Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010
WTF was up with the hip-hop during the final big fight?

Also, if Matt's still alive does that also mean Gao, Elektra, and possibly the Japanese dude who was impaled are also still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wow that hip hop during the final fight is unfortunate

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

This show loving sucks! Its shittiness borders on aggressively offensive.

I'm only on episode 6 but they're still, STILL, in this abandoned building talking about what they think the hand wants with Danny and what they think they should do with not actually doing anything. People keep saying vague poo poo like, "It's not important" or, "Something like that" for no reason other than to frustrate me. And there are so many superficial arguments. Oh the heroes don't like each other cause one has a secret they won't share and one has a bad attitude, wonder if they'll work it out and fight together.

Those fake bullshit angry outbursts between the heroes are so hamfisted I feel like it's worse than anything the Avengers movies ever did. There'd better be some cool poo poo in the last 2 episodes or I'm writing this off as worse than any of the individual Marvel Netflix shows thus far.

Only plus is the use of Run the Jewels, but I kind of feel that it doesn't necessarily fit the scene, it's just good rap for the sake of good rap, still the only good thing I can think of so far.

I have other stuff to bitch about and probably will do that soon.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
No one disrespects the Wu-Tang.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

This was bad. The reason Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage were so good was characterization---now we have people arguing for no reason and punching each other in dark rooms.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
They should've replaced Danny with Frank Castle. Danny only existed in this show to be a liability the entire time. Everyone else was fine. Plot was loving stupid, though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone hates the rich white guy.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The entirety of the script was movie cliche lines. poo poo like "you wouldn't believe me if I told you", the thing where someone can immediately clear up a misunderstanding but instead cuts themselves off / avoids the subject, and an unironic "we're not so different, you and I". The use of color was patronizing and simple - there was a fight scene in a purple room, because JJ (blue) and DD (red) show up. Hip hop music playing whenever Luke Cage is on screen. Heroes wearing their colors like Power Rangers.

Some of the fight choreography is good, but nothing matches anything we've seen in either DD season.

Way too much time spent on Colleen and checking in to see what the sidekicks are doing as they are stuck in one room for half the season. Colleen and Bakuto are having a fight directly ripped from Highlander: the Series that we have to keep cutting back to with tired pupil/mentor lines like "it's not too late to join me, you were meant for so much more" type poo poo.

Iron Fist gets captured and needs saving like 3 times. There's some teamwork scenes in the last few episodes where you start to see the team come together that he just straight up doesn't get to be a part of or develop into. Yet we still have in-fighting in the team in the LAST loving EPISODE.

Daredevil fake-dying and taking up precious screen-time with people remembering him fondly when we all know he isn't dead. It's just burning tape, there is no reason why he isn't just recovered as beaten up as we see at the end, and people are sad about that instead.

There's a few cool beats here and there - I'd really like to see Luke Cage and Danny share moments when he isn't being the canonically worst Iron Fist ever. Charlie Cox and his stunt double (think it's still Chris Brewster) do some drat good choreography, even if the cinematography has slow-mo flippykicks all over in a lot of places. IF actually gets some character development and feels like a natural progression from his series in a way that could potentially pay off. Finn Jones isn't a terrible actor, and he is much more believable as kung-fu man, but once you notice that whenever there's a team fight they pan over and show him throwing one sloppy right hook then back to DD doing some cool martial art movies, it's hard to unsee how they tried to "hide" his weaknesses.

E: Honorable mention goes to the 5-7 times someone from the Hand goes, "We need the Iron Fist", then one of the Defenders will say something like, "Wait, they need the Iron Fist?" - "For what?" - "We don't know". It's like episode 7 of 8 and we still have people confirming that yes, that is actually the plot.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 20, 2017

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Every time Danny's like "I'm the immortal Iron Fist!" this is what I see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIEVfSM94UY

Electra has so few lines I forgot what her accent was supposed to be, her presence in the first half of the show was to remind us she exists I guess. The episode where everyone was like "Who are you?" to each other was annoying. Then they were all cagey about their identities, then they wanted to have one little group fight and all head on their separate ways. All of this told using some really terrible lines. They never felt like any kind of team even when they did work together.

