Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Is there a guide to doing a retro pie installation on a pi 4 that you can launch as an application from within the OS? I don’t want to lose the ability to take this off the TV and use it as a mini desktop, and as my only non-work non-iOS device it needs to build itself, so to speak.

I tried once using the desktop installation instructions from the site but it seemed to wipe a lot of programs already installed and hard locked. Had to cycle power to restart, assume I corrupted the card, and needed a fresh install from noobs.

Alternately are there any emulators or front ends besides retro pie that are recommended on a pi 4? I’d like to move this between tinkering on my desk/monitors and throwing the whole thing up on the big TV launched into a dedicated front end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Why not just use separate SD cards then?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I unplug my retropie... probably too often. I try to go through the Shut Down option in the menu but there have been plenty of times where it went unresponsive and my only recourse was to pull the cord. Less so now that I have most things figured out, but I really don't want to deal with setting it back up the way it is now. Though, for all the times I've forcefully cut the power it's never exhibited any lasting issues.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah I make backups of the SD card any time I make any change I don't want to lose (saved games, etc). I've had it corrupt a few times.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Docker?

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Are they even gonnna just build a pi that has a proper on/off switch or is this just too much to ask?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Killswitch posted:

Are they even gonnna just build a pi that has a proper on/off switch or is this just too much to ask?

The canakit I bought came with one!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Killswitch posted:

That's the thing, most of these single board computers are designed for you to buy a power switch and slap the pins onto the gpio. It's not usually a problem, regardless, except for certain builds of retropie will get corrupted without proper shutdown. The point being that it takes about 5 minutes to flash the OS onto the SD card again, if something goes wrong, so not the end of the world. Unless you can't get to the sd card, then it sucks!

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003

King Bahamut posted:

Alternately are there any emulators or front ends besides retro pie that are recommended on a pi 4? I’d like to move this between tinkering on my desk/monitors and throwing the whole thing up on the big TV launched into a dedicated front end

Bumping this, I'm using Mednaffe (GUI frontend for mednafen) and it emulates well and the GUI recognizes my 8bitdo controller, but that doesn't seem to pass through to the emulator instance. Everything I've fired up runs at full speed, but no input hits the emulator instance. Any ideas, or any desktop launched emulator suggestions? I think my best case is I get the pi to boot to command line and launch into either the desktop GUI or Retropie from there?

Additionally, anyone have a suggestion for a utility to unpack or otherwise browse/transfer files from an .ISO? This isn't a pi instance, but I'm thinking a data DVD image (6 gigs or so)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You should be able to just mount an iso in any system.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

On the subject of corrupt microSD cards, what's the best system (classic console, RPi alternative) where this isn't a real risk? It's a problem fundamental to RetroPie itself right?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

a pc, i'd imagine

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

univbee posted:

On the subject of corrupt microSD cards, what's the best system (classic console, RPi alternative) where this isn't a real risk? It's a problem fundamental to RetroPie itself right?

It's a byproduct of a few things - ext isn't as kind to sudden power loss as say, FAT or NTFS are (dunno about AFS or whatever because lol), people can use bodgy power supplies that can't quite handle the load they're needing and dip a little (newer Pis are better about this I think) and..yeah, probably a bit on the RetroPie end too. There's plenty of people who've had the same problem with vanilla Raspian or RPIOS I guess it's now called.

Vita and 3DS tend to be pretty stable, I find, also the Wii and Xbox. And PC of course.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

a pc, i'd imagine

Yeah I love my Retropie and enjoy showing off all the work I did configuring it, but ultimately I ended up using an old PC as a dedicated machine for emulation. Bonus that it can actually handle a lot of new games so the primary menu is set up as a fighting game box.

Video of the setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQDO-0nYtVM

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
How are the Freeway Zero/CM3 kits? The price seems steep once you add in everything you would want.

Any other retro handhelds worth looking at?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The Argon ONE M.2 Case for Raspberry Pi 4 case allows using a M.2 SSD drive (along with booting from the SSD drive) which should be a lot more stable then a MicroSD. I'm not sure if the power management modes the site keeps talking about means safe shutdown through.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Numlock posted:

How are the Freeway Zero/CM3 kits? The price seems steep once you add in everything you would want.

