Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I started this game recently and I'm confused if maybe I triggered a bug or what.

I did a quest where a guy gave me a clue on a cultist. I didn't "reveal" the cultist at the time because I didn't understand how reveals worked, but I did read the text on the screen that told me he was at a quarry on Saramis. I went back to the menu after and the reveal option was gone, so w/e. I made my own way to the island and went thru ? until I found the quarry. Then I found the guy who obviously owned it and killed his rear end, got a "cultist killed" gold lettering and some loot, BUT the guy is not actually revealed on the cult grid and it says I've killed 2/8 cultists on some quest of mine when actually I've killed 3. That guy and two others.

Did the game gently caress up? Saving and reloading did nothing. Should I load an autosave from the past? Afraid I hosed up the game because none of that makes sense.

edit: HAHA false alarm, this was a DIFFERENT cultist who owned and hung out at a slave quarry. There are more than one. Fuckers own the rock trade, poo poo.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Ah, that's make sense. I'm almost certain I found the quarry that other guy is at, including a nice house at the top of it but it was empty. That's too bad because it's more fun following clues than hitting 'reveal' or triggering hidden conditions.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Some of the main mother quests will give you cultists too. I'm on the chapter after that myself and between doing those quests and reading cultists clues I got my spear upgraded to lv 5 before finishing the third hub. I didn't do the Lost Tales though, I didn't realize they're connected as one story.

This game owns. I liked Origins and still prefer Egypt but the systems in Odyssey make it a significantly better game. I was also concerned open world games would feel a bit of a letdown after RDR2. Game is great though. I like the cultists, I like the mercs, and the main plot isn't awful. I'd be fine with a game of just exploring and collecting clues to take down a cult (while pursued by bounty hunters) though.

One thing I'm concerned about is that at lv 37 or w/e I am, I've already picked up and maxed all the skills I want from the assassin and warriors trees. I'm upgrading my bow skills now but it doesn't really make my core style of 'teleporting assassin' any better. I wish I could invest in assassin skills even further but it's just actives I don't want at this point.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The first two games have a completely different, much darker feel IIRC. In the first game, aren't the templar like the literal templar who orchestrated the crusades? They're real bad dudes in a non-cartoony way.

Series has changed directions multiple times since then, as something that goes on this long has to, but it's interesting to wonder where the original vision would have went.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

You're level 70 after 40 hours? That's insane, did you do the teabag glitch or what? I beat the game, did absolutely everything pre-DLC, and I'm level 53.

Edit: Maybe you bought the XP boost?

Both sets of numbers seem kind of weird to me. I've done one of the two tasks you need to do after reaching Sparta and I'm level 49 with an enormous, frankly overwhelming amount of sidequests left on the map, and like 8 or so cultists. Way more than 4 levels worth of content left. I think I'm around high 30s in hours. Not sure what makes up the discrepancy in XP. I'm playing on hard specced heavily as assassin but the stealth streaks don't seem that high.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Playing on hard wasn't too bad until the late 40s when I stopped getting noticeable upgrades. The lv 50 merc jumped me at 47, and after I killed him it unlocked a whole tier of post-50 dudes that would 1-2 shot me. Fire attacks were the worst.

But I finally hit 50 and moved my points around and used the new masteries and brought the pirate set up to lv 50 and my assassin skills hit so hard I killed both lv 50 arena bosses in one hero rush lol. I might actually assassinate too hard now and should invest in some warrior damage.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

Dude I thought I was crazy so I didnt even post about it but they must have changed his voice actor or something, he sounds really weird in chapter 2.

Haha yeah I just did the 2nd one and it def changes but since he talks so much less in 2, it was hard for me to say for sure too.

Also, oh man, is Nakatas or w/e his name a giant dweeb. gently caress.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Genshin is a fine free game. It’s very grindy after the start and would be a massive disappointment as a paid single player game. I expect a lot more from fenyx rising or w/e it’s called now.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

JustaDamnFool posted:

Yeah, the whole discussion does hinge a lot on personal taste, especially as the series has a whole has been flailing for a coherent throughline or theme since at least the end of 3. They haven't even really nailed down what the genre is supposed to be.

I will say that obviously fantastical stuff has become more forgrounded; Isu tech has gone from the unknowable macguffin that only shows up in the last 3 minutes of the game to a piece of starter equipment.

