Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The gameplay principle was that it was quite easy to get kills, but if the alarm was raised then an infinite number of enemies would be spawning and running at you GTA style, so you needed to create space and run for cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

acidx posted:

Was it those games that had the especially brutal counter kill animations? Back when those older titles were coming out, I remember people complaining about how easy the combat was, but I always had fun just mowing through guys, stabbing them in the face with axes and stuff during counters. Since origin I've hated the way combat flows.

Yea the weapon animations and sound effects of the ezio games were the best they ever got imo, they were amazing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Syndicate had some really fun animations too.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

3 had the best combat animations. As a great man once said:

Kuiperdolin posted:

The best thing was doing a double musket kill that ended by firing at a guy through the body of his friend you'd just skewered.

Or grabbing a lobsterman as a human shield and watching him jerk as a whole volley of musket fire rekt him.

Or that contextual assassination where Connor started running up a wall and fell blade first on a guy's neck.

Or even when your attack got blocked by a beefeater and Connor glanced up briefly at his hatchet like "wut?" for a fleeting moment before getting beadbutted.

Now you can swing your weapon in a circle and watch life bars and energy bars go down. Fun.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Syndicate had some really fun animations too.

Definitely more on the "fun" side than brutal, but I think if I was into the whole steampunk Victorian England vibe, I would've appreciated the whole package a lot more. It's firmly in the "Good AC games" category for me, but things like that dazing animation where you pull the enemy down by their ears always felt silly to me.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

acidx posted:

Definitely more on the "fun" side than brutal, but I think if I was into the whole steampunk Victorian England vibe, I would've appreciated the whole package a lot more. It's firmly in the "Good AC games" category for me, but things like that dazing animation where you pull the enemy down by their ears always felt silly to me.

If nothing else the grapple gun was glorious.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So like that Roguelite mode is out.

Wild that Valhalla gets so many updates, a lot of them free.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
how is it?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilitarist posted:

So like that Roguelite mode is out.

Wild that Valhalla gets so many updates, a lot of them free.

kind of suggests there isn't much of a next game for them to be working on

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Where’s my Apocalypto rear end Creed?? I wanna climb giant step pyramids and flee jaguars in dense jungle!

Cool head dresses, tattoos/piercings, big obsidian bladed clubs

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 2, 2022

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Earwicker posted:

kind of suggests there isn't much of a next game for them to be working on

Feels practically insulting they haven’t even teased a new game in a year and a half.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Looking suspiciously at that roguelike expansion "why did you invest in the tech to do that Ubisoft, what is your endgame here?"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well the next game is going to be a forever gaas that they just keep adding bits to so it makes sense to use Valhalla as a prototype.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was wondering why I couldn't access this new roguelike mode to try it out and apparently you have to build Valka's hut and play the first part of Asgard, two things I deliberately avoided when I started a new save on PS5 (worst part of the entire game imo)

I guess that's one new loot treadmill I won't be jumping on :smug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked this game when I played through it originally, but the idea of ever playing it again just makes me so tired

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Wolfsheim posted:

I was wondering why I couldn't access this new roguelike mode to try it out and apparently you have to build Valka's hut and play the first part of Asgard, two things I deliberately avoided when I started a new save on PS5 (worst part of the entire game imo)

I guess that's one new loot treadmill I won't be jumping on :smug:

Hah. That’s funny — I’m in the exact same position for the exact same reasons

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Ainsley McTree posted:

I liked this game when I played through it originally, but the idea of ever playing it again just makes me so tired

Ubisoft's innovative new strategy to stop consumer fatigue from a new AssCreed release every year: shift all that fatigue onto the most recent AssCreed

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

I loved Odyssey and Valhalla, Odyssey more so.

But I didn't play Origins - does it hold up? Is there a Cult of Kosmos/Order of the Ancients in game? Because I loved doing that in both Odyssey and Valhalla.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's a rather primitive version of that system, yes. But it's much more tied to the main plot. I liked the twist that Whatsername actually takes care of several of your targets before you get to them.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Origins is really good, of the new 3 it's probably my overall favourite just for having a much tighter story and far less open world bloat. It still has that, it just didn't end up overstaying it's welcome like Valhalla & Odyssey did to me. I really liked Bayek as a protagonist too.

e] Also it's just cool as hell exploring the Egyptian pyramids and ruins, it has a really, I dunno, mystical & kinda eerie vibe that I didn't get in the others.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Origins is really good, of the new 3 it's probably my overall favourite just for having a much tighter story and far less open world bloat. It still has that, it just didn't end up overstaying it's welcome like Valhalla & Odyssey did to me. I really liked Bayek as a protagonist too.

e] Also it's just cool as hell exploring the Egyptian pyramids and ruins, it has a really, I dunno, mystical & kinda eerie vibe that I didn't get in the others.

