Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Quicksilver6 posted:

If you skip all the cutscenes and change the voices to another language to avoid dying of second hand shame, this game's kind of fun!

this applies to making HAWX tolerable, yes

AC6 has the problem where half the cutscenes are great and half are awful. The half that are great are the ones where it's in-engine and your plane doing plane stuff. The takeoff from whatever AFB at the start is really nice when it dynamically responds to your chosen plane. The other half ... well, we've already seen that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So one fun thing with AC6. It apparently inspired a whole bunch of really well done music videos using replay footage.

Warning for spoilers on all of these.

https://youtu.be/T0iZ5Zq6nGI
https://youtu.be/Bnzl8Bwwc9M

There were a couple of more I have on my favourites but it turns out they got hit with copyright protection and might not be available for everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzyT8WFIZx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Wux81vUq8

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 22, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
This and AC5 are the only two Ace Combat games I've ever beaten, though I think unlike 5 I never went back and replayed 6. I remember it feeling very rushed, it ended and I was like "...That's it?" Look forwards to seeing how well it's aged.

Willing to take up the mic again if need be, too.

Edit: Also what the hell kind of weak-rear end military can't detect a huge enemy army flying right at their capital?

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 22, 2017

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Psion posted:

this applies to making HAWX tolerable, yes

AC6 has the problem where half the cutscenes are great and half are awful. The half that are great are the ones where it's in-engine and your plane doing plane stuff. The takeoff from whatever AFB at the start is really nice when it dynamically responds to your chosen plane. The other half ... well, we've already seen that.

Hot take: Fake Tom Clancy generic technothriller writing is always preferable to horrible overwrought Anime writing. The script in this game... It's just poo poo. Like, you feel your neurons turning into fecal matter in your brain as it tries and fails to understand who would write this garbage. Only Project Sylpheed was anywhere near as painful.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Quicksilver6 posted:

Hot take: Fake Tom Clancy generic technothriller writing is always preferable to horrible overwrought Anime writing. The script in this game... It's just poo poo. Like, you feel your neurons turning into fecal matter in your brain as it tries and fails to understand who would write this garbage. Only Project Sylpheed was anywhere near as painful.

Definitely definitely disagree. This plot is immensely enjoyable because of how bad the script is. It is 100% of the corn, fat free.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Definitely definitely disagree. This plot is immensely enjoyable because of how bad the script is. It is 100% of the corn, fat free.

I normally like good-bad MST3K worthy writing. Not sure why but this and Sylpheed were Birdemic levels of "I want to enjoy this schlock but I can't"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have returned. Mark my words, I will pay the angel tax again one day. And that day is probably sooner than any of us think.

Anywho, having missed out on AC6 I think AC7 is very likely to melt my brain. The contrails and such are just gorgeous to fly through. It is exactly the kind of bell and/or whistle that just latches onto my brain permanently.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oh right, this was the game that added the [SHOOT NOW, DUMBASS] indicator to the HUD.

It's still unreliable as hell.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Bloody Pom posted:

Oh right, this was the game that added the [SHOOT NOW, DUMBASS] indicator to the HUD.

It's still unreliable as hell.

Nah, the golden trilogy and PSP titles also had it but only in cockpit view. They just didn't turn it into an instakill like 6 does.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The dialogue and cutscenes in this game feel like a Sonic game rather than a hot-blooded and silly robot anime.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

No. I might do it "off camera", but I'm gonna try to show off as much of the roster as possible over the course of the LP, especially because getting those three medals requires going through the game at least three times and with no cheats available to speed matters up.

a bit of a shame because BOY HOWDY DID I LEARN THE HARD WAY ABOUT TRYING TO A-10 EVERYTHING. :downsgun:

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Oh dear.

Are planes we don't have yet spoilers? I want to talk about planes, is this the place to talk about planes?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Aw yeah, another 9 Gear Crow Ace Combat LP!

I like to set aside a chunk of time so I can read aloud the update text.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember when I first played this I legitimately didn't realize it was in the same setting as 4 or 5. I was like 'Wow, they made up a way shittier knock-off Osea and Belka, didn't they?'

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Night10194 posted:

I remember when I first played this I legitimately didn't realize it was in the same setting as 4 or 5. I was like 'Wow, they made up a way shittier knock-off Osea and Belka, didn't they?'

You're thinking Usea, right down to the knockoff Yellow Squadron.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Quicksilver6 posted:

I guess that makes Ace Combat 5, Tom Clancy's Horribly Overwrought Anime Technothriller.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I guess that makes Ace Combat 5, Tom Clancy's Horribly Overwrought Anime Technothriller.

At last, the horrible truth is laid bare.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

AirborneNinja posted:

Oh dear.

Are planes we don't have yet spoilers? I want to talk about planes, is this the place to talk about planes?

I feel like as long as you don't talk about fictional superplanes that we don't already know about, you're in the clear.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

Nah. Ace Combat can't be a Tom Clancy fever dream. Tom Clancy's theses are AMERICA gently caress YEAH! and SHOOTING PEOPLE IS AWESOME!

Ace Combat feels like a manifestation of modern Japan's own schizophrenic attitude towards war and violence.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Cythereal posted:

Nah. Ace Combat can't be a Tom Clancy fever dream. Tom Clancy's theses are AMERICA gently caress YEAH! and SHOOTING PEOPLE IS AWESOME!

Ace Combat feels like a manifestation of modern Japan's own schizophrenic attitude towards war and violence.

