Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

VKing posted:

One of the most beautiful things in this video was watching that naval flotilla in the bay ripple off SAMs. Not only are the missile trails awesome and lingering in this game, but if you keep an eye on the score card on the screen, they're actually killing things! Lots of things.
I mentioned it in one of the previous threads, but I love this game for having actually useful allied forces.

The writing is, of course, balls.

Just gonna say this because it's not REALLY spoilers and has already been kinda mentioned.

This game is designed around you NOT killing everything. You will run out of missiles before you complete your objectives. They designed it for a mechanic that will produce LOTS and LOTS of contrails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
It's not a spoiler, though? Crow has already showcased that mechanic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I don't think Canada had a magic king at any point.

We had Sir John A. MacDonald, who once got piss drunk, threw up all over a debate stage and then turned it into an attack against his opponent and won reelection after that. That's kind of like winning wars with a giant empty suit of armour, right?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
yeah I hope they keep what they did with allied forces in this game in 7. Because it isn't fun having to rush to kill poo poo before the allies do and thus possibly screw you out of an S rank like the older games. I have enough of that poo poo in war thunder! :mad:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

nine-gear crow posted:

We had Sir John A. MacDonald, who once got piss drunk, threw up all over a debate stage and then turned it into an attack against his opponent and won reelection after that. That's kind of like winning wars with a giant empty suit of armour, right?

I think that's actually better.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Your best bet for the air-to-air heavy missions of the game is the Nighthawk, just because it's the only one of the three with an air-to-air SP weapon, the QAAM.

Wait what. The attacker that's never ever been used in any air to air role gets the only air to air weapon?

Tornado is best because of swing-wings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AirborneNinja posted:

Wait what. The attacker that's never ever been used in any air to air role gets the only air to air weapon?

Tornado is best because of swing-wings.

Yeah, it's become kind of a meme in Ace Combats. The Nighthawk's had an air-to-air SP weapon option since at least Ace Combat Zero.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, things are definitely looking...rougher compared to the previous games. At least the gameplay looks pretty, in all fairness. I am surprised that your first planes are in fact relatively decent ones (the F-16 and the Mirage) instead of the usual selection of low-tier crap like the Mig-21 and the F-4, however.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, things are definitely looking...rougher compared to the previous games. At least the gameplay looks pretty, in all fairness. I am surprised that your first planes are in fact relatively decent ones (the F-16 and the Mirage) instead of the usual selection of low-tier crap like the Mig-21 and the F-4, however.

well it's a whole new era you know, we can't be flying the same museum pieces every game!
why they dug the F-104 out for 7 I will never understand.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Old planes are cool.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

AirborneNinja posted:

Old planes are cool.

fokker triplane when

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Thefluffy posted:

well it's a whole new era you know, we can't be flying the same museum pieces every game!
why they dug the F-104 out for 7 I will never understand.

hating on the century series is a crime punishable by death

if AC7 dropped a surprise F-106 it'd basically be GOTY of Literally Forever, dethroning the current GOTYOLF, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

gauntlet thrown, Project Aces

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Thefluffy posted:

fokker triplane when

This reminds that Sky Crwalers: Innocent Aces did not have real WW2 planes in it.

Yeah it was also developed by Project Aces.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psion posted:

if AC7 dropped a surprise F-106 it'd basically be GOTY of Literally Forever, dethroning the current GOTYOLF, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

agreed

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Psion posted:

if AC7 dropped a surprise F-106 it'd basically be GOTY of Literally Forever, dethroning the current GOTYOLF, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

Only if it only comes with 1 special weapon - the Genie

And Infinity already has warbirds- Lightning, Spitfire, Zero and 109, plus Snoopy style triplanes. They're actually pretty fun since its all guns all the time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Someone told me to google “go dance with the angels” and, well, here we are. I think they misspelled it.

Anyway, a fun start, good job as usual.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GO DANCE WITH THE ANGELS YOU MOTHERFUUUUUCKERRRRRRRRR!!!!! :doom:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

GO WALTZ WITH THE SERAPHIM YOU MOTHERFUUUUUCKERRRRRRRRR!!!!! :doom:

"Thank you, but this thread has already been reported recently!"

this thread is going down in flames.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

"Thank you, but this thread has already been reported recently!"

this thread is going down in flames.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

I quite enjoy this dance with the mods. Dancing with angels on the other hand...

