's not the parent stat for any of the classes. Is it purely for events?

Good pickup! knowledge contributes to all exams. I'll put a brief description of all stars in the rules later

Originally I had it benefitting all study actions but it became too broken over time.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This sounds awesome!

Looking forward to telling the hat to make me a loving Hufflepuff goddammit

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I skimmed, but I am signing the hell up gently caress yes.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Mord: I'm expecting the game will take anywhere from 4-7 days to fill up if it does., but i can scale the game up or down pretty easily, even if 6 in each house is what i feel is ideal.

I've got some more stuff i can post but i'll hold off until more people have a chance to read the OPs.

What do you guys think if i posted in the Trad Games general recruitment thread? I think this is probably far enough removed from mafia to make it possibly attractive to people that play survivor/big brother or even just the tabletop RPGs?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
One of the most entertaining and biggest payoff players came from just a little visibility so real talk, climb the mountain, turn around, see your reflection in the snow-covered hills and let the LANDSLIDE BRING 'EM DOWN

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Are we allowed to execute other students

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ok

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

peramene posted:

One of the most entertaining and biggest payoff players came from just a little visibility so real talk, climb the mountain, turn around, see your reflection in the snow-covered hills and let the LANDSLIDE BRING 'EM DOWN

Yes, i do like that these are words! Very nice! (what the heck does this even mean??)

Tommunist posted:

Are we allowed to execute other students

What no you cant kill people you're all 12 year old child first years you crazy person!!!
you can dack people in front of the whole grade until they die of shame though, but not literally.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

This is a signup.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

busb I am also bugging Mannii and DarkestLite to sign up, maybe you can have all your league friends again!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

busb posted:

Yes, i do like that these are words! Very nice! (what the heck does this even mean??)

pera.txt

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Quidthulhu posted:

busb I am also bugging Mannii and DarkestLite to sign up, maybe you can have all your league friends again!

haha that'd be awesome!! :)

I've posted it in the TG recruitment thread, so hopefully it piques the interest of some non-mafia people too.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
I would like to sign up please.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

MinutePirateBug posted:

I would like to sign up please.

Welcome!

If you have any questions about the ruleset or mechanics please ask!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

busb is this going to have time-specific events like a lot of the other FRG's where you have to be around for a certain period of time? Sorry if you answered this in the OP(s), it's a lot of maths

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:science: I'm in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
gently caress it, if there's room, I'll join pera in the 'full-time IC' club.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Added this to the OP:

Time requirements:
The game probably won't be time demanding for everyone, i expect each in game month or turn to take about 3-4 IRL days, with some time reserved for me to work on resolving the turn.
As for personal time, you can play as little or lot as you want. The bare minimum is sending in your night actions for each turn, but ideally you're around to talk poo poo at your opposing Houses and help strategise with your team and figure out the path to victory!

There are no realtime Events - it's simply not possible given timezone shenanigans and i don't want to lock people out for that.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks, busb!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's weird seeing busb seriousposting, tbh.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I will set a timer to make sure I only play for exactly 15 minutes per day.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Podima posted:

It's weird seeing busb seriousposting, tbh.

:yeah::agreed:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
OK this looks fun, put me in. In typical me fashion I skimmed the rules and plan to figure them out as we go :j:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
all the world's a stage, and we are merely shitposters and idiots.

But not when i mod something i've spent a lot of time writing and thinking about.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Murmur Twin posted:

OK this looks fun, put me in. In typical me fashion I skimmed the rules and plan to figure them out as we go :j:

Just lol that you even skimmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How many times per month can teachers award points? Once per month or is it as arbitrary as the original source? (barring vetoes/etc. from other teachers)

• Locked thread