Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

https://twitter.com/mfilburn/status/899979677959421952

My dearest friends. Brothers and Sisters. Are you angry about having to pay some jackass on E-Bay $300 for a plug and play system that is originally $80? Furious that Nintendo has forgotten how supply and demand works? Still willing to pay money to play your favorite old games on a all in one device? But still don't want to pay stupid scalper prices? Hi, my name is BigRed0427 and I am here today to tell you there is another way.

This is a Raspberry Pi 3. A micro computer with 1GB of RAM, 1.2GHz Processor, and build in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Although originally created for the purpose to teach kids how to program, it's been embraced as a cheap alternative to buying old retro hardware to play that weird beat em up game based on a weekday morning cartoon only you remember.

Say, this sounds like a good idea. How to I get one!

Everything you need to get started is on Amazon.

The Raspberry Pi 3

A 5V 2.5A Micro USB Power Supply

A case for the Pi. This is the generic case made by the same people that make the Raspberry Pi, but if you search around Amazon and other places you can find other custom cases.

A micro SD Card, A USB controller to play. And a USB Keyboard to set everything up. All In all it's going to run you about $100 dollars.
Once you have everything you go to https://retropie.org.uk/ And download the Raspberry Pi 3 version of Retro Pi, the OS for the system. Then just install it to the Micro SD card and plug the card into the Pi. Set up the button inputs for your controller, hook it up to your WiFi and your all set.

How to I add games to this little magic box

:siren:WARNING: TALKING ABOUT HOW AND WHERE TO GET ROMS ON SA IS AGAINST THE RULES! DON'T DO IT!:siren:

To add games to the Pi, first hook the Pi into your Wi-Fi network. For windows open a new window on your computer and type \\retropie in the address bar. You will see a folder called ROMS. Just drop your games into the correct system folder and reset the Pi. The game should appear on the correct system menu.

So what systems can I run on this thing?
That's a great question. The Retro Pi can run

3do
Amiga
Amstrad
Apple II
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Lynx
Atari ST
CoCo
Colecovision
Commodore 64
Dragon 32
Dreamcast
FinalBurn Alpha
Genesis /Megadrive
Game Gear
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Intellivision
Macintosh
MAME
MasterSystem
MSX
Neo Geo
Neo Geo Pocket
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Entertainment System
Oric/Atmos
PC
PC Engine /TurboGrafx-16
PlayStation 1
PSP
ScummVM
Sega 32X
Sega CD
Sega Saturn
Sega SG-1000
Sharp X68000
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
TI-99/4A
TRS-80
Vectrex
Videopac/Odyssey2
Virtual Boy
WonderSwan
WonderSwan Color
Zmachine
ZX Spectrum

What about (Any system from the past three generations)
As far as I know, the PSP and the PS1 are the ceiling for what the Pi is capable of.

What Controllers should I get for it? Does it support Bluetooth Controllers?
Yep, the Pi has Bluetooth support. The recommended controller is anything from 8Bitdo. I personally have a iBuffalo Which for a knock off SNES controller, it feels really good to use.

How do I turn the thing on and off besides just unplugging and plugging it back in.
On the Retropie main menu hit start and go to quit. There you can restart or quit the system or Emulation station. Then just unplug it. If you wan't a physical On/Off switch then you will need to do some work.

I noticed the PI has GPIO pins on it. Doesn't that mean I could make all kind of zany, awesome, and really impractical RetroPi devices?
YOU BUT YOUR MAMA'S rear end YOU CAN! There is a whole community out there dedicated to building arcade cabinets, plug and play fight sticks and even handhelds for this thing.

Dig around online. Watch some videos on Youtube. Learn how to solder and use 3D CAD and build something cool.

If there is anything you think I should add, because i'm sure there are people out there that know more about this thing than me, let me know and I will put it in.