The death scenes are definitely mystical and eerie. Bayek and Aya are great though. And I didn't hate the afterlife.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Origins is basically Odyssey without the absolutely massive amount of everything. That might make it sound worse, but I think the game benefits from having a narrower focus. That being said, the FF15 tie in chocobo still gives me nightmares.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Origins is basically Odyssey without the absolutely massive amount of everything. That might make it sound worse, but I think the game benefits from having a narrower focus. That being said, the FF15 tie in chocobo still gives me nightmares.

that thing owns, what are you talking about

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I agree with all of this, it has the best vibes of all three

The Sigrblot festival is going on in Valhalla right now and it's kind of interesting, as far as these limited time holiday events can be. Its the only one that's directly tied into another plot, basically it's the lead-in to the Siege of France DLC. This is something that they actually did a lot of in Origins too, a random free lead-in quest to paid DLC, although I don't think Odyssey did this (though it did add a shitload of random free DLC quests, they were all self-contained and several of them ended with you banging random NPCs).

Its a strange idea but kind of a 'nice' way to advertise the DLC with something the player might still actually want to interact with, as opposed to something like Dragon Age where a random guy just stands over your camp with dollar signs over his head.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Origins also has actual mystery! In the latter two you would get a map marker and a material reward, here you find something odd in the desert without explanation or incentive. And Bayek accepts it without question, because the gods are everywhere.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Origins also has areas (with hyenas) that are nearly inaccessible until you are at a high enough level.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Origins also has actual mystery! In the latter two you would get a map marker and a material reward, here you find something odd in the desert without explanation or incentive. And Bayek accepts it without question, because the gods are everywhere.

And then he rides a Chocobo.

But really, Origins is probably the best AC game in terms of the main plot narrative and the design of locations along the main path. It takes a dive down in other places compared to Odyssey and even in some places compared to Valhalla. Gameplay-wise it might be the worst of the new trilogy as unlike the rest it's the kind of open world where depending on your level there's only a small number of things you should do (rewards do not scale, enemies 3 or 4 levels above you one shot you and are invulnerable to assassination). But it's still not something you should pass if you liked Odyssey/Valhalla style of open-world AC.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Thanks all - definitely going to start Origins up next.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Origins also has the best music of any AC game imo

Valhalla had some good stuff but the overall audio mixing was so terrible it kind of ruined that side of the game for me

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Origins is an absolute no brainer. It’s very good.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Also really liked Origins. Great setting and good main characters.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I really enjoyed Odyssey and will probably play it through again sometime. But I found Valhalla eventually just got kind of boring. They seemed to try to cram too much stuff into it that it lost focus on the storyline. Oh, you've made an alliance with a Shire? Great, now go and make an alliance with another Shire. And then guess what I need you to do? And Eivor just isn't as likeable a character as Kassandra.

I got to the stage where we find out that Fulke has chopped Sigurd's arm off, but I couldn't really be bothered to carry on after that.

I also found the levelling system a bit odd - I very quickly seemed to out-level everything, to the stage where I've been finding castles, single-handedly killing everything in them only to find later it's part of the story - "We need you to raise an army to attack this impenetrable fortress!".

But it sounds like Origins might be worth a go.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I found Origins’ combat pretty crap to play after the sequels.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Stoatbringer posted:

I also found the levelling system a bit odd - I very quickly seemed to out-level everything, to the stage where I've been finding castles, single-handedly killing everything in them only to find later it's part of the story - "We need you to raise an army to attack this impenetrable fortress!".

The main story in Valhalla really only works if it is all you do. No extra exploring or sidequests; just do the main quest, and you'll be about the right level and the story will keep its momentum, such as it has. Everything else can be done afterwards, as the fancy takes you.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

All this reminiscence of Origins pushed me into trying to play Curse of the Pharaohs. Previously I've started it but was chased away by undead (teleports behind you) Pharaohs. Like how can people talk about Odyssey and Valhalla beasts and mythological places being immersion breaking after that?

And while that part is poorly implemented the rest of the map is as good as the best parts of the main game. The combat is simplistic compared to following games, but that is only an issue if you got trapped in the completionism, look for the beast weapons, try to defeat all the elephants etc. Duwat is beautiful and varied. It's not as mind-blowingly big as Odyssey expansions but it's still very cool. Definitely 100%-ing this expansion.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I got 100% in Odyssey and Origins, but Valhalla decided to have Battle Mastery cheevoes and I have no patience for that.

Or for fishing minigames.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Well the next game is going to be a forever gaas that they just keep adding bits to

that legitimately reads to me as 'death of a franchise'

guess we'll see, Ubi isn't doing so hot this year

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm the weirdo who likes fishing minigames, and I'm probably the person they keep putting them into games for, so sorry about that to the rest of you, but even I couldn't stand Valhalla's. unfun and obtuse, it was a shame.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

.oO (I should play Immortals instead of more Valhalla)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

victrix posted:

that legitimately reads to me as 'death of a franchise'

guess we'll see, Ubi isn't doing so hot this year

Yeah their whole Twitter persona feels like they’re trying to manufacture love for the whole series