Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##DetentionKeane That's enough Tomfoolery out of you, young man!!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Hmm?

Oh yes. Yes. Very good paper Keane. Keep up the good work! :)

##Approve Professor Podima

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

It's about that time to announce this month's extra credit assignment, from Professor Aldous Mudd. For all you who have attended the Mystery Book Club meetings, this should be a breeze!

I have perused a few mystery stories and have assembled a quiz. 30 questions to answer. You must let me, or the Headmaster know of your intent and provide means for an owl to send you your quiz. If you have attended the Mystery Book Club meetings, the cost is 2 Galleons.

For everyone else, it is 3!

You will have one hour upon receiving uour quiz to post your answers in the thread with spoilers. I will trust your reason and judgement when you turn your answers in. I will not tolerate cheating in this quiz.

The ones who do the best in the quiz will be awarded with points.

Well!... best of luck!

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 29, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Well, unless another student turns in his answer. I'm ready to reward Octavius Chelemley with points.

In all seriousness, you have done very well with answering most of the questions. I only wished I picked a better time to issue it out.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 30, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##awardravenclaw
##awardravenclaw

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##approveProfBurgundy
##approveProfPodima.
##approveProfViva

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 30, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

From Prof. Mudd's desk posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kdfXUFbkNRBkzZRS81sjqsv5_n0xR-4cYq-CS9BAgIk/edit?usp=drivesdk

Please find the answers to the quiz in this sheet.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-z6fR7bRXTI4/UC7ocPqLmlI/AAAAAAAAAxI/VIi6nYasXAA/s1600/eenie1.png

I'm not sure if this would be for Darta's own good. That said, I do think Darta owes you an apology.

##vetoProfNovis

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 1, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I've looked at the recipes, and on principle I want Grandicap to spend some time thinking about the... toxicant he made.

##DetentionGrandicap

I wanted to reward Kashandra, but that matter demands my attention.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 4, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Well, since we have a little more time, I think a quick extra credit assignment would be appropriate.

Your extra credit assignment will be to identify the script at the bottom of the post. The first person to correctly identify it will receive points for their house.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Radio! posted:

Oh! Oh! Pick me! It's the Voynich manuscript!

Well... I was honestly expecting this to take longer, but yes! That is correct.

##AwardRavenclaw

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I may as well throw my hat in the exams.

quote:

A private guess was here. Pay no attention.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 6, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##Approve Professor Vivus
##Approve Professor Burgundy

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I understand that there has been a lot of roughhousing within these grounds and nobody wants to speak about this. It's time to ferret out the people responsible so we can put this behind us. I'll be starting with one of the people from Slytherin to hear the story.

##Detention Celestine Comtois

And while we're at it. I'm suspecting this has Quidditch to blame for this. So...

##Confiscate Bamstick

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 10, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##Approve Prof Vivan Novis

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I see that the Quidditch matter is far more complicated than I had thought. Celestine, I've done you a disservice it seems. The only thing that can make this right is some tutelage to make up for your lost time.

##Tutor Celestine (Charms)

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 13, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

As we're approaching the end of the month, I present a new extra credit challenge to anyone who wants to try their hand at it.

These links below lead to a secret message from a decade ago. A cousin I knew was trying to be clever and concocted a code meant only for his crush. He tried too hard in keeping this secret if you ask me; he is a preening and proud sort who wanted everyone to know how brilliant he is.

If you can uncover the secret message and post it here will receive points to their house. If you find yourself stumped and looking for advice, I can give you hints to help guide you in the right direction. 3G will be my asking price, and the hint will be yours and yours alone.

https://imgur.com/a/0aLRy
https://imgur.com/a/SoUqE
https://imgur.com/a/KujP1

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

While impressive that you've translated the entire recipe, that isn't the secret message my cousin wrote to his crush.

Look at your message and try again.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 15, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

xiw posted:

Florentine?

While the recipe that my cousin used is for Florentine biscuits, I must repeat that the recipe by itself is not the secret message.

Look over the text I've provided and try again.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Are your cousin's initials FR?

