Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Deformed Church posted:

Hiding the identity of all the glowy dots is just a mistake in general, I assume it's a decision made by the same moron who thought fogging the skill tree was a good idea.

If you get anywhere near them and use Odin Sight they will show whether they're Gear or Ingots. If they stay a yellow dot even when you're near, you know it's nothing special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

There are plenty of bugs and other things I could complain about in this game but one that annoys me most consistently is the poor lighting in the inventory screen when you're swapping armors and weapons. I want to see my digital dress-up doll, damnit. I'm still enjoying it overall though because I'm a big ol' ho for open world games.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ainsley McTree posted:

It does occur to me that I am loving Sigurd's wife while he's away which might be cause for some resentment, but nobody's even really commented on that

And nobody ever will. There's not even a conversation with Sigurd about it. It's kinda funny that from the start Eivor is troubled about his visions of betraying Sigurd and if you choose to start loving his wife he's still like "The threads of fate will lead me to betray my brother... but how??"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok i posted this itt on november 8 2017 back when we were all playing origins

Earwicker posted:

open world Aegean Sea done in the style of AC4 (i.e. you have your own personal trireme etc) would be sweet

Odyssey was announced in June of the following year.

i hereby now declare: Russia during a span of several decades from the late 19th to the early 20th centuries (the player will begin the game as a master assassin who is sent to take charge of and reshape a corrupt and disintegrating assassins bureau) would be sweet

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 29, 2020

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
After 73 hours I've finished and uninstalled the game. First 20 hours I enjoyed it, the rest was a slog I just wanted to finish, the endings made me regret bothering to play it at all. Real glad I got it from uPlay+ instead of buying it outright. Some thoughts:

The basic gameplay was alright, a further departure from stealth which is fine because you don't have to use it a single time in the game. Unfortunately it felt very half baked, a lot of the abilities weren't very useful and there was just a severe lack of variety in moves. Having 3 types of bows without a way to swap between them sucked. I liked the new loot system, but there needs to be more variety and you should be able to assemble at least a lovely set of gear that suits you early on. The upgrade system kind of sucked because stats really don't mean anything. The gear actually ended up feeling less unique than Odyssey because the unique effects of armor and weapons were weak and watered down and nothing was really as interesting as what you got in Odyssey. The hidden dots are awful and should be removed without having to pay at the cartographer (to only reveal the yellow ones), there's just way too much to do in the game to waste your time hunting down every wealth node. There's a lot of systems where you pay a ridiculous amount of resources for middling effects, from upgrading gear stats which barely has any effect at all, the skill tree which was intensely boring, upgrading your quiver which gave you piddling amounts of arrows, the settlement where you have to upgrade every single building -and- completely almost the entire story before you can max it out and by high level resources.

The story was just disjointed. Eivor's character was inconsistent all around, changing wildly for every single quest. I just couldn't get attached to them at all and that brought the rest of the game down. Prominent example, you spend the whole game extolling honoring your word and so on and can even bring Sigurd back using that, but then the last questline you hear one person is dead and suddenly it's the final season of Game of Thrones and you break a truce and start burning everything down...while one character talks about how much less rash you are than before. The Order was meh, a lot of their plots just make no sense, you get practically no rewards for hunting them down, and the capstone to killing every single one is awful. There's no good payoff to pretty much anything you do in the game and the endings barely make sense even after slogging through the absolutely awful other map sections. The fact that the capstone to the English arc is capturing a small town, not using the whole castle invasion system, and then it turns out that's it, that's the incredibly anticlimactic ending. Then you think you are going to actually get to deal with Alfred with the Order capstone but..no, you have no choice but to let him go with no repercussions even though you just burned down a town and pledged vengeance against him.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

And nobody ever will. There's not even a conversation with Sigurd about it. It's kinda funny that from the start Eivor is troubled about his visions of betraying Sigurd and if you choose to start loving his wife he's still like "The threads of fate will lead me to betray my brother... but how??"

It's so weird! It would be a weird character choice even if they did assign any kind of weight or consequence to it but the casual nature of it just makes it so much weirder.

*Coming back from Cent with news that the only trace I could find of your husband is his severed hand in a torture chamber* "So....sex now?"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's so weird! It would be a weird character choice even if they did assign any kind of weight or consequence to it but the casual nature of it just makes it so much weirder.

*Coming back from Cent with news that the only trace I could find of your husband is his severed hand in a torture chamber* "So....sex now?"

Romances in video games are never great but this might be the worst I've ever seen. I can't imagine the kind of person that would pick the "let's kiss" or "let's have sex" dialogue options more than once just to see what happens.

Can someone who chose to romance a side character like the hunter lady confirm or correct my perception that once you choose to begin a relationship with them that that is basically the end of Eivor's interactions with them? Like you can still talk to them but there's no new dialogue or cutscene or anything.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm about at the point now where the game's length is really starting to wear on me. I feel like I've gotten a satisfactory amount of stealthing, stabbing, and raiding, but when I went to check my alliance map, I've still got four regions left :geno:

I think a big part of the fatigue is because each region (at least everything I've seen so far) looks the same. It was cool going from snowy, craggy Norway to the English countryside, but now that I've been here for so long, everything just kinda blends together.

