Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
:getin:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
immunity

head of household

power of veto

DANCE HYPE

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

peramene posted:

immunity

head of household

power of veto

DANCE HYPE

You can't dance, you're in the hospital with me.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Deena and grandicap sitting in the hospital
K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Radio! posted:

Deena and grandicap sitting in the hospital
K-I-S-S-I-N-G

We're 10!!!

We're holding hands.

Kissing is how you get cooties.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Grandicap posted:

We're 10!!!

We're holding hands.

Kissing is how you get cooties.

You thought about kissing though so your soul already has cooties.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you kiss boys in 2007

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought we were 12

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Gryffindor! Gryffindor! Gryffindor!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Thankyou everyone for participating! end of year results were:
Slytherin won the House Dance!
Ravenclaw won Dux and House Examiner
I gave out a bunch of points arbitrarily that didn't affect anything

end of year results were:
Gryffindor: 745 Points and winners of the House Cup!
Slytherin: 740 Points and honourable second place!
Ravenclaw: 700 Points, just a smidgen behind in third!
Hufflepuff: 525 Points, but by golly did they try hard for fourth!

I'll post an epilogue later, and then some thoughts about what worked/didn't work for the game

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Congratulations to Gryffindor, and to Professeur Burgundy! A well-earned victory!

But it doesn't change that I'm the most popular girl in school, and the best dancer, so I think we all know who the real winner is here. :smug:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Holy poo poo we won???? By 5 points? Daaaaaaaamn!

This was great, busb, can you run one in summer so I can role play 24/7 cause I 100% would.

And thanks to my Gryffindor bros for always talking me off ledges, we were the best house~

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Rigged! The results were rigged!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome :)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Célestine was a delightful dance partner.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Congratulations to Gryffindor, and to Professeur Burgundy! A well-earned victory!

But it doesn't change that I'm the most popular girl in school, and the best dancer, so I think we all know who the real winner is here. :smug:

Ooh I call dibs on "trusty sidekick"! :evergreen_tree:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

How did the dance work, I missed it

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

How did the dance work, I missed it

Basically a Genius final challenge, it's all in #the-great-hall if you wanna scroll up. There were two rounds - first round was two rounds (yes I know work with me here) of the Countdown word game that eliminated 2/4 players, and then the final round was best of 7 rounds (blame busb) of a modified version of RPS.

It was SUPER DRAMATIC and I highly recommend reading it if you missed it in the moment! Busb, if you see this, can you please pin a post in that channel around the start of the dance? That'll help people who want to read it from having to deal with Discord's funky scrolling.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I would definitely like to check it out. I won't be back home until Monday afternoon so a pin would be lovely~

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Still waiting for that epilogue, busb!

Here's a quick outline of my feedback on professors - this came up here and there in postgame chat, but I wanted it all written down in one spot:
  • Professors had very little to do in the early game in general, and were very Galleon-starved throughout the entire game. Purebloods should not have been the primary source of Galleons for the game as a whole.
  • 4 is a rough number for professors, as it highly over-emphasizes the strength of a team of two. 5 would have been better - maybe introduce a non-House-aligned professor?
  • As previously discussed, the personal professor win conditions were not well balanced against each other. Some were drastically easier than others, and some were much harder.
  • Professor deadlines could have been revised - my thought was a 48-hour day with professor deadlines 24 hours in. That allows for spacing out the wheeling and dealing, rather than what ended up becoming 90% lull and 10% rush around deadline.
  • Professors needed more ways to communicate across the game - difficult to do subterfuge or be sneaky about your house affiliation when all you can do for the first few months is post publicly.
  • The Invisibility Cloak sucked rear end. :)

BTW, I would totally play this again for Year 2. Not sure if I'd want to do the professor thing again or go student though!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

5 would have been better

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
I thought the core of the game was wonderful and I would eagerly play in a sequel. But if we're doing a notes session....

I'd Rework Effortblocking. -- in my opinion they're the best class besides studious. They heavily affect the game, going without one in Slytherin was a little rough. I think i'd recommend nixing effortblockers as a class for students and instead give each house a "House Ghost" who can't contribute to events but handles the house's effortblocks, defenses and heals. That way every team has the same effortblocking potential and students don't have to shoot their own studies to try and bring someone else down with them.

