Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought Vinland was Finland for a while and couldn't understand how nobody knew where it was, or why we were heading west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry but Assassin's Creed Silk Road™ would be so much cooler than boring rear end Japan which has been done in countless video games.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FallenGod posted:

First time encountering a 90 power zealot at power level 30ish: wow gently caress that guy, I can't even hit him more than once before being blocked and he just keeps doing his combo through my parry. how do you even fight this?

Second time, having picked up Brush With Death: lmao :snoop:

That's pretty much the general advice for zealots:

Essential:
- Brush With Death (Yellow skill tree; slows down time after a last minute dodge)
- Focus of the Nornir (active ability, slows down time while firing several arrows)

Brush With Death gives you time to actually hit them whenever you manage to pull it off, and Focus of Nornir lets you (relatively) easily hit their glowing weak spots to take out their armor. If you use your L1 off-hand special for damage, use any melee adrenaline ability to recover your stamina so you can keep dodging!

Nice-to-have:
- Sprint Attack (Blue skill tree; powerful attack while sprinting)
- Backstab (Yellow skill tree; extra damage + stagger when hitting from behind)
- Last Chance Healing (Blue skill tree; prevents you from being one-shot a few times and gives you a time slow effect when you health is low)
- Grit (Blue skill tree; Bloodborne-style partial healing when you hit an enemy who recently damaged you)
- Harpoon Impalement (active ability, harpoons an enemy and lets you toss them around)
- Extra Adrenaline (one in each skill tree)
- Missile Reversal (Yellow skill tree; lets you throw/shoot back enemy projectiles by parrying them)

Sprint attack pairs nicely with time-slow effects - it does a lot of damage and if you're quick you can sneak it in whenever your Brush With Death activates. Pair with Backstab for even more damage!
Grit will save you a lot of rations if you find yourself getting hit occasionally, and it combos nicely with the extra time-slow from Last Chance Healing.
Harpoon Impalement lets you toss Zealots to open up attack opportunities, or just chuck them headfirst at walls for a ton of damage (or off cliffs if you're lucky enough to be near one). Extra Adrenaline lets you Harpoon them more often.
Missile Reversal is basically free damage against Zealots with ranged attacks once you get the timing down!

It's also possible to learn Zealots' attack patterns and parry/counter them to death Sekiro-style, but some of the attack chains are obnoxiously long.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 26, 2020

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

God, the drat three-wolf fight in Oxenefordshire is somehow even worse than the boar fight in Odyssey. Not gonna touch that one again until I've got another hundred skill points under my belt :suicide:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

For two wolves: No other wolf will jump up on the roof with the white wolf, and only the black wolf will jump up on the other roof once the white wolf is dead.

The last wolf is annoying, but pumping it full of all the arrows you can find will bring it pretty close to dead.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Patch is live on playstation

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Re: End of Essex Arc.

So I apparently guessed the wrong traitor and got ambushed at the very end, leaving Estrid injured on the boat the Frankia. Does the outcome of that questline differ if you pick the right traitor? If so, that's pretty neat.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

New patch does wonders for the Series S. I can finally play it at 60 fps, and I can hardly tell the difference in quality most of the time

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Re: End of Essex Arc.

So I apparently guessed the wrong traitor and got ambushed at the very end, leaving Estrid injured on the boat the Frankia. Does the outcome of that questline differ if you pick the right traitor? If so, that's pretty neat.

Yes

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Frame times in the new patch seem to be better, both of the below runs were done at the same settings (1440p ultrawide, max settings save for medium AA, and very high instead of Ultra on clouds, shadows, and world detail)

Pre Patch v1.0.2

Post Patch v1.0.4

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Boo! They fixed the bug that let you avoid fall damage by doing an attack when you fell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Can you still valkyrie dive through doors to open locks though.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Boo! They fixed the bug that let you avoid fall damage by doing an attack when you fell.

Ah gently caress, this will greatly change my experience

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Different strokes and all but I love the lack of loot. Chests having upgrade materials means I can reliably get more powerful without having to change gear, and it also means I can ignore them if I want.