This is my bigger issue. While I would prefer more grounded history with weird undertones to pure goofball sci-fi, mostly I just want the theme to be coherent and somewhat consistent like the earlier games were.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Deakul posted:

Someone really needs to tell the marketing team that they were trying to NOT portray vikings as bloodthirsty brutes that rape and pillage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyANg9hwQ_s

I've been wondering how the plot is going to handle the protagonists being part of a colonizing force set on destroying the culture of the people they're invading.

Perhaps the answer is: Glorify it! Who cares! They're English!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Earwicker posted:

wasnt that also sort of the case in AC4?

Probably. I can't really remember and I liked AC4 far less than most. My vague impression is the Caribbean was well-colonized before AC4 happens and you're not actually fighting the natives (which is hardly an excuse).

Alhazred posted:

Then again, the people who lived in in England at that time were also part of a colonizing force that were set on destroying the culture of the people they were invading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_settlement_of_Britain

They should get a commercial too.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Earwicker posted:

how is that not the same situation with the Viking invasion of Britain which had already been just as "well-colonized" by Germanic tribes and before them the Romans? the Anglo-Saxons are not natives of England

Nassau was colonized by the British long before Edward (who is British) is born. He's the descendent of the colonizers. The villains are often other colonizers in the area... Spanish, French.

The sameish people were living in Britain for a few hundred years before the Danes launched a concerted war of conquest. In Valhalla, you are playing as one of them and at least some of your enemies are those resisting colonization, given Alfred is the villain.

This isn't some competition of historical atrocity... Caribbean history is far worse. The point is the motivation of the character and people you're playing as seems to be explicitly colonization. I was wondering how they're going to play that. The commercial does not give me high hopes.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

fuf posted:

The Last Kingdom came up before and just for the sake of balance I've gotta say I watched the first few episodes and thought it was really cheesy and terrible

It starts off at its weakest, though it's always somewhat cheesy. My wife and I are bizarrely very invested by this point though.

It does align with the time period Valhalla is set in too.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I generally agree with Destructoid reviews most so I look at theirs first and was disappointed but then surprised to see the overall reviews were very good. It's bizarre-- the Dtoid and PCGamer reviews say opposite things (RPG toned down and choices meaningless vs. RPG built up and agonizing over choices for a full minute).

Even that glowing PCGamer review says this:

quote:

I love that the Norwegian invaders are portrayed as so much more than vicious barbarians, but it also ignores more troubling aspects of that era of history completely. It feels like a wayward extension of Ubisoft's feeble reluctance to admit its games have political messages.

Take raiding, for example. To gather resources to expand my settlement, I have to pillage Christian monasteries dotted along the various riverways of England's different kingdoms. The first few times I did this, it was exhilarating: My soldiers stormed the town, hurling torches onto thatched-roof cottages, slaughtering the guards, breaking windows, shattering pots and crates, and helping me kick down doors to get at more valuable loot. But god help you if you kill an unarmed clergyman, even by accident. Kill too many and it's game over. Burning their entire lives to the ground, however, is totally OK.

I'm not saying Valhalla should gleefully reward you for butchering Christians, but including a hard rule against it feels like Ubisoft intervening just to wag a finger in my face. It's even stranger when I start a quest with a Saxon lord who completely ignores the fact that I pillaged every church in his lands on the way to meet him. It makes raiding feel like a shallow feature clumsily stitched onto the rest of the game rather than something incorporated into and accounted for by the story. Ubisoft could've invented a narrative reason why Eivor doesn't kill innocents or just made priests really good at dodging thrown axes when they're fleeing for the hills. Instead I'm given a warning message that completely pulls me out of the moment.

lol, cmon.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This game has sidequests, it just doesn't call them sidequests or show them in the UI. I was talking to a skald in the starter area but got distracted by my wife and didn't hear what he wanted. So now when I go near him, he says "bring me a beast!" but as far as I can tell, there's no UI reminding me what he actually wants! Can someone please help? I killed some wolves but can't pick up their bodies or anything.

Game looks and feels great on my new xbox.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 11, 2020

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I finally got 3 antlers and I can't find the questgiver in Fornburg anywhere, help!

Did she come with me to England?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

I finally got 3 antlers and I can't find the questgiver in Fornburg anywhere, help!

Did she come with me to England?

Looked on youtube... I found her, I just can't talk to her. Bummer.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I feel like mysteries bug out all the drat time. Some guy was tripping balls and I followed him around until he falls asleep and you need to carry him back. I brought him back and nothing happens.