And go check out the Retro Games Thread If you want ideas on what games you should get.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Time to 3D print a SNES Classic :smugdog:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

can these legally play the finished star fox 2?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

baram. posted:

can these legally play

The answer is always no to questions that start like this.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nice. A few suggestions since I spun many a yarn on this very subject and did a shitload of testing:

- RecalBox OS has a high chance of being a better option as an OS to put on the SD card for your Pi, as it behaves better with multiple controllers. Setup, functionality and look is largely pretty similar to RetroPie, uses EmulationStation all the same.

- 8bitdo are the controllers to get and are Bluetooth, but are somewhat pricey. Cheaper controllers in the wired space exist, especially SNES-alikes (iBuffalo controllers are good if you can still find them), but quality can be pretty hit and miss.

- If you're making something loving tiny, the Raspberry Pi Zero might be a better option if you're aware of its shortcomings like not being network-connectable out of the box. Its power is equivalent to a Raspberry Pi 1, which for our purposes means you lose support for Yoshi's Island (it works but drops frames), GBA, PS1, N64 and other systems in that sort of processing power space.

- Some of you may want to give some serious thought into an original Wii instead, available at your local pawnshop for relatively very little, for which most accessories are plentiful and can be hacked to RPi1-tier capabilities, and being a Wii will also run Gamecube and Wii games at native speeds, plus you can do at least stock N64 games pretty well.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

univbee posted:

(iBuffalo controllers are good if you can still find them)

Are they being discontinued or something? I use them for my Pi and a ton of PC games all the time and I'll need to order like 10 more now if they are going to get hard to find.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

baram. posted:

can these legally play the finished star fox 2?

Sure, if you are playing a backup of the copy of the rom from your SNES Classic!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Remember to delete your ROMs within 24 hours if you don't own a legitimate copy of the game.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
Retro Pi is fine for most geeks, but there's two major issues I have over recommending this for a general audience:
  • The interface is nowhere near as intuitive as the classic, especially with save states.
  • The controls are too laggy for people who originally played the real thing.

It's an inexpensive solution that mostly gets the job done, so I'd really like to be proven wrong on this with whatever workarounds.

Regardless, that Gameboy Pi looks awesome.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This is a good thread and even though I have a SNESC preorder I am tempted to grab a retro pi just because it looks like it would be cool to see what I can do with it.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

UnhandledException posted:

Retro Pi is fine for most geeks, but there's two major issues I have over recommending this for a general audience:
  • The interface is nowhere near as intuitive as the classic, especially with save states.
  • The controls are too laggy for people who originally played the real thing.

It's an inexpensive solution that mostly gets the job done, so I'd really like to be proven wrong on this with whatever workarounds.

Regardless, that Gameboy Pi looks awesome.

I haven't tried save states so I can't speak for that, but I find the rest of the UI to be pretty intuitive and straight forward. I also haven't experienced any forms of lag on the classic consoles (nes, snes, psx), but I've heard that n64 games do not run smoothly. Do you have shaders enabled?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Well trying to get a SNES Classic today pushed me over the edge on building a RetroPi box. I've already got an 8bitdo controller, now I just need to start piecing together everything else.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I haven't spent aaaages looking, though i have googled and such, but does anyone with experience configuring this poo poo know how to change the block size for an SD card installation of retropie? It feels patently ridiculous that the thousands of 1kb to 20kb roms all take up a full megabyte of space each, and while i could use a USB drive or network storage or something it'd be really nice to not have to bother.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wallrod posted:

I haven't spent aaaages looking, though i have googled and such, but does anyone with experience configuring this poo poo know how to change the block size for an SD card installation of retropie? It feels patently ridiculous that the thousands of 1kb to 20kb roms all take up a full megabyte of space each, and while i could use a USB drive or network storage or something it'd be really nice to not have to bother.

The hell blocksize are you using? They should be multiples of 32 or 64kb generally. I'm assuming you're using FAT32 here, you want to get an actual software tool made to format SD cards.

It's a bit overkill but this one will do while I dash off to work

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Do these things work with wireless controllers? Because the concept a cheap tiny emulator box I can go throw into the living room is interesting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shima Honnou posted:

Do these things work with wireless controllers? Because the concept a cheap tiny emulator box I can go throw into the living room is interesting.