In case you didn't notice, when you get close to a yellow dot, it shows if it's gear or ingots; if it stays a little yellow dot then you know it's iron and leather and you can ignore it if you want

I dunno I'm 12 hours in and still in Norway and this is easily the most fun I've had with AC since Brotherhood.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Extremely rude! That saved me a lot of time.

Simone Magus posted:

Different strokes and all but I love the lack of loot. Chests having upgrade materials means I can reliably get more powerful without having to change gear, and it also means I can ignore them if I want.

In case you didn't notice, when you get close to a yellow dot, it shows if it's gear or ingots; if it stays a little yellow dot then you know it's iron and leather and you can ignore it if you want

I dunno I'm 12 hours in and still in Norway and this is easily the most fun I've had with AC since Brotherhood.

It gets a bit more annoying when you are 40 hours in and still barely have any gear and not any of the specific type you were looking for! Also the little "puzzles" you have to do for every single bit of loot get tiring and old fast.

Honestly pretty much the entire time I've been playing the game I've been itching to go back and play Odyssey instead. Eivor is just such a flat character (especially in comparison to Kassandra), they have interesting character traits but are only allowed to show in very specific instances and leave them mostly feeling like they have no direction and are just doing stuff to have something to do. I liked the beginning of the game but my opinion has just been going down the more I play and I'm really just shooting to finish the game and move on at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is exactly what the Odyssey thread looked like, except talking about Origins.

Although nobody liked Bayek more than Kassandra.

Shammypants posted:

Is there a reason to get a PS5 version of the game not on sale, when the PS4 version has a PS5 digital upgrade for free and is on sale? Is the upgrade not the same as the PS5 version?

No difference at all.

The only time you'd be stuck is if the PS4 disc was on sale but you had a disc-less PS5, since the upgrade requires the PS4 disc in there as a key.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zeron posted:

It gets a bit more annoying when you are 40 hours in and still barely have any gear and not any of the specific type you were looking for! Also the little "puzzles" you have to do for every single bit of loot get tiring and old fast.

Honestly pretty much the entire time I've been playing the game I've been itching to go back and play Odyssey instead. Eivor is just such a flat character (especially in comparison to Kassandra), they have interesting character traits but are only allowed to show in very specific instances and leave them mostly feeling like they have no direction and are just doing stuff to have something to do. I liked the beginning of the game but my opinion has just been going down the more I play and I'm really just shooting to finish the game and move on at this point.

My feelings on the game tend to fluctuate with whatever main quest I'm on. I did Vinland, Jotunheim and Cent in a row which were all kind of duds but I just finished the Essex Arc, which I did enjoy a bit more. It does bother me that I haven't found anything in the last 40 hours to really change up my gear choices or playstyle.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

This is exactly what the Odyssey thread looked like, except talking about Origins.

Although nobody liked Bayek more than Kassandra.

I thought everyone liked Odyssey more than Origins, and it doesn't look like very many people agree with me :confused:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I bumped up the difficulty one grade above default and regular combat is still absolutely trivial but bosses 2-shot me and are a not-particularly-fun slog. Is there a thread consensus on what feels best?

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I bumped up the difficulty one grade above default and regular combat is still absolutely trivial but bosses 2-shot me and are a not-particularly-fun slog. Is there a thread consensus on what feels best?

I change it up as needed. I run around in hard mode, but trying to take on the level 90 zealot shield tank when he can one shot you is dumb.

It’s not even two shots. He can bounce you into his trap radius and whoops there goes Eivor

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

exquisite tea posted:

Can you still valkyrie dive through doors to open locks though.

How exactly do you do that? Does it need to be the second tier?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Aphrodite posted:

Cool kids hate the latest entry N in anything and adore the N-1 entry. Once N+1 entry is released you're allowed to talk how great N really was without looking uncool.

But really I always loved Odyssey. In a more hostile places I see a lot of people hate it because it's not a "true AC game" and there's magic and myths and all. Makes me roll my eyes mostly.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I've literally never seen anyone say Odyssey was bad, when it came out every goon was saying "malaka!" constantly

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ilitarist posted:

Cool kids hate the latest entry N in anything and adore the N-1 entry. Once N+1 entry is released you're allowed to talk how great N really was without looking uncool.

