Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Big Bidness posted:

This was in an Ubisoft survey I got today. Interesting to see what settings they must at least be considering.

Not sure how they'd do a couple of those settings. At a minimum Hannibal, Alexander, and the Peloponnesian War take place hundreds of years before Origins.

That being said the warring states era in Japan is pretty much perfect for an AC game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Agaragon posted:

My strategy for beating him was somehow accidently setting everything in the vicinity except for Kassandra on fire. I had to keep her still because it was all in a ring around her.

This is just a really good strategy is general

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

What are the rules for gaining merc ranks? The game itself doesn't seem mention anything besides "kill other mercs" but it seems to only do anything after you kill the mercs that are higher rank than you?

Kill people higher rank than you. Every one you beat that is higher than you bumps you up a rank, anyone below is just for fun. When you get to the highest tiers this basically means you have a very small selection of people to kill for any rank benefit.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

dead comedy forums posted:

meeting all the folks at Pericles' house is sure one hell of a way to make me "drat Ubi I would have gladly taken a world one fifth smaller if it meant getting way more talking here", and holy poo poo Alcibiades, Socrates and Sophocles characterization is glorious (for a game, at least)

Meeting Alcibiades the first time made me look up the real guy and he somehow his real life was even crazier than the video game.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

MadDogMike posted:

OK, given we don’t have a lot of historical record there’s no way to be sure, but if the real Socrates was as obnoxious as the game one I can imagine screaming “Chug! Chug!” when the Athenians gave him hemlock :cheeky:. Also what on Earth makes the civilians pick up blades and charge into battle, did you idiots SEE what just happened to that heavily armed mercenary just then who tried it? Must be something in the air there considering how many times the chickens go after my face too.

The only records we have of Socrates were written by other people (Plato is the most famous) because he was against writing. So yeah he was probably incredibly annoying to be around.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The difference is that Kassandra is a free-thinking misthios and everyone else you fight is a brainwashed cultist who cannot be reasoned with. Even the chickens.

My favorite bit of this is when Socrates asks you to judge a horse thief.

"Do you think it's right to take the law into your own hands?" Well gee I dunno but that achievement I got unlocked for setting 1000 people of fire makes me think yes.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

dead comedy forums posted:

Kassandra is an alien demigod, that’s how I rolled with it

Yeah they keep giving you the option to tell people you are a demigod and I can't honestly argue against it

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

esperterra posted:

:same: I miss Desmond

I still want a Desmond finale game where it's all set in modern day using the poo poo he learned in the animus ffs!!!

I really thought this is where they were going with Desmond and then lol nope

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

desmond's bastard son

Sure gently caress it why not.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

drkeiscool posted:

I really hope that some the modern backstory gets retconned eventually, specifically the whole "the Templars engineered all of WWII, including the Holocaust, to usher in a new world order!"

Was the really part of the story? Cause yeah they should change that what the hell

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Lobok posted:

Assassin all the way but before mastery and without level 5 spear you get too many points to do anything but start getting into the other trees. I think my real failing for a long time was not equipping enough +Assassin damage gear and getting too comfortable with open combat that I didn't take enough advantage of all my Assassin skills.

I was unimpressed with assassin skills until I got the complete pirate set and then suddenly it was more power in open combat than a warrior build.

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 9, 2019

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I am really curious what the gently caress they'll do with Denmark since it's pretty much just flat plains with nothing in them. But Hedeby is one of the most important settlements of the whole era so I suppose they could just do it like Vikings and make it look like this

I am by no means an expert on ancient Greece but I don't think it was absolutely covered in temples that rival the acropolis in grandeur and a stone Zeus the size of a skyscraper. The recent games have moved away from the strict historical accuracy of the earlier entries and are better for it.

Also the ? system for the map lets them fill in wilderness with enough interesting stuff. Bandit camps, ruined temples, alpha animals, and the other stuff work well enough.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jippa posted:

I played this game for ages and then stopped for ages. A quick question. I have completely forgotten how to board a boat? I googled it and it said the enemy ship has to be at half health. I never got any option for this, what am I doing wrong?

I managed to kill one cultist by jumping off my boat when I wasn't in combat and the other boat was headed my way but that seems like a waste of time.

You have to actively choose to sink the boat. Get it down to no health and you can board it with Y(on a 360 controller), or just shoot/ram it to sink it.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo I still need to see the AC movie

You really don't

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Slider posted:

I picked up this game today and holy cow it's crushing my pc. I have a 1080ti, 8700k, and playing on a 1440p gsync monitor. I'm avging around 60 FPS on high, does this sound normal? The game does look beautiful, at least compared to all the older games I've been playing on my switch.

I updated my video drivers last week. Any obvious settings I should turn down/off that dont impact peformance too much?

IIRC depth of field eats up a significant chunk of performance. Turn it off completely and you can get a decent boost without any real loss to graphics quality.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Edit: Decided to snag Odyssey while out getting more NyQuil. Time for my first AC title!

Please do not combine these two things.

but if you do please tell us what happens

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean it's a pretty good game, the world is huge but shallow (there's a lot of bullshit radiant quests that are just 'go here, kill X'). They also added in romances but they're all really brief and kinda pointless and the main plot is really meandering and poorly paced, plus they added a lot more heavy sci-fi elements that don't really fit the theme of the series. There's a bunch of new game mechanics that don't really mesh that well either but can be fun to mess around with. The combat is probably the best in the series though and the female VA is great, even if overall the game that came just before it in the series (made by different devs) was a lot tighter and more well-written.