Any other retro handhelds worth looking at?

Do you want to build one? I have an extra cm3 kit, with super famicom style gba shell and buttons.

I've had it for like a year, I dont mind taking a hit on it compared to what you could purchase it for now. I'm not sure I'll have time to put it together, i have a billion projects.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I'll pass, I'm in the same boat of just having to many things to do.

Also there's a chance I might still recover my old GBA from the huge horde of crap my parents still have in storage, and I mostly just want to mess with it for nostalgia purposes.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
My pi 4 retropie setup works great connected to a monitor via an HDMI to VGA adapter, running the frontend at 60FPS and the emulators are smooth. When I move to my tv (LG 4K OLED) framerate craters (ameliorated by launching emulationstation from console on a clean boot and additional VRAM allocation) and the games display absolutely brutal screen tearing. I think they're running at speed--audio is fine--but the visuals render things nearly unplayable. Is there a particular resolution/aspect ratio I can force the emulator cores into that will help? I've read that the issue is due to either sync rates too high or too low for the display, or systems not designed for square pixels breaking unless they're outputting in a format that scales up by whole numbers to the display. Do I force 4:3 and SD and let the TV do the work?

mewse
May 2, 2006

King Bahamut posted:

My pi 4 retropie setup works great connected to a monitor via an HDMI to VGA adapter, running the frontend at 60FPS and the emulators are smooth. When I move to my tv (LG 4K OLED) framerate craters (ameliorated by launching emulationstation from console on a clean boot and additional VRAM allocation) and the games display absolutely brutal screen tearing. I think they're running at speed--audio is fine--but the visuals render things nearly unplayable. Is there a particular resolution/aspect ratio I can force the emulator cores into that will help? I've read that the issue is due to either sync rates too high or too low for the display, or systems not designed for square pixels breaking unless they're outputting in a format that scales up by whole numbers to the display. Do I force 4:3 and SD and let the TV do the work?

It's probably "helpfully" detecting the native res of your tv as 4k and setting that as the resolution, and if you force it down to 1080p or 720p it will be fine. Just a guess.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003

mewse posted:

It's probably "helpfully" detecting the native res of your tv as 4k and setting that as the resolution, and if you force it down to 1080p or 720p it will be fine. Just a guess.

This worked perfectly, thanks.

Anyone familiar with where the current settings for fast forward, rewind, and rebinding hotkeys is on the lastest build of retropie for the 4? I see a ton of resources for how to enable on older versions, and the rewind enable menu setting is easy enough to find, but the binding section isn't anywhere resembling the tutorials I can see.

Additionally, any Neo Geo guidance would be valuable. I know I need to source a BIOS and put it in the file, but anything I can read up on how to format that .zip file or "match" the roms to the bios version would be appreciated. I have a solid romset downloaded and the unibios from http://unibios.free.fr/download.html but for the life of me I can't get anything going

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I would pay $300-$600 for a particle board arcade cabinet that fits together IKEA style, BYO controls/screen/raspberry pi or pc. seems like this should be a thing

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

John Romero posted:

I would pay $300-$600 for a particle board arcade cabinet that fits together IKEA style, BYO controls/screen/raspberry pi or pc. seems like this should be a thing

Microcenter has them

You can also easily mod an Arcade1up cabinet but they're tiny.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I gotta smuggle this into Canada somehow

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
Running Retropie on a 4, every time I attempt to load a Neo Geo game I get the dialog box then immediately go back to the emulationstation menu. Reading around has conditioned me to believe this is a BIOS issue, but the BIOS that comes with the romset as well as both versions of the Unibios fail to drive any different behavior. Switching emulator cores does not change anything. Every link I find on this issue refers to a prior version of the hardware or software and generally only refers to making the BIOS match anyways. Any recommendations, or does anyone have this working on a pi 4?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

King Bahamut posted:

Running Retropie on a 4, every time I attempt to load a Neo Geo game I get the dialog box then immediately go back to the emulationstation menu. Reading around has conditioned me to believe this is a BIOS issue, but the BIOS that comes with the romset as well as both versions of the Unibios fail to drive any different behavior. Switching emulator cores does not change anything. Every link I find on this issue refers to a prior version of the hardware or software and generally only refers to making the BIOS match anyways. Any recommendations, or does anyone have this working on a pi 4?

