Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The dialogue and cutscenes in this game feel like a Sonic game rather than a hot-blooded and silly robot anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember when I first played this I legitimately didn't realize it was in the same setting as 4 or 5. I was like 'Wow, they made up a way shittier knock-off Osea and Belka, didn't they?'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thefluffy posted:

emmeria is a demented take on Canada

I don't think Canada had a magic king at any point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

nine-gear crow posted:

We had Sir John A. MacDonald, who once got piss drunk, threw up all over a debate stage and then turned it into an attack against his opponent and won reelection after that. That's kind of like winning wars with a giant empty suit of armour, right?

I think that's actually better.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psion posted:

I get you. I don't think we're disagreeing, really. I called 'em bargain bin Yellows because you're right about how 04 actually takes the time to build up the Yellows and 6 just throws yellow Sukhois at you and says "hey, remember this, series fans?" without earning it. So of course it falls flat. It's the appearance without the substance - but it's definitely, deliberately meant to be the appearance of Yellow they're copying.

Which is really the general problem with the entire plot. "Hey don't this remind you of X or pull your heartstrings despite being done with no build up or grace" is all of AC6's plot, and the answer is pretty universally 'Nope'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dr. Snark posted:

Like I said in the video, that's probably millions of *insert currency here* worth of damage between the destruction of the rigs and the gallons of lost oil, all during an operation to retake said oil field, and that's before you factor in environmental damage like other posters pointed out.

What the gently caress, Talisman.

Maybe if these air forces didn't all make you pay for your own planes and pay based on targets destroyed this wouldn't happen.

Emmeria is another victim of Area 88.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kind of think your allies being so effective helps add to one of the big reasons this game sucks: The Estovakians never, ever feel like a threat, not even remotely. When your mooks are cleaning up their mooks or getting sicked on and dogpiling their 'ace' Strigons, it just adds to how one-sided and boring the missions feel.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Still waiting to see how Dash Rendar gets shoehorned into this.

Who do you think Shamrock is

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like that the game is so incredibly boring that the main activity in the thread is getting probated.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's really good that AC6 has at least one really awesome mission.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How is Pixy anyone's favorite?

He's the incoherent 'I WILL NUKE WORLD FOR PEACE AND NO BORDERS' anime stock villain.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really, learning Pixy is Belkan DOES make everything he does make sense. Idiotic and incoherent mass-murder is like the cornerstone of their cultural identity.

It also explains where he found the Morgan. Superweapons just naturally occur in the presence of Belkans.

E: Of course, thinking about it? I guess 'generic anime villain' really is the standout among the wingmen. I guess I never noticed how much your wingmen kind of suck.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 23, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thefluffy posted:

now I wonder what will be the fatal flaw of 7 then. :iiam:

Magical princess cannon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dr. Snark posted:

See, that needs some clarification. Are we in fact talking about a magical cannon powered by a princess or a cannon wielded by a magical princess (that may or may not also be magic)?

Because those would be two very different things to complain about.

I am talking about a cannon whereby we fire the princess out of it and into humankind's collective unconscious so her desire for peace can bring an end to all war forever.

Supreme Commander's Aeon Campaign had the funniest ending ever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rorahusky posted:

Erg, now I see why Shamrock is considered the worst wingman in the franchise. PJ was an annoying git, but at least he never hosed up so hardcore with any incredibly derpy 'I FINALLY GET TO GO HOME :v:' routine that he got you in complete poo poo with the brass. What the hell did you think was gonna happen Shamrock? You'd shoot down Strigon team for the Umpteenth time and the Estovakians would just slump their shoulders in shame and slink back to their own borders?

In fairness that's been kind of the progress of the war so far. Estovakia has been getting poo poo on furiously from a great height without a single success and is now desperately taking hostages to stop the angry Canadian monster they unleashed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Nah, Gracemeria can't be Canada. This is a very Japanese game, if this was Canada there would have been a moose, a beaver, and/or Mounties involved by now.

It loves warcrimes when stirred to battle despite being gentle and pleasant most of the time.

It's totally Canada.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thankfully, Estovakians are completely incapable of politeness, the one thing that could protect them now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thefluffy posted:

keep in mind that these horrible little flamethrower tractor things are Canadian units https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mznmPiXlQ4s&feature=youtu.be&t=1125

I remember the one Canadian fighter ace who they had to stop having give propaganda speeches because they were mostly about 'Man I loving loved killing people, that was the good bit.'

Cypher was probably Emmerian.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I don't remember a lot about how the bible treated angels beyond that it seemed to always be confusing and open to interpretation.

Fun fact: In Ezekiel, when he is describing all the crazy things as 'like' a flaming wheel of eyes, that's because he's saying 'I do not have words in this limited human language, so this is as close as I can get, poo poo is crazy'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A key to understanding biblical angels is that they are simply on a level of existence above man (though below God). In ANY contest between man and angel, the angel would win. The same is true of demons, who were evil immortal spirits that could only be overcome by the intercession of God since no human force could ever challenge something on a higher level.

In other words, if man danced with an angel, according to the original biblical interpretation, he would be utterly shamed or even destroyed, depending on context.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Taking away Allied Cover and throwing dozens of enemies at you, then bringing it back and having all your buddies do poo poo? That's the kind of stuff this game should've been doing all this time.

E: Also, those loving contrails. That sky full of missiles.

It isn't that the anime melodrama is bad for being anime melodrama, it's bad because like they said, absolutely nothing is *earned*. There's no buildup and no sense of tone at all.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 29, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This mission didn't feel especially different from any other mission in the game except for the weirdo villain you'd never fought before at the end.

Every single mission in AC6 just feels like 'Eh, do some air to ground stuff, beat Estovakia, done.' except the crazy flying carrier one and a few better moments.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I played AC6. I hated it when I played it because every mission felt like dull, samey operations without much of a hook to keep it interesting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No seriously Zero is so good that if Zero was literally the only good part of AC0, it would justify the game existing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, Shamrock would be dead, which is really just a positive all around.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rorahusky posted:

We in the Gundam community like to call that 'Pulling a Nena Trinity', named after the bitch from 00 who shot up a wedding for the lulz cause she was angry about having to do actual work that day in her giant robot.

Man if I had a giant robot I would be jazzed every single time someone asked me to go do work in it. "Hey man, go use the giant robot." would not be a sign of a bad day.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kibayasu posted:

Well I'm happy to know what I missed in 6 I guess, even if it wasn't much, so thanks for the LP. Maybe I'm just weird but I actually enjoy 5's multiple unique gimmicks and I think I'd have thought 6's endless "kill all the ground targets" missions would have been a massive downgrade even with something like 4's minimalist plot attached.

I found 6 really dull to play, too, so you're not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ratoslov posted:

Zero makes anything sound awesome.

It's true. Zero is an absolute masterpiece.

If Zero was the only good thing to come out of AC0 the game would be worth it for that alone.