I'm hoping I just picked them in a bad order and the rest of them will be more visually distinct—Lunden does stand out as the most developed city I've seen—but I couldn't tell you what all the other regions I've been to were called, or what set them apart.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Romances in video games are never great but this might be the worst I've ever seen. I can't imagine the kind of person that would pick the "let's kiss" or "let's have sex" dialogue options more than once just to see what happens.

Can someone who chose to romance a side character like the hunter lady confirm or correct my perception that once you choose to begin a relationship with them that that is basically the end of Eivor's interactions with them? Like you can still talk to them but there's no new dialogue or cutscene or anything.

The hunter lady seems to have a "let's spend time together option" after you romance her (distinct from the "kiss" and "take to bed" options) but I'm honestly finding the romances so boring that I don't have the energy to press it and see what it does, I assume it's the same activity that you did in order to romance her in the first place (archery contest or something? I don't remember or care)

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

exquisite tea posted:

The whole confrontation with Dag felt like a choice was cut out somewhere because of how completely contrived it was. I even agreed with him in most of the dialogue and said "yeah I'm not trying to replace Sigurd" at every given opportunity. Didn't seem to make a difference.

If you're trying to implement a choice/consequence system, one important part of that is to actually communicate to the player how things could have gone differently.

In my case the moment where you have to make a judgement on the whole horse shaving shenanigan's because you are the only one there and Dag jumps on the notion of you taking over again was super bizarre, since it came right after meeting Sigurd and Dag appearing to be content again. Personally was wondering what he wanted in that situation, for people to continue fighting and taking the piss until Sigurd comes back?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean I enjoy video game romances, but it's a shame that despite the drama laden potential in this one, nothing seems to occur beyond the initial starting of it? Like...I'm 3 zones from the end of the game, I assume there would be more content to it, considering it's a plot important character who's always there, it's such a waste of potential.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Simone Magus posted:

If you get anywhere near them and use Odin Sight they will show whether they're Gear or Ingots. If they stay a yellow dot even when you're near, you know it's nothing special.

Yeah but that's like 50m range, so at that point you're barely ahead of just walking up to them. It's the kilometre of horse and climbing, and the camp full of enemies you've already engaged, between the fast travel point and the identification range that loving sucks.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hey now, you still also gotta find the hole in the ground/underwater passage and keys in order to get to the chest. Its FUN, you see

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

404notfound posted:

I'm hoping I just picked them in a bad order and the rest of them will be more visually distinct—Lunden does stand out as the most developed city I've seen—but I couldn't tell you what all the other regions I've been to were called, or what set them apart.
I was oddly impressed by Colestre in Essexe, being a giant roman building in the middle of nowhere that's been repurposed into a sprawling market with tons of high-up ropes for no good reason.

Many of the most interesting pieces of architecture in this game are these big stone buildings that are supposedly 400 years old and look like they could collapse tomorrow yet people still build their villages around them

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Eimi posted:

I mean I enjoy video game romances, but it's a shame that despite the drama laden potential in this one, nothing seems to occur beyond the initial starting of it? Like...I'm 3 zones from the end of the game, I assume there would be more content to it, considering it's a plot important character who's always there, it's such a waste of potential.

To be fair there is one last bit of dialogue which might be related to it or it might just happen regardless where Sigurd and uh..I've forgotten her name already despite her being the romance I chose and her being the NPC I interacted with most tell you that they're getting divorced.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think you can also use the bird to reveal what a node is going to be by flying within 50 meters or whatever the range of it is, but I'm not sure this is really any less tedious than just riding there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I had to redownload the latest GPU drivers because it was giving my PC problems so now I'm back to crashing all the time in Valhalla, the last two times as I've attempted to just load into the game. I went and played some other games with no issue so I think this one is just borked. I'm about to siege Fulke's castle and I just want it to be over!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just finished storming Fulke's castle and rescuing Sigurd. I thought this was going to be the end of the game but 3 new areas popped up oh god.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So who's going to pick up the massive open world RPG adventure game from Ubisoft Montreal on day one next week

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

zoux posted:

So who's going to pick up the massive open world RPG adventure game from Ubisoft Montreal on day one next week

I don't even get what that game is supposed to be. It kinda looks like a single player mmo?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like "Ubi does BotW". It's set in Greek mythology and it's supposed to be good. But I'm gonna wait for a couple of patches I think.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Eimi posted:

Hey uh, when do you get rid of the disguise from the quest in Glowecestrecire? It seems I'm stuck in it well after the reasons for putting it on and I'd like my real cloak back. :ohdear:

If you can't just put your cloak on or off it's because you didn't talk to someone to finish the wedding stuff. I can't remember who - maybe Gunnar?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ainsley McTree posted:

For all its faults, I am really enjoying this game. It is definitely the most departed from "Assassin" that the series has ever been (you will routinely be raiding monasteries alongside NPCs in open battle, and set piece battles and castle assaults are pretty common along the critical path) but I've always liked playing the new trilogy as a warrior anyway so I'm having a blast with it.