On the other hand, Clancy's dogma of "every foreigner ever hates you and wants to kill you" frequently feels fitting to this series.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FunkMonkey posted:

On the other hand, Clancy's dogma of "every foreigner ever hates you and wants to kill you" frequently feels fitting to this series.

I think Clancy's main issue was that the end of the Cold War broke his brain and he spent the rest of his writing career looking for a villain to replace the Soviet Union.

Another reason Ace Combat isn't Japanese Clancy: a superweapon has been on Team Good all of once and it quickly became an enemy.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Thefluffy posted:

a bit of a shame because BOY HOWDY DID I LEARN THE HARD WAY ABOUT TRYING TO A-10 EVERYTHING. :downsgun:

If you're going for the all-attacker medal, just use the Tornado. Hell, the game description itself even tells you it handles like a fighter, and it's right.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

I missed this going up, so I must pay the toll to the golden king and go dance with the angels.

edit for content before I serve my time: Gamescom trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgyqYq80PW0

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

crow should dual-LP this and Sylpheed as a compare/contrast, I agree

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
One of the most beautiful things in this video was watching that naval flotilla in the bay ripple off SAMs. Not only are the missile trails awesome and lingering in this game, but if you keep an eye on the score card on the screen, they're actually killing things! Lots of things.
I mentioned it in one of the previous threads, but I love this game for having actually useful allied forces.

The writing is, of course, balls.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I want to say thank you Crow for editing in the AC:Zero style introductions for the squadrons, those have been cool

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
So I was reading the AC 7 thread and uh:

nine-gear crow posted:

Ghost Eye (the player AWACS) is actually one of my favourite operators in the series.

AGREED Ghost Eye is best AWACS

Don't go to the post as I've not linked the entirety because of spoilers.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Oddly enough, the recent Clancy games actually do things like "acknowledge the moral ambiguity of the protagonists' mission" and "have servicemen discuss the military's checkered past in South America". That may not sound like much, but considering how bad books like Debt of Honor and The Bear and The Dragon were, it's quite incredible. You can hear tom doing crazy ivans in his grave.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Quicksilver6 posted:

Oddly enough, the recent Clancy games actually do things like "acknowledge the moral ambiguity of the protagonists' mission" and "have servicemen discuss the military's checkered past in South America". That may not sound like much, but considering how bad books like Debt of Honor and The Bear and The Dragon were, it's quite incredible. You can hear tom doing crazy ivans in his grave.

I can't believe you left out Clear and Present Danger. That one's even worse.

Edit: My all time favorite postmodern moment in video games has to be from the beginning of the second mission in Battlefield 3: "Bro, America was founded BY terrorists, FOR terrorists."

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

NobleSixFour posted:

I can't believe you left out Clear and Present Danger. That one's even worse.

I'm sorry. I just listed the first two books I could think of. I blame Shamrock.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm sorry. I just listed the first two books I could think of. I blame Shamrock.

Not to mention The Sum Of All Fears, Patriot Games, Cardinal of the Kremlin...holy poo poo, are they just all bad? (Yes, yes they are. Except for Red Storm Rising.)

Also, Crow, there's no way you can convince me that the word Emmeria is anything other than as close as they could get to saying America.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NobleSixFour posted:

Not to mention The Sum Of All Fears, Patriot Games, Cardinal of the Kremlin...holy poo poo, are they just all bad? (Yes, yes they are. Except for Red Storm Rising.)

Eh, I genuinely enjoy early Clancy, especially Red Storm Rising and Hunt for Red October.

At any rate, I'm guessing that mothership we saw in this first mission is the latest iteration of the Hresvelgr? Goddammit, Belka.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Quicksilver6 posted:

I blame Shamrock.

Blaming Shamrock is going to be as time-honored a tradition in this thread as eating 6 hour probations.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Thefluffy posted:

Oh wow that had to be an adventure! I'm fairly sure you could pull it off in some missions that aren't exactly tailored for it, but in others you'd be a flying target with a bunch of FAEB's

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KDavisJr posted:

Oh wow that had to be an adventure! I'm fairly sure you could pull it off in some missions that aren't exactly tailored for it, but in others you'd be a flying target with a bunch of FAEB's

It's doable. The three medals are broken down by type: Attacker, Fighter, and Multirole. So you don't have to stick with the same plane for the whole game, just the same plane type. So that also includes the Tornado and the F-117 Nighthawk. Your best bet for the air-to-air heavy missions of the game is the Nighthawk, just because it's the only one of the three with an air-to-air SP weapon, the QAAM.

EDIT: Also, the minimum difficulty requirement for all medals except the S-Rank ones is Normal, which makes it even easier.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 22, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

NobleSixFour posted:

If you're going for the all-attacker medal, just use the Tornado. Hell, the game description itself even tells you it handles like a fighter, and it's right.

in fact that is EXACTLY what I did! thank god for ECM pods and allied cover.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

NobleSixFour posted:

Also, Crow, there's no way you can convince me that the word Emmeria is anything other than as close as they could get to saying America.

I thought Osea was Strangereal America and Emmeria is Strangereal Switzerland.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

IronSaber posted:

I thought Osea was Strangereal America and Emmeria is Strangereal Switzerland.

emmeria is a demented take on Canada

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thefluffy posted:

emmeria is a demented take on Canada

I don't think Canada had a magic king at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Night10194 posted:

I don't think Canada had a magic king at any point.

but this is STRANGEREAL canada :haw: