Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I'm like the Razgriz, Mega64. You can only put me away for so long before I'm back at it again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

No one's ever going to talk about this game because we'll be too busy Dancing with the Angels, so I guess I will attempt to create meaningful discussion.

Hot take: the tank dudes are the real heroes of AC6.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

You mean those assholes who are always crying for my help because god help them if a sky god isn't personally intervening in every single engagement.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That's true of the air units as well though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

AirborneNinja posted:

You mean those assholes who are always crying for my help because god help them if a sky god isn't personally intervening in every single engagement.

Do you see the layers of absolute bullshit they have to get through despite having guns that do no damage

Also who the gently caress deploys an outnumbered group of tanks into a giant field that you don't have SAMS or the fighters to cover when there's attack helicopters buzzing around

Emmerian Command are the real villains here

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Psycho Landlord posted:

Do you see the layers of absolute bullshit they have to get through despite having guns that do no damage

Also who the gently caress deploys an outnumbered group of tanks into a giant field that you don't have SAMS or the fighters to cover when there's attack helicopters buzzing around

Emmerian Command
literally everyone but the air force, and sometimes even the air force are the real villains here

Fixed for you

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I believe in Belka.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
An idea: make me IK of LP so i can probate all these Angel Tax dodging jerks

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blind Sally posted:

You surrendered your power long ago, now you come crawling to take it back? Go dance with angels, friend.

EDIT: It would be worth it for LP of all subforums to have an IK. Like, the very idea is amusing as hell to me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Blind Sally posted:

not even Dash Rendar could live up to the sheer responsibility of LP IK

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

These dirty dodgers dancing around the angel tax.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The true hero of Ace Combat 6 is Ghost Eye.

Also please re-mod Blind Sally. Thank you.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Landlord posted:

Emmerian Command are the real villains here

i agree

nine-gear crow posted:

I also agree

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nine-gear crow posted:

The more I think about that the more it actually makes sense. Out of anyone in this game, Ghost Eye by far gets the most character depth and such.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Judging by the sheer volume of SAM fire they put up in the first mission, I'd also suggest the Emmerian navy.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Out of curiosity, Crow, are you going to be showing off the Ace of Aces missions?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I can't help but wonder, the prior games have had a kind of implication that the main character is the demon Razgriz, always appearing at the start of war and always disappearing mysteriously afterwards: now, however, people are calling the pilots angels instead, which is a really weird flip that hasn't been justified in the least.

Thinking things through, it isn't like the morality is completely different from before: the Emmerians are a desperate people who got seriously hosed over by a giant space rock (obviously not their fault), so it isn't like there's some awesome glory in killing them, like their might have been in the Belkan War before Belka got bombed all to hell. So what is it that's separating the angels from the demons? Being Canadian?

Is THAT this game's message: being a pilot from some knock off brand Canada/Sweden hybrid absolves you of sin?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

AirborneNinja posted:

That's pretty much Every Ace Combat Ever though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Out of curiosity, Crow, are you going to be showing off the Ace of Aces missions?

Unfortunately no. At least no myself, anyway. I never downloaded them and with the AC6 DLC catalogue getting microwaved by Namco, I can't download them myself any more to show them off. I'd asked TyrantSabre about it when we recorded the other week and while he was open to it, sadly when he checked his Xbox he had deleted all the DLC, so that option's out too.

If anyone else is playing along with the LP or has the DLC and the ability to record it, I'd welcome their efforts if they wanted to try it, otherwise it'll just be something that's gonna have to go uncovered.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Regarding the canon planes of Talisman and Shamrock, I actually think that Talisman's plane is the F-15E and Shamrock's the F-16. The covers for the US, UK, and Japanese versions all feature the F-15E, and Talisman's paint scheme is, as far as I know, only available for the F-15E in Infinity. When playing the first mission of the campaign, Shamrock actually is locked to the F-16, which implies that his canon plane is the Falcon.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

nine-gear crow posted:

Unfortunately no. At least no myself, anyway. I never downloaded them and with the AC6 DLC catalogue getting microwaved by Namco, I can't download them myself any more to show them off. I'd asked TyrantSabre about it when we recorded the other week and while he was open to it, sadly when he checked his Xbox he had deleted all the DLC, so that option's out too.