The real star of this show and the linked series is Gao.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Because if she forgot who say was, what accent would she have?

She had to get her headcanon in order.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God this was awful, I couldn't quite believe it was as bad as it was until the final episode which was just unbelievably lovely. The characterization was terrible, plot points were introduced only to be forgotten about or casually dismissed, Danny continues to be an unbelievable liability and I can absolutely believe Kunlun just counted their blessings when he left and shifted house. Nothing made any sense, every character had a paper thin personality that did a massive disservice to the good work that was done in some of their individual series (Luke and Jessica were the biggest victims of this) and the villains were awful.

The final fight between Elektra and Matt was terrible, the lines they were spouting were awful and made no sense in the context of ANYTHING that was going on/being said back and forth between each other - "I am not concerned with good or evil, merely with being myself" "Well you may claim to be a servant of the dark but actually I can sense goodness inside of you!" - plus there was the laughable way Murakami was killed off: I actually had to stop and ask the people I was watching it with if that was him who had just died since he (the great hunter) was just kinda casually tossed over the side of the elevator.

There was a point in the show where I thought things were finally coming together and about to get good, which was when Elektra shows up to fight them in the Chinese restaurant and then Jessica sends the car smashing through the wall and knocks the great BLACK SKY flat on her face. But it just all got worse from there - this whole thing felt like the equivalent of a lovely tie-in comic that just threw a bunch of heroes together to sell extra copies. Which is... well, I guess this was exactly the TV equivalent of that, but I kinda hoped for more than that. I really hope Jessica Jones season 2 gets as far away from this mess as possible.

Edit: Also was Bakuto just randomly bulletproof all of a sudden at the end when Misty shot him? :confused:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I did enjoy the dichotomy of the heroes growling at each other and the sidekicks being all chill going "this is our life innit".

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Also was Bakuto just randomly bulletproof all of a sudden at the end when Misty shot him? :confused:

Yeah, that gave me pause. It came out of nowhere.

More of a "what the gently caress" question: The "police didn't file any reports, so the entire Midland Circle blowing up effectively didn't happen" thing? What?!! How'd they decide on that course of action?

My thoughts on why Danny is still the shittiest Iron Fist:

Real World explanation: Finn is horrible at fight scenes. He throws sloppy punches and telegraphs his every move because he's bad a fight scenes.

In show explanation: in his solo series and in Defenders, multiple characters, multiple times, call him a child. He's still too young and undisciplined to really harness his true power and potential. Also, he's incapable of fighting smart - like how Elektra easily maneuvered him into punching the wall/doorway.
In the solo series we are told he left K'Un Lun before his training as the Iron Fist was complete, and we see in that footage Bakuto shows him that both fists should glow and have that power. So because of his childishness and incomplete training, Danny is only half the Iron Fist he should be.

And I wasn't really surprised at whatshisface hunter dude simply being thrown off the elevator. In the parking garage fight, he was getting tossed around by Luke pretty good. And Daredevil was taking him and Bakuto on at the same time, and winning.
That could just be Netflix still compensating for Ben Afleck, or perhaps just because they're inconsistent. Because yeah, for a guy who was supposed to be more evil and skilled than Nobu, and who made Stick nervous, he sure was taken out easy.

Speaking of Stick, why did he just lay there for 20 seconds and let Elektra kill him? With that huge distraction Matt gifted him, he could have tripped her and gotten up. Did he think his death would finally push Matt to where Stick thought he needed to go to defeat The Hand?

And the Daredevil solo seasons led me to believe that once The Hand resurrects you, you're good to go unless you get beheaded. We saw it with Nobu, and Howard Meachum. But here, it seems that "the substance" is needed every time? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Despite the above criticism, it was enjoyable - I've watched it twice through already. I really hope now that Danny says he's starting to feel at home, he'll be centered, and grow to not be a lovely Iron Fist in IF season 2.

