Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MikeJF posted:

Nice. Are you getting the effects where vertical lines or pixel grids would be become flat transparencies and dithers smooth gradients?

Yeah, all the dithering and other stuff looks like it should, I have a good frame of reference as I used to have JAMMA machines / original consoles and it's pretty much spot on.

I just tried Burger Time, please keep in mind I have never played this before, but it seemed OK to me?
I will get more pics later when it's dark, man you forget how hard it was to take pics of CRT's :lol:

Edit: I am getting some overscan, not much but it is there, I need to tweak the geometry a touch on the TV, I can do it through the config file and it does work but I prefer to do it through the TV

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Coincidentally a replacement scart cable for my modded Wii just arrived, so I will try that out too

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm curious, I just rebuilt my Pi 3b with the latest Raspian and RetroPie. Now that 4.6 is compatible with the Pi 4, if I get one I should be able to just swap the SD card and have it good to go, right? Obviously bluetooth and all that would need to be set up again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Medullah posted:

I'm curious, I just rebuilt my Pi 3b with the latest Raspian and RetroPie. Now that 4.6 is compatible with the Pi 4, if I get one I should be able to just swap the SD card and have it good to go, right? Obviously bluetooth and all that would need to be set up again.

I came across a thread that says not in my recent travels.
I have my 4 hooked up to Wifi and used Etcher to write Retropie to the SD card and then copied over my roms, it took an evening of tinkering but was really painless so if you have to go from scratch I think it's OK, not a huge hassle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

I came across a thread that says not in my recent travels.
I have my 4 hooked up to Wifi and used Etcher to write Retropie to the SD card and then copied over my roms, it took an evening of tinkering but was really painless so if you have to go from scratch I think it's OK, not a huge hassle

Yeah the biggest pain in updating mine was that I didn't locally save the artwork and metadata so I had to scrape everything again. I can just copy off the gameslist.xml and art directories if I need to again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Medullah posted:

Yeah the biggest pain in updating mine was that I didn't locally save the artwork and metadata so I had to scrape everything again. I can just copy off the gameslist.xml and art directories if I need to again.

Ah yeah the scraping is legit annoying, I am doing some today :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are there any beginner things I should know that trip people up? I've got it on and able to run psx, I made a WiiU controller connect, I've got the analog sticks working and setup the SSH. What are some other big things I should do?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Len posted:

Are there any beginner things I should know that trip people up? I've got it on and able to run psx, I made a WiiU controller connect, I've got the analog sticks working and setup the SSH. What are some other big things I should do?

In my config file I noticed the CPU was set at 700mhz by default, no idea why or if this is normal so check that out , I have mine set to 1500mhz now and am awaiting a heatsink and fan, I'll post about that when it arrives.
The config.txt file is a great little thing to gently caress around with, just save a backup copy and get tinkering, I have also ordered a wireless keyboard + trackpad which I'll post about.
I think from my time with this so far it's all about backing stuff up then going to town dicking around with stuff, it's been a lot of fun so far

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
How much RAM is necessary for dreamcast games? I'm looking at picking up the 2GB model, but dont mind springing for the 4 if it gives enough improvement.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have the 4gb and so far have found DC stuff to be fine, but only fine, like I don't feel that the hardware is doing it with ease

I like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuqQQfA371A

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ETA Prime's stuff is great all around. Watching his stuff is part of what convinced me to kinda move beyond a Pi and repurpose a slightly older gaming laptop into a Big Box console.

The Pi is a fantastic machine for the budget but for me it was also a little bit of a stepping stone into investing more money to get better performance out of different consoles that the Pi still doesn't do super well.

I refuse to get into a MISTer though, that's a level of tinkering that I just can't get into

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Ah yeah the scraping is legit annoying, I am doing some today :negative:

FWIW there's a "new" (since I last set one up) scraper called Skyscraper that you can buy a $10 donation membership to Screenscraper.fr, it works infinitely better than Selph's scraper. I was able to do all systems over a couple days once my membership kicked in (took a couple days).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Drone posted:

ETA Prime's stuff is great all around. Watching his stuff is part of what convinced me to kinda move beyond a Pi and repurpose a slightly older gaming laptop into a Big Box console.

The Pi is a fantastic machine for the budget but for me it was also a little bit of a stepping stone into investing more money to get better performance out of different consoles that the Pi still doesn't do super well.

I refuse to get into a MISTer though, that's a level of tinkering that I just can't get into

I think because I am outputting to 240p performance is super good, for the CRT setup I am totally happy now, I do not need to run anything newer than a PS1 for this project really, so it's just ideal.
I lost ouch with consoles after that until the PS3 and it's all HDMI from there, this is mainly about getting nostalgia hits and I'm all set for that, it's just tinkering from here on out, fun stuff :)

Medullah posted:

FWIW there's a "new" (since I last set one up) scraper called Skyscraper that you can buy a $10 donation membership to Screenscraper.fr, it works infinitely better than Selph's scraper. I was able to do all systems over a couple days once my membership kicked in (took a couple days).

I'll grab that thanks man, although after the Amiga stuff scrapes I am all good for huge batch type scenarios

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

I'll grab that thanks man, although after the Amiga stuff scrapes I am all good for huge batch type scenarios

Free version is 10,000 scrapes a day so still useful ($10 donation gets you 50,000).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Medullah posted:

Free version is 10,000 scrapes a day so still useful ($10 donation gets you 50,000).

