Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ilitarist posted:

Up until he goes into precursor ruins, listens to ancient messages, gets freaking teleported, and then goes meh, nothing to say about it, now let me dream about my dead son some more.

If I recall correctly he freaks out a bit but in a 'I am super devout and we shouldn't mess with obvious god stuff' way and backs off. Like, to him would it have been any different than the sidequest where he gets dosed with hallucinogens in a hut and descends into the underworld to fight that snake god?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

If I recall correctly he freaks out a bit but in a 'I am super devout and we shouldn't mess with obvious god stuff' way and backs off. Like, to him would it have been any different than the sidequest where he gets dosed with hallucinogens in a hut and descends into the underworld to fight that snake god?
gently caress that sidequest by the way. It's not fun at all.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Well, with cyberpunk delayed I'm about to go ham on some Vikings for Thanksgiving...

Simone Magus posted:

Oh for sure. AC3 is actually the only mainline game I'd outright recommend skipping. The George Washington DLC was really good though, and Liberation is surprisingly fun

AC3 probably has the best ship sequences in the series, tbqh...

I'm not sure if that's a compliment, but it is true.

ilitarist posted:

I've tried Unity recently and was surprised by how aggressively F2P it felt. I heard they made it easier to unlock stuff without paying but still, the game constantly reminded me that I could buy this cool thing with real money. Also while the main game was pretty stable multiplayer still was buggy and horrible and choppy. Reminded me of my dial-up days.

I was also rather hyped about assassins during the French revolution cause it felt like a perfect setting for the game. But in reality the revolution barely matters in the plot. You escape Bastille in the beginning in an epic siege (again, I'm reminded that some people might think that this sequence might have something to do with real history cause there are no flaming swords so lack of flaming swords in that instance is a minus, though at least you have shining invisible writings on the wall) and then sometimes you see some guillotine and people sing revolutionary songs on the street.

On the other hand, it's a first AC game that really aims at portraying a "photorealistic" historical setting. Buildings and streets are of the right size, the city has different districts with somewhat different people and businesses, central part of the city corresponds to the real map as 1:1. They've expanded on it in Origins and Odyssey and lost the right scale on the way. But the point is in actual detail and density of stuff. I think Unity would be remembered more fondly if they added a Discovery Tour , so that you notice all the effort that went into a background of a dumb story that has little to do with actual history.

Yeah, they really wasted the setting of The Terror and I don't think the game even touches on The Great Terror and half of the revolution gets sidetracked.

Anyways, I hope they do Haiti next.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Well, with cyberpunk delayed I'm about to go ham on some Vikings for Thanksgiving...

Just saw this news. I guess this makes the choice easier.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Just saw this news. I guess this makes the choice easier.

Honestly I'm relieved, I would have felt like I was missing out on one game or the other anyway. Now I don't have to care

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Ubisoft should be sending them gift baskets, Watch Dogs will undoubtedly see a bump from this news too

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

Ubisoft should be sending them gift baskets, Watch Dogs will undoubtedly see a bump from this news too

I think Ubisoft have long given up on Watch Dogs.

e: \/\/ yeah, 'Isn't this AAA game coming out on Friday? Isn't a question you want people asking unless you know your game is complete dogshit and you are just hoping to sneak as many sales under the radar as possible.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 27, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

isnt watch dogs on friday? im going to wait and see what people say about it over the weekend i still think it might be good. or at least ok

quote:

yeah, 'Isn't this AAA game coming out on Friday? Isn't a question you want people asking unless you know your game is complete dogshit and you are just hoping to sneak as many sales under the radar as possible.

true but i have also personally completely lost track of time in a way that doesnt really reflect on anyone's marketing plans

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 27, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wait, Legions is out on Friday? Lol

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
What I appreciate about Ubisoft is the culture of entrenched misogyny fact that even when a game like Watch Dogs isn't really a huge hit they still keep on keeping on with updates and such. Like, in addition to expansions and such apparently they snuck a little Lovecraftian mystery into WD2 after release in a patch that gave you a secret outfit that let you kill people telekinetically? That I didn't learn about until like a month ago?

It's kind of commendable in the era of 'this game didnt do COD numbers the first week of sales, gently caress it no more patches' EA style of game development. I don't think WD has ever done super well especially next to AC or Far Cry but they just keep making them anyway :unsmith:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wolfsheim posted:

What I appreciate about Ubisoft is the culture of entrenched misogyny fact that even when a game like Watch Dogs isn't really a huge hit they still keep on keeping on with updates and such. Like, in addition to expansions and such apparently they snuck a little Lovecraftian mystery into WD2 after release in a patch that gave you a secret outfit that let you kill people telekinetically? That I didn't learn about until like a month ago?