Are there any messages in /dev/shm/runcommand.log after you try to launch NeoGeo?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I recently picked up a Pi 400 which is pretty good even if every single Amiga type image thingie doesn't work on it right now.

But pro tip? BATOCERA IS BETTER THAN RETRO PIE. 29 beta mk works fine albeit doesn't want to connect via wifi. There have been at least 2 release candidates since but i will wait for live or just for V30. Great interface, doesn't get in the way too much. At least for console stuff I've putzed with its drat legit. Mame stuff is a bit of a hassle but way more works out of the box than Retropie Mame. (Except for Robotron 2084. Bato just doesn't seem to want to dual stick.)

I also have Lineage OS which is a Android os so if you are like me with my tablet you can bring over most of your android stuff. Its a bit of a pain to set up but its solid after. Some of the paid emulation I have for it works fine. Plus in a few ways its a nice simple os for file transfers and management.

Unbuntu is a bit slow and pokey but it looks nice as an os. Fs Uae looks nice but the audio output is kind of rear end. But that could possibly be Unbuntus fault. I haven't messed much with Pi OS but its not as pretty as Unbuntu. But they just did some audio tweaks so I might check out UAE in there should there be a nice version to use.

(I have overclocking set in Pi OS and Lineage. Lineage was easy to do. Pi OS you kind of need to follow Eta Primes video on it. I should probably look and see if Unbuntu can allow relatively easy overclocking and if 2ghz is just what it ordered. Or wait for the next version which is rumored to have a lot of Pi performance enhancements.)

I have also managed to get at least 1 Genesis to usb dongle to work in a few of the above when one wants to use older joysticks and game pads. Sadly my PS1 dongle does not.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah Pi OS is just a Debian fork with LXDE, it's pretty spartan, but it's lightweight enough and that's what's used in all their courses for kids and stuff, it works well enough for that.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Captain Rufus posted:

But pro tip? BATOCERA IS BETTER THAN RETRO PIE. 29 beta mk works fine albeit doesn't want to connect via wifi. There have been at least 2 release candidates since but i will wait for live or just for V30. Great interface, doesn't get in the way too much. At least for console stuff I've putzed with its drat legit. Mame stuff is a bit of a hassle but way more works out of the box than Retropie Mame. (Except for Robotron 2084. Bato just doesn't seem to want to dual stick.)

I wish I could get the Batocera version of Emulation Station working on Retropie. And maybe all the default bezels.

I've been playing with Batocera on an old mini x86 PC, but the CPU in it can just barely handle PSX and anything above that is no good. I've got parts for a Pi 4 Retropie coming in, but I'm not sure which setup to use. The main thing is I'm getting a DeskPi case, and I'm worried about getting the power/fan script working on Batocera. It looks like they have built in scripts for other power button solutions, and I know I can ssh into a terminal, but I'm not sure if I can download & use the script.

And not being able to add cores bothers me a bit, like I may not play Channel F games often, but I would like to have them there. And it seems like the Pi 4 may be supporting Gamecube soon, and I'd definitely like to add that on as soon as it's available vs waiting for a new release.

I'm leaning towards dumping a pre-made Retropie image on it and switching to the Pegasus frontend to see how that works out, I usually wind up tinkering with these things anyway.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Having also come from retropie first, batocera and thusly recalbox are both very nice. It can highly depend on setup and what the OS supports, of course.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My sister said she wanted to play some classic NES/SNES, so I decided to pull out an unused Pi 3 that I had since upgraded from to give to her. I wanted to make it foolproof so I cleaned it up a bit (changed the theme) and wanted to scrape it, but the scraper wasn't working, so I did an update to retropie itself.

