Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone actually measured the accuracy of Comcast's bandwidth meter?

We recently switched back to Comcast home service to save some money not knowing there was a 1TB cap. The first two months of service the Comcast meter has showed 10-15% higher bandwidth utilization than my pfsense box (router). My modem is plugged directly into the router. I guess it's possible the pfsense measurements are slightly off, but I kind of doubt by that much.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I really don't want to have to shell out the extra cash for unlimited bandwidth, but looks like we may have to.

If this post should go in another thread, let me know, couldn't find a Comcast thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
fwiw, my Comcast online meter and my pfSense stats line up almost exactly. Checking right now, Comcast reports 304GB used, and pfSense says 306.44GB. I can't think of any reason they shouldn't match up, and I'm sure Comcast phone support would probably be as useless as normal. Unless you have a second device listed on your account, nothing else should be pulling any data. Going back the last 4 months, the Comcast report is usually a couple gigs less than my pfSense box reports for the same periods.

• Locked thread