Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

Jacob will always be My Sweet Garbage Boy but I'm glad they're going a new way because they're not gonna top Frye Sibling Nonsense anyway might as well just make a cool ex-ancient-cop looking to defend the people and all

i liked both the frye siblings but i was always annoyed about how dumb jacob was. i get that was his personality but idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked both the frye siblings but i was always annoyed about how dumb jacob was. i get that was his personality but idk.

Yea despite being 100% in love with that trash boy I also get how he'd annoy people. His sister explicitly explained the plot multiple times to him and even at endgame he was still all 'SO WE'RE GONNA MAKE THE ROOKS THE RIOGHT BIGGEST GANG IN LONDON YEA'.

Oh Jacob, my sweet simple husbando. It is probably best we're having an AC protag that actually...knows why he's doing all this magic crime.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea despite being 100% in love with that trash boy I also get how he'd annoy people. His sister explicitly explained the plot multiple times to him and even at endgame he was still all 'SO WE'RE GONNA MAKE THE ROOKS THE RIOGHT BIGGEST GANG IN LONDON YEA'.

Oh Jacob, my sweet simple husbando. It is probably best we're having an AC protag that actually...knows why he's doing all this magic crime.

i liked him alot. i am more of a ezio fan personally, kinda like shay. sure he is interesting. the kenways are mixed bunch, with haythem being the best, edward is fun and i like his arc and connor is a mixed bag of thing i like and dont like at the same time. arno is just british french ezio but alot less cool.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

bear is driving! posted:

If you're interested in tie-in stuff, the book Desert Oath is pretty good so far (got it yesterday, about 1/4 of the way through it). It goes into his backstory.

Yeah, I'm interested in checking it out but I was wary cause it's a video game book, worth it then?

Here's some music tracks from the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4fOIVlEOIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvIqT-5sWmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LTs0PCJJRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cFtBM7ZGws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGXdS8D3tis

I actually really, really like what I'm hearing so far... nice blend of Egyptian sounds and modern orchestra.

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011
So I didn't see this posted in the thread but regarding the Modern Day story this time, you're playing as an abstergo researcher. Third-person like the old games, you can hop in and out of the animus. The woman you're playing as is called Layla Hassan, she is researching Bayek to impress the higher-ups.
Phone-posting so can't copy and paste links but just head over to the AC reddit and look for the MD spoiler thread, there's a lot of pics taken from a stream done yesterday.

KramFoot fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 21, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, I guess it's better than being a first person tablet or just a series of short unplayable cutscenes.

Sounds corny described that way but I'm sure it'll play out better, wonder if she'll be the protag for the next game too.

I wonder if she can parkour or if there will even be any opportunities to leave the lab or whereever it is we're holed up.

edit: https://imgur.com/a/L5wq0

Welp, that answers some things, huge MD spoilers.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 21, 2017

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Any indication of how good or bad the PC port is? Have they only been showing console footage?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Apparently it's not a port, they've been developing a version for the PC specifically, that's about all we know.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KramFoot posted:

So I didn't see this posted in the thread but regarding the Modern Day story this time, you're playing as an abstergo researcher. Third-person like the old games, you can hop in and out of the animus. The woman you're playing as is called Layla Hassan, she is researching Bayek to impress the higher-ups.
Phone-posting so can't copy and paste links but just head over to the AC reddit and look for the MD spoiler thread, there's a lot of pics taken from a stream done yesterday.

Well as much as my ideal is zero MD at all at least they're doing something new. Plus going from the leaked images at least she looks more 'cool Lara Croft-ish explorer' than 'boring nerd turned MASTER ASSASSIN for no reason'.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Syndicate ran just fine on PC, Anvil or whatever it is really needed that extra year in the oven that Unity didn't get.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I’ve got Tuesday through Friday off, so it will be 2.5 days of Destiny 2 and then ACO/Wolf2 on Friday.

I’ll probably play mostly ACO Friday. I’m staying distracted with work, but damned if I’m not really looking forward to digging into it. I played and enjoyed 1, 2, and Brotherhood, but skipped everything else until I got Syndicate free with a new SSD and really enjoyed that. Origins looks like it will scratch all those RPG itches along with the huge world and whatnot. Just not sure if I’ll play with an elite controller or kbm. The elite controller would seem like the best choice, but any game that wants occasional precision aiming (like headshots with my bow), I almost always abandon gamepad for kbm. MGSV comes to mind, in my case.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

KramFoot posted:

Ok, this is how much I give a poo poo about modern-day AC plots, because I'm asking this for the first time - wasn't Desmond supposed to be a unique fit for the animus because he was delving into the memories of his ancestors? Why can anyone just go to any time period now that our favorite cutboard cutout is dead?