I'm not prepared to say that they did a "good" job with the open world collectathon this time around, but I'm personally having a chill time putting on a podcast and riding around a beautifully-rendered fantasy England hunting for treasure and solving mysteries in between each alliance quest.

yeah. i treated odyssey as podcast/audiobooks game. learning while slaughtering Spartans by the boatful. i am sure i will enjoy this. Glad AC is done with the BIG THREE of mythology now. now for china or india or maybe 30 years war gemany.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zoux posted:

The one with the super generic title that I've already forgotten?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

the BOTW clone. watching the early playthroughs it looks fun. i'll probably pick it up because gently caress it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Protip, you can teach your horse to swim at the stables. Much easier than mucking around with the boat all the time

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

People are already playing that Ubi game early on twitch, so you can see the gameplay now. It looks like BotW as a rogue like, sort of collect abilities as you play and the game gets more complicated and interesting with combos and moves.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Ah. Maybe I'll pick up another month of ubi plus in January after 1 or 2 playthroughs of cyberpunk then. Unless there is some other release coming out in January that I'm forgetting

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I had to redownload the latest GPU drivers because it was giving my PC problems so now I'm back to crashing all the time in Valhalla, the last two times as I've attempted to just load into the game. I went and played some other games with no issue so I think this one is just borked. I'm about to siege Fulke's castle and I just want it to be over!

Try capping the frame rate to 60 with the game's settings. It has yet to crash for me after capping it and it was making GBS threads itself every 40-60 minutes post-patch.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ah. Maybe I'll pick up another month of ubi plus in January after 1 or 2 playthroughs of cyberpunk then. Unless there is some other release coming out in January that I'm forgetting

Witcher 3 ruined rpgs for me for years after. Everything I started I would compare back to it and they all seemed like garbage. If 2077 is as good as some people are saying it is I wonder if it'll have the same effect.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Witcher 3 ruined rpgs for me for years after. Everything I started I would compare back to it and they all seemed like garbage. If 2077 is as good as some people are saying it is I wonder if it'll have the same effect.

What is it, exactly, that makes Witcher 3 so mind-blowing? I've been hearing this for years, and now knowing it's on Game Pass I might finally check it out, but the hype surrounding it is intense.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It will be interesting to finally be up to play a CDPR game, since I just hate not playing as a woman in rpgs, and I finally can in Cyberpunk.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Toaster Beef posted:

What is it, exactly, that makes Witcher 3 so mind-blowing? I've been hearing this for years, and now knowing it's on Game Pass I might finally check it out, but the hype surrounding it is intense.

It has the best quests of any rpg imo. Especially if you include the dlc. It also might help that I enjoyed the combat more than others, though. Don't go in expecting some dark souls deep combat or whatever. I also really liked the first 2 games, so I was kinda attached to the world/characters

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Toaster Beef posted:

Nothing mechanically. Combat is so so. The rpg systems in it are fine but not amazing. But the stories and the world are incredible. Everything just feels right and convincing. The voice acting is superb. The characters all feel like people instead video game characters. It takes itself seriously enough to set a tone and stick to it. The times where it does make a joke those fit within that tone. You won't go from a heart wrenching side quest about children being orphaned in war to a sidequest about some lady that wants to fart badly enough to kill rats.

Not everyone likes it so you might not but people that do like it love it.

Like, wandering around in a Ubisoft open world, if you move through quickly enough it's fine but if you ever stop to take it in you realise immediately "Oh ..almost none of this is right. That shouldn't be there. What is that person even doing?"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Man, you kill a lot of Christians in this game. I'm mildly surprised no conservative chuds have complained about it. Like you're literally chopping heads off people as they say "Jesus protect me!" lol

Related, I hope they never "fix" the fact that the flail sends people flying 50 feet away more or less all the time

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

You can also tell by zoom level. The ones that disappear when you zoom out to the wider zone map are just ore and leather.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Eivor yelled something like ill burn this christchurch down at one point and it gave me a hearty chuckle.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eivor being an unrepentant pagan makes my day. I especially liked seeing the remnants of pagan Britain struggling in Glowcestercire. Part of why I worry about the ending of the story given all the Isu precursor nonesense if Eivor abandons her faith for christianity I will be really upset since being a pagan and confronting Christians is easily my favorite part of this game.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
"Hello, child. Your house is cursed by poo poo."

I dunno I'm pretty sure I like Eivor just as much as Kassandra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For the people who really hated the mythological realms, does knowing nothing about Norse mythology make it better or worse? The whole time I was playing I was hooting and hollering because "oh poo poo its the builder" or recognising lines from Thor's wedding etc. I also knew how every story would turn out p. much though.