So yeah I would recommend Fallout 4/Assassin's Creed Odyssey :v:

well played

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

What movie references were in Origins? I actually saw the movie, but I barely remember anything about it. The whole thing felt like a fever dream.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Rynoto posted:

An AC game based during the exploits of Ching Shih would be dope. She started as a prostitute, became the leader of the largest pirate fleet in history and was able to rival the power of the Qing, Portuguese, and British navies in their controlled areas. Drop the PC into the timeline trying to work between the pirates and various governments.

Reading that page and she sounds more bad rear end than most video game protagonists. That would be an amazing pick.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

This was the first creed I played and it's pretty fun but gently caress the present-day poo poo

I don't care about any of those people and it fucks up the pacing constantly

Swim into this room, but as some other lady with a bluetooth earpiece

This game had maybe the least present day stuff of any AC game

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

drkeiscool posted:

i'm sorry, but it's me. i'm the rear end in a top hat who actually kind of likes the present day stuff

If they had done the most obvious thing in the world and just given us a modern day Desmond game it might have been worth it

Might

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

littleorv posted:

I’ve started playing this and seeing that there is at least 71 levels is very concerning to me

max level used to be 50, but they upped it to 70, and then 99 (i think) in post release patches

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Namaer posted:

I got a subscription to Uplay+ and played through the main quest of Origins, which was my first AC game. Working on Odyssey now after trying AC1 and bouncing off of it because of extremely janky controls. What's the earliest game in the series that plays somewhat similarly to Origins?

Origins is the start of a "new" type of AC game.

AC2 is the first game that is worth your time, though it's got some parts that will feel dated.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

this game is set in the little ice age which explains a lot of migrations

like yeah the danes and nordges invaded cause poo poo sucked

the nuances of course, arent touched upon in this game

Looking it up it appears this game takes place like at least 400 years before the little ice age. Valhalla takes place in the ninth century and the LIA didn't start until the 13th at the earliest.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Personal_Nirvana posted:

So after I burned out on Odyssey, I'm thinking on trying the others, more traditional AC games (since I've never played them) to kill some free time until Cyberpunk drops. Wich one is considered the best? Is Unity still revilled? Paris looks so gorgeous in that game...but I heard it's still buggy as hell so idk.

AC1 is just not a fun game. AC2 was great at the time, but it is 11 years now and I don't know how much of the design back then would be annoying as poo poo today. Brotherhood was ok, Revelations made me assume the franchise was about to die. I hated AC3. Black Flag is great, but I would not consider a traditional AC game. Its worth it alone just to cruise around the Caribbean, singing shanties and attacking ships with your bros. Unity isn't awful, it was just broken as poo poo on launch. It's ok? Nothing to write home about.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Everyone loves Black Flag but it has its own share of main story missions where you have to slowly follow somebody and get an instant game over on being noticed.

Yeah "boat stealth" was an incredible lol the first time it came up. It was a whole lot less funny when it kept happening later too.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Would they really release a new, France-based game like three months after their France-based DLC came out? I feel like they started staggering the releases a lot more since the 'release two games a year, four comic book tie-ins and one mobile app' model of the old days.

Did they announce Valhalla before all the Odyssey DLC was finished? I genuinely don't know.

No, but there were (what turned out to be extremely accurate) leaks about a viking AC game coming out not too long after the last Odyssey DLC released

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I've never played an rear end rear end in's creed game. Most are on sale at the moment. Just wondering thought on this one and the previous 3?

Odyssey looks like the most interesting to me, but I've heard that it is broken in the middle in order to "encourage" people to buy boosts.

Thanks.

I never bought a single boost, nor was I ever tempted to, the entire time I played odyssey. It's a fun game, but there is just Too Much Stuff to do. If you're the kind of person that has to 100% a game it will drive you mad.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Not sure what I think. Kind of an abomination.

its seriously hard to look at. i had to stop using it after a few minutes. They really should have just said gently caress it and given us an actual chocobo because that thing is the worst of all worlds.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ilitarist posted:

There are also good interesting places that look cool but have nothing to do in them. So it has its highs and lows even before I think about how it's tied to gameplay systems, and in that regard it's a very obvious unrefined first foray into the land of making their own Witcher 3.

Yeah, there is a whole lot about the game world that reminds me of witcher 3. Which is a mixed bag because even though I loved witcher 3 dearly, I also didn't spend any time collecting random smuggler caches that weren't immediately in my way or spend time clearing every bandit camp. If you are a completionist at heart, then Origins might be the beginning of a style of game that does not appeal the same.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Origins is basically Odyssey without the absolutely massive amount of everything. That might make it sound worse, but I think the game benefits from having a narrower focus. That being said, the FF15 tie in chocobo still gives me nightmares.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dick Boat posted:

I took everyones recommendation and played through Origins, completed the entire map and did all the quests.

I enjoyed it very much. Now I want to replay Odyssey.

just fair warning, do not try to clear the entire map in Odyssey. That way lies madness.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jimbot posted:

This thing will probably be silently cancelled because they won't be able to figure out what they want to do.

when has that ever stopped ubisoft

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Is Sengoku era confirmed? Could be different era? Either is ok though.

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1568695332103671813

We know nothing beyond "feudal Japan" and "probably ninjas". Which doesn't narrow things down well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Lollerich posted:

I prefer the male Eivor. A female viking doesn't vibe with me. (I know that it was a thing. This is just my vibe).

I did prefer Kassandra instead of Alexios though. I played the entire game as Kassandra. It just felt right.

Kassandra is the objectively correct choice