It's kind of commendable in the era of 'this game didnt do COD numbers the first week of sales, gently caress it no more patches' EA style of game development. I don't think WD has ever done super well especially next to AC or Far Cry but they just keep making them anyway :unsmith:

this kind of reasoning almost makes me want to support Legions, it looks like a cool game that's like an open world Hitman game, it could be really good, and it's not just another generic shooter / hack n slash

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

JustaDamnFool posted:

I mean, that's part of the reason why the Sci-Fi elements are so often the weakest parts of AC writing; in 2 the alien reveal was the shocking revelation at the end of the game, but by now most players are going to be inured to it, so it's impossible to write these revealing moments with the gravitas they deserve when any time spent with the character processing the fact that aliens exist is just retreading old ground.

I think its less about shock value now, just the fact 2 was the only one that treated it like a bombshell. 3 tried to take the ball and fumbled it, and then its been a non factor in every game since basically.

Its hard to care when they don't treat it as important, like Syndicate is a perfect example of that.

I can only hope with Valhalla they either finally want to move forward any of it(since nothing has moved forward since 3), or this is just the writeoff of that plot and we stop bothering.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wolfsheim posted:

yeah. ubisoft seems to at least learn from their gently caress ups when it comes to game designs and they always add tons and tons of poo poo into their games. like i am sure the next ghost recon when it gets announced will learn a ton from the last game because it was a massive directionless train wreck even if it had some cool ideas. i mean look at division1 vs 2. or AC 1 vs AC 2. etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

i didnt learn that until this post and i actually still play wd2 from time to time i guess i just didn't see that upgrade

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. ubisoft seems to at least learn from their gently caress ups when it comes to game designs and they always add tons and tons of poo poo into their games. like i am sure the next ghost recon when it gets announced will learn a ton from the last game because it was a massive directionless train wreck even if it had some cool ideas. i mean look at division1 vs 2. or AC 1 vs AC 2. etc.

Ubi is the king of the turnaround for sure. Like look at R6 siege, game was basically dead on arrival and now its a juggernaut.

That's why I look forward to a For Honour 2, so much potential but not fully realized and given Ubi's history they could turn it into something huge. Like the games gotten constant support(and bless them for it) and is much better now, but in a sequel they can get past a few of the trappings that are kinda inherently baked into the game and they can go nuts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'll likely get Legion on a holiday sale if it gets good reviews, I'd rather get AC: Viking Funtimes first but it looks neat and I liked Watch Dogs 2 a lot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Ubi is the king of the turnaround for sure. Like look at R6 siege, game was basically dead on arrival and now its a juggernaut.

That's why I look forward to a For Honour 2, so much potential but not fully realized and given Ubi's history they could turn it into something huge. Like the games gotten constant support(and bless them for it) and is much better now, but in a sequel they can get past a few of the trappings that are kinda inherently baked into the game and they can go nuts.

yeah. it makes me curious about beyond good and evil 2. like i know that games in dev hell right now apperently.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I'll likely get Legion on a holiday sale if it gets good reviews, I'd rather get AC: Viking Funtimes first but it looks neat and I liked Watch Dogs 2 a lot.

same.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Then where is my playable Heroes of Might and Magic 8?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ubisoft is a mixed bunch. On the one hand they're willing to iterate their games and support them long after others would give up, on the other hand the iteration they are mostly going for is a hunt for the 'one true formula for an open world game' which results in these soulless abominations being let out onto the world.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Ubisoft is a mixed bunch. On the one hand they're willing to iterate their games and support them long after others would give up, on the other hand the iteration they are mostly going for is a hunt for the 'one true formula for an open world game' which results in these soulless abominations being let out onto the world.

true. i do think they have gotten alot better since far cry 3/4 formula though. they seem to have found their groove with AC as of now. the issue is who knows with the rest. i assume far cry 6 is gonna be like 5 but with like an actual character and story and not a broken pacing system. watch dogs legion seems to have taken shadow of mordor to its logical end point.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. it makes me curious about beyond good and evil 2. like i know that games in dev hell right now apperently.

When Ancel quit it was revealed that the whole production had been a shitstorm. The development changed direction at least five times, Ancel suddenly decided that they needed to develop a brand new game engine during production and Ancel was allegedly abusive against staff. It ha also been alleged that the stuff we have seen from the game was carefully picked to make it look like the game was more finished than it really was. Basically, the game is never coming out.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

CommunityEdition posted:

Then where is my playable Heroes of Might and Magic 8?

