Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Medullah posted:

I've got a Dreamcast joystick you can have for shipping if you want (it's not the really good one)

Sweet but without the Mayflash to convert I won't be able to use it. Freaking Retrofighters have a pad out but its not USB. Thank you though.
Do yall use images? I have the "Rick Dangerous" 256gb build now. Its ok. There is a 512 "vman" image but I don't like his little weird cult and bullshit. I'd keep this image I have, dd it to the bigger card, then modify the game lists more to my tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

excellent bird guy posted:

Do yall use images? I have the "Rick Dangerous" 256gb build now. Its ok. There is a 512 "vman" image but I don't like his little weird cult and bullshit. I'd keep this image I have, dd it to the bigger card, then modify the game lists more to my tastes.

This is the first I've heard of them. Did a search for the 'Rick Dangerous 256gb build' you mentioned, and I found this video. It looks like it's a got a pretty good selection of games (although it seems like you'd need more than 256GB for all of that). I imagine if something you want to play isn't included, you can still add it in somehow.

Don't know what the story is behind 'vman' but it sounds like drama.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Max Wilco posted:

This is the first I've heard of them. Did a search for the 'Rick Dangerous 256gb build' you mentioned, and I found this video. It looks like it's a got a pretty good selection of games (although it seems like you'd need more than 256GB for all of that). I imagine if something you want to play isn't included, you can still add it in somehow.

Don't know what the story is behind 'vman' but it sounds like drama.

That build is huge on PSX and DC. It also has lots of neat Scumm games, and dos. I am not trying to shill for any one image in particular, but generally speaking I enjoy the preconfigured nature in comparison to building your own from vanilla.
edit: adding in games is easy. Either ssh from linux/osx, or windows will have some type of drag n drop method.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 8, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Building your own RetroPie image is 90% of the fun! Heck, I've built like 4 for friends and myself and I've spent way more time setting them up than actually playing them.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Medullah posted:

Building your own RetroPie image is 90% of the fun! Heck, I've built like 4 for friends and myself and I've spent way more time setting them up than actually playing them.

Do tell your secrets :) I know the filesystem/cli pretty well. I like a very minimal theme, with just a few scripts. The random game video screensaver is awesome. Of course the wheel, and gamelist complete with reviews. It would be fun to add gamefaqs reviews in there, by editing the xml file. Other than rompacks, the bells and whistles mostly are just annoying.

edit: this paragraph contained me complaining about a really choppy framerate. But after I installed a new case + heatsink, messed around with removing/adding the hdmi device to the fancy tv and everything is jim dandy right now.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 9, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
So, here is my question. All the dosbox games on my preconfigured image are in .conf format.
My actual dos games are a directory with tons of data, the bat files, the exe files. How could I get all that data into a neat .conf package for emulationstation to recognize?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Haven't looked but id imagine a "dosbox file" is a disk image with DOS installed, the game, and maybe the autexec.bat file in the image set to launch the game?

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's a documented format.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

So, here is my question. All the dosbox games on my preconfigured image are in .conf format.
My actual dos games are a directory with tons of data, the bat files, the exe files. How could I get all that data into a neat .conf package for emulationstation to recognize?

Dosbox conf files aren't packages, they're just..well basically batches that support Dosbox commands too.

i.e.

quote:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

mount c "/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/.data/Berusky.pc"
c:
BERUSKY.EXE
EXIT

For whatever reason on those images like Rick Dangerous (which I'm giving a go now and it's nice enough), .data is marked as hidden so you'll need to type it into the address bar in Windows Explorer or turn on hidden files. If you're browsing with SFTP it might just show up, I can't remember how those folders work exactly right now.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Holy poo poo, so after loving around with retropie on a pi 3b for years, and trying emulation station/retroarch and hyperspin/rocket launcher via windows, but never quite loving the experience, I stumbled across batocera, which is basically an x86/x64 fork of retropie, with a nice theme preinstalled.

I threw it at a HP SFF desktop machine with an i7 4790 in it that I had lying around, and it plays up to PSX/N64 games perfectly with the integrated gpu - I imagine with a decent 2-3 generation old discrete graphics card you'd be able to get PS2 and WiiU games going with no problemo.

It you have an old pc taking up space I definitely recommend looking at it. It boots nearly instantly even on a mechanical hdd, has dualshock 3 compatibility out of the box and smb shares for dumping your ROM libraries onboard just like retropie. If you already have a pi4 that probably makes plenty of sense, but if not this is a really drat good solution.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dosbox conf files aren't packages, they're just..well basically batches that support Dosbox commands too.

i.e.