If anyone else is playing along with the LP or has the DLC and the ability to record it, I'd welcome their efforts if they wanted to try it, otherwise it'll just be something that's gonna have to go uncovered.

Wow, you can't even re-download DLC you already paid for? That's hosed up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ninjahedgehog posted:

Wow, you can't even re-download DLC you already paid for? That's hosed up.

It's been years since I messed around with this but I think you actually can, it's just not intuitive. Basically, instead of going through the Xbox marketplace on the console, you have to log into your Live account on Microsoft's website. If I'm remembering this correctly, you can review all past Marketplace purchases from the website, and then schedule them to be re-downloaded onto your console, even if they're not available in the store. With that said though, I only did this once or twice, and this was probably at least 7-8 years ago, way before the Xbox One came out, so I have no idea if it's even still possible. Worth a shot though, or at least a call to Microsoft Support.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

I would dispute that but SPOILERS

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Thefluffy posted:

I would dispute that but SPOILERS

Geez guys. We haven't even MET the game's true hero (Snake Pit, the tactical AWACS who will cheerfully follow you into a dogfight with his unique, camo-painted E-767 to maintain ECM coverage) yet.

Fake edit: I'm pretty sure that spoiler isn't relevant to anything of any importance to the game's plot, but if you're REALLY keen on only discovering the heroes of the Royal Canadian-Italian Emmerian Air Force as Crow reveals them, you should probably steer clear of it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Someday I hope my wish comes true, a night on the town with Kurt Angle and his brother. Pick a posh place and just go to town, you know?

Are you talking a nice dinner with the Angles?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Realbarrow posted:

Geez guys. We haven't even MET the game's true hero REDACTED

Fake edit: I'm pretty sure that spoiler isn't relevant to anything of any importance to the game's plot, but if you're REALLY keen on only discovering the heroes of the Royal Canadian-Italian Emmerian Air Force as Crow reveals them, you should probably steer clear of it.

GOOD! someone with taste! shame about your possible non-angel related time out. you should have danced instead!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's been years since I messed around with this but I think you actually can, it's just not intuitive. Basically, instead of going through the Xbox marketplace on the console, you have to log into your Live account on Microsoft's website. If I'm remembering this correctly, you can review all past Marketplace purchases from the website, and then schedule them to be re-downloaded onto your console, even if they're not available in the store. With that said though, I only did this once or twice, and this was probably at least 7-8 years ago, way before the Xbox One came out, so I have no idea if it's even still possible. Worth a shot though, or at least a call to Microsoft Support.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/store/view-download-history

This seems to support the idea. Worth a try.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

thetruegentleman posted:

I can't help but wonder, the prior games have had a kind of implication that the main character is the demon Razgriz, always appearing at the start of war and always disappearing mysteriously afterwards

Do they? Mobius at least comes back around for the AC5 arcade missions which are... sorta canon? So he doesn't IMMEDIATELY disappear as soon as AC4 is over. Not for a year or two at least.

At the least this holds up for AC5 and Zero. AC5 pretty obviously, and in Zero you're going by the name Demon Lord at the end, so...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Minrad posted:

Do they? Mobius at least comes back around for the AC5 arcade missions which are... sorta canon? So he doesn't IMMEDIATELY disappear as soon as AC4 is over. Not for a year or two at least.

At the least this holds up for AC5 and Zero. AC5 pretty obviously, and in Zero you're going by the name Demon Lord at the end, so...

Mobius 1 appears in a lot of Ace Combat games (usually as a badass enemy), so we can't really put much stock in stuff involving him; besides, if Mobius were still around, Ace Combat 7 would have to do something with him, which seems like the kind of thing that would be hinted at.