Say what you want, but they did release Might & Magic X Legacy which turned out to be a great old-school RPG. It was even too old-school for M&M6-8 fans (there are no M&M9 fans in case you were wondering) cause it was all turn-based and grid-movement. And it wasn't cheap pixel art deal so true hardcore connoisseurs didn't care about it too.

Ubisoft was very aggressive with their F2P always online elements in their full price single-player games for awhile. Like Assassins Creed 2 being always online in freaking 2009 (I still don't have stable enough connection for that). They seem way tamer now. Yeah, they make similar open world games. But it's not like I'm bored of delving into extremely detailed historical settings or even modern foreign cities.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skull and Bones is pretty much MIA too. It was supposed to ride the wave of enthusiasm for Black Flag's naval combat except everybody has forgotten about that now. The last news is that maybe it was rebooted but maybe not.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Oh nice, there's a warrior tree talent for loud assassinations. You butcher one dude and everyone in the area is alerted, and your adrenaline fills for each person who is made aware. Reminds me of Ghost of Tsushima in a way, letting everyone know you are here and its go time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srX9v6_Xk28&t=271s

4:30 if the timestamp doesn't work.

Also other cool skills:
-Assassin tree skill that lets you grab projectiles out of the air and throw them back at your foe(reaction timing needed)
-Warrior tree talent that lets you dual wield great weapons
-Hunter tree skill that lets you pick up and throw fallen enemies weapons at people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Evil Canadian posted:

Also other cool skills:
-Assassin tree skill that lets you grab projectiles out of the air and throw them back at your foe(reaction timing needed)
-Warrior tree talent that lets you dual wield great weapons
-Hunter tree skill that lets you pick up and throw fallen enemies weapons at people.

Reminds me of the exact same skill for the Barbarian in Diablo II, and how it was an absolute must for how I played that class. (Which was leaping around the screen constantly with two giant gently caress off swords. It was the best.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 28, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

My brain skipped the word "weapons" in this sentence the first time but i guess it's still a cool ability

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

just let me dual wield enemy soldiers already

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

bike tory posted:

just let me dual wield enemy soldiers already

What if in the next game... get this...

*bong noises*

two birds

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

Skull and Bones is pretty much MIA too. It was supposed to ride the wave of enthusiasm for Black Flag's naval combat except everybody has forgotten about that now. The last news is that maybe it was rebooted but maybe not.

yeah. also sea of thieves became a good game apperently.

Alhazred posted:

When Ancel quit it was revealed that the whole production had been a shitstorm. The development changed direction at least five times, Ancel suddenly decided that they needed to develop a brand new game engine during production and Ancel was allegedly abusive against staff. It ha also been alleged that the stuff we have seen from the game was carefully picked to make it look like the game was more finished than it really was. Basically, the game is never coming out.

yeah games probably hosed sadly. it reads like a pipe dream of the fable variety and it probably got remade like 30 times.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. also sea of thieves became a good game apperently

i heard its fun if you have a good group of people to play with, but as a solo player its not very fun at all

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Simone Magus posted:

What if in the next game... get this...

*bong noises*

two birds

:2bong:

far out, man

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If they don't do two birds in the game about Odin, then when... seriously

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dude's name reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqSn5Cnw74

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hopefully this game's launch goes better than Watchdog's lol. Legion is bricking people's consoles.

also sea of thieves has always been good, it's just better now for people who don't want to focus on pvp (but still want to do it when the opportunity arises).

Earwicker posted:

i heard its fun if you have a good group of people to play with, but as a solo player its not very fun at all

it's not designed to be played solo which is why it's so difficult to do. You're supposed to party up so you have people watching your back and helping you pilot the boats. If I recall you couldn't even play solo early in the beta, it was outcry from the forums that made them add the option.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Lol theres a voting reminder in the AC:O pause menu.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hi liter posted:

Lol theres a voting reminder in the AC:O pause menu.

Goddamn athenian propaganda

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is that origins or odyssey

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I'm playing Odyssey and it's on there.

edit: also lmao at putting that on Odyssey which has such a strong "voting alone will not save you, you must take direct action to save society" theme with the Athens stuff

Namaer fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 29, 2020

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Skull and Bones started as a ship pvp game, then was a pvp and also pve game, and if it ever show ups again I would not be surprised if it becomes a standard Ubi open world game. I think the second time they showed info and revealed the pve aspect of it, they showed your captain walking around on a dock which wasnt in the original pitch, it was just you as the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The game about ancient Greece developed by people from Montreal, Quebec, Singapore, and Milan kindly reminds Americans about the greatness of their democracy.