This update is taking forever, just constant "preparing to unpack x, unpacking x" going down. Its been going like this for probably half an hour or so. Is this normal?

On the flip side, the 8bitDo SNES replica controllers are fantastic. I wish I had this when I was first playing!

mewse
May 2, 2006

seiferguy posted:

My sister said she wanted to play some classic NES/SNES, so I decided to pull out an unused Pi 3 that I had since upgraded from to give to her. I wanted to make it foolproof so I cleaned it up a bit (changed the theme) and wanted to scrape it, but the scraper wasn't working, so I did an update to retropie itself.

This update is taking forever, just constant "preparing to unpack x, unpacking x" going down. Its been going like this for probably half an hour or so. Is this normal?

On the flip side, the 8bitDo SNES replica controllers are fantastic. I wish I had this when I was first playing!

Trying to update one of my retropies basically killed it

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Does anyone know if the pi4 is powerful enough to run emulators with run-ahead to reduce latency? If so does anyone with experience advise which consoles / emulators are supported? Interested in setting up one of these if latency can be mitigated.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bonobos posted:

Does anyone know if the pi4 is powerful enough to run emulators with run-ahead to reduce latency? If so does anyone with experience advise which consoles / emulators are supported? Interested in setting up one of these if latency can be mitigated.

18 month old blogpost at this point so things might be a bit better now, but

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-runahead-and-raspberry-pi-4-the-results-are-in/

Yeah, at least for GBA/SNES/SMD.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

18 month old blogpost at this point so things might be a bit better now, but

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-runahead-and-raspberry-pi-4-the-results-are-in/

Yeah, at least for GBA/SNES/SMD.

This is great news. Thank you so much. I have a pi coming in I would love to try this out on. I wonder if they got run ahead working in name too? Would love to play some old arcade games with less latency.

Does the thread recommend any precooked images with emulators already set up from arcadepunks or similar, or are those not kosher because they include rom files?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
It kind of wash to get anything off ArcadePunks cause its all "128 gigs of ALL the ROMS with videos!" and gah, 90% of them are junk that you'll only play like once or even that. The only decent premade I've every seen was the Retropie B.A.S.E (Best Amalgamated Sytem Emulation) that had the top 100 games for each system but that was for Retropie version 3/Raspberrypie 3 so I'm not sure how that would work on Raspberry Pi 4 after doing all the updates.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah, I've been dicking around with emulation for 20 years and while it's always fun to have EVERY GAME EVER, I always end up with a list of favorites and just play those.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Yeah...the only annoying thing to set up is arcade rom. I have never really figured out that voodoo making the rest of the full set of games worthless on the various images. Honestly at this point I really only want to play Rom Hacks so I need to manually scrape any way.

If your having problems with the default scrapper there are a couple of different one's under Optional Packages. I personally like Steven Selphs and there are a couple of tools that you can run on Windows that will connect to a Retropie on the same network.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BexGu posted:

Yeah...the only annoying thing to set up is arcade rom. I have never really figured out that voodoo making the rest of the full set of games worthless on the various images. Honestly at this point I really only want to play Rom Hacks so I need to manually scrape any way.

If your having problems with the default scrapper there are a couple of different one's under Optional Packages. I personally like Steven Selphs and there are a couple of tools that you can run on Windows that will connect to a Retropie on the same network.

I ended up paying for the membership at https://www.screenscraper.fr/ for scraping. Much faster than even Steven's with a lot less errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2vdANcCFso i was watching this video, i've recently ordered an rgb pi scart cable for use with my 3B, at around the 14:27 mark he shows the pi playing some old looney tunes videos on his crt. i can't find much information about this player online and my cable hasn't arrived yet so i can't check it, so how much can this player do? will it properly scale any video to 4:3 240p/480i like it does with the game consoles?

here's what i'd like to do: put a bunch of classic movies, like bergman or mizuguchi or maybe a whole bunch of beavis and butthead episodes on my sd card and play them on my CRT, is this feasible?