Of course there's no quest log that would allow me to confirm I am doing this right or even a quest name so I could google... did this happen to anyone else? If I reload his body is still laying in camp with nothing happening.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

zoux posted:

Did you put him in the tent?

No... I tried but it seemed like there's a wooden crossbar so I couldn't get inside, so I threw him in and he bounced off. I guess I'll try to fit him inside again.

Edit: Eivor can’t even fit in the tent without the body am I being trolled

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 13, 2020

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

zoux posted:

Is it the quest where the dude runs off and fights a bunch of people in a bandit camp and you have to protect him

I thought I put him in the tent there, but I distinctly remember that quest and finishing it. Maybe the tent thing is a different quest. What platform are you on?

Ya it’s that quest. I’m on Xbox.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

zoux posted:

Maybe restart idk. I can confirm that just setting the dude on the ground does complete it however.

Restarting did nothing but dying did reset it. This time he had dialogue when I carried him back and there was even text telling me to lie him down so it bugged before that last time.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Overall, I love the change of removing junk loot and making every chest useful in some way. I'm gonna roll up on a monastery or fort or w/e and know I will come away with some combo of new skills, new weapons, settlement materials, and upgrade materials. Big improvement.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I’m enjoying myself— still early but might like it more than Origins/Odyssey. I play these games to fill the maps and the plot of both of the last 2 games was generic/forgettable so I’m fine with a character who is more or less in alignment with my goal of wandering around and exploring. I like how the main plot is serious but the sidequests are all quick goofball poo poo. All that said, I have no idea why Eivor gives a poo poo about the assassins either.

I also find the gameplay tweaks to be for the better. No junk loot, meatier combat, useful loot. Good stuff.

3 games is enough though. They’re gonna have to shake up the formula again for the next one.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I thought it was a neat touch that (ragnarson arc) if you pay the merc for info you can just sneak back and kill her and get your money back... she’s in a good assassinating spot.

Also noticed that flying papers take a different path depending on how you approach.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You could have just walked up to her and stolen it back too. She might be the only person you can pickpocket in the whole game?

Wtf you can pickpocket???

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I’ve had annoying bugs with sidequests getting stuck and also I unlearned the corpse explosion skill because it it kept getting me stuck in the environment.

Then I’ve had funny bugs like fast traveling to my boat except it’s upside down and immediately flips right side up. Same goes for NPC boats that load upside down 30 feet off the water and fall and spin upright.

Does anyone know what the trigger is for shop restocks? Hard to evaluate new weapons until I feed them at least a few levels of ore and leather.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I bought the fishing book. Is it safe to say that if the book says a fish appears in an area, it will appear in any river in that area? Or is the book useless and they only appear in select portions of an area’s rivers?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks to the goon who suggested throwing the shield zealot’s weapon back at her. Easy.

I had to git gud to kill the swamp witch though.

TescoBag posted:

Has anyone played with the higher hardness settings? Do they just turn enemies into damage sponges?

I’m playing on hard. If you try to fight a zealot at too low a level they are damage sponges but regulars enemies are fine and die fairly quick but so do you.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I appreciate this game's commitment to historical accuracy, especially with regards to the fact that everyone in the english countryside was huffing hallucinogens more or less 100% of the time.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I would also say that I like Valhalla more than Odyssey.

I wasn’t sure about the quick side quests at first but I’ve come to enjoy the way they’re distilled down to one good joke/puzzle. Male Eivor VA sells the idea that he’s the type of guy that would talk to whatever random rear end in a top hat he finds stumbling around and then burn down their house/farm/silo/pig poo poo hut.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Assassination damage seems like a pointless stat since the advanced assassination technique is easy to pull off once you understand the timing. I got my first one of those off the axe throw and it was neat to see a slow motion axe to the back of the head insta kill one of the big fat lieutenant guys.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Game needs more dialogue options even if the impact is merely short term. I enjoyed the opportunity to call Sigurd a coward and then punch him in the face.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So I've finished Grantebridge, Ledecester, and East Anglia questlines but am only level 70. Oxford/Asgard/Lunden all say level 90...am I just supposed to grind side-content for 20 levels? What am I supposed to do next?

Go find a woman screaming for eggs in Ledecester...

