Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So as someone who has never played AssCreed before, is interested in this for the setting and that it might fill the same kinda niche older Bioware games did, of you being a really gay hero with an interesting cast of characters, is this a good game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

You can definitely be extremely gay, and this game seems p good so far. Interesting cast of characters? Eh...

Turbl posted:

Before this one I only played a little bit of the very first AssCreed and played like every BioWare game and while I'm not far into it at all yet I've found it very easy to get right into and I already love Kassandra. I'm not a big fan of open world games in general either but this hasn't felt too overwhelming to me yet and I'm having fun with it. It very much feels like a BioWare RPG to me except without the companions I guess. I don't know if that'll hold up further in but right now it seems good.
Thanks! Looks like it's worth picking up then. I've bought both recent Bioware games so I can't say it'll be the worst game I've bought in recent memory. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I have considerably enjoyed by time with this game so far at level 20, and yes Kassandra is great.

I do hate how expensive it can get to keep upgrading stuff, but especially when I get legendary gear it feels wrong to just leave it behind. That sort of thing should be cheaper to upgrade. Playing with a mix of assassin and warrior, I feel like I have a lot of tools to deal with stuff and it's fun to sneak around until I get caught and just go ham from there. I do really wish the game had cosmetic armor options though. Like choosing your look separate from your stats. Also we need a shield.

Weapons wise spears and daggers are my favorite. I did awful with a sword, and still do, but daggers seem to have the same weakness of close range, only they are crazy fast and really comboable. And spears are just the most satisfying weapon and properly Greek. My skill load out is the heal (this is loving essential), Sparta Kick for the non lethal option, the long range assassination, and shield break. Heavy attacks and the three adrenaline ultimate attacks fortunately don't take up a spot on your limited loadout.

I'm not the best at boat combat though, are there any essential upgrades to making your ship better able to ram/avoid being rammed I should look out for? I just went for the four lieutenants upgrade first to get as much female crew as I can get.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Have you tried dodging then doing a heavy attack? It's so insanely good for crowd control.

With the spear or sword? It's great with a spear, this massive sweeping arc. I dunno the timing for swords just hasn't clicked with me. Also it's weird that swords and daggers both dual wield. It fits daggers better but yeah.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

mercs don't aggro on you unless you have a bounty, so either pay it or just be careful

also if you kill a nation leader it's an instant three helmet penalty, so uh be aware of that and don't be surprised when three guys pull up on you

Them teleporting in on you is pretty annoying, but three merc fights are some of the most fun poo poo in the game. I do just wish that killing a merc reduced the bar so you're not stuck like that forever.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

That is pretty bad. I also thought it would be ignored like how women were treated in ancient Greece outside of Sparta. (Hint it's not good.) So as a history fan and a woman...it's not great picking any sides in the Athens and Sparta dogfight.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I wish there were cosmetic slots because I wanna run a warrior build but keep the traditional hooded esthetic

The lack of cosmetic options in a single player game really bothers me. I'm like 26 and as much as I'd like to keep using the legendary sword you get early on, the cost to upgrade it is bloody insane. So my new current goal is to just mess around with side stuff until I hit 50 so I can just do one painful upgrade and not have to worry anymore. And then go back to the story.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I've only read the Selincourt and it was very readable, though by doing some digging it sounds like the Waterfield translation is the best. Also as much as I thought Herodotus was a weird choice at first, thinking about it in the AssCreed verse he was probably right about the giant ants.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I haven't found all that many flirty quests yet aside from Odessa and the GMILF. I do wonder if there is anything more with Odessa later on in the game, I liked the little dynamic they had and would be sad if that was it. She's never leaving my crew though.

Also on the Pirate islands, I was able to do the two quests on Cradle of Myths right away, but there are none on Keos, do I have to advance the plot more to get them to show up? Or is it something like the Spartans have to own it?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It does bother me that all these pretty temples and stuff are just filled with assholes to kill. And don't get me wrong, combat is pretty enjoyable. I love the forts with all the enemies there and the bonfire and those are great little combat segments. It does get pretty tiresome when it feels like the meat of the game is go here, kill these people, find next spot to kill people. It also does kinda ruin any feeling of verisimilitude of your character, especially if you pick the nice answers. Like sure Kass has no problem killing people, but in dialogue it seems like she wants to at least have a reason for it. I've been amusing myself in some of the areas by making a goal of being quiet and not going loud, only killing the captain. It's fun but drat do I wish for a crit incapacitate button. Also doing that shortchanges me a lot of the exp from those areas.

On the other hand though, a lot of the sidequests are along the lines of "This person cut in front of me in line, bring me their head." So clearly everyone is a bit murdercrazy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

You can get an all-female bandit crew from a shipwreck near the pirate island (Kreos) if I'm not mistaken.

Silver Islands but yeah, that's the only female crew I've found so far.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I hate that as you go up the merc ranks mercs get timid as hell. Like I can go to three stars, run through Athens and no one comes to take me down. I like my multi merc pile ups.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

sudo rm -rf posted:

so i did the conquest battle for the pirate islands before finishing some of the side quests given to you by xenia's underlings and they just immediately failed / were removed from my questlog when control flipped. are they gone forever? that seems pretty loving broken.