No they are not.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Looking through the text, I've found a letter that's missing and would make decoding the secret message more difficult. On the third page, there's a red A on the first world on the 2nd line from the bottom

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Keane, It comes to my attention that you've been harassing many of your fellow students, including my nephew.... No more!

##DetentionKeane

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 18, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##approve Professor Burgundy
##approve Professor Podima
##approve Professor Novis

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I may regret this, but if your demeanor will improve by this then I will play along...
###Detention Alasdair

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I had thought we'd stop with detentioning. You all agreed that It's not working.

##veto Burgundy

Wait...

##veto Novis

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 22, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

###Approve Prof Novis

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Things have been too quiet since Christmas. I have a new puzzle for any student who's interested. If you can solve this one, you will earn twenty points for your house.

You don't have to be worried that it's anything like the secret message; this one should be much easier. In fact, if you have an eye for music these days, this might be a breeze for you. Follow the link provided below to find a list of clues to a modern band, with an answer space provided with some slots marked with a number. Finding those mystery band will help you uncover the line to a song. If you can provide me the name of that song and the artist, I'll count that as a solve.

Best of luck!

https://imgur.com/a/EZlIg

Oh, and one more thing: I'll still honor rewarding points if you uncover the secret message from the previous puzzle.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

KhediveRex posted:

Frank Turner - If Ever I Stray.

That's right. You get 20 points for Slytherin.

##Award Slytherin

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 28, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I'm thinking this is more to do with Quidditch and roughhousing than anything else. But... fine.

###Approve Professor Podima : detention
###Abstain Professor Podima : award

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 28, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

It's come to my attention that the secret message I've established has been dropped by the student body at large. It's disheartening that many have stopped, not even wanting to ask for hints that I am willing to provide. To that end I shall present you this one hint: count the letters by five. You should notice a pattern that will shed some light on deciphering the message.

And since we are nearing the end of the school year, I offer you all congratulations for getting through this. It's been a long road, and we have not have made it easy for you. Regardless, here you all are and ready to take on the new year. Your parents will all be proud!

... That said, I've been confronted with news of one particular student who has been tampering with my items, and I will not tolerate this!!

##Detention Johnny Sickle

pre:
Please disregard the above. Too much firewhiskey, and things weren't where he left them
##Award Ravenclaw
##Approve Professor Burgundy

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 3, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

It's come to my attention that the student body has not only been at each others throats over the exams, but that a portion of students have been dealing with illicit drugs in this very school! This will not be tolerated! We're not going to sit by and let this happen! Mulberry Evergreen, you're coming with me for a long talk about the materials you've been procuring!

##Demand Detention Mulberry Evergreen

And I will not be surprised one bit if this is all part of the harassment over the coming exams! If this is supposed to be the best choice you've made...

##Confiscate Holistic Notes

##Approve Professor Novis

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##veto Professor Podima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

As we are coming to a close on this year, I'm saddened that nobody has come close to solving the secret message half a year ago. It will teach me next year to give you all puzzle that are more intuitive to solve. But that will be next year. For now, I'll explain the steps to uncovering the secret message.

Many of you who looked at the purple characters in the letter were not wrong in paying attention to them. However, the letter was not important to solving the puzzle; it's where the purple letters are within groups of five. I've mentioned as your hint that counting the letters by five would help you uncover a pattern. This is how.

Now if you were a cryptographic bent, you could simply assign a random letter in each five-letter group, based on the pattern of red and purple letters. and from there try to decode the message from there. However there's a cipher put in place to solve that for you. The cipher is taken almost entirely from the Bacon Substitution Cipher, but with purple letters instead of bolded letters.

Using the Bacon Cipher on the second and third pages of the letter would reveal:

pre:
DEARESTBIANCATHECHANCETHATEXAMSAREDONEMEETMEATTWELVE

ATTHEFLORENTINEBAKERYTHENLEAVE

FORTHEFTPROCTORPARKSOWECANCATCHUPJOLF
From there, you can simply put spaces between the words, and get the message. But that alone would've been enough to solve the puzzle.

Well! Happy new year all and enjoy your vacation!

• Locked thread