For whatever reason on those images like Rick Dangerous (which I'm giving a go now and it's nice enough), .data is marked as hidden so you'll need to type it into the address bar in Windows Explorer or turn on hidden files. If you're browsing with SFTP it might just show up, I can't remember how those folders work exactly right now.

Nice, yea I am in PuTTy right now. It's not great but it puts you right in the file system. Plus a really lovely shell file to move files or add the -r to scp to move folders.

code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "files to move"
read -r file
echo "directory to move the file into"
read -r newdir
scp $file [email]pi@192.168.foo.bar[/email]:/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/$newdir
Um so I followed the protocol of the other files but I have install.exe which I tried to point to in *.conf, nothing happens. Tried sc2000._ which is a binary and nothing happens. I'd hate to play the guess and check game of going down every file to see what actually loads sim city 2000 into dosbox.
edit: lovely forum wants to put [email] tags around my code

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 10, 2020

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So instead of just porting their NES case to fit the new Raspberry Pi 4 Retroflag went the extra mile and made the fake NES cart actually house a 2.5 SSD drive that fits to the Raspberry Pi 4 through one of the USB 3.0 slots along with fan/power supply/on-off button.

ETA Prime has a really good review of the whole unit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkqtE5nqnxg

Can't decided to get this at the end of the month or wait for a (maybe) SNES version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm still real happy with my Mega Drive 1 style case that RetroFlag made, aside from my own dumb self crushing a microSD in it. They make good stuff.

Um so I followed the protocol of the other files but I have install.exe which I tried to point to in *.conf, nothing happens. Tried sc2000._ which is a binary and nothing happens. I'd hate to play the guess and check game of going down every file to see what actually loads sim city 2000 into dosbox.
edit: lovely forum wants to put [email] tags around my code

Can you post the contents of your conf and the directory structure of your roms/pc/ dir?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

Can you post the contents of your conf and the directory structure of your roms/pc/ dir?

Sure thing, sorry PuTTy is so ugly with the font. Just comparing the simcity I made to Xwing which came preinstalled

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Sure thing, sorry PuTTy is so ugly with the font. Just comparing the simcity I made to Xwing which came preinstalled

You might have better luck installing it first using dosbox on another system, then copying the installed files over instead of the installer. Or using the dosbox commamd line there, then remapping the .conf file to the installed location.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Well, I had my RetroPi quit working today for the second time since I built it. I was playing Bust a Move, decided to quit, and found that my hotkey buttons weren't responding (but everything in-game worked fine, so it wasn't a controller issue). I pulled the power cable, let it sit a few seconds, and plugged it back in. And... red light from the pi, no video signal.

This happened once before, shortly after I built the thing. Both times I had to re-image the SD card and then re-configure everything and re-transfer all the ROMs.

I know the proper methodology with Linux is to always shut down properly, but it seems kind of crazy that this has happened twice in less than a year. Is it really that fragile? Or does my Pi have some kind of hardware issue? It has been rock solid except when it loses power unexpectedly.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Nah, it happens all the time if it doesn’t shut down right. If you happen to have a second SD card and a USB SD card reader, you can sometimes fix the bad one from the command line instead of reimaging.

If you’re not using a safe shutdown button/script combo, you can shut it down with a keyboard or sshing into it if it’s set up right.

I have one particular setup I was tinkering with that was killing the SD card constantly, even with the safe shutdown on the Retroflag SNES case. And it was the same Samsung Evo card I used on a bunch of other stuff (ordered 1 from Amazon, they sent me a box of 10) so I couldn’t get it figured out before I got sidetracked with other stuff.

But definitely don’t pull the plug. I’ve heard using USB storage (not a flash drive, an SSD or HD) instead of an SD card to boot can be a bit more stable, and there’s some way to mount the system read only to minimize damage if it happens, but I don’t know enough to know if it works for Retropie or just other setups.

And once you’ve got a setup just how you want it, back up the card.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hm..not sure! I'll grab my GOG copy of SC2k or whatever and replicate what you did, see what happens.

e: Worked for me, I used the SimCity 2000 Collection CD-ROM, dropped the files into \roms\pc\.data\SC2k.pc, then made the same conf you did but with the directory to match where I put it (though I added the exit line so that Dosbox will quit back to ES after execution). The installer booted just fine.