More Money, Broader Economy. -- Money was kinda hard to come by in this game. Everything seemed expensive because we had no way to earn money. I think the average person started with ten or twelve and didn't get a Christmas package. So their whole yearly nest egg would have been enough for two butterbeers. Having some events reward gold in addition to points would have been great for that.

Professors Might Have More Fun With A "Hated House". -- I think having a house to try and destroy instead of a house they are assigned to protect might be more engaging. It would make it more difficult to discern professor's motives and give them more incentives to cooperate with other houses. This game played out with the professors pretty solidly in each of their own team's camps, because all three other houses and professors were the enemy. Whereas, if you give each professor a hated house, then it's easy to imagine cooperating with three of the four houses and any of the professors. I'm gonna echo Podima too, they should have more ways to talk. Like an auto RoR or something. Or if you like the house ghost idea, give each of them a house ghost to relay messages with, something.

More Even Rewards for Each Skill -- Knowledge was the best for points with two sets of tests - eight subjects- that awarded 20 per subject. An additional 100 to Dux and an additional 100 for best house could have earned a high knowledge team 520 points. Next best was bravery; Each time had six quidditch matches that awarded 40 and the team that did best got 200. A perfect showing of bravery netted a team a potential 440 points. After that was Empathy with one event, the Yule Ball, that awarded 100. And Cunning had no special events.

Cunning Should Have Something -- I don't know if I prefer the idea of there being a duel club or the idea of cunning students having a way to produce galleons; but you got to give cunning something. It's lonely. We're the only not special stat. Cunning got used somewhat disproportionately in the events themselves, but thats not the same. And if you gave cunning something special then you wouldn't have to give it preference in events.

It's Calling For A Narrative. -- For me it just isn't the Harry Potter universe if you're not stopping the spread of sinister dark wizardry in between classes. Having a small 'main quest' wouldn't even have to distract from the format of the game. Have every house pick a champion. Every other month or so have champions do some kind of Genius Death Match game to see who advances the plot line of the main quest. The person who performs best at stopping evil or whatever earn points at the end. And maybe gets cool items during the in-betweens. It would be tremendously satisfying to know that, by the time we are done with the school year, our little graduating class have saved the Wizarding world. In some small way or another.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 10, 2017

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Game was super fun, I will play other things now! My feedback:

* Something to encourage public conversation would be good. I felt it was a shame that you were so strongly incentivised to hide your focus and specialty - like I was bravery 6 flying 17 or whatever, I wanted to trashtalk for the quidditch game, but knowing who the quidditch stars were was super important and I felt like I had to avoid raising my head above the ramparts at all cost just in case I could avoid getting effortblocked at the important point. Whether your name showed up in an event's flavour text or not felt pretty major.
* Some of the midgame changes/clarifications affected decisions - like month 13 vs month 12 exams meant that people with 0 knowledge suddenly sucked at exams since you couldn't use effort.
* Friendly has a really high opportunity cost when coupled with the mandatory event participation - like if you use friendly you can't study! Feedback from some of our friendlies who quit was they could never really expect to study, which kind of sucked when their mandatory event participation was dependent on class stats and then they were in a feedback loop of wasting effort on mandatory events, making them bad at later events, etc.
* The train channel was pretty wacky because you were incentivised to leave discord on forever to see the chat - like the idea of a risky semi-private place is neat but I think the risky behaviour should be a game mechanic rather than depending on people's discord setup and if you have to turn a machine off.
* Last-minute mid-month realtime events are a problem when they affect people's orders. If we need to be around at deadline to rework things think that needs to be part of the game signup. Would prefer detentions and duels to be something that affected the next month, for example.
* Item transfer timing was pretty nonintuitive

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Thanks guys, part of the reason why i wanted to wrap up over the weekend was i'm getting smashed at work right now (and have been for the last couple) but i'll get some posts down probs on the weekend.
I've discussed on discord many things that could be improved on but keep them coming, that way if someone runs another one they can see this all for posterity.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'll say I thought friendly was very good and made for some interesting decisions, like us having KB detention me so I could study rather than being forced into an event. Had fun trying to puzzle how best to use Keane and myself.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

I'll say I thought friendly was very good and made for some interesting decisions, like us having KB detention me so I could study rather than being forced into an event. Had fun trying to puzzle how best to use Keane and myself.