Were you fighting so the Athenians could take it? In my game Athens has it and I have no sidequests there. I'm thinking it might be tied to Spartan control of the islands?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So the storyline of the Silver Island is an unexpected highlight of an already great game, but I have a question, do you ever see Kyra again? I loved the chemistry Kassandra had with her and hate to see no real interaction. Even the send off of you leaving the islands wasn't as good as the big central romance scene.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Unfortunately I think all the island subplots are one and done, unless there's some kind of endgame dance party I don't know about. My deck crew is currently a harem of everyone I've romanced.

Shame! I didn't see an option for Kyra to join the crew. However, I did save a one eyed huntress who took a liking to Barnabus. And she was more than happy to come aboard. It seems that you're not the only one who can romance someone!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ooph the ending to the Beasts of Legend questline. I didn't have it in me to kill Daphne. That's an interesting quest though. Also a bit annoying if you take the fight option she way outlevels you when you could turn it in. At least you get the crew regardless of your choice. What is the reward if you kill her?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Conquest is yeah just bonus exp if you actually are the type of person who clears map objectives. Their main point is to respawn the forts and stuff. You can even fight on the controlling side despite you killing all their poo poo if you want. But they are pretty meaningless overall.

Also Origins sounds pretty cool, but my main problem is I don't really enjoy games where I have to control a guy, especially when it's a really long game. A drat shame because ancient Egypt is one of my favorite cultures and time periods.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Speaking of amazing buildings, the ruined Palace of Knossos is absolutely breath taking and incredible. It really captured the scale of this structure and it's fallen grandeur. Even better with the quest in the area. I was not expecting there to be an actual minotaur after the fake out in Pephka. Do they ever explain how it survived being killed by Theseus? Or why it's corpse just disappears?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 15, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Same. That whole area/quest has probably been my favorite part of the game, which is saying quite a bit. (Actually, Crete in general is amazing.) The Labyrinth in particular is creepy and atmospheric as hell. To answer your spoiler question, I don't know if it's answered later, but I assumed that it's some sort of construct created by a Piece of Eden, since the artifact you pull from it is an Apple. I kind of like that there's enough of an explanation to give you an idea, but not enough that it becomes less mysterious or fantastical.

Ah, I know nothing about the metaplot, so I am as confused as Cassandra is really. I like that the cast reacts to this sci-fi stuff appropriately and it's where the angle of mysticism comes, genuine surprise and shock at 'godly' things. Also the Labyrinth was really cool, though I couldn't follow the string all the way, I kinda got lost and blundered about until I was face to face with the minotaur.

Also Zizek as Sokrates is brilliant. Whoever joked that if only the timelines lined up so that a kid Diogenes could go around dunking on him was spot on.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

You can't accidentally poison yourself but somehow I keep accidentally setting myself on fire.

Is there any kind of fire resistance? Poison is annoying but manageable, but it seems fire will just outright kill you if you don't roll the second it gets applied to you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I vote for ditch the wrapper story and just have historical fiction adventures as your genre. While I love Japan, I think it's a bad time to do a Japan game, given you have stuff like Ghosts of Tsushima coming out soon. I'd love something in Song china, Mughal empire, or Aztec. I don't know how a mongol game would work when it's mostly steppe.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

It's the Mongols. I'd imagine 90% of the game would be spent in the burning ruins of China, Russia, and Persia. :black101:

I guess if they don't have a world map and instead move you from vignette to vignette?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Okay game, you done hosed up. Someone tell me why the spear of Achilles, the greatest Greek warrior, has loving ranged damage and boosts a hunter skill?!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rirse posted:

Meh, I still liked picking the public option for Mongler. Worth it for letting the girls finish him off.

I was tempted to let them finish him off, but he talked poo poo about Myrrine. And no one talks poo poo about Kassandra's mater.

Also while I am tempted to use a figurehead they ruin the cool lines of your trireme? bireme? your ship, and I prefer the look without one. I do wish the various hulls would let you pick the paint scheme and sail separately. The coolest paint scheme I've found is the Chimera one, but I'm not partial to the sail.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Forts at least are rather fun areas and fights with the density of guards. I'd love if there was a better contextualized reason to go in there, maybe have them owned by the Cult or something? Most of the other map icons can kinda be ignored though. The map icons fall away importance for me to do overall, beyond just exploring. I also fell into looking up where the legendaries and cosmetics are so I wouldn't feel the need to do literally everything.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah the recognition of some of the stuff you can do is great.

Also on the Mykonos stuff it was a great surprise and at least so far the best written romance stuff. To the point where I keep trying to find Kyra in the world or see if there is some follow up.

Though that's what I'd like for all the romance bits. I have Odessa on my boat, why can't we have more interactions than that early quest?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Transmogrifier posted:

If you do Lemnos and have recruited Kyra, she may show up. This happened for me with Roxana.

