Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

##DetentionKeane That's enough Tomfoolery out of you, young man!!

##veto Professor Aldous Mudd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Podima posted:

Prof. Podima's Extra Credit Assignment #1

As new students at Hogwarts, you've clearly heard plenty of stories about History of Magic from your families and friends - boring drudgery personified, sitting in a sweltering room barely staying awake as you listen to a ghost droning on about ancient magical events that you couldn't care less about. Well, I'm pleased to tell you that I plan to take a bit of a different tack this year. Let's begin with a focus on more recent history - specifically, the events of twelve years ago.

All of you have heard the tales of heroes and foes that came from Hogwarts each in their own time, and returned twelve years ago to do ferocious battle upon the very stones of the school they once learned at. I feel it's important to remember that those who committed great and foul deeds alike did so not as a product of their Houses or upbringing, but thanks to their own hopes, dreams, and impulses - for good or ill. THAT'S what shapes history - the actions individuals take.

Your extra credit assignment for this month:
Write and submit (in this thread) a 150-300 word (flexible limit if you feel inspired) essay about one of these two things from 12 years ago:
- A hero NOT from Gryffindor
- A villain NOT from Slytherin

I want to hear about how their choices and eventual fates have influenced how you want to spend your time here at Hogwarts. What did you learn from them, and how will you apply it?

Those who make creative choices about the subject of their writing shall be judged more favorably. The one who submits the best essay, by my judging, will win points for their House! Please make your submission by 7 PM ET on Wednesday (~23 hours from now). Deadline may change depending on when the actual month-end deadline is, as I need time to judge.

Good luck!

As an FYI, I fully endorse this extra credit, and I'm hoping there are enough entries that I can award points to the second places house as well!

Please don't feel discouraged by the Detention attempt on someone who submitted. That was merely coincidence.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##Approve Professor Podima

##Award Slytherin

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Deadline is good.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Extra credit from me this month:

As you all know, I teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. This month I'd like to see your best Arts, depicting Defense Against the Dark Arts! No strict guidelines here. Be creative like I ask you to be in my class.

I'll award the house of the submission I like the best.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

busb posted:

I'm considering a Deadline for Month 2 at 10:00 pm EST 26/8. (Saturday night)

Oh, and deadline will of course be prior to the end of the month. Your submissions must be in by 2 hours before deadline. So if it remains as above, submissions must be in by 8pm EST on 8/26.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

peramene posted:

Professor, when you say Arts, do you refer specifically to drawings? Because I have something from another field of art in mind.

King Burgundy posted:

No strict guidelines here. Be creative like I ask you to be in my class.

The only limitation is obviously it should be your own original work.

Grandicap posted:

KB, send me your address, I will ship you the best macaroni art you have ever seen.

Feel free to post a picture of it. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

Oh, and deadline will of course be prior to the end of the month. Your submissions must be in by 2 hours before deadline. So if it remains as above, submissions must be in by 8pm EST on 8/26.

Reminder that the deadline for this is in about an hour.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

peramene posted:

the worst part about doing a complicated dance routine full-body ritual on camera is being on camera

Past deadline, but just want to confirm, is this entry coming? Don't want your work to be for naught.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Sadly very few submissions on this one, but I definitely appreciate the couple that came in. Very good work.

My favorite was this one:

Radio! posted:

Hello professor! I saw on the curriculum that we will be studying vampires later in the semester, so I made one.

he is very small

It put a giant smile on my face, and sometimes that is all it takes.

##Award Ravenclaw

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##approve Professor Podima

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

KhediveRex posted:

So, Burgandy's extra credit is over, but I made this weird egg. And I have nothing else to do with it really so, i'm just gonna post some pictures of it anyway.

Look guys, it's a weird egg! What kind of egg is that you ask? Snake egg! And it's got pictures of wizards and dementors on it.

... I think it's pretty groovy.

Nice!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

VivaNova posted:

Hello, pupils! How wonderful to see you all here.

As our dear Professor Ernie seems to have succumbed to a case of Vanishing Sickness, our headmaster invited me to return from retirement and take over his duties for the remainder of the year. I'm Professor Vivian Novis and I'll be teaching Potions and Herbology- both are fascinating and useful subjects which I highly encourage you to pursue excellence in. If there's anything I can do to help you succeed during your time here, do let me know! Though I'm certain you'll find me inherently good-natured, I'm equally committed to your scholastic pursuits- and I won't hesitate to punish any infractions with detention.

My esteemed colleagues have instituted monthly Extra Credit Assignments as a way to award house points. I find this a wonderful practice! Since there isn't much time left in this month, this assignment will be pleasant and quick- a fun way to get to know each other.

Month 3 Extra Credit Assignment
As I'm sure you're aware, our school has quite a following in Muggle pop culture! Before the end of the month, please submit your favorite bit of HP fandom- humorous, ridiculous or impressive. It can be a video, meme, art, fanfic, whatever. I eagerly await your submissions!

I've got nothing better in mind for this month, I may piggy back on this if there is enough interest.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

peramene posted:

Professor Burgundy, what would you recommend to protect oneself from the new Professor?

Being a good student is the best protection.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I haven't had enough time to review the entries for Viva's yet this month, so I'll revisit that next month.