Thinking on it now, it seems like while all the solo seasons were building up to Defenders, Defenders was just setting up the next seasons of the solo shows, and was a. It more low key than we might have been expecting. Perhaps that's what the Netflix Marvel folks are going for. This was just the next chapter in the overall story they're telling, and wasn't meant to be bigger, or have any greater focus or significance placed on it than any of the previous chapters.

Or maybe I'm just full of poo poo. That's very possible.

At any rate, I enjoyed it and watch it again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Budgie posted:

Every time Danny's like "I'm the immortal Iron Fist!" this is what I see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIEVfSM94UY

Honestly this is my favourite thing and I laugh every time Danny goes I AM THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST, PROTECTOR OF KUN LUN. His series wasn't very good, but the part where he is prepping to start the Enter the Dragon sequence with Gao and when asked what happens if he loses, he responds with some zany zen speech that ends with (roughly) "my vision is occupied only by total victory".

It's hilarious watching a wealthy white kid spitting eastern mysticism and meditating while claiming to be the invincible heir to dragon powers. Then he just sucks at everything, gets his rear end kicked and makes the worst possible decisions every time he is given choice because he's a rich moron with no real world experience who on top of that was interred in a brainwashing centre for 10 years or whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Basically if Danny wasn't the immortal Iron Fist, protector of Kun Lun and sworn enemy of the hand, he'd be running a juice shop/yoga centre.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So does The Punisher show up in this, and if he does, when?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Davros1 posted:

So does The Punisher show up in this, and if he does, when?

Nope.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wish they had made a bigger deal of the characters different abilities. Like Jessica is the power house hitter but can't really fight so she's just throwing the big Indiana Jones punches, but if they connect they wreck dudes. Luke is bullet sponge and big slow hitter like Jessica. DD has the stealth/ninja moves and radar. Danny has the kung fu moves and is the hardest hitter by miles if he can manage to summon the fist/nullifies magic abilities.

I'd like to have seen a bit of mirroring in the hand dudes. Like DD is trying to hurt a big slow hitter while Luke can't connect with a tricky ninja and they switch up to play to their strengths. I did like it when Jessica held up that elevator without breaking a sweat. She obviously masks her full strength so it was good that she had a "chips are down and have to do some very super poo poo" moment. Might have been cool to have a stealth ninja v Jessica and DD has to try and call the location of the ninja because Jessica can't ninja (then connects a punch and launches ninja through the roof and into the night sky).

I kind of wish they'd let Danny discover some of his other chi abilities so they could at least make him seem useful as a healbot rather than just this stupid kid that sucks.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Iron Fist is so loving dumb the hand even say 'drat you dumb boy' several times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why are there two threads for this?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Why are there two threads for this?

People were using the Cage thread and haven't noticed this one yet I guess.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Hip Hop during the big fight end battle sucked.

The camerawork in DD is significantly better than in any of the other shows (especially season 1) so nothing I saw here impressed. The fight choreography was pretty good.

Honestly I was kinda disappointed by the lack of diversity in everyone's powers. They all seem exactly the same except for Luke Cage being bullet proof and Daredevil hearing poo poo thats far away. Can't Jessica Jones fly/fall with style?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sammus posted:

Hip Hop during the big fight end battle sucked.

The camerawork in DD is significantly better than in any of the other shows (especially season 1) so nothing I saw here impressed. The fight choreography was pretty good.

Honestly I was kinda disappointed by the lack of diversity in everyone's powers. They all seem exactly the same except for Luke Cage being bullet proof and Daredevil hearing poo poo thats far away. Can't Jessica Jones fly/fall with style?

She can fly in the comics. I feel like the thing is that Jessica is always pulling her punches and not letting loose because she fears the super powers and is desperate to be normal. When she holds onto that lift and doesn't appear to be breaking a sweat I think we get an idea that she's got a lot more in the tank than we ever get to see.

megallica
Nov 4, 2008

Oh god, my brain is full of BEES!!
I really hate The Hand. The Hand is one of those villains that only get worse the more they try to explain things. It should have stayed a mystery implied magical organization. Used very sparingly cause the poo poo they are up to would warrant national attention.