And you know, this kinda poo poo really sucks. You're creating a trap by which you have a built in excuse to belittle every single person who has a preference

About a video game

Lol

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Simone Magus posted:

I thought everyone liked Odyssey more than Origins, and it doesn't look like very many people agree with me :confused:

No, there were always people who preferred Origins, though I think they're a minority. Some people really like sand.

I love Valhalla, though it definitely has faults. Hard to decide whether Odyssey or Valhalla is my favourite, I'm going to have to play them a few more times. But I'm hopeful that Valhalla's dlc will be better, at least.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's this very same thread if you'd like to go see how people reacted.

Also I thought this patch was supposed to give you rune sorting

E: swamp sisters still bugged out too >: | There's just all kinds of stuff in the notes that's not in the patch. That whole "pick a node and it will path there for you" also not in here.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 26, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Origins was better because the map was so good. Odyssey is just a giant mess. Valhalla is the same. I like all three but they haven't recaptured the magic of origins.

Cassandra was by far the best protagonist through.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
What's the deal with Mysteries that don't give you any reward? Do they give XP? Like the mushroom gates.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought Vinland was Finland for a while and couldn't understand how nobody knew where it was, or why we were heading west.

It's not? :thunk:

Fake edit: well poo poo, look at that. Yea I thought it was just Legally Distinct Finland

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Zeron posted:

I think you're doing something wrong then. I'm nowhere near 40 hours in and I have 3 different bows, a couple of axes, a 2H axe, a flail, a hammer, a couple of spears and a great sword :shrug:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The flail owns, it shatters shields lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
This isn't a big deal, but it kinda is super convenient:

When holding left on the d pad to Call Horse, just keep holding it and you'll automatically mount up.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

shut up blegum posted:

I think you're doing something wrong then. I'm nowhere near 40 hours in and I have 3 different bows, a couple of axes, a 2H axe, a flail, a hammer, a couple of spears and a great sword :shrug:

Yeah but ideally you'd have one of each from bear, wolf and raven. And if you're not diligently getting every treasure node you could definitely miss them. Like flails are a good example, there's apparently only two in the game, the first one is in Rygafjalke so you could very conceivably miss it (if the thread hadn't told me it existed I would never have got it), in which case you wouldn't get one until Jorvik (which I didn't get to until 50-60 hours in), and there literally isn't one for the third aspect.

I guess aspect isn't really a dealbreaker because stats don't matter and you can pretty much get every node you could want in about 200-250 points so you don't need to have a build plan or anything.

If I didn't read the thread and a bunch of wikis I wouldn't know any of that and I'd feel hard done by that I couldn't make my character the way I want.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've somehow gotten bugged into having permanent fiery arrows. Makes life a lot easier.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m used to the alt controls in Origins and Odyssey and the jump to Valhalla not having that option is wack as hell.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Skeezy posted:

I’m used to the alt controls in Origins and Odyssey and the jump to Valhalla not having that option is wack as hell.

The controls are fully remappable in Options

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

shut up blegum posted:

My problem is that I'm nearly 40 hours in and all I have is Raven gear.

Yea I've got a decent array of weapons, and more shields than I can shake a stick at, but I have so little armor. I am just starting to find my first Bear set with this region I just got to, but like :shrug: I just remind myself all the meager +1 Damage talents later so while it bothers my lizard brain it doesn't actually matter

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 26, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Sometimes it's okay to play a game because it's enjoyable rather than to amass a hoard of gewgaws.

Like I said before, some people are actively turned off by endless loot. AC had two huge looter games in a row, let us have this one :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sure, yea, it just seems weird to make a game that can't decide what it wants to be. Like they're just trying to make something for everyone and it comes out really compromised IMO.

I'm still having fun, but like I said I just have to actively remind myself that despite there being talents they really don't have much impact so therefore I should stop caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
You can still Valkyrie Dive the barred doors. Patch didn't take that out. It also didn't completely remove the 'spam heavy attack while falling to avoid damage' thing, but it's definitely not as effective as it was.

Also, I am typically the last person to give a gently caress about framerates, but quality mode felt like poo poo locked at 30.