Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Meinberg posted:

By rights, that croissant belongs to all of us! Keane's consistent evil in this fashion is not to be approved of, lest he become yet another tinpot tyrant parading about without any fear of opposition. But worry not, my friends, I have the strength to defeat our most perfidious foe, the courage and the insight needed to triumph in this duel. All I need to be certain of victory is the assistance of the good people of Hogwarts. Stand with me, and oppose the evils that Keane represent. Stand with me, and bring glory to all of your names.

Stand with me, and free the croissant!

I am not interested a single bite of someone else's croissant, thank you. Especially when you are getting it all cold by tearing it into shreds. It is not even the only croissant! There are other perfectly good by English standards croissants to eat! You say this is for égalité, but really what you are saying is that if you cannot 'ave the 'appiness from that first croissant, nobody can. Grab the second croissant and enjoy it, do not rip the pastry from Keane's 'ands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

'Ere is the story of a man my father said was an inspiration to 'im. In a 'istorical sense, I mean. I 'ope you enjoy the read.

Guillaume Ferrus, Le Petit Héros

The French Revolution is one of the most influential events in the history of France, and while it's triumphs and downfalls were largely the work of Muggles, there were more than a few members of the magical community involved, and Monseiur Ferrus was one such wizard. A wealthy and well respected Beauxbatons graduate turned merchant in Marseille, he was elected to the National Assembly not for rousing speeches, fiery dedication to the Revolution's ideals, or wizardly prowess, but for his quiet competence and attention to detail.

In his time in the Assembly, he was a moderate, and wildly unpopular as a result--the nobles and clergy hated his insistence that they must be taxed for France to remain solvent, the Jacobins hated that he always favored caution over ideology, and the people of Paris despised his wealth, accusing him of profiting off their famine. Still, he worked tirelessly to keep the country running, and to keep what food was available flowing into the city via his trade contacts.

When the Terror came, Guillaume stayed in the Assembly as long as possible, though he no longer voted or spoke out as he once had. Instead, he busied himself with the guillotines, arranging their construction--but also enchanting them as he often as he was able. Through a complicated series of enchantments, illusions, and surreptitious bribes to executioners, he was able to prevent many executions with nobody the wiser, smuggling them away to the colonies. It was not flashy, and there were many more he could not save, but he did what he could until he was finally forced to flee to Guiana in 1796.

What we can learn from his example, as my father likes to say, is the value of the right person in the right place, and how small deeds can build to a greater good. He was not brave, exactly--he took as few risks as he could manage. He was not charismatic, or bold, handsome or scholarly. But he was shrewd, and practical, and determined to do what he could. And that is a kind of hero we all can aspire to be.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It is not a thing that I 'ave discovered, but I do 'ave one that you might not 'ave 'eard of in England.

Le Tarasque du Tarascon

There are only so many pages that you can fit in a textbook before you run the risk of crushing students under its weight. As a result, there are many creatures out there that are not included in Scamander's work for simple space reasons. But this does not mean that they are unimportant or unloved. The Tarasque, or 'Tarry' as he is affectionately called by locals, is one such example.

I was seven when we vacationed in the south of the country, and to make it educational my father brought us to Tarry's preserve, near the commune of Tarascon. It is a fairly large piece of land, full of waterways, strongly warded to keep Tarry in and everyone else out, for he is quite dangerous, and can only be safely viewed from the air--we watched from the comfort of a magic carpet.

It took some time before we spotted his shell in the river, and longer still b fore he emerged to sun himself on its banks, and when he emerged... well, the Tarasque is a difficult creature to describe. He is basically turtle-like--his massive shell is his most striking feature, but he also has six legs, and a lion-like head. You may notice that I keep referring to him in the singular sense, and that is because as far as we can tell, Tarry is the last of his kind, and has been for hundreds of years. It was actually only fairly recently, when the fossilized remains of another Tarasque were found in the Camargue, that we have become certain that he was an actual natural creature, and not the one-off result of some deranged cross-breeding experiment.

Beyond his extreme longevity, Tarry is not especially magical--the opposite is actually true; the wards require constant upkeep because Tarry is incredibly resistant to magic, a property that seems to be strongest in his shell. There were concerns at one time that poachers would attempt to harvest his shell, but these worries were ended when a group of poachers actually tried, and wound up getting eaten before the Preserve's rangers were able to rescue them. I was actually fortunate enough to watch them drop in a load of meat for Tarry, and having watched him rip it to shreds in seconds, I can safely say that those were the dumbest poachers to ever live.