I was hoping for a super rich people power team up with Alexandria & Fisk and to a lesser extent Mariah. All of them working together for a power grab to take over cities. It would be a grounded reason as to why they would all meet and have a good reason to care. Make use of Danny's wealth/corporate power since he's not good at much else. Overall just more interesting.

But instead we get an evil ninja cult that wants immortality dragon juice...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prog Doctor posted:

Yeah, that gave me pause. It came out of nowhere.

More of a "what the gently caress" question: The "police didn't file any reports, so the entire Midland Circle blowing up effectively didn't happen" thing? What?!! How'd they decide on that course of action?

My thoughts on why Danny is still the shittiest Iron Fist:

Real World explanation: Finn is horrible at fight scenes. He throws sloppy punches and telegraphs his every move because he's bad a fight scenes.

In show explanation: in his solo series and in Defenders, multiple characters, multiple times, call him a child. He's still too young and undisciplined to really harness his true power and potential. Also, he's incapable of fighting smart - like how Elektra easily maneuvered him into punching the wall/doorway.
In the solo series we are told he left K'Un Lun before his training as the Iron Fist was complete, and we see in that footage Bakuto shows him that both fists should glow and have that power. So because of his childishness and incomplete training, Danny is only half the Iron Fist he should be.

And I wasn't really surprised at whatshisface hunter dude simply being thrown off the elevator. In the parking garage fight, he was getting tossed around by Luke pretty good. And Daredevil was taking him and Bakuto on at the same time, and winning.
That could just be Netflix still compensating for Ben Afleck, or perhaps just because they're inconsistent. Because yeah, for a guy who was supposed to be more evil and skilled than Nobu, and who made Stick nervous, he sure was taken out easy.

Speaking of Stick, why did he just lay there for 20 seconds and let Elektra kill him? With that huge distraction Matt gifted him, he could have tripped her and gotten up. Did he think his death would finally push Matt to where Stick thought he needed to go to defeat The Hand?

And the Daredevil solo seasons led me to believe that once The Hand resurrects you, you're good to go unless you get beheaded. We saw it with Nobu, and Howard Meachum. But here, it seems that "the substance" is needed every time? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Despite the above criticism, it was enjoyable - I've watched it twice through already. I really hope now that Danny says he's starting to feel at home, he'll be centered, and grow to not be a lovely Iron Fist in IF season 2.

Thinking on it now, it seems like while all the solo seasons were building up to Defenders, Defenders was just setting up the next seasons of the solo shows, and was a. It more low key than we might have been expecting. Perhaps that's what the Netflix Marvel folks are going for. This was just the next chapter in the overall story they're telling, and wasn't meant to be bigger, or have any greater focus or significance placed on it than any of the previous chapters.

Or maybe I'm just full of poo poo. That's very possible.

At any rate, I enjoyed it and watch it again.

The Hand are basically Highlanders. But there can be only more than one.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Is this like the trolling thread where people pretend it was bad?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It was just like every other Marvel Netflix show where you really have to try super hard to get up the energy for the last 2 episodes. By the last fight I was hoping the whole drat building would come down on all of them. Also unless Iron Man shows up Misty Knight is uber hosed and armless.

And what the gently caress is up with Luke's bulletproofness. I understand he pulls his punches but if anyone except Danny was hitting him he'd react like you'd expect a non-invulnarable man. A vulnerable man, I guess.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grem posted:

It was just like every other Marvel Netflix show where you really have to try super hard to get up the energy for the last 2 episodes. By the last fight I was hoping the whole drat building would come down on all of them. Also unless Iron Man shows up Misty Knight is uber hosed and armless.

And what the gently caress is up with Luke's bulletproofness. I understand he pulls his punches but if anyone except Danny was hitting him he'd react like you'd expect a non-invulnarable man. A vulnerable man, I guess.

They said Danny owns the hospital and has some good poo poo he keeps from the poors so I'm sure he will sort something out with Stark tech or some second rate Hammer arm that goes nuts and is a Luke Cage villain next go round.