Edit - why does can anyone do able now will was could have?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 21, 2017

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Abstergo improved the Animus to the point that you don't need to be a descendant of the person in question to relive their memories. You still need a sample of their DNA or whatever to dive in.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Kopijeger posted:

Abstergo improved the Animus to the point that you don't need to be a descendant of the person in question to relive their memories. You still need a sample of their DNA or whatever to dive in.

Yeah, this started in Black Flag and has been the modern day conceit since then. The nameless faceless protagonists of Black Flag/Rouge and Unity/Syndicate weren't descended from the historical people, they were using someone else's genes in the animus.

... Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that actually started In Liberation, since it was the first Abstergo Entertainment product. Also what was it in the silly Facebook game? I seem to remember being just some random person for that one too.

(It's me, the person who actually likes the modern day stuff in these games)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Ok, this is how much I give a poo poo about modern-day AC plots, because I'm asking this for the first time - wasn't Desmond supposed to be a unique fit for the animus because he was delving into the memories of his ancestors? Why can anyone just go to any time period now that our favorite cutboard cutout is dead?

anyone can use it, but at least in the first few games, you could only see your OWN families memories. when Desmond died they took his and other peoples genetics or some poo poo and use those as software for the animus.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

anyone can use it, but at least in the first few games, you could only see your OWN families memories. when Desmond died they took his and other peoples genetics or some poo poo and use those as software for the animus.

IIRC, Arno and Kenway were both supposed to be related to Desmond still, using his "sample."

Not sure about Shay or the Frye twins. I believe it's been confirmed Bayek is not related to any previous protagonists.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Wouldn't Bayek be related to most people in the series though, considering the time gap? Since he's an Assassin/the first Assassin (so will hang around other people related to future Assassins) and probably travels a lot (meaning his descendants likely weren't living in enclaves) then wouldn't he be related to basically every other character in the series?

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 22, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think direct descendants work better.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
They're gonna have those crimesolver sidequests like Unity & Syndicate right? Cos I am so ready to play Detective Story : Egypt or whatever

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

They're gonna have those crimesolver sidequests like Unity & Syndicate right? Cos I am so ready to play Detective Story : Egypt or whatever

yes. its ripping off alot of what witcher 3 great and i have seen a ton of quests where you have to piece mysteries together.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Since it comes out this week, anyone know when first reviews are expected?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

macnbc posted:

my guess is Wednesday or Thursday.

question, any good books on ptolomiac Egypt?

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 23, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

macnbc posted:

Knowing Ubisoft they won't be until release day. Early reviews don't happen unless they're SUPER confident in the product.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUKMc2LbsUw

Preloads start tomorrow. :woop:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my guess is Wednesday or Thursday.

question, any good books on ptolomiac Egypt?

Not exactly what you're looking for but I read a book called Ghost on the Throne about the events following Alexander the Great's death which includes Ptolemy and Egypt, it was good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I had a dream that I was playing Assassin's Creed Origins but my guy kept getting chased by palace guards that refused to leash even when I rode my horse miles away. I then started to consider at which point horses in Ancient Egypt would no longer be an anachronism and woke up. Well that's my story folks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I pretty badly want this to be good because I want a cool game where I run around a region of Ptolemaic era Egypt doing Egypt things.

I do wish the series had taken a different direction--when I played Syndicate, I didn't come away wanting more leveling and crafting and loot. I came away wanting more complex stealth systems and cooler ways to be a sneaky assassin who doesn't just fight hordes of enemies in a frontal assault. But as much as I wish the series had gone in the literal opposite direction that it did, this still looks really fun, so I'm not that upset.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

exquisite tea posted:

I had a dream that I was playing Assassin's Creed Origins but my guy kept getting chased by palace guards that refused to leash even when I rode my horse miles away. I then started to consider at which point horses in Ancient Egypt would no longer be an anachronism and woke up. Well that's my story folks.