My father explained to me afterwards that the big things to learn from Tarry--besides the fact that Tarry is very big and I should not get too close to him--was the important of conservation, and of proper respect for muggles--after all, if the stories are to be believed, the muggles killed a Tarasque in ancient times, which is certainly more than the poachers and all of their magic accomplished (magic may have been involved, but the point that magic is not unstoppable or the only thing that matters is still true). My mother also bought stuffed animal of Terry, and it remains one of my favorite possessions, though I haven't brought it with me to Hogwarts.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Also late, but I would like to share Make a Wish in which 'Arry Potter, resigned to the fact that 'e may never get to live a normal life because 'e's too busy fighting Voldemort, spends a summer backpacking across Europe and further anonymously and without warning. A comedy of misunderstandings ensue, and 'e ends up building quite a legend under another name. A bit of a single joke story, but it is a good joke, and told well.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It is not very nice to spread lies, Nintholomew. We 'eld to our end of the bargain precisely!

Were you per'aps pranked by somebody?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

It is not very nice to spread lies, Nintholomew. We 'eld to our end of the bargain precisely!

Were you per'aps pranked by somebody?

We spoke with the 'eadmaster, and it appears I owe you an apology, Nintholomew. We 'ad an error in our math that we failed to catch on a second look. If there is some way we can make it up to you, I 'ope that this 'onest mistake does not make you think too much more poorly of us. I understand that this is going to be 'ard for your 'ouse to believe, but it really wasn't our intention to 'urt you, especially when doing so meant 'urting ourselves and our reputation.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yes, we are aware that 'ufflepuff 'as no Bamsticks, because they are presently all in our possession. We did win that last game on the strength of our Beaters, after all.

CCKeane posted:

Now THIS is interesting, because we received an owl that read "Slytherin have all the beaters"

Now this is interesting. Who would 'ave told you that?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Too bad Gryffindor isn't able to stand tall to their "proud" legacy and are instead a bunch of weasels.

Mord, that's a bit unwarranted, don't you think? Our 'ouse 'as a reputation that we're specifically trying not to live up to. 'Istory 'as shown us that 'aving a deep angry rivalry between Slytherin and Gryffindor didn't work out too well, after all. We should be friendly!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

They say that fortune favors the bold, and there is a certain someone I 'ave 'ad a curious eye on for a while now, so I will take the duty of... the saying is "breaking the ice", non?

This feels embarrassing to say in front of everyone, but... Darta... well, you intrigue me. I 'ave 'eard you rattle off communist manifestos at the literal drop of a 'at--early in the year, I remember you called the tall 'at my mother gave me a 'symptom of the decadence of the upper classes'--and you 'ave insisted that the only value a thing can 'ave is what it contributes to the greater good. I 'ave over'eard some of the Muggleborn students calling you a 'robot' But... it's funny, but what most stood out to me is when I saw you eating a cookie one time. You didn't eat it normally, or swallow it in one gulp like Keane does (I 'ave no idea why 'e does this, surely you cannot taste a thing when you do this, and it must 'urt going down). You nibbled at the edge and went around and around in a circle, until finally it was too small to continue, and you finished the rest. That does not seem to me like something a person as stoic as you claim to be would do, and... well, I want to know more.

Would you like to... what is the saying... 'ang out some time? I received a package of cookies from 'ome just the other day...

##date Darta Ozols

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I understand that there has been a lot of roughhousing within these grounds and nobody wants to speak about this. It's time to ferret out the people responsible so we can put this behind us. I'll be starting with one of the people from Slytherin to hear the story.

##Detention Celestine Comtois

And while we're at it. I'm suspecting this has Quidditch to blame for this. So...

##Confiscate Bamstick

Ah, Professeur, you need only 'ave asked! There's all sort of things I can tell you about rough'ousing on this campus. There 'ave been, for example, the many times that Mulberry 'as been bullied and shoved in the 'alls. Or recently, when I was 'elping with the Astronomy project, and some other students threw a telescope at my 'ead. Or more recently still, there was the time that several students from other 'ouses ganged up on your own nephew and beat the tar out of 'im, as I'm no doubt you're aware, caring uncle that you are. This 'as been such fun for us, but we 'ave persevered through it all. I do 'ope that in the future you see fit to punish the people who are actually responsible, and not the victims.

I do appreciate that you 'ave put in the effort to 'ave an actual excuse prepared, unlike Professor Novis's outright theft.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Blatant manipulation aside, I really would like to nominate Nintholomew, for being willing to forgive. Everyone knows that we failed Ravenclaw rather spectacularly in the past, and I shoulder a fair portion of that blame. I would 'ave understood if 'e 'ad wanted nothing more to do with our 'ouse from that point onward; 'e would 'ave been quite justified in it! But 'e didn't take the easy way, or give in to anger. 'E was understanding about the fact that we made an 'onest, disastrous mistake, and was willing to move forward. For that, I really am incredibly grateful towards 'im. Thank you, Nintholomew, and the rest of Ravenclaw as well.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Paris managed to work out the connection with planets, but we didn't go as far as to work with actual astrology--we thought it might be something name-based. Great puzzle, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Congratulations to Gryffindor, and to Professeur Burgundy! A well-earned victory!

But it doesn't change that I'm the most popular girl in school, and the best dancer, so I think we all know who the real winner is here. :smug:

• Locked thread