Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

That game was supposed to come out following the hype of Black Flag because Ubi (rightly) thought people wanted more of the ship combat of that game.

Black Flag came out in 2013.

They missed the boat for hype for this game by 9 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sandwolf posted:

That game was supposed to come out following the hype of Black Flag because Ubi (rightly) thought people wanted more of the ship combat of that game.

I'd assumed it was complicated hush money for someone

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Sandwolf posted:

That was the last good asscreed game in my book, so it's as good a game as any for them to try and copy. But by now, Ubi has probably already copied over the cartoon art and cheesy animations to skull and bones and ruined it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

leap into history lol

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That beauty can be yours for just 52 :10bux: (no fatties) :

They put more effort on the webpage than on Valhalla's UI lol :
https://secretlab.eu/pages/assassinscreed

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kuiperdolin posted:

They put more effort on the webpage than on Valhalla's UI lol :
https://secretlab.eu/pages/assassinscreed

wat?

i mean i have plenty of complaints about the ui too but.. you do realize ubisoft didn't make this webpage and has nothing to do with this other than licensing the brand to a chair company right?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fair enough, I thought it was a Ubisoft website but I have the intellectual honesty to recognise when I'm tecnically wrong...

Still a wretchedly tacky chair.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yes it continues to boggle my mind how much money goes into utterly stupid poo poo like this, on both ends

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nothing is true, everything is for sittin’

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I have a Secret Labs chair and it’s absurdly comfortable

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Not worth the money, tho

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've been randomly dabbling in AC Odyssey lately and while I still think its the weakest of the Layla trilogy what helps a lot is all the overpowered abilities the DLC added. An ability that refills four adrenaline bars and does massive damage really streamlines the awkward combat! Playing on a PS5 so it doesnt take 2+ minutes to access the menu is also really helping.

About to embark on the First Blade DLC for the first time ever, to find out the...origin of the assassins I guess? Didn't we already see that happen far in the future?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think it's my favorite, mostly on the back of Kassandra and the setting (though Origins is beautifuller).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I've been randomly dabbling in AC Odyssey lately and while I still think its the weakest of the Layla trilogy what helps a lot is all the overpowered abilities the DLC added. An ability that refills four adrenaline bars and does massive damage really streamlines the awkward combat! Playing on a PS5 so it doesnt take 2+ minutes to access the menu is also really helping.

About to embark on the First Blade DLC for the first time ever, to find out the...origin of the assassins I guess? Didn't we already see that happen far in the future?

If you haven’t done it yet do literally everything else you want to do in the game first before you do the First Blade DLC. I’ve never encountered anything that makes me dislike the rest of a story and all the characters when I previously greatly enjoyed them before like that one.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

If you haven’t done it yet do literally everything else you want to do in the game first before you do the First Blade DLC. I’ve never encountered anything that makes me dislike the rest of a story and all the characters when I previously greatly enjoyed them before like that one.

I assume you're talking about the forced heterosexual relationship the plot foists upon you but no worries, I'm playing a bisexual Alexios :smug:

I remember that controversy because it's the only thing I heard about the DLC after it came out, it was such a bad decision that it completely overpowered any possibility of hearing about other spoilers entirely

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It doesn't help that one of the chapters is all about ship combat that many people dislike.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The best thing about this dlc is that at least it's not Atlantis.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I am an Odyssey apologist so I would say that Atlantis maps look great.

I still don't understand what was that story about and the best thing I can say about the story is that at least this puts you into the hero's shoes. I am yet to see a good Assassin's Creed expansion. Free additions to Odyssey, on the other hand, were great, cause they've added a lot of decent side stories. Of course, it only works if you enjoy the basic gameplay and a lot of people seem to be tired of it just from mainlining the main story which also means doing some of the major regional questlines or exploring a lot. But it's more than I can say about any other AC DLCs which all feel worse than the game they expand upon.

I still didn't play any of Valhalla's additions but I don't hear anything good about them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ilitarist posted:

I am an Odyssey apologist so I would say that Atlantis maps look great.

The vertically whilst visually cool, made getting around tedious.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Atlantis also has modern Kassandra, so it's clearly the best

wait, but it also instantly ends that, hmm

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Did they ever finish Tombs of the Fallen? Like you get some kind of secret artifact at the end of them but you don't get enough to unlock the final door?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ilitarist posted:

I am yet to see a good Assassin's Creed expansion.

Counting only the major ones :

Good :
Da Vinci Disappearance (BroHood)
Revelations (BroHood)
Freedom Cry (AC4)
Rogue (AC4)

Meh :
The Lost Archive (Revelations)
Dead Kings (Unity)
Hidden Ones (Origins)
Curse of the Pharaohs (Origins)

Bad but in an interesting/entertaining way :
Tyranny of King Washington (AC3)
Aveline (AC4)
Jack the Ripper (Syndicate)
Last Maharaja (Syndicate)

Jut bad :
all of Odyssey
all of Valhalla

gently caress you Ubisoft :
Battle of Forli/Bonfire of the Vanities (AC2)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Revelations and Rogue are standalone games, not expansions. I never played Freedom Cry but I also had an impression it's a separate game. You can buy it separately but it's also included in the AC4 Gold Edition, and it's clearly closely related to AC4 so it probably counts.

