Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I'm not about to go say that Nagase in 5, or the voice overs in AC Zero, or even the grown-up kid in 4 are great narrators reading some excellent writing but that is some peak mid-2000's JRPG-attract-sequence bad narration and writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't believe the whole thread got probated.

They were no angels.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Quicksilver6 posted:

Hot take: Fake Tom Clancy generic technothriller writing is always preferable to horrible overwrought Anime writing. The script in this game... It's just poo poo. Like, you feel your neurons turning into fecal matter in your brain as it tries and fails to understand who would write this garbage. Only Project Sylpheed was anywhere near as painful.

I guess that makes Ace Combat 5, Tom Clancy's Horribly Overwrought Anime Technothriller.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is a pretty good song but the Hangar themes from the PS2 games had theme, you know? You could listen to just the music and get an idea of what was going on.

Also holy god I cannot bring myself to care an iota about the narrator. Slightly bland narration is one thing, see AC04, but this is like a checklist of everything you're not supposed to do.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Snake Pit best AWACS? He'd dance through the angels fighting erryday.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

To make any final call I'd need to hear his singing voice.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I'm happy to know what I missed in 6 I guess, even if it wasn't much, so thanks for the LP. Maybe I'm just weird but I actually enjoy 5's multiple unique gimmicks and I think I'd have thought 6's endless "kill all the ground targets" missions would have been a massive downgrade even with something like 4's minimalist plot attached.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Minrad posted:

Happy Ten Year anniversary, Ace Combat 6

I hope we don't have to wait 10 years for ace combat 8!

Guess that depends on if Bandai-Namco were right when they thought Ace Combat needed a Call of Duty-ing to grow sale numbers or if maybe AC6 didn't do as well as they would have liked because it was an exclusive on a console and brand it never had a title on before.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What Assault Horizon showed me is that while the basic gameplay of Ace Combat is competent it actually really does need those simple-yet-over exaggerated narrative/character beats to be effective. Unlike in AC4 (Airplane Jesus, the perhaps disturbing sentiment of "good people on both sides"), AC5 (Overwrought myth parables, horrors of war and prejudice), or AC0 (What will a person fight for, why, and what does that cost) there's nothing in AH to sink your teeth into unless you really, really like the dogfight mode. Even if AC6 injected way too much of what I would consider the incredibly "annoying" traits of your standard Japanese characters and seemed like it suffered a lot of cuts it still at least is trying to say something.

Also you wouldn't need a joystick because there is nothing simulation about any Ace Combat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bingsu posted:

After Osean and Yuktobanian forces stormed Grunder Industries in the Battle of Sudentor, they found the files where the South Belka Munitions Factory had stored their data on the ADFX-02 Morgan. The scientists had used the Black Box data of Larry Foulke to help build the AI of the Z.O.E. Project. Within these files, the last argument between the Demon Lord and Solo Wing Pixy was revealed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFfNoBvusQ

...why does that work

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Slightly controversial opinion. Zero is fantastic, amazing, and I will occasionally listen to it in my car like the giant nerd I am. I still like Unsung War a tiiiiiny bit better. Zero is great song to just sit there and listen to and a terrific boss theme but, taken solely on how I feel the pieces fit into the game, Unsung War feels like an amazing and bombastic crescendo to both the war and mysticism that went on in AC5 and that impact elevates just ever so slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HereticMIND posted:

From what I’ve played of AH it’s actually solid mechanics wise; DFM was poorly implemented is all. Still good for some dumb fun.

Most of its base mechanics are fine but it turns out that the base mechanics of Ace Combat can actually be pretty boring when you aren't dodging moon lasers and flying down giant gun barrels and doing all the good parts of anime excess.