FWIW, horses had been around in Ancient Egypt at this point for something like... 1000+ years?

Harrow posted:

I pretty badly want this to be good because I want a cool game where I run around a region of Ptolemaic era Egypt doing Egypt things.

I do wish the series had taken a different direction--when I played Syndicate, I didn't come away wanting more leveling and crafting and loot. I came away wanting more complex stealth systems and cooler ways to be a sneaky assassin who doesn't just fight hordes of enemies in a frontal assault. But as much as I wish the series had gone in the literal opposite direction that it did, this still looks really fun, so I'm not that upset.

Not gonna lie, I always wished that the series focused more on stealth in the past too.
As it is, it feels like it was never a huge part of the game... it was just there as a very optional way to go about things, backed up by how haphazardly they always implemented stealth features.(conveniently placed bushes, closets, and awkwardly implemented social stealth that always had a 70% chance of breaking and making you get detected anyways)

It definitely should have had a bigger focus just because you naturally associate the word ASSASSIN with "sneaky person that's good at killing" and yet more often than not, you end up inciting small wars with every drat encounter.

At least the actual fighting will hopefully be better this time around.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 24, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

FWIW, horses had been around in Ancient Egypt at this point for something like... 1000+ years?

Yeah, it's hard to really overestimate how much trade and outside contact the Egyptian empires had.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deakul posted:

Not gonna lie, I always wished that the series focused more on stealth in the past too.
As it is, it feels like it was never a huge part of the game... it was just there as a very optional way to go about things, backed up by how haphazardly they always implemented stealth features.(conveniently placed bushes, closets, and awkwardly implemented social stealth that always had a 70% chance of breaking and making you get detected anyways)

It definitely should have had a bigger focus just because you naturally associate the word ASSASSIN with "sneaky person that's good at killing" and yet more often than not, you end up inciting small wars with every drat encounter.

Yeah, exactly. And while AC Origins clearly does support playing stealthily, it doesn't look like there's anything new for that playstyle except that now it's even more tied into the leveling and equipment system than it was before. But, eh, it's a full-on action-RPG now so that should be expected.

And really, I'm the guy who thinks the Uncharted series would be better if it didn't have as much shooting and you had to use more stealth and environmental tricks/fuckery to beat enemies, so what do I know? And Uncharted 4 actually scratches that itch pretty well anyway--in my latest playthrough of that I had a great time swinging around, being evasive, and punching dudes instead of shooting them whenever I could, which felt a lot more like what a character like Nathan Drake would do.

Deakul posted:

At least the actual fighting will hopefully be better this time around.

Hell yes. The fighting does look fun this time. I'm not going to miss the era of "press the counterattack button when it says to press the counterattack button."

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Xander77 posted:

After Desmond died Abstergo started the Sample 17 project, where they harvested Desmond’s DNA so Abstergo Entertainment could trawl through his ancestors looking for exciting stuff to turn into games and films. Advances in animus technology meant that researchers no longer had to be directly related to the subject.

Needless to say Abstergo Entertainment acts as a front for Abstergo Industries, who are using the data the researchers come up with to find Pieces of Eden and Sages.

(It is me, a guy who also likes the modern day stuff).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like the modern day stuff a lot more now that it isn't about Desmond and has this new trend of being kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Polygon's pre-review confirms the review embargo is up on Thursday morning

EDIT: \/ almost definitely tombs.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 24, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The animus entertainment system may also serve as a vector for Templar control, or for Juno's attempts at seizing control of the world's population.

I hope this game brings back puzzles and tombs in a big way- the signs are promising.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tombs are absolutely back.

Counter weights, timed switches, parkour puzzles, and Arkham detective mode puzzles ahoy.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Deakul posted:

Tombs are absolutely back.

Counter weights, timed switches, parkour puzzles, and Arkham detective mode puzzles ahoy.

Annnnd pre-ordered.

God dammit, game companies. Spread these titles out a bit over the year, will you? Backlog for miles this holiday.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Preload's available on uplay.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

exquisite tea posted:

I then started to consider at which point horses in Ancient Egypt would no longer be an anachronism and woke up. Well that's my story folks.
What?

Our oldest information about Egyptian warfare involves chariots. They weren't pulled by camels.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah there's evidence of horses in Egypt since like 1700 BC, what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dreams aren't logical, you dopes. You imbeciles.