Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I can’t wait to make this my next long podcast/audiobook game when it’s 75% off this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is it a hot take to think Syndicate is better than Unity?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

exquisite tea posted:

The French Revolution is filled with some of the most complex well-documented characters on the stage of human history and the game uses them like ayyyyy I'm Napoleon can you help me find my grandma's recipe I just know it's in one of the drawers over here.

There's also de Sade! He's so random, lol. And it's not clear why is he specifically a historical character with the most screentime.

It's also the only AC game that doesn't care about its setting and events at all. Syndicate is similarly bad but at least it invokes typical Victorian themes. Unity plot is a generic story that could be easily set up in any setting at all. The closest it comes to characters being involved in real historical events is fall of Bastille... And everyone knows it was almost empty at the time, not full of prisoners and guards.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope not because I think so too!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think it's consensus that it was good but underperformed because Unity killed interest in it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was incredibly forgettable but the city looked neat and the zipline was cool.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Mantis42 posted:

It was incredibly forgettable but the city looked neat and the zipline was cool.

Yep. It was very simplistic, not what you expect from the most modern part of the series. You basically have a grand Bond villain with a Bond speech (the only one I remember was directed at his minion, not even at heroes). His minions are villains of the week and your ragtag of heroes kills them one by one. In their first hour in London they meet Charles Dickens and Alexander Bell (an eccentric inventor of everything). There's also Karl Marx who is funny foreigner with some good intentions but our characters would never describe themselves commies, no sir. 10 years old Arthur Conan Doyle helps you do a detective work. As I've said at least this story has some connection to a historical setting unlike Unity, but it's like an AC spin-off for kids. And it has 17+ ESRB rating!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

syndicate had some of my favorite assassination animations. love how you can walk up to someone on the street and calmly punch a hole in their neck and then just keep walking without missing a stride as they collapse behind you

also racing around on a horse drawn carriage was more fun in that game than in rdr2

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the syndicate assassination animations are real good but nothing will ever beat Ezio just hurling the 2H swords as hard as he loving could in 2/Brotherhood

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Earwicker posted:

syndicate had some of my favorite assassination animations. love how you can walk up to someone on the street and calmly punch a hole in their neck and then just keep walking without missing a stride as they collapse behind you

also racing around on a horse drawn carriage was more fun in that game than in rdr2

I don't think it's as good as the horses in rdr2 (unless we're specifically talking only about the carts & carriages in that game, then i agree) but yeah getting around by driving was way smoother and more fun than I expected from this series, considering even basic horse-riding wasn't fun in any of the games up until then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Unity’s story is literally nonsensical and that’s coming from someone who’s studied the French Revolution. In fact knowing about the French Revolution ahead of time makes things worse.

yeah. like i never expected anything deep, but it doesnt even really follow the revolution which ok fine, background works but it doesnt even do anything fun and uses poo poo as set pieces.

Sandwolf posted:

Robespierre’s whole poo poo is hilarious in that game, like they remembered they had to put him in, so the Terror comes off like it lasts a weekend.

i mean the whole revolution in the game feels like weird week long cluster gently caress which sure it was a cluster gently caress but lol.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

I also just didn't think Unity was very fun or that the story was well-told or written

Unity had that magical opening that made main dude suave, dashing, and everything you would want out of a Harlequin published bodice ripper.

Then the rest of the game had nothing approaching that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They had nothing to say about probably the most contentious series of events in human history.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

They had nothing to say about probably the most contentious series of events in human history.

My completely unfounded theory is that they intended to feature the revolution more centrally, but then realized how confusing and complicated it actually was and never got around to figuring out how to do it before deadline

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Ainsley McTree posted:

My completely unfounded theory is that they intended to feature the revolution more centrally, but then realized how confusing and complicated it actually was and never got around to figuring out how to do it before deadline

This is how they did the US revolution so that tracks

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ubisoft is french right? Fuckin wild how they treated their own country with the same sort of distanced respect given to *checks notes* Montana cults and nepalese child slavery. I am 100% convinced that they attempt to push an ideology that I don't quite understand, like not a real one but some dumb Abstergo poo poo ideology.

Anyways, I bought AssCreed Valhalla last week. My last session I was treated with the an oddly insulting who-done-it in Grantbridgeshire:
I did like the set up. Hey I got 3 lieutenants, this is the mechanical path that is your first chance to build raid resources, so you get set-up fight, 3 raids, and an ending fight. Before that ending fight you can investigate the tunnel, read some letters putting out clues about yellow boats, and can viking shirlock out who's boat was the traitor's because each one is inscribed with a poem.