I'll donate for sure :)

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
One thing I'm going to do if I ever get a Pi 4 is not load it with every complete romset I have. That was fun for the novelty of it at first, and curating what I put on there will take time, but there's a ton of poo poo on 16-bit consoles and down that I will never ever play, and I'm not a big "shuffle and play a random game" guy. At least scraping will be significantly easier!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What is scraping?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Len posted:

What is scraping?

It's when you connect to a server thing online that automatically applies all those fancy box arts/screen shots/game details of the stuff you have installed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Policenaut posted:

It's when you connect to a server thing online that automatically applies all those fancy box arts/screen shots/game details of the stuff you have installed.

Oh neat

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Len posted:

Oh neat

It's awesome but if you throw say a full SNES romset at it it takes a while.
It makes a massive difference though to how cool everything is

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RichterIX posted:

One thing I'm going to do if I ever get a Pi 4 is not load it with every complete romset I have. That was fun for the novelty of it at first, and curating what I put on there will take time, but there's a ton of poo poo on 16-bit consoles and down that I will never ever play, and I'm not a big "shuffle and play a random game" guy. At least scraping will be significantly easier!

I curated MAME quite a bit with this build, found a program that generated lists to trim out roms that required light guns, trackballs, etc. I kept all the console roms because, why not, I generally just play off the favorites list anyway.

peter gabriel posted:

It's awesome but if you throw say a full SNES romset at it it takes a while.
It makes a massive difference though to how cool everything is

You can scrape directly from RetroPie but it's terrible and takes forever and breaks. You can use Steven Selph's scraper from Raspian which will scrape data from the GamesDB or some other places but I've found they're down half the time. I had mentioned Skyscraper earlier which seems to be much more reliable, but only allows 10,000 scrapes per day. A one time $10 Patreon donation to Screensraper.fr gives you 50,000 scrapes along with the ability to use 5-6 threads so it's much faster. It took a couple days for my account to sync and it does require a little config editing but well worth it, it found all of the metadata for everything I had.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Game Sack on YouTube has a good "Left in the arcade" series with lots of good suggestions for oddball mame stuff, almost always pretty under the radar stuff. Like JJ Squawkers which is quite the trip.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Today's haul, got a heatsink and fans, I had to go for this so it fits under the pi 2 scart, hopefully it's OK.
And a keyboard with trackpad, seems nice enough so far

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If you haven't pulled the trigger on an RPi4 yet, they now have an 8 gig RAM model (and I believe have phased out the 1 gig model since it was the same price as the 2 gig anyway).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

univbee posted:

If you haven't pulled the trigger on an RPi4 yet, they now have an 8 gig RAM model (and I believe have phased out the 1 gig model since it was the same price as the 2 gig anyway).

Well gently caress.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

univbee posted:

But do they have cool retro gaming cases for the rPi4? I have the cool little snes case for my retro pie 3b+, and the 4 seems like such a huge upgrade

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

But do they have cool retro gaming cases for the rPi4? I have the cool little snes case for my retro pie 3b+, and the 4 seems like such a huge upgrade

Vilros has several, here's one of them:

https://vilros.com/collections/rasp...snes-style-case

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

:goonsay: but that is not a SNES I have ever seen

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

univbee posted:

Bollocks; I just bought a 4gb a few weeks ago after giving away my old 3b+.

But I have a nice NES case for it :)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

Bollocks; I just bought a 4gb a few weeks ago after giving away my old 3b+.

But I have a nice NES case for it :)

Its ok, according to youtube comments nobody needs a 8GB anyway

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is the Raspberry Pi 4 up to speed on most emulators through like N64? Last time I was looking into getting one I think development was behind on the 4 series so I was being gently guided towards something like a Shield for better emulation of some of the more graphically intense stuff like N64/Dreamcast. Followup question, is the new 8GB Pi 4 going to make much of a difference if all I'm using this thing for is emulating old games?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

:goonsay: but that is not a SNES I have ever seen

Yeah I think they just have the wrong image for that particular SKU. One of their other SKUs has a SNES style case.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I dont think the RAM will make too much of a difference for emulation purposes but it should help with basic functionality if you plan to use it for other applications.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kazvall posted:

I dont think the RAM will make too much of a difference for emulation purposes but it should help with basic functionality if you plan to use it for other applications.

Thanks for the confirmation, I ordered the 4GB yesterday because I figured this would be the case. Looking forward to messing around with this thing!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kazvall posted:

Pshaw look at this pleb who doesn't buy overpowered tech for simple processes.

I envy those of you that can look at a Pi and say "Well, it's only $10 more for the upgraded model, but I really don't need it. Now to go have a moderate portion sized lunch and drink no more than one alcoholic beverage per hour."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The trick to the latter is bigger drinks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
From what it sounds like, the 8GB amount would be good if you plan to use the pi as a standalone computer, and want to browse the internet with multiple tabs open.

For emulation only, 4GB is plenty, since the holdup will be the CPU (you'll likely want to overclock to get the best framerates on dreamcast, so get a case that has a decent heatsink / fan).

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Goldeneye still stutters like hell on my pi4 4gb.

But that's not a bad thing because it means people will want to play good games instead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

seiferguy posted:

From what it sounds like, the 8GB amount would be good if you plan to use the pi as a standalone computer, and want to browse the internet with multiple tabs open.

For emulation only, 4GB is plenty, since the holdup will be the CPU (you'll likely want to overclock to get the best framerates on dreamcast, so get a case that has a decent heatsink / fan).

Is it easy to OC a Pi for someone who is passably okay with computers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Len posted:

Is it easy to OC a Pi for someone who is passably okay with computers?

Its real simple, but a Pi4 will need active cooling.

https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/how-to-overclock-raspberry-pi-4