Also, I can't help but wonder why the hell people think "Go dance with the angels" is an insult: at best, it sounds like a super-polite way to tell someone to go die, at worst, it just sounds like telling someone to party with whores or buy cocaine. Wasn't it a term of affection in the first place? Why didn't that bitch search the tank for any survivors? Why the hell didn't she head towards the airforce base to find her husband? Who the hell even IS here husband? This writing is beyond terrible.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

thetruegentleman posted:

Mobius 1 appears in a lot of Ace Combat games (usually as a badass enemy), so we can't really put much stock in stuff involving him; besides, if Mobius were still around, Ace Combat 7 would have to do something with him, which seems like the kind of thing that would be hinted at.

Also, I can't help but wonder why the hell people think "Go dance with the angels" is an insult: at best, it sounds like a super-polite way to tell someone to go die, at worst, it just sounds like telling someone to party with whores or buy cocaine. Wasn't it a term of affection in the first place? Why didn't that bitch search the tank for any survivors? Why the hell didn't she head towards the airforce base to find her husband? Who the hell even IS here husband? This writing is beyond terrible.

Later in the game it's used in some contexts as a pejorative that could easily be replaced with "Go gently caress yourself"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

thetruegentleman posted:

Not to defend it, because it really does just sound tacky as gently caress, but I always took it as meaning "go die" in an exceedingly polite way. Is it just a case of bad translation or do they use the same phrase in the original Japanese language?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Minrad posted:

Not to defend it, because it really does just sound tacky as gently caress, but I always took it as meaning "go die" in an exceedingly polite way. Is it just a case of bad translation or do they use the same phrase in the original Japanese language?

the Japanese are a very polite people :japan:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Telling someone to go get themselves killed seems pretty rude.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I felt that it was sort of a passive-aggressive "fine, go do that thing you do, I don't care" but maybe in a semi-affectionate teasing way? I mean the lady was saying it to her husband. It's very good at either of those things or as an insult, but :japan:

e; Also it was popularized by a small child, who aren't the greatest at coming up with insults. How it caught on I have no idea but that's video games for you.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 30, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Grizzwold posted:

I felt that it was sort of a passive-aggressive "fine, go do that thing you do, I don't care" but maybe in a semi-affectionate teasing way? I mean the lady was saying it to her husband. It's very good at either of those things or as an insult, but :japan:

e; Also it was popularized by a small child, who aren't the greatest at coming up with insults. How it caught on I have no idea but that's video games for you.

because japan loves little girls. :pedo:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thefluffy posted:

because japan loves little girls. :pedo:

Can we maybe not, please? Thanks. :manning:

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Grizzwold posted:

I feel like the fleeing members of what was left of the Emmerian military heard this kid on the radio not only tell an Estovakian propaganda man to gently caress off, but also kicked him in the shins and escaped, and went, "huh, that kid has some chutzpah, and we should really do what she's doing." My impression was that he whole "dance with the angels" retort was a great big middle finger to the Estovakians that Emmeria was not down, but would fight them however they could, and consequently came to represent that whole attitude to the Emmerians. Lord knows that memes became popular for stupider reasons.

Now if only they stopped using it every 10 seconds...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bingsu posted:

I feel like the fleeing members of what was left of the Emmerian military heard this kid on the radio not only tell an Estovakian propaganda man to gently caress off, but also kicked him in the shins and escaped, and went, "huh, that kid has some chutzpah, and we should really do what she's doing." My impression was that he whole "dance with the angels" retort was a great big middle finger to the Estovakians that Emmeria was not down, but would fight them however they could, and consequently came to represent that whole attitude to the Emmerians. Lord knows that memes became popular for stupider reasons.

Now if only they stopped using it every 10 seconds...

God help Emmeria (or Estovakia) is they ever hear of covfefe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

God help Emmeria (or Estovakia) is they ever hear of covfefe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Go dance with the angels is totally the StrangerealCanadian equivalent of "Go play in traffic." I don't know how there's debate over that.

EDIT: Still evadin taxes btw