Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Physical barriers between automobiles and pedestrians. The Charlottesville attack would likely have been much worse if the attacker hadn't been stopped by hitting cars he hadn't realized was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Speed up the switch to AI driven cars. The average KKK dumbass ain't going to be able to hack the protective software that prevent cars from driving into crowds.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Car Lives Matter.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Main Paineframe posted:

Physical barriers between automobiles and pedestrians. The Charlottesville attack would likely have been much worse if the attacker hadn't been stopped by hitting cars he hadn't realized was there.

How do you gently caress that up?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Starshark posted:

How do you gently caress that up?

There were a couple parked cars in the area where the crowd was, and there were enough people that the guy couldn't see the cars from where he was approaching. So when he tried to plow through the crowd, he only hit a couple dozen people before he unexpectedly slammed into the cars

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
The central problem, or risk, to living in a free society is that it enables people around you to cause you harm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure that freedom of society has much to do with its lethality or vice versa.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, making cities less car navigable will just make it more likely Americans travel to the cities less, the interstates start getting routed around the outskirts of the cities rather than through them, and the urban sprawl D&D also hates so much will just accelerate.

So good job, you got rid of cars from the cities, and also made the cities ghost towns.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I mean, making cities less car navigable will just make it more likely Americans travel to the cities less, the interstates start getting routed around the outskirts of the cities rather than through them, and the urban sprawl D&D also hates so much will just accelerate.

So good job, you got rid of cars from the cities, and also made the cities ghost towns.

:ssh: public transport :ssh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait since when is major roads running directly through cities a good thing and not a traffic nightmare?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:ssh: public transport :ssh:

I mean, the people who are driving cars aren't going to suddenly stop driving them if you take away places for them to drive them, they'll leave to go to to places that will let them drive their cars. They find the act of driving the car itself desirable.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 20, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I mean, the people who are driving cars aren't going to suddenly stop driving them if you take away places for them to drive them, they'll leave go to to places that will let them drive their cars. They find the act of driving the car itself desirable.

Ah, yes, the desirable act of driving the car to work every day in traffic. Idling for hours, simmering in the heat when the air conditioning breaks down, immersing yourself in the sweet sweet smell of petrol, constantly having to be alert, otherwise you might miss a turn or get honked at by someone behind you.

Oh, and let's not forget the half an hour to an hour spent looking for parking. That's just the best.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Ah, yes, the desirable act of driving the car to work every day in traffic. Idling for hours, simmering in the heat when the air conditioning breaks down, immersing yourself in the sweet sweet smell of petrol, constantly having to be alert, otherwise you might miss a turn or get honked at by someone behind you.

Oh, and let's not forget the half an hour to an hour spent looking for parking. That's just the best.

Yes, actually, I find this far preferable to literally any public transport option you'd offer me. Telling me I can't drive my car in your city is just you telling me to stay in the suburbs all the time instead of just most of the time, not convincing me I should give up my Mercury Grand Marquis.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yes, actually, I find this far preferable to literally any public transport option you'd offer me. Telling me I can't drive my car in your city is just you telling me to stay in the suburbs all the time instead of just most of the time, not convincing me I should give up my Mercury Grand Marquis.

Then leave. Meanwhile the people living in the city will benefit from having more room for pedestrians and less congestion due to people taking alternate routes, using public transport, or biking. Albany, NY has an ongoing project of reducing the vehicular footprint of some main roads in favor of bike paths and pedestrian walkways, and population has been pretty steady. If you have any kind of evidence to suggest that congestion and car-use reduction policies turn cities into ghost towns, go ahead.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Then leave. Meanwhile the people living in the city will benefit from having more room for pedestrians and less congestion due to people taking alternate routes, using public transport, or biking. Albany, NY has an ongoing project of reducing the vehicular footprint of some main roads in favor of bike paths and pedestrian walkways, and population has been pretty steady. If you have any kind of evidence to suggest that congestion and car-use reduction policies turn cities into ghost towns, go ahead.

Okay, sure, I'll stay in the suburbs and keep driving my car, and so will everyone else in the suburbs. Plenty of tourist spots with car access left for us to visit and spend money on. Thanks for further alienating non-urbanities, I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know when London took all its measures to cut traffic congestion everybody left and nobody lives in London now and certainly doesn't use public transport.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Okay, sure, I'll stay in the suburbs and keep driving my car, and so will everyone else in the suburbs. Plenty of tourist spots with car access left for us to visit and spend money on. Thanks for further alienating non-urbanities, I guess.

You're just going to come crawling back when whatever suburban jobplex you work in shuts down, or when gas prices go back up and suddenly you can't afford the car-driven lifestyle you've become accustomed to. :shrug:

OwlFancier posted:

I know when London took all its measures to cut traffic congestion everybody left and nobody lives in London now and certainly doesn't use public transport.

London? Paris? Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

28 days later was a documentary about what happened once they introduced rental bikes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're just going to come crawling back when whatever suburban jobplex you work in shuts down, or when gas prices go back up and suddenly you can't afford the car-driven lifestyle you've become accustomed to. :shrug:

Actually, we'll probably just vote for Trump and the Republicans, again. :sigh:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Actually, we'll probably just vote for Trump and the Republicans, again. :sigh:

Again, [citation needed]. You're mistaking your own car fetish with actionable political data.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Again, [citation needed]. You're mistaking your own car fetish with actionable political data.