Yeah, it has bluetooth. Your best bet is the 8bitdo wireless controllers, they are solid.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

The Pi3 has integrated Bluetooth and will also support things like the 360 Wireless adapter with some Linux-fu. The PiZero doesn't but supports Linux-compatible Bluetooth adapters no problem. Via Bluetooth, Dualshock controllers are easy, as are newer Xbox One controllers I think, but the 8bitdo is the true retro wireless controller.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Sounds good to me, then.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Remember to delete your ROMs within 24 hours if you don't own a legitimate copy of the game.

If you are affiliated with any government, anti-piracy group or any other related group, or were formally a worker of one you CANNOT enter this web site, cannot access any of its files and you cannot view any of the HTML files. If you enter this site you are not agreeing to these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) or company storing these files, and cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hollenhammer posted:

If you are affiliated with any government, anti-piracy group or any other related group, or were formally a worker of one you CANNOT enter this web site, cannot access any of its files and you cannot view any of the HTML files. If you enter this site you are not agreeing to these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) or company storing these files, and cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site

Bill Clinton ran the best IRC ROM file servers, always had his timers on 999.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Another advantage of a softmodded Wii is that it will do 240p/480i/480p RGB natively, and look gorgeus on a CRT.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is the only way to turn on and off the pi to physically unplug it and plug it back in? If that's the case what's the best way to add a power switch?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Radish posted:

Is the only way to turn on and off the pi to physically unplug it and plug it back in? If that's the case what's the best way to add a power switch?

On the RetroPie main menu hit start. You will see an option to shutdown/restart. Then you can just unplug it.

Anything more than that will require some work.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Severed posted:

I haven't tried save states so I can't speak for that, but I find the rest of the UI to be pretty intuitive and straight forward. I also haven't experienced any forms of lag on the classic consoles (nes, snes, psx), but I've heard that n64 games do not run smoothly. Do you have shaders enabled?

No, haven't messed with shaders. I'm mostly playing 8 and 16 bit era. The wireless 8bitdo controllers aren't helping, either. I just need to wire something up to the GPIO pins for people that are really sensitive to it.

If the Retro Pi could copy one feature from the Classic, it should be how it auto savestates as you leave the game and lets you pick between them. Last time I checked, you can assign a button combination in the config for saving and another for loading, but that is nowhere near as user friendly.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

On the RetroPie main menu hit start. You will see an option to shutdown/restart. Then you can just unplug it.

Anything more than that will require some work.

That's what I figured. It's annoying since the plug is behind my TV setup and I don't want to physically unplug from the pi itself too much.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Not great and there might be a more straightforward approach, but you can always get a wifi plug. I have one that controls some outdoor speakers that works well for being $15 on amazon (as I type this it is probably dying).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hmm this looks like it might be a good solution.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N336XEU/ref=asc_df_B01N336XEU5135785

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Radish posted:

If you want to get fancy, this board will allow you to add a power switch & LED, as well as connecting arcade controls or NES/SNES controller ports (and on the github, it looks like possibly Genesis controller ports now, too).

If you only want the power switch, they have a version that is only for power, and I've used this one before as well.

I've currently got one set up inside an old SNES shell, wired into the controller ports, power, and reset.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evobatman posted:

Another advantage of a softmodded Wii is that it will do 240p/480i/480p RGB natively, and look gorgeus on a CRT.

This option was ridiculously easy to do initial setup on. Although I dislike needing to have things plugged into the WiiMote and I've been having trouble installing emulators as a channel vs being in the homebrew channel only 2 or 3 seem to have actual installers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

If the Retro Pi could copy one feature from the Classic, it should be how it auto savestates as you leave the game and lets you pick between them. Last time I checked, you can assign a button combination in the config for saving and another for loading, but that is nowhere near as user friendly.
There are hotkeys out of the box for loading/saving and changing save slots: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/ (search for "hotkeys"). I keep a printout of these handy because I'm scared of accidentally saving when I meant to load.