I did not know that you could even recruit her! I got kind of, she's hoping for you to return vibe as she assumes leadership of the island and you do your adventures. So I guess I got a bad end for that quest?

Meanwhile if it's recruited npcs on Lemnos.... Kassandra: *Stares awkwardly at Odessa and Roxana.* (I'd hope it's Odessa because I liked her better.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

sitcom bathysphere posted:

I've held a pretty low opinion of Assassin's Creed games from the get-go, but now I'm 20+ hours into Odyssey and it's...good?
P glad that Ubisoft, in its quest to make an empowered female main character, unwittingly catered to my actual musclewoman fetish.

Kassandra is a lesbian icon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Transmogrifier posted:

I'm not sure if you can recruit Kyra. She got mad at me because I killed her boy toy who got mad at me for banging her so we're not friends anymore. :shrug:

Also for Lemnos, the lieutenant doesn't have to be in an assigned position.

Ah yeah, I kinda....lied about it to her to avoid her getting mad. Though in the romance cutscenes the options I took had her being like, "First I loved him, but now you're here and I don't even want to think about him." So like girl, why would you be mad in the first place, dude came after me. :colbert:

Also it's a joke that they're both active on my ship. I can only imagine the sideeyes. It would be great if there were some way to upgrade lieutenants I agree, I'm not abandoning Odessa!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bike tory posted:

The only correct role play in this game is Xena Warrior Princess before she got cursed by the gods to do good

I tend to pick the good options, unless you insult Kassandra's family in which case it's dead time. Also always flirt with every lady I can.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Having never played an AssCreed game and 77 hours of this one, I love it and it's totally worth the purchase.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Bear is artist? How can that be?
According to googling there's supposed to be a dude in this cave too. But... there isn't. So I can only conclude that the bear was doing the graffiti

Look for some vines hanging down on the cave wall before the bear, there's a little crack you can squeeze through. It's really hard to spot.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The ship combat on normal at least has not made me feel like I need the mercs bonuses to really compete so they remain for me, eye candy. Actually upgrading the thing has been the keys to success, but the ancient tablets are getting scare for me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wish there was cosmetic armor so bad after running around at 50 for a while. The Amazon armor doesn't even look that bad, but I'd prefer some visual variety. Spartan war hero is just too bulky for me and the Immortal set is too out of place. I'm undecided on the set you get at end game, but I don't like its stats as much as the Amazon.

Also why is it the only good looking swords and spears do not buff warrior damage?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bike tory posted:

Question: to what extent will I take down cultists as I follow the main story? Is it basically something I need to pursue separately or can I rely on finding a lot of them as I go through the main quest line?

You find a good handful on the story, I'd say it's about 50/50. It's worth it imo to hunt them down to get the spear to rank 5 asap though, that third rank is really useful.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So having finished the main story and taken down the last cultist, I can finally look at spoilers for that without fear! All in all, a great game that's already sucked up 90 hours of my life and It'll get more when I go back to finish off the sidequests and mythical beasts. It seems I luckily took the right choices that got Deimos to return to being Alexios. It was a really touching moment too, him about to strike Kassandra and she just stands there. And then everyone hugs it out, goes home and has dinner together. The main story ending was great! The last few cultists didn't take that long, but the choice with Aspasia was hard. I actually made a few saves just to see the different options, and my first one I just went with what she said, her reactions to everything. I totally bought her version of things. It didn't help that she's one of the most beautiful women in the game and Kassandra has made it her mission to kiss every lady in Greece. However, I didn't really like her talk of a 'rational empire with one ruler'. So I reloaded and bothered to read every Ghosts whisper to x that the game let's you have. And well...even though they make you kill an unarmed person(again), she drat well deserved that blade through the neck.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I would like to see a slideshow of the major choices, that'd be nice to see all the different branches. Also speaking of watching endings I didn't get, Alexios' VA is so much better than Kassandra's at being evil. She doesn't sound different at all. Also watching people convince Deimos, apparently there are multiple answers you can pick, because I picked different answers than those in the video and it worked. (Thankfully.) Getting the perfect end was a bit underwhelming, but that's more to the presentation of it than the content. If there was more of time passing or the dinner was really really awkward and about them trying to mend the bonds instead of them being fixed immediately, it would be a lot better. Though it does complete the Odyssey parallel.

I also thought the Ghost was too obvious, having read Thucydides before this, there is really only one answer it could have been, so I was expecting a fake out instead of playing it straight.

E: Another ending question: If you kill Deimos, will Myrrine always want to exile you? Even if you don't promise to save him?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 22, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

He is super bishie so I did sleep with him a few times. I was legit surprised how bishie they made him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wow, Lesbos is probably the most disappointing thing in the game for me. All the other islands I've been to have had some great quests, including a long chain usually. They were great. I kinda expected something similar from Lesbos given it the highest level island, and well, it's the land of Sapphic love and as a big dumb lesbian I wanted to visit my people. Instead there is no chain quest on the island. In fact there's only one quest involving lesbians. And it was sad. What a let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

At least you do get to quote some Sappho.