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The dialogue is worse than Gundam Wing and Gracemeria is a terrible name, but I think most everyone forgets about that as soon as the first mission starts and the missile budget becomes apparent.

It is time we all danced with the angels.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Psion posted:

crow should dual-LP this and Sylpheed as a compare/contrast, I agree

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Psion posted:

crow should dual-LP this and Sylpheed as a compare/contrast, I agree

I mean, it's got angsty teen space ship pilots lead by Mike Tyson. You're not going to get more crazy than that.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
Just stopping in to thank you for LPing all the Strangereal Ace Combat games Crow. The golden trilogy are among my favorite games growing up and to see all the time and effort you've put into these threads is very much appreciated. It's been great finding out all this new information I had no idea existed. This thread in particular should be fun to read with the inclusion of the angel tax and all the probation's it is sure to cause.

VhenRa
Aug 1, 2016

Quicksilver6 posted:

I mean, it's got angsty teen space ship pilots lead by Mike Tyson. You're not going to get more crazy than that.

Honestly... it felt like it was cribbing massive chunks from Gundam SEED.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

crow is this where I post my "all medals" and "complete assault records" achievements so you feel better about the last mission scores for you spelling out the word "rear end"

i'm also going to suggest a stronger blur filter next time, but then I already knew that mission title so maybe that's cheating

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Psion posted:

crow is this where I post my "all medals" and "complete assault records" achievements so you feel better about the last mission scores for you spelling out the word "rear end"

i'm also going to suggest a stronger blur filter next time, but then I already knew that mission title so maybe that's cheating

TBH said mission name is really not a spoiler at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Wrong tab.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

You know, it would be cool if AC7 plops down both old and non-mainline fighters. Like Sea Vixen. Very cool and unusually-looking carrier-based plane.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Question, is the REAF officially the Royal Emmerian Air Force or the Republic of Emmeria Air Force? I know you used Royal in the update, and Emmeria seems to be a ConMon, but there's also the official name of the country being the Republic of Emmeria. Probably just an extrapolation from available information, I guess?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I'm just so excited for this LP

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

:golfclap:

crow, you know you want to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXH-3LwLF5o

crowwwwwwww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSBndEQcUQ

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

While a compare/contrast would be funny just to see which game had the worst cutscenes (it's sylpheed) I wouldn't wish that kind of damage on Crow given what he's already gone through for this LP series.

Plus at least AC6 has the advantage of awesome missile trails and sweeping vistas and city skylines that are constantly exploding. Slypheed has a bunch of targeting reticles and some big blue and red lasers to give you a rough idea of where you are in the empty skybox that is every map except for one mid-game one, so it's not even all that fun to watch :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Anyone mind explaining the weird gimmick of people getting probated for seemingly no reason?

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Anyone mind explaining the weird gimmick of people getting probated for seemingly no reason?

See first post and dangle at all the angles.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

While a compare/contrast would be funny just to see which game had the worst cutscenes (it's sylpheed) I wouldn't wish that kind of damage on Crow given what he's already gone through for this LP series.

Plus at least AC6 has the advantage of awesome missile trails and sweeping vistas and city skylines that are constantly exploding. Slypheed has a bunch of targeting reticles and some big blue and red lasers to give you a rough idea of where you are in the empty skybox that is every map except for one mid-game one, so it's not even all that fun to watch :v:

I do have an Elgato and it wouldn't be hard to get my hands on a copy of Sylpheed...

Unfortunately I have zero experience with video and audio editing. :eng99:

Also the video I sat down and watched of the first mission was already cringe-inducing and man the gameplay did not look great.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

VolticSurge posted:

If you performed a jig above the clouds, metaphorically what would you be doing?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Tactical Training

Tutorial: Operation Towards Revival – September XXth, 2015

Overview: The Emmerian Air Force conducts a series of tactical readiness drills on Keshed Island in preparation for its coming counterattack on the occupying Estovakian forces on the mainland.

Guest Commentator: After successfully dodging commentary duty for Shattered Skies and The Unsung War, my vestigial LP organ Blind Sally returns to help me rationalize why I’m LPing the tutorial missions for Fires of Liberation just to fill space here.