Same deal on the Slytherin side, though I think 2 effort for their scouting ability was 1 effort too expensive.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think it would be fun to add an evil faction. Perhaps if one member of each house was evil or half way through the game someone can get turned evil. Something in the vein of like the Avalon or Battlestar Galactica boardgames. I feel like there needs to be some deeper intrigue than just "What minigames are there this month"

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Mordiceius posted:

I think it would be fun to add an evil faction. Perhaps if one member of each house was evil or half way through the game someone can get turned evil. Something in the vein of like the Avalon or Battlestar Galactica boardgames. I feel like there needs to be some deeper intrigue than just "What minigames are there this month"

I was hoping some players would be evil.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some of my own thoughts for a sequel:

- More events every month.
Yes, this would be more work for the moderator, but it would also give individual players more to do, and would make it more likely individual players could be useful. This would also provide more opportunities for Houses to cooperate and collaborate, something that wasn't always an incentive of the game.

- More ways to spend effort.
Again more work for the moderator! Maybe on Hogsmeade months allow a player to go work in Hogsmeade for 10g. Or on some months spend a point to go searching the Forbidden Forest for a chance to gamble at a good item (or a monster encounter!). Or spend an effort to support a friend and give them 3 hp.

- Make some knowledge events.
Having a stat that works twice a year isn't very fun, it'd be great to have some events that play on the Knowledge stat. This should go hand in hand with adjusting knowledge to make it less good for exams.

- Let Houses choose who represents them in dueling events.
On month 1 we started with Meinberg in a duel event where he literally could not contribute regardless of how much effort he put in. It would have been a lot better if we could have picked who represented our House in those duels.

- Limit studying to once per class per month.
Currently the game encourages heavily specializing in one course, the premier exam strategy was heavily specializing in two courses with as much knowledge behind it as possible. Limiting how much an individual course can be "pumped" would result in more students having points spread between classes. To go with this change maybe just have exams be Knowledge + Class Score, to reward people who stuck with a class all 12 months. (Studious could be "if you use 3 effort on studying, you may boost the lowest class you studied by 1 point.")

- Unique perks if you get to certain class levels.
This would make class choices more meaningful and interesting, and give some incentive for students to spread between a few classes too. Maybe if you have 5 in potions and 3 in herbology you can make a potion that gets you a temporary +1 boost to a stat when you drink it. Or if you have 4 care of creatures you can send an owl for free. 4 charms could give you a duel bonus, maybe 4 DADA gives you better luck in the forbidden forest. And so on.

- Less partial professors.
There was not much ambiguity in which professors were aligned with which house, and for the most part professors stuck with benefiting their own house members. Extra credit assignments were a lot of fun for us players, but they occasionally also felt like excuses for professors to shower their own houses in points. I would like to see a game where professors are more like judges or co-moderators than players, there to give out rewards to players and make the game more interesting on the roleplaying front.

- Limit of 3 in any starting stat.
I think this would encourage more well-rounded students and probably more balanced houses.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

The Civ games busb made that this was an evolution of had that, and it really wasn't that great. The group either figures it out and excludes the person from a new private discussion or they don't trust one another and that is no fun for coordinating anything. Some sort of external conflict would be more interesting, though.

As for stats I thought having a major stat and minor stat (that are automatically 4 and 2) would have been a good way to fix some of the issues I had with the way stats worked. I think maybe even tying in the specializations directly into major and minor talents or whatever would have been appropriate too, where you are strong in one area but also effective at another (so not just pranking every month, etc.).

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
POST THE EPILOGUE BUSB

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

And they all lived happily ever after the end

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

POST THE EPILOGUE BUSB

(I'm going to keep bumping this till you do!)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I also am very interested in a post game post.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

I also am very interested in a post game post.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I know I Have Plans!! I'm in the final 7 days of writing a project at work worth literally billions of dollars. I haven't forgotten. I promise!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's only like 50 Galleons or so, geez. It's not like your prison scrip actually counts for much in the real world, right?

(Good luck!)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
One last busb-bump. I swear this is the last time I'll bug you about the ending... probably. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

My work's doing a harry potter christmas do, sorting hat event and all. It sounds like they ordered robes off ali express and all, and we have to make our own wands to bring along.

Turns out this was all practice for real life.

However I got sorted into gryffindor with a bunch of marketing people...

• Locked thread