I don't understand your bullet proof thing? He has skin that doesn't break, but he's also super strong and his bones and poo poo are tough to boot.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I really wish they'd made Sigourney Weaver Mephistopheles as was originally thought/leaked/theorised and had fighting Marvel's Satan the plot tbh. Have them use Elektra as the Portal to summon this old lady with demon powers. Much better villain.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Eh
I thought it was fine
The Hand was already unsalvageable and Danny even got a few laughs out of me

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean more like you can keep the Hand as villains, just have them summon Mephisto as played by Sigourney Weaver, it'd be great.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean more like you can keep the Hand as villains, just have them summon Mephisto as played by Sigourney Weaver, it'd be great.

No man, Sigourney needs to find Rick Moranis to open the portal for the big bad to come through.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I thought it was a fun team up adventure, pulling from all four individual shows. Honestly my biggest complaint was that we don't really see what Alexandria is capable of to lead The Hand, and the dragon bones at the end looked like something you'd see in a children's museum interactive exhibit on dinosaur bones. Aside from that I was entertained the whole way through and I thought this show had the best title sequence out of the four. I'm looking forward to the second seasons of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, as well as the third of Daredevil and the first of Punisher.

I fully recognize that Marvel stuff is focus tested and targeted at the widest audience and won't really be more than that. I even enjoyed Iron Fist, after waiting a month to watch episodes 4 through 13 after hearing nothing but meh reactions from everywhere.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Finn Jones is a noticeably terrible actor who dragged the whole thing down.

I really wanted to like Iron Fist, but everything about him was just awful. Although I did get a laugh when he was fighting the other Defenders and inexplicably knocked himself out using his own powers.

The Hand were the dullest, least threatening villains I've seen in a long time.

I got so bored/nauseous during the fight scenes that I started counting how many seconds there were between each cut instead, and I rarely got to 2. It was like those books that you flip through so the picture in the corner seems like it's moving, except all of the individual pictures were in the wrong order so you don't have any idea what the gently caress is going on

Daredevil and Jessica Jones had some good moments. But man, what a disappointment this show was

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Danzel Glovington posted:

This show loving sucks! Its shittiness borders on aggressively offensive.
the first 3 episodes are the worst live action thing i've seen that's had marvel's name on it since the mcu began. and i watched a lot of agents of shield. the dialogue, almost universally, was completely without any real substance. occasional quips or trite speeches mixed in with a big pot of exposition. lots and lots of exposition. there are very, very few real enjoyable moments between the main cast. this is compounded by the hand being lame. sigourney weaver is great and had some moments, but she was not working with great material. she was saddled with a lot of the trite.

i think the primary problem of the netflix shows so far has been that they hit on something with daredevil season one, then have proceeded to recreate almost the exact same storytelling formula for 6 seasons. they are afraid to take chances and tell the story differently, and i can understand why. but defenders really should have been handled differently. i think this is most apparent in the first three episodes when our main characters are separated, because it is a nearly incomprehensible disjointed mess.

i enjoyed all the other shows, including iron fist, but this was outright bad.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Welp, the main characters from the two best Marvel shows sure did get roped into a plot based on the two worst Marvel shows.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
My favourite fight scene was the Elektra one where it just cuts away with the lights and all the Hand ninjas are dead.

because i didn't have to watch it

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Couldn't Elektra have done that before she died though? Did the Black Sky mean a drat thing at all, because the way Stick talked about it it was supposed to be an apocalyptic nightmare or something. What the hell was the kid in season one supposed to do?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The best line of the whole thing was Matt's "It's your scarf".

But man why is the final fight for a team of four three members upstairs and one downstairs and two other idiots off somewhere else.

Just put everyone in a room and loving brawl. Or a hallway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Grem posted:

The best line of the whole thing was Matt's "It's your scarf".

But man why is the final fight for a team of four three members upstairs and one downstairs and two other idiots off somewhere else.

Just put everyone in a room and loving brawl. Or a hallway.

In what way was the final fight not exactly that? Or are you saying because the much-shorter Elektra/Matt one-on-one happened right after it doesn't count as the "final fight?"

• Locked thread