Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Podima posted:

Let's make this one a bit more interesting, shall we?

I am now accepting bets (in 5-Galleon increments!) on the outcome of this duel!

Please let me know in the West Wing (Room 23B) if you'd like to place a wager. After the duel ends, the pool (minus half a Galleon for every 5 bet, rounded up) will be divided between the winners based on their bets.

Good luck, one and all!

Dude, that's a 10% house cut. That's an absurd margin of profit. The house rake is usually less than 1%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grandicap posted:

Dude, that's a 10% house cut. That's an absurd margin of profit. The house rake is usually less than 1%.

And by dude, I mean Professor Dude. No disrespect meant.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Podima posted:

Can't do fractional Galleons (I checked) so that's really the best I can do while keeping the barrier to entry as low as possible, I'm afraid to say. :( Also I plan to use the 'profits' to reward students' future hard work, so.... distinguish yourself!

(Not to be flip, but I did give it some thought before deciding on this approach so that people can participate even if they don't have as many Galleons as others.)

Well, its a better payout than scratchoffs.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Radio! posted:

Cast Engorgio and/or click for big.

The best essay yet! Squibs are underappreciated in our time.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I Scream for Florean Fortescue:
Remember the A la mode

Florean Fortescue was a hero of little to no renown. He provided the little joys in life to many Hogwarts students by running his ice cream parlor in Diagon alley and was known for his generosity, giving out free sundaes, to those who worked on homework in his shop. His unparalleled knowledge on the historical wizarding world allowed him to both help students working on essays, very much like this one, and probably led to his ultimate demise.
Due to his relationship with Harry Potter, and his knowledge of possible locations of Horacruxes, in 1996 Death Eaters, under Lord Voldemort's direct commands, forcibly captured, tortured, and later killed Fortescue. Personally, I think Voldemort just had a Neapolitan complex.
While not as widely known as his forbear Dexter Fortescue, a former headmaster of this great wizarding institution. His willingness to lend a hand, an ear, and a scoop or two, to struggling students, makes Florean a hero to me.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

busb posted:

1d10=9 Month 2 Event 2 - Pixietaur Friendship Duel*Special Event*
While exploring the Forest searching for pixies, Grandicap comes across a rare and ferocious Pixietaur, but he isn’t the only one to see it. Kashuno also sees it at the same time! The Pixietaur offers to teach one of them a secret trick, but only to someone who can prove they would be his bestest friend forever! The other houses hear about the challenge, and figure they can win themselves some credo by sneakily distracting the competition and helping their own friend win!
This event will test Grandicap and Kashuno’s Effort * (Empathy + Bravery), +4 Duellist
Ravenclaw are seeking to help Grandicap (Gryffindor) and Slytherin are helping Kashuno (Hufflepuff). Assisting this event will test Effort+Cunning .

:):hf::) Kashuno, friendship duel!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

KB, send me your address, I will ship you the best macaroni art you have ever seen.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Grandicap posted:

KB, send me your address, I will ship you the best macaroni art you have ever seen.

Feel free to post a picture of it. :)

Don't worry, I think I still have your address from secret santa. There will be so much glitter it will be fantastic.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

VivaNova posted:

Hello, pupils! How wonderful to see you all here.

As our dear Professor Ernie seems to have succumbed to a case of Vanishing Sickness, our headmaster invited me to return from retirement and take over his duties for the remainder of the year. I'm Professor Vivian Novis and I'll be teaching Potions and Herbology- both are fascinating and useful subjects which I highly encourage you to pursue excellence in. If there's anything I can do to help you succeed during your time here, do let me know! Though I'm certain you'll find me inherently good-natured, I'm equally committed to your scholastic pursuits- and I won't hesitate to punish any infractions with detention.

My esteemed colleagues have instituted monthly Extra Credit Assignments as a way to award house points. I find this a wonderful practice! Since there isn't much time left in this month, this assignment will be pleasant and quick- a fun way to get to know each other.

Month 3 Extra Credit Assignment
As I'm sure you're aware, our school has quite a following in Muggle pop culture! Before the end of the month, please submit your favorite bit of HP fandom- humorous, ridiculous or impressive. It can be a video, meme, art, fanfic, whatever. I eagerly await your submissions!

This has always been my favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

But as far as a Harry Potter Fanfic that I have actually read, there is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. This follows the Harry Potter saga if his Aunt Petunia had married a scientist, and Harry had been raised with the the scientific method as a backbone of his upbringing. It is an interesting take.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Podima posted:

Getting this assignment out early in the month - I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Prof. Podima's Extra Credit Assignment #3

Prof. Novis looks a bit grumpy this month, doesn't she? I can understand, given that both my classes were selected for special attention last month. Let's give her a pleasant distraction AND see what we can't do to encourage a cooperative frame of mind for one and all, yes?

P.S. Welcome, Prof. Novis! We're all thrilled to have you here.

Your extra credit assignment for this month:
Share your favorite "potion" (mixed alcoholic beverage) recipe with the class and explain why you enjoy imbibing it, with bonus points if you include a practical demonstration of its brewing!

Note that if your submission is good enough, I may give brewing it a go myself and share the results. :cheers: I'm sure that'd be fun for everyone!

P.S. If you prefer non-alcoholic potions or perhaps alchemical creations of a different sort, feel free to submit something to that effect! :2bong:

As always, creativity is worth rewarding. Your deadline is, let's say... 5 PM ET on Sunday (like two and a half+ days from now?)

Good luck!

This is my least favorite "potion" as inspired by Opop and DrinkfiaTM. (And the flying jacob). I call it The Drink That Shall Not Be Named

Here are most of the ingredients I would use, but improvization was required so it is not the complete list.