Podima posted:

Really, you all did excellently once again. But there were three that I feel were at the front of the pack - Comtois, Keane, and Ozols. It was a tough call, but I think between the three I'm giving the nod to Comtois for what I admit are mildly selfish reasons. (Tarrasques really ARE the best, and the personal touch of a stuffed tarrasque is too adorable for words.) I encourage the other professors who have yet to award points to take Keane and Ozols' submissions into consideration, though! ##award Slytherin

I did really like these. Awarding Keane for his.

##Award Gryffindor

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##approve Professor Vivan

##approve Professor Aldous

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##approve Professor Vivan

I guess we should tamp down on the house self hate. Maybe a good conversation will come out of this.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Grandicap posted:

But as far as a Harry Potter Fanfic that I have actually read, there is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. This follows the Harry Potter saga if his Aunt Petunia had married a scientist, and Harry had been raised with the the scientific method as a backbone of his upbringing. It is an interesting take.

Haven't gotten through all of these still, but I really dig this and am awarding it from last month.

##award Gryffindor

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I've looked at the recipes, and on principle I want Grandicap to spend some time thinking about the... toxicant he made.

##DetentionGrandicap

I wanted to reward Kashandra, but that matter demands my attention.

I'm afraid I have to personally disagree with this decision as I appreciate the warning his entry is for us all.

##veto Professor Mudd

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##Approve Mudd

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Revisiting some more past entries that haven't won to continue to award the effort that went into them. This month, I'm awarding for this one:

Kashuno posted:

DRINK INGREDIENTS:

2oz Sint Maarten Guavaberry
1oz Coconut Cream
3oz Pineapple Juice or Pieces
Ice
HOW TO MIX THE DRINK:

Put ice in blender, add Sint Maarten Guavaberry, Cream of Coconut, pineapple pieces or juice. Blend well. Garnish with pineapple, toasted coconut & fresh nutmeg.

This is a Guavaberry Colada. I love this wonderful drink, because it is rare and not something that can be easily obtained in the US or EU. You need specific Guaveberry from a small island in the Caribbean to make it: I went on a long journey to obtain the necessary liquor for this and it paid off in spades. Indeed, prior to the trip i had not been aware it had even existed, and I did not know what I was missing from my life. It will always remind me of this wonderful trip, and the beautiful sights associated. It is very sweet, and is the perfect drink to sit by the ocean or unwind after a rough day. I do not have a practical demonstration of the brewing. Due to the rarity of the ingredients, I have only a small portion of what is necessary and I must save it for the holidays. As a consolation, I will show you a photo adventure of gathering the wonderful Guavaberry Liqeur and drinking the thing. I also have a custom painted of the stuff sitting at home that I may try to take a picture of later!

This was a great entry that I would also love to try! Kudos!

##Award Hufflepuff

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##Approve Professor Podima
##Approve Professor Vivan

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Still going back through old entries to spread the love around, this month I am awarding this one:

KhediveRex posted:

So, Burgandy's extra credit is over, but I made this weird egg. And I have nothing else to do with it really so, i'm just gonna post some pictures of it anyway.

Look guys, it's a weird egg! What kind of egg is that you ask? Snake egg! And it's got pictures of wizards and dementors on it.

... I think it's pretty groovy.

##Award Slytherin

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

peramene posted:

The moment Professor Burgundy offered this extra credit assignment, I knew there was only one thing to demonstrate. While we haven't covered it in class yet, there are several utilities for alternative theories of defense against dark wizardry and mugglery. One such theory presents the choreography of the body in such a fashion so as to redirect the magical energies within to produce an effect. One such technique - which is very difficult to master - truly spoke to me, and as we build up to exams, I found myself performing the first few elements of it - invoking their ability to calm and soothe the mind. In the below demonstration, I have intentionally occluded one element and only performed the majority of the First Movement - one part of a complex series. Those of who you have joined me in reading ahead in the Defense book will of course recognize these movements. I didn't have this in time for the initial assignment entirely due to my shyness and not wanting to reveal my inability to speak aloud - which as you can imagine, makes a number of spells more difficult for me. As we've said in class very frequently, never cower in the face of adversity.

Intended instead as something of a blessing to all of us on this round of exams, I present - an alternative Defense against the Dark Arts methodology: the First Movement. Also included is a hideen joke, just for laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1LC7V2qB6g

oh god my face

This is awesome, thanks for finally posting it!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Grandicap, you seem to be really getting the hang of my class. Good job!

##award Gryffindor

I think with some extra tutoring, you could be a real star!

##tutor Grandicap in Defence against the Dark Arts

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##approve Prof. Podima

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm not sure what your obsession is with Keane, professor. I think you may need some professional help. :)

##veto Professor Mudd

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##Detention Chao Slord

He knows what he did.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##Veto Professor Vivan

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Good work not being sent to detention this month Chao. Always nice to see improvement.

##Award Gryffindor

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##approve Prof. Novis

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##detention Chandler I saw you smuggling that nonsense into the quidditch match. Not on my watch!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##Approve Mudd
##Approve Pod

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

##Approve Mudd
##Approve Pod

My approval is for the points.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Good job at being awesome!

##award Gryffindor

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Edit: Putting it back now that things have reverted

##Approve Professor Aldous

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 3, 2017

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

VivaNova posted:

# detention murmur twin
# confiscate notes

Or do I???

##approve Professor Nova

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

VivaNova posted:

# detention bowmore
# confiscate butterbeer

I, for one, welcome our new reptilian overlords.

Not that it matters, but:

##veto Professor Novis

• Locked thread