I have no memory of Da Vinci Disappearance so I googled it. I see it was bundled into PC version so I didn't know it's an expansion. Maybe it's good too, I don't remember.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I really liked the Ripper stuff. Was good to actually follow-up on an Assassin victory.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I know Rogue isn’t that short but it feels like it. After Shay’s turn unless you’re combing for optional collectibles things felt they moved super fast.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

TjyvTompa posted:

Did they ever finish Tombs of the Fallen? Like you get some kind of secret artifact at the end of them but you don't get enough to unlock the final door?

Part 2 is supposed to come out sometime in the fall.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I really liked the Ripper stuff. Was good to actually follow-up on an Assassin victory.

The tone was a huge miss for me. I didn't care much for Syndicate's Saturday Morning Adventures in Victorian London, but it was somewhat consistent. The Ripper takes a huge turn into Not Your Grandma's Victorian London and it felt forced and underexplored. And because of a huge timeskip I expected some general story relevance, but it's not related o any of the Assassin/Templar stuff and even doesn't seem to be part of Animus thing, yet we somehow get Animus glitches when we play as Jack who isn't available in Animus. I know it sounds like nit-picking and not that I care about Animus, but when the tone feels broken it takes you out of immersion on all levels and those things start bothering you. Atlantis inconsistencies bother me but I don't care about Bayek or Eagle Bearer's ability to set their sword on fire, you know what I mean.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I felt having it as a separate DLC let the tonal differences work in a way that would have failed if it had been integrated into the main game somehow (like the WW1 section).

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's also the fact that they indavertently spoil the end of Ripper in a throwaway line of the WW1 sequence. I suspect that sequence was to be the DLC, and Ripper was supposed to be in the main game, and they switched rather late in the process.

Just like there's a lot of hints that Henry Green was planned to be a third playable character at some point.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kuiperdolin posted:

Counting only the major ones :

Good :
Da Vinci Disappearance (BroHood)

Was this the one where you have to use all the Da Vinci vehicles? If so I'm already calling BS on this list because that wooden tank and mini submarine were so bad to control that I forgot nearly everything else about the DLC despite Da Vinci being one of the premiere characters of the series

quote:

gently caress you Ubisoft :
Battle of Forli/Bonfire of the Vanities (AC2)

On the AC2 flipside I'm gonna say this one wasn't bad because a dozen rapid fire assassinations with some challenge modifier at the very end of the game as a lead-in to the finale was one of the only times the series really went all-in on the whole "you are an assassin" concept

Of course that's me playing it rolled into the remastered Ezio trilogy several years later so if it was ridiculously overpriced at the time or something I wasn't privy to that

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wasn’t the issue it was removed from the base game to sell as DLC, and as a result there’s just a big missing chunk of story unless you bought it?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i know revelations was a full game but imo it's the most boring full game in the series and i understand why people might confuse it for a dlc, it felt like a smaller and less fun ac2/brotherhood with a thin coat of paint and a lovely new tower defense mechanic

i saw 20 posts in this thread and thought there must be some news but i guess its just ranking day again

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I only played Revelations up to the bizarre fort defense tactics battle and stopped, I may finish it someday but man every new mechanic they introduced was bad

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I only played Revelations up to the bizarre fort defense tactics battle and stopped, I may finish it someday but man every new mechanic they introduced was bad

The bombs were cool and completely pointless given how overpowered everything else was.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never once used the bombs or found any use for the bombs. AC2 series of games the combat was so easy. You could just parry every move into an assassination.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I assume you're talking about the forced heterosexual relationship the plot foists upon you but no worries, I'm playing a bisexual Alexios :smug:

I remember that controversy because it's the only thing I heard about the DLC after it came out, it was such a bad decision that it completely overpowered any possibility of hearing about other spoilers entirely

It's not just that. It takes a game that is largely carried by a set of likeable, interesting characters, where the devs left enough opening that you can fill in various motivations as you see fit. Then it takes those characters and says "actually here's the precise canonical version of them, and they're pretty boring and unlikeable tbh"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i know revelations was a full game but imo it's the most boring full game in the series and i understand why people might confuse it for a dlc, it felt like a smaller and less fun ac2/brotherhood with a thin coat of paint and a lovely new tower defense mechanic

i saw 20 posts in this thread and thought there must be some news but i guess its just ranking day again
Eh, I give it a pass because its a nice send off for Ezio and Altair. That Embers movie probably should have been packaged with it though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with Ripper is that it it extends a vanilla story that is already an act longer than is welcome, in a game that itself was probably just one too many at the end of a series. If you go back and play it as a standalone thing then it holds up reasonably well.

e: caveating, there isn't actually much assassinating to do, which is a bad thing for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never once used the bombs or found any use for the bombs. AC2 series of games the combat was so easy. You could just parry every move into an assassination.

Was it those games that had the especially brutal counter kill animations? Back when those older titles were coming out, I remember people complaining about how easy the combat was, but I always had fun just mowing through guys, stabbing them in the face with axes and stuff during counters. Since origin I've hated the way combat flows.