As you can see, I went with burbon as it obviously goes the best with an abomination out of all of the liquors. I used Pork Side Meat rather than bacon because I wanted too, and the thicker slices looked like they would be easier to candy. I was wrong on that front. I never actually used the brown sugar pictured here because white sugar turned out to be easier.

I started off my slicing the banana into strips and then candied it.
The basic steps here are cut with a mandolin, cover in sugar, then take a brulee torch and set them on fire.

Then I did the same to the bacon.

Look how thick it is.

Ok, then I diced some of the remaining bacon, added to some chicken stock, some bourbon and some hot sauce. I microwaved the mixture to let it infuse and let it sit a while too.

Then I shook well with ice.

Now I needed to get the peanuts in somehow. So I diced some up and tried to rim the glass with them... They didn't stick, so I put some peanut butter on the rim and them rimmed the glass with them and it worked, mostly.

Now to bring everything together. I poured the monstrosity in, added the garnishes and ended up with this.

So the bananas didn't nearly hold up as well as I had hoped when candied so they drooped a bit, but otherwise, it looks... still awful. Well let's give it a shot.

I did try it, and I did finish the garnish at least, but let's just say that I won't be making this again. This is what is left

Never try this, ever. It will take over Wizarding Britain in a heartbeat.

Grandicap fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 2, 2017

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Haven't gotten through all of these still, but I really dig this and am awarding it from last month.

##award Gryffindor

I'm super sad I posted it because it meant I read it again. Too much time spent on reading a fanfic. And sonic wasn't even in it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Wasn't the first one before the shops even opened in hogsmeade? And I can confirm that I bought nothing to do with quidditch, our team's natural talent is more than enough, even if we were riding swiffers.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Why would any of us bother spending gold on that?

Chances are it was Gryffindor's professor.

How would our professor know? I've seen no professors on the people list in our house room. Only the headmaster.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

They can go to hogsmeade as a free action. They can talk to other professors. That's just two ways I can think of how they would know, it's not too hard for me to imagine more.

Neither going to hogsmeade nor talking to other professors let you know which house bought a thing or how many. If you are supposing they have other powers we don't know about I would call that plausible but unlikely.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

It could have been an unhappy Slytherin? I don't know, all I do know is that Keane claimed to receive an owl with a message that has turned out to be true.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

peramene posted:

shhhh

does anyone wanna pants a professor without getting detention??

sshhhhhh

I believe in this context it would be called disrobing.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Well, since we have a little more time, I think a quick extra credit assignment would be appropriate.

Your extra credit assignment will be to identify the script at the bottom of the post. The first person to correctly identify it will receive points for their house.

Tengwar in the Sindarin mode but everything is transposed?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I want to date Keane, but he is in my own house. Woe is me.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hey, umm, Kashandra, I still feel really bad about that PixieTaur thing, I was wondering if I could make it up to you. I still owe you that butterbeer, ya know.

##date Kashandra Monet

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Well, since we have a little more time, I think a quick extra credit assignment would be appropriate.

Your extra credit assignment will be to identify the script at the bottom of the post. The first person to correctly identify it will receive points for their house.

Hey, Professor!

The Muggles decoded it!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

*is less offended by the fact that his dating failed and more offended by the fact nobody is trying to date him*

^^^^^

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Grandicap, you seem to be really getting the hang of my class. Good job!

##award Gryffindor

I think with some extra tutoring, you could be a real star!

##tutor Grandicap in Defence against the Dark Arts

Absolutely Professor! I'm willing to put in the work too.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The tyranny of our professors cannot stand!

##Duel Professor Viva Novis

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

busb posted:

You can't duel a professor silly! Besides, they would effortlessly defeat you.

It's about making a statement. I know a first year like me cannot hope to defeat a professor of Hogwarts, but the fine tradition of Wizarding Duels has always been about righting injustice, and that is what I am here to do. Right an injustice. I will not withdraw my request for a duel.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

peramene posted:

Let's not all pile around me in the garden looking for an easy fix to your woes with regard to Professors, yes? A favor granted is a favor owed - and if you'd just behave yourselves, you wouldn't be getting in trouble in the first place.

I'm sorry, what is it you think Johnny has done that was troublesome? I mean, Aedon initiated the contest because he thought we were being too loud. Ok, sure. Tensions are high and a good contest is a nice way to blow off steam. But then Professor Novis gave him detention for making a butt joke. The epitomy of humor for a 10 year old. Let's face it, butts are funny.

That Professor then tried to add insult to injury by stealing his butterbeer. A fizzy beverage is not contraband.

Stop victim blaming.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

peramene posted:

Your ignorance of cause does not invalidate faculty rules or conduct, but if you'd like to see your way to losing your House points via some ill-advised organized protest, you'll hear no argument from me.

Just stay the hell out of my greenhouse. Y'know, for your own safety.

For a punishment to be effective, it must be transparent. If the cause is unknown, how can it be an effective deterrent?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Since Professor Novis is unable or unwilling to accept my challenge, I will do the next best thing and challenge her mouthpiece and lick-spittle.

##duel Deena\Peramene

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Worth it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

peramene posted:

The duel a draw or a win via technicality, Deena still manages a wry and bitter smirk: despite the pain, point proven.

Your point was to not buy poorly authenticated magical artefacts?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I bought an item month 4 and it was burning a hole in my pocket. Totally worth it.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

peramene posted:

immunity

head of household

power of veto

DANCE HYPE

You can't dance, you're in the hospital with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Radio! posted:

Deena and grandicap sitting in the hospital
K-I-S-S-I-N-G

We're 10!!!

We're holding hands.

Kissing is how you get cooties.

• Locked thread