Might be worth running Dosbox and doing the conf commands yourself to see what happens.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 12, 2020

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've got an rpi4 and a LattePanda alpha - a considerably more powerful device - unused in a desk drawer.

I'm trying to decide if it's overkill to use the LP Alpha for retroarch in Win10 or if I'll get better performance from the Pi4 as it's more common and has better support due to the user base.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you use some variant of Debian Linux on the lattepanda then it won't be that much different in setup than the Pi 4. You won't be able to use ARM-specific ports of emulators, but you also won't need to and the Core m3 is capable enough of handling many pcsx2/dolphin games and more accurate, low level emulators.

RetroPie is borked on PC at the moment, their installer seems to assume an ARM architecture when compiling some emulators. Lakka has working generic x86 builds, though.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 16, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I remember getting ROMs of games i owned back in 1996 and using NESticle to run them. It was completely baffling to me that it took Nintendo to finally pay attention somewhere around 2017.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

WhiteHowler posted:

Well, I had my RetroPi quit working today for the second time since I built it. I was playing Bust a Move, decided to quit, and found that my hotkey buttons weren't responding (but everything in-game worked fine, so it wasn't a controller issue). I pulled the power cable, let it sit a few seconds, and plugged it back in. And... red light from the pi, no video signal.

This happened once before, shortly after I built the thing. Both times I had to re-image the SD card and then re-configure everything and re-transfer all the ROMs.

I know the proper methodology with Linux is to always shut down properly, but it seems kind of crazy that this has happened twice in less than a year. Is it really that fragile? Or does my Pi have some kind of hardware issue? It has been rock solid except when it loses power unexpectedly.
And it just happened again, this time with no unexpected power loss. I shut down from the EmulationStation menu and waited for the Pi to stop sending a video signal before I unplugged it.

I think there must be something wrong with my Pi hardware. Re-flashing the SD card always fixes it, so maybe there's some weird over/undervolt issue or something. I'm using the power supply that came with the enclosure, which was specifically made for the Pi3 B+ (5v, 2.5A).

This is really frustrating.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 17, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/08/libretro-retroarch-were-hacked-wiping-some-repositories/page=1#r187811

retroarch, hacked? Don't update.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's nothing to update (due to buildbot being cactus). They didn't put anything up, they just wiped what was there. There's nothing malicious to be downloaded.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

SCheeseman posted:

RetroPie is borked on PC at the moment, their installer seems to assume an ARM architecture when compiling some emulators. Lakka has working generic x86 builds, though.

Try batocera, it's a really solid fork that works brilliantly on old PCs and comes mostly set up and ready to go out of the box - just dump your ROMs in via smb, scrape from within the UI and listen to chiptunes while it makes everything pretty for you. Beats the poo poo out of trying to run emulationstation on windows, and I'm pretty sure it comes with all the retroarch cores preloaded so it should get you through until they fix their poo poo up, with luck.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's nothing to update (due to buildbot being cactus). They didn't put anything up, they just wiped what was there. There's nothing malicious to be downloaded.

Oh nice, and I hear that most of the sources are back in place. Seems like a really odd target to be malicious towards? Oh and about SC2000 that we were talking about, after you mentioned a GOG version I just went and got that instead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Did that end up working?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Im thinking about getting a carrying case so I can quickly take this little guy places, anyone know a good case that'll hold the wires, pi4, and two WiiU pro controllers?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Im thinking about getting a carrying case so I can quickly take this little guy places, anyone know a good case that'll hold the wires, pi4, and two WiiU pro controllers?

I just use a small, well constructed box, right now it's the one my Motherboard came in.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did that end up working?

I just played it on Not the Pi because, well I got my fill of sc2000 in an afternoon. When or if i bother to do any more transfers I'll probably talk about it here. I'm almost out of room on my 256card, just a few gigs left. I talk to the dude that is putting together the image I use, so I'm happy to let him do all the janitoring while I just play suikoden everyday.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 22, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Len posted:

A small laptop bag might do the trick.

I just played it on Not the Pi because, well I got my fill of sc2000 in an afternoon. When or if i bother to do any more transfers I'll probably talk about it here. I'm almost out of room on my 256card, just a few gigs left. I talk to the dude that is putting together the image I use, so I'm happy to let him do all the janitoring while I just play suikoden everyday.

Mm, fair enough.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm posting this here because it's retro game related and rpi related and I need some help:

I have a raspberry pi 3b with DreamPi installed. It's a tool to let the Dreamcast get online without needing an actual dial up connection.