Anybody tried the MSL Digital RemotePi board? Being able to turn the thing on/off over IR is very tempting. I'm not sure what kind of case I would have to use to fit everything in there, though.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Reading about the Wii as an option is seriously tempting since Craigslist is littered with them. It would be pretty cool to be able to play all of Nintendo's systems on one machine (though N64 sounds shaky).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Reading about the Wii as an option is seriously tempting since Craigslist is littered with them. It would be pretty cool to be able to play all of Nintendo's systems on one machine (though N64 sounds shaky).

N64 has not great input lag, otherwise at least anything that had a virtual console release (I think 21 games did?) works well. Injecting works for more but I don't know the specifics.

Another RetroPie problem is that if it loses power in an active state, the sd card can easily get corrupted which isn't a turnkey fix. Not good for giving to non-savvy people.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yea I have an old wii in my closet that I haven't touched since college. Tempted to just get a classic controller pro at this point and buy some games off the VC since I've been in a big nostalgia mood anyway this year.

With the Switch release, does anyone know how long Nintendo plans to support VC on the original Wii? Like, will the service be discontinued when(if) nintendo gets a similar store set up on the Switch?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea I have an old wii in my closet that I haven't touched since college. Tempted to just get a classic controller pro at this point and buy some games off the VC since I've been in a big nostalgia mood anyway this year.

With the Switch release, does anyone know how long Nintendo plans to support VC on the original Wii? Like, will the service be discontinued when(if) nintendo gets a similar store set up on the Switch?

I'm not sure that Nintendo is necessarily going to race to shut it down, they may legally be unable to do so due to laws in countries about accessibility of digital goods and I don't think it requires significant resources at this point. Also don't forget it's still kept somewhat alive due to the Wii U and certain VC titles being only available that way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

If you want to get fancy, this board will allow you to add a power switch & LED, as well as connecting arcade controls or NES/SNES controller ports (and on the github, it looks like possibly Genesis controller ports now, too).

If you only want the power switch, they have a version that is only for power, and I've used this one before as well.

I've currently got one set up inside an old SNES shell, wired into the controller ports, power, and reset.

This stuff always looks so cool. I haven't messed around with this sort of thing since I made a Popn' Music board out of arcade parts and an old psx controller but I may give it a try thanks.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

univbee posted:

N64 has not great input lag, otherwise at least anything that had a virtual console release (I think 21 games did?) works well. Injecting works for more but I don't know the specifics.

Another RetroPie problem is that if it loses power in an active state, the sd card can easily get corrupted which isn't a turnkey fix. Not good for giving to non-savvy people.

Are there any Wii models/colors to avoid? I assume the Mini is out.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

david_a posted:

There are hotkeys out of the box for loading/saving and changing save slots: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/ (search for "hotkeys"). I keep a printout of these handy because I'm scared of accidentally saving when I meant to load.
Worrying over pressing the wrong combo is exactly my point.

If the Pi is going to be a replacement for the NES/SNES Classic, especially for less technical friends and family, we need a similar UX.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Are there any Wii models/colors to avoid? I assume the Mini is out.

Don't get the Wii Mini, they're fortunately quite rare, but there's no way to hack them or get VC on them, it's Wii games only in composite only, baby!

Other than that the only gotcha is later Wii's don't have Gamecube ports, there's a way to tell based on the orientation of the word "Wii" on the front but I forget which way is which. Even one without these ports can play Gamecube ISO's if hacked, though, and alternate controllers used.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Worrying over pressing the wrong combo is exactly my point.

If the Pi is going to be a replacement for the NES/SNES Classic, especially for less technical friends and family, we need a similar UX.
Oh, I agree about that completely. In general the entire UI (I guess it's Emulation Station?) needs a lot of polish. I find myself having to think too much about which button I'm supposed to use to close whatever submenu I've opened. The keyboard experience is pretty lame too; you have to constantly go back to the controller because stuff like arrow keys don't work correctly in menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

And crap. I must have hosed up the Config files for the NeoGeo emulators for my Pi and now none of my NeoGeo games will run. Anyone know how to rest them?