I mean, I LIVE in a usually blue southern Illinois county that went Trump. The town I live in has a steel mill that's the lifeblood of the town whose union is continually pissed at Chinese dumping, and liked Trump's rhetoric. A town that continually votes down any attempts to expand the Metro-Link to it. I can't really give you much more than that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I mean, I LIVE in a usually blue southern Illinois county that went Trump. The town I live in has a steel mill that's the lifeblood of the town whose union is continually pissed at Chinese dumping, and liked Trump's rhetoric. A town that continually votes down any attempts to expand the Metro-Link to it. I can't really give you much more than that.

And this is caused by anti-congestion legislation in cities how?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry about your terminally stupid neighbors I guess?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

maybe you should get your car fixed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neo_Crimson posted:

maybe you should get your car fixed.

I don't have a car, and bus to work and back. Great time to catch up on some reading. :shrug:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Breed cars that are allergic to human blood and a strong instinct for self-preservation

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

If making it more difficult to run over pedestrians means you'll avoid that place entirely, that's probably not the city's problem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is this thread meant to be a joke? I didn't think that joke threads were allowed in D&D

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

Is this thread meant to be a joke? I didn't think that joke threads were allowed in D&D

D&D... don't make it bad. Take a joke thread and make it serious.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

they are but they rarely last more than a few days

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
A city will need a delivery system for goods and stuff, but one could go the route of Zermatt, Switzerland where this is done by small electric carts in the city centre. That way you can have logistical hubs outside. Other than that, I would like to see more separation of traffic and pedestrians either way, so better city planning is a net bonus. And yeah, lidar, as mentioned, is coming on new cars as well.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

If you bollard off all city centers that probably just means you'll have vans plowing into groups of people gathered outside city centers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warbadger posted:

If you bollard off all city centers that probably just means you'll have vans plowing into groups of people gathered outside city centers.

I mean, only if the groups of people for some reason also can't get past the bollards. The idea is that you keep vehicles from crossing into pedestrian spaces, the pedestrians don't just go and hang around the cars for fun.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, only if the groups of people for some reason also can't get past the bollards. The idea is that you keep vehicles from crossing into pedestrian spaces, the pedestrians don't just go and hang around the cars for fun.

Not all gatherings of people are in running distance of a city center. You'd need to fortify pretty much the entire urban, large amounts of suburban, and some rural area road systems. Schools, places of worship, public venues of all sorts, etc. in particular.

It suffers from the same problem as any form of defense - the attacker has the opportunity to observe the protective measures in place and choose when and where to attack. If you did a great job and there aren't any obvious weaknesses then they also have the opportunity to devise a different method of attack, so all of the fortified roads are now security theatre in the face of the new bombing/arson/mass stabbing/drone bombing/whatever wave.

Also, if driving in DC and NYC is any indication, plenty of pedestrians go hang out with the cars for fun (well, convenience).

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 20, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Make all cars like NASCAR they can only turn left and everyone walks on the right. If someone wants to hit people on the right they've gotta do some sick donuts to pull it off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warbadger posted:

Not all gatherings of people are in running distance of a city center. You'd need to fortify pretty much the entire urban, large amounts of suburban, and some rural area road systems. Schools, places of worship, public venues of all sorts, etc. in particular.

It suffers from the same problem as any form of defense - the attacker has the opportunity to observe the protective measures in place and choose when and where to attack. If you did a great job and there aren't any obvious weaknesses then they also have the opportunity to devise a different method of attack, so all of the fortified roads are now security theatre in the face of the new bombing/arson/mass stabbing/drone bombing/whatever wave.

Also, if driving in DC and NYC is any indication, plenty of pedestrians go hang out with the cars for fun (well, convenience).

Yes obviously it doesn't make it impossible for someone to find someone to run over, the point is that as a form of defence it is not obstructive and also benefits public safety in general by protecting pedestrians from accidental vehicular collision as well as intentional ones. And in the case of specifically targeted attacks such as the charlottesville one, it gives you the option of holding things that are likely to be targets of attack, behind barriers.

That it does not render people perfectly immune from injury in all cases does not mean that it is not useful. Otherwise you should stop making murder illegal because obviously it doesn't stop people doing it so we should just stop trying.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kemper Boyd posted:

I think the "get a van and run over people" trend is more about showing that the organizations that were previously able to do stuff like the London bombings, the Madrid bombing and the Charlie Hebdo attack are more or less losing the talent they need for those kinds of attacks, considering that the better planned attacks tend to end up with everyone involved in it dead.

I think these are probably the last gasps of the terrorist regimes going for simple attacks of opportunity, if you look at the profiles of most of the "terrorists" in these attacks they're mainly lone wolf people with various mental illnesses who get told to run cars into people from some website. They're not even syrian refugees.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ColoradoCleric posted:

I think these are probably the last gasps of the terrorist regimes going for simple attacks of opportunity, if you look at the profiles of most of the "terrorists" in these attacks they're mainly lone wolf people with various mental illnesses who get told to run cars into people from some website. They're not even syrian refugees.

Yeah I wonder if more truck attacks is a result of them needing more of the serious fighters with weapons expertise involved with the Syrian Civil War, what's going on in the Philippines, Iraq, etc

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah I wonder if more truck attacks is a result of them needing more of the serious fighters with weapons expertise involved with the Syrian Civil War, what's going on in the Philippines, Iraq, etc
So what you're saying is; we need to keep that poo poo going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It might also be that getting people to run people over is pretty effective and kind of hard to stop so why go for anything more elaborate?

• Locked thread