Anyway, I'm trying to get it to work with a wireless USB adapter I bought. It's this one specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H28H8DU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_1qZQRnoEmW9LK

When I run ifconfig, it doesn't list any wireless adapters as available (just eth and lo).

From reading reviews this should be supported out of the box but is there something im missing?

Edit: I ended up getting a CannaKit WiFi single and was able to get it working!

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 11, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got an old laptop with a discrete GPU, is there any way I could use a RasPi as a thin client so I can tuck the laptop away? The fan is unbearingly loud.

mewse
May 2, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

I've got an old laptop with a discrete GPU, is there any way I could use a RasPi as a thin client so I can tuck the laptop away? The fan is unbearingly loud.

There’s a steam link build for raspi that will let you run games on the laptop but play on the pi

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mewse posted:

There’s a steam link build for raspi that will let you run games on the laptop but play on the pi

Oooooh, tell me more

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ultimate Mango posted:

Oooooh, tell me more

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-use-a-raspberry-pi-and-steam-link-to-stream-pc-games-to-your-tv

If you've got a Nvidia card I really like Moonlight, it seems to work faster than Steamlink on my Retropie.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Oooooh, tell me more

I got retropie set up with a newer bluetooth xbox one controller which was a bit of a pain in the rear end - it needs a custom kernel driver called xpadneo to work 100% flawlessly (may have changed by now, this was about a year ago), but the huge thing for me was that it was working with the built in bluetooth on the pi, no usb dongle.

When the steam link software for raspi was released, they bundled it in the "ports" collection of retropie and it was extremely easy to install and just became a menu entry in the "ports" section of the retropie ui.

The steam link software detected the xbox one controller and Just Worked for launching games on my gaming pc across the house - keyboard and mouse work automatically.

All of this was on a pi 3b+, the 4 should work just as well but I don't have one

pojr
Nov 4, 2014
i recently bought a Pi 4 and setup RetroPie on it. i used to be one of those guys that was against roms and poo poo, but i dont have the bookshelf room for games anymore lmao. plus, buying poo poo is expensive.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
A Retropie is worth it if you do any bit of traveling since you can pack so many great titles in such a small package and throw the whole thing into a bag. All you need is the powersupply, retropie with case, and a controller.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Hey guys, I’ve never messed with raspberry pi before but I ordered a PiBoy DMG from Experimental Pi expecting it to be a good way to get started with it.

It finally came in today and the thing just won’t boot at all out of the box. I popped out the provided microSD card and put it back in, and it turned on. It went right to the emulation station front-end no problem, and I played some shareware Doom to see that everything was working. I selected “shut down” in the emulation station UI (I wasn’t sure if I should just flip the switch for a hard shutdown).

Five minutes later I went to turn it on again, and it won’t boot. Tried removing and reinserting the microSD card again, nothing. The power light doesn’t go on, the fan doesn’t spin up, the screen doesn’t blink, just totally inert.

Is there something I should know about turning this on or shutting it down, or is this unit defective? It comes with zero documentation.

mewse
May 2, 2006

AdmiralViscen posted:

Hey guys, I’ve never messed with raspberry pi before but I ordered a PiBoy DMG from Experimental Pi expecting it to be a good way to get started with it.

It finally came in today and the thing just won’t boot at all out of the box. I popped out the provided microSD card and put it back in, and it turned on. It went right to the emulation station front-end no problem, and I played some shareware Doom to see that everything was working. I selected “shut down” in the emulation station UI (I wasn’t sure if I should just flip the switch for a hard shutdown).

Five minutes later I went to turn it on again, and it won’t boot. Tried removing and reinserting the microSD card again, nothing. The power light doesn’t go on, the fan doesn’t spin up, the screen doesn’t blink, just totally inert.

Is there something I should know about turning this on or shutting it down, or is this unit defective? It comes with zero documentation.

The pi itself doesn't have a power switch. Aftermarket cases with a power switch that advertise "safe shutdown" do it with a special shell script installed on the pi OS.

Your situation is even more complicated because I presume there is a battery involved.

I'd suggest pulling the pi to make sure that's not defective, then making sure the shell's battery has a full charge, then working forward from there. They will probably ask you to do a firmware update on the shell as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Retropie can be very easy to corrupt if not shut down properly.

I dont even show people my rasp pi based handhelds because the first time I did the person checking it out hit the power button without doing safe shut down and I had to reflash the sd card.

In this case, I would recommend that. Do you have a sd to usb adapter?