I wasn’t paying attention to the power levels and did oxenford before east anglia and was fine.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It's a difficult task when writing popular entertainment set in historical eras. A whole lot of people don't want slavery/child abuse/extreme misogyny in their escapist entertainment. It does make it feel cheap though and certainly misleading, especially when they highlight dumb characters like Soma ("this is my city!" really???) or when they portray puppet kings -- who basically betrayed everyone they knew -- as these noble stalwarts. I've been selecting the most brutal options as Eivor and pretending the only authority he cares about is Odin.

I feel like they had opportunities to portray this differently-- the templar plot could have been bad guys on both sides stoking chaos, maybe even as the ones who originally trigger Ragnarr Lothbrok to invade. The protag realizes much of what he as been taught is a lie and works with both english and dane assassins to try to stabilize england and kick out the templars. Who knows, something like that could still happen, I'm almost 30 hours in and feel like I've been playing a ton but apparently the game is twice as long??

edit: I don't want to read the narrative director's spoilers, but he seems to be sidestepping the points the guy made.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This is the buggiest game I’ve ever played. I finished Lunden and every single sidequest except one was bugged. When googling for answers, I felt like I was in one of those discord groups hunting hidden secrets except it was just the regular game. For my last bugged one, I was following an official Ubisoft forum sanctioned workaround of throwing a corpse at a movable crate to make it teleport into position (lmao) when the quest just magically completed and the guy stuck in a building was wandering around outside.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah Lunden hosed up for me too. That mystery you're describing for me was also bugged. When I first visited the warehouse, nobody was in it! then when i came back, all the jars had respawned but the crates were all out of place and some were completely stuck so i just decided this mystery is never getting solved.

That was the only bugged one I came across, but I did not care for the one that was secretly locked behind a quest (which itself was locked behind a settlement upgrade) with no indication of this. I don't know how you're supposed to know unless you google it.

Your second one bugged for me too. The key wouldn’t spawn. I had to break the barred door from the wrong side... useful exploit!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Am I missing something with supplies for Ravensthorpe? I completed all raids but I’m at least 2 or 3 upgrades short from max level. The only way I see to get more supplies is the 100 supply small chests in raid targets... but I’m minimum 2400 supplies away... do I really need to comb through every small chest in the raid areas?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Did you finish all the territories? Because IIRC doing all the raids and territories should let you max out the settlement

Yes, I finished. Got the achievement.

I figured it would net me enough too but I am way off which is why I am wondering if I’m missing something here.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
On the history topic, usually I’m fine with them fudging events but I found the whitewashing of the Danes excessive and dumb. I don’t need detailed depictions of slavery but the way they obfuscate recent history to make the invaders the good guys is unnecessary.

Eimi posted:

Supplies are in chests in settlements, not just monasteries, if that's any help. I had the same issue (though it was just for two buildings), and I just ran around friendly towns picking up what I needed.

This helped, thanks. Seems like it’s 50/50 supplies vs ore/leather, but at least I can just pop from little town to town. Won’t take too long but irritating to have a grind after reaching 100% completion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Wow, I was FOUR buildings behind level 6 settlement when I had all raids done. Pain in the rear end to finish but I'm 100% done now.

The game got progressively buggier as I finished up. It would hard stop regularly (on XSX) which hadn't happened the whole game. I would fast travel and end up in the open sky and fall to my death. The button that opened the map for the whole game started opening the quest log. I had a gradient black bar over the map like a malfunctioning CRTV (but only the map). Weirdest of all, after pumping mastery for many levels, 3 new skills unlocked floating off in space on the tree (pick up body after assassinate, more arrows from enemies, and something else) and I had them for a while and then they disappeared randomly. I had the icon for 3 skill points (not mastery points) that I could never use.

Aside from being buggy as poo poo, the biggest issue with the game is that it is insanely bloated and long. Most of my problems with the game would either be minor or wouldn't exist at all if it wasn't so drat long. Like I thought the combat was fun for a while... then it just became shallow and repetitive from overuse. I would say a consistent problem is character writing -- despite the chief conflict and characters being OK, all the secondary stuff sucks. I don't give a poo poo about anyone in Ravensthorpe and I started skipping dialogue in some of the side arcs about characters from Eivor's childhood I absolutely did not care for.

I really liked some things about the game but it started far stronger than it ended. Odyssey is probably the best of the last three games. I thought Valhalla was better for the first... 30 hours or so.