I had suspicions from Gailin because he was the only one who's whole crew got got, and it was by wolves. Then he stabs a guy boss lady told everybody not to stab, and shrugs his shoulders and gives a real bad excuse. Then he broods. If he wasn't the bad guy, this would have been dope. If he didn't signpost himself so openly and over and over, it would have been dope. But this felt blues clues as gently caress.

Birnya is now part of my crew because ol girl loves the city more than her swardsister

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Ubisoft is french right?

the main company is french but the team that makes many AC games including unity is french-canadian

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Babe Magnet posted:

the syndicate assassination animations are real good but nothing will ever beat Ezio just hurling the 2H swords as hard as he loving could in 2/Brotherhood

Have we forgotten Fight Club Evie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz5fXas5AYE

:unsmigghh:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Coming back to this after playing some other stuff. I've got Sussex and Snotinghamshire left. Roughly how long am I looking st to finish the game if I just do main quests?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At least 20 more hours, possibly longer if you haven't done the mythology zones yet.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
looked up from my phone to see this dude brushing my screen
https://i.imgur.com/2ENeeoh.gifv

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

moist turtleneck posted:

looked up from my phone to see this dude brushing my screen
https://i.imgur.com/2ENeeoh.gifv

How'd you get that ship skin?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's in the store, but you can buy it for opals from the kid in your village (reda?) [if the item is available that day]

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

moist turtleneck posted:

It's in the store, but you can buy it for opals from the kid in your village (reda?) [if the item is available that day]

Thanks. I've not been able to get the kid to ever load anything, always getting an error message and haven't been bothered to try to figure it out.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

AC: Unity is a game set during a violent and bloody revolution where nobody cares about politics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's a Ubisoft game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

AC: Unity is a game set during a violent and bloody revolution where nobody cares about politics.

i think the issue is less that and more it just doesnt do anything interesting with it. like id love to forrest gump around that time period but like idk you do anything outside a few of the co-op missions.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The Death of Marat is a murder mystery :shrug:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sandwolf posted:

Rogue is supposed to be a better game than III, right? Might as well just play through every one of these sons of bitches while I'm on a tear, but both cost $30 at this point in time for some reason, so I'm trying to decide which.

btw just wanted to shoutout the Ubisoft employee lurking these forums, every rear end Creed is on sale on Xbox right now.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The only AssCreed game I really had any major technical issues with is Origins, it seems to have some kind of issue where it stops loading high-detail models after an hour or two and then just crashes.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

The Xbox store has an AC sale right now. Trying to decide if it’s worth $22 for the Black Flag/Unity/Syndicate pack. Or maybe just Black Flag or Rogue? Given how slowly I play these games I’ll still be on Valhalla in June.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I picked up Rogue for cheap, and I'm not really feeling it. The ship combat is great, but everything else feels like an afterthought. Which the game basically is, being a cash grab to try and get some of the Black Flag money.

The story and missions are bare bones, many systems that were in Black Flag have been gutted, and the game actively looks worse than Black Flag despite being built on its foundation. And now after Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, the game world just seems beyond artificial and sterile. An unfair comparison for an older game to go up against the newest hottest, but the comparison remains.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

exquisite tea posted:

At least 20 more hours, possibly longer if you haven't done the mythology zones yet.

Holy hell, seriously? I'm already at 120 hours. Might just have to put this off for longer.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I picked up AC Rogue Remastered on Xbox last night, because my PC copy is garbage with ultrawide support.

Man, after ~300 hours of the recent RPG trilogy games, that 360-era control scheme is really... something to go back to. :stare:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

When is the dang transmog patch coming?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Quick question about Odyssey, I was farting around in the educational mode last night and I found a couple of weird little glitches in the Heraion of Argos and in Argos proper. They were like a waist-high, reddish-orange glow, Kassandra couldn't walk through them but could climb over them like it was a box or something. Are these unlockables, or something that's there in the main game that wasn't dummied all the way out?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69wDkXaR7c4

sounds like a smaller game set in either france or german/HRE is coming end of this year or beginning of next and the BIG AC game thats probably china comes in 2023.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

anyone else noticed a load more of those avenging a dead player things recently?

I went 120 hrs with just one and have had half a dozen in the last few hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Skarsnik posted:

anyone else noticed a load more of those avenging a dead player things recently?

I went 120 hrs with just one and have had half a dozen in the last few hours

I got my first one ever last night. Also I didn't get any reward for it, so what's the point of doing them?