Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

where do i start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Dollhouse
Dec 11, 2004
gorkagorkagorka
i've been loving around with keras for the last month or two. makes it pretty easy to start getting results without caring too much about the math underneath.

you'll need to learn the math eventually though.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

sounds like some fotm bullshit to me op

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Disappointing Dollhouse posted:

i've been loving around with keras for the last month or two. makes it pretty easy to start getting results without caring too much about the math underneath.

you'll need to learn the math eventually though.

I wanna learn the math

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it depends what you mean by these things op. when it was released the game fear was praised for having great AI, but the "AI" was just the A* search algorithm with heuristics. there's some good stuff in the bots thread which might give you some ideas for idiot projects for machine learning w/ neural networks. really the math isn't that bad, but it depends what your goals are or what you're interested in specifically, the words on their own are now meaningless buzzwords

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
go to the tensorflow site and do the tutorial there

https://www.tensorflow.org/get_started/get_started#tensorflow_core_tutorial

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's vector calculus and linear algebra all the way down

the rest is figuring out how to approximate approximations to statistically mostly correct estimators of models that are vaguely inspired by hilariously simple neuroscience garbage

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

good poo poo

nice

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

learn to make better posts first, op

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Skim Milk posted:

learn to make better posts first, op

i'd markov chain your post history but i doubt it'd be an improvement

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qhat posted:

where do i start

https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning here u go

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

qhat posted:

i'd markov chain your post history but i doubt it'd be an improvement

dont schizo-shame

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
gotta start with regular ol human learning

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

yo this is fully sick im watching all of this poo poo right now

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

neural networks are matrices with racism inside

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bloody posted:

neural networks are matrices with racism inside

looking forward to running a clustering algorithm on crime statistics and seeing what it has to say about demographics

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

last night i learned about naive bayes classifiers and how to make a linear regression model while touching up on my linear algebra that i haven't done in over a decade. good website.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qhat posted:

naive boys
keep that poo poo outta the pos

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

keep that poo poo outta the pos

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this is actually pretty cool op

if only i wasnt so lazy though

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
[quote="“Powerful Two-Hander”" post="“475599117”"]
this is actually pretty cool op

if only i wasnt so lazy though
[/quote]

same that’s why i pay money to internet course men and tell all my friends so i can shame myself into doing it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

same that’s why i pay money to internet course men and tell all my friends so i can shame myself into doing it

it's free

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
[quote="“qhat”" post="“475599494”"]
it’s free
[/quote]

i only really did edx courses for stuff and you can pay there if you want to get a shiny linkedin cert, it’s not very expensive

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i only really did edx courses for stuff and you can pay there if you want to get a shiny linkedin cert, it’s not very expensive

LinkedIn certs are worthless and nobody cares about them.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A LinkedIn cert is like the gold sticker the teacher gives the div kid in school because he was able to correctly recite his 2 times tables. Nobody cares about it.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

qhat posted:

LinkedIn certs are worthless and nobody cares about them.

my autism cares

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
just have the machine learn about machine learning for you, op. work smarter, not harder etc

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Read this book, op.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
lol no the book you want is called "deep learning"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'll put the deep in deep learning

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

lol no the book you want is called "deep learning"

I haven't read that one. The one I linked I had done in undergrad. It was a pretty straightforward book in my opinion.
Is it too simple? Is it off wrt real world stuff? I'm genuinely interested.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
yo I want to make a computer vision system that I can teach what <object I need to count> looks like then show it a picture and have it count the number of the objects in it. I've heard about YOLO for things like this but I'm not sure it applies. what should I use?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
op: no you don't

if you waited this long for it to be "cool" then you are just chasing a trend and you're not up for the math

maybe what you actually want is to be able to bullshit sufficiently about these topics to put them on your resume?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
solid advice from the jewkiller

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i did a little genetic thing to find trade routes in Elite Dangerous and it was a good learning thing
also its mostly resume fodder but if someone ever asks about genetic algorithms ill be ready!!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

op: no you don't

if you waited this long for it to be "cool" then you are just chasing a trend and you're not up for the math

maybe what you actually want is to be able to bullshit sufficiently about these topics to put them on your resume?

Nope, I want to do it properly.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
why? what is your motivation for learning this thing? what if i told you that behind all the fancy math, it is mostly horseshit, and people will move on to the next thing within 5 years or so once all the promises don't pan out?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

qhat posted:

where do i start

kraftwerk

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qhat posted:

where do i start

with Lisp, read Norvig

then read Lenat's papers "The Nature of Heuristics," "Theory Formation by Heuristic Search," and "Eurisko: A Program That Learns New Heuristics and Domain Concepts" as well as the papers about RLL-1 which goes a bit into the implementation details, like how the frames were set up

eschaton fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you could also try Understanding Artificial Intelligence

it has some stuff about the TI Explorer in it!

• Locked thread