WHY A TUTORIAL?

That is the golden question, isn’t it? Why, after all this time, am I bothering to tackle the tutorial section of Ace Combat 6? Especially because the core control and gameplay mechanics of 6 are same as they’ve been in every post-Electrosphere console Ace Combat, and by definition, this LP series should 1) be a giant tutorial on the game in and of itself, and 2) already have taught you everything you need to know to pick up the game and play it yourself all the way back at the start of Zero.

And yet, we’re here. Because Ace Combat 6 insists we be here. Well, maybe not insist, more like ‘strongly suggests’, I suppose. You can skip over it at any time you like, or come back to it on your own at any time as well, but 6’s tutorial section is the only one in the franchise (thus far) that goes out of its way to make itself known to you. The other games’ tutorial suites are usually buried in sub menus away from the main campaign menu we’re seeing brief glimpses at between the actual gameplay bits in the LP.

And I understand why Fires of Liberation does this, puts the whole game on hold between Mission 1 and Mission 2 and goes “hold on there, sport, let me just get a few things straight with you first”. As I mentioned in the OP, 6 was the first Ace Combat game to debut on the Xbox 360 and was a 360 exclusive, and for many Xbox owners who had never owned anything but Microsoft consoles, this would be their first brush with the franchise, which had been exclusive to Sony systems up till now. And as we’ve learned over the course of this LP, Project ACES may have a penchant for laughable and lovely melodrama in their stories, but as a developer they are very forward-thinking, detail oriented, and player focused. So of course they would include a semi-mandatory tutorial segment in what they knew from the start was going to be a lot of peoples Babby’s First Ace Combat because a lot of people came into this game having no expectations of how it played beyond maybe looking at the manual briefly.

The tutorial interrupt only happens on a straight new game play through. Starting a New SP Game will take you right from Mission 1 into Mission 2 without the tutorial prompt because the game assumes that if you’ve beaten it the first time; you probably don’t need to learn how to play it any more.

So, if you actually are interested in learning how to play Ace Combat games vicariously through this LP then by all means pay attention to the instructional cards that pop up in the video which Sally and I generally ignore in favour of talking about other topics. The button prompts can be translated backwards or forwards onto the PlayStation 1, 2, 3 or 4 and/or Xbox One controller or applicable Xbox 360-aping PC gamepad so that you can play Skies Unknown, Infinity, Assault Horizon, The Unsung War, Shattered Skies, Electrophere, Ace Combat 2, and if you really and to torture yourself, Air Combat based off of what you pick up here in Fires of Liberation.

The handheld games like Skies of Deception, Assault Horizon Legacy and Joint Assault are special cases due to the PlayStation Portable and Nintendo 3DS’s single-thumb stick control schemes and lack of R2/L2 trigger buttons, but the base principle still holds. I might do a brief “How the gently caress Do You Play This?” segment when we get to X, but I’m not promising anything.

Really, the tutorial for Ace Combat 6 is in fact worth it once you get to the meatier later sections of it which introduce the new mechanics central to its gameplay such as Operations, ECM, In-Field Resupply, and the High-G Turn.

So this should hopefully put to rest any nagging yearnings from the like one person out there somewhere who hypothetically wanted me to cover at least one game’s tutorial mode and has been denied the satisfaction of seeing it until now.

Never say that I’m not thorough.

Tracks featured in the Tutorial:

DISC 1

After one round of dancing, our standing are:

• Blind Sally – 2
  • Jobbo_Fett – 2
  • Back Hack– 1
  • Atomikus – 1
  • Son Ryo – 1
  • Shinjobi – 1
  • GhostStalker – 1
  • Rorahusky – 1
  • Akujiki – 1
  • Captain Hygiene – 1
  • Pythonicus – 1
  • Psycho Landlord – 1
  • Strayed – 1
  • nine-gear crow – 1

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Go forward I hope we end up seeing less and less people having to worry about falling into the trap of getting probated, it was funny at first but now I think we've crossed a line. Dance we do is kind of immature and childish, it's only going land us in trouble if we continue down this path. With those few that are listening, I implore you to stop. The end result to all this can only end with bans being distributed to a large number of people who don't deserve it. Angels tax should be respected, we shouldn't temp fate and push our luck with the moderators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

A for effort fella.