Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«128 »
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nappa is my ambition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So sortof a weird question.

When SFV came out a wise goon (whose name I've unfortunately forgotten) told me to practice a poke combo, a punish combo, an anti-air and basically use those constantly until I got used to them. Once I was happy, I'd add on another trick and keep going until I had a vaguely functional gameplan.

This actually seemed to work out really well for my Laura and I had her functional until I finally burnt out on SFV around four months in.

Is that the approach I should be taking here? There are a /lot/ of mechanics as far as I can tell and while I'm passable at fighting games I'm a little intimidated by everything.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

*~ayoo comin thru~*

Makes sense to me. I haven't played the beta but I pretty much give the same advice with Revelator (start with a hit confirm, anti air, dust combos). In DBZ there's built in auto combos (that are functional) that you can mash out and a lot of shared combo routes between characters apparently so it's probably pretty easy to have a basic toolkit up and running.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nappa is my ambition

Man, I can't wait to play this just to see the villain team loving around.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Natural 20 posted:

So sortof a weird question.

When SFV came out a wise goon (whose name I've unfortunately forgotten) told me to practice a poke combo, a punish combo, an anti-air and basically use those constantly until I got used to them. Once I was happy, I'd add on another trick and keep going until I had a vaguely functional gameplan.

This actually seemed to work out really well for my Laura and I had her functional until I finally burnt out on SFV around four months in.

Is that the approach I should be taking here? There are a /lot/ of mechanics as far as I can tell and while I'm passable at fighting games I'm a little intimidated by everything.

Yeah, a few of the mechanics here make it very easy to get started (mash auto-combo = poke/punish combo, 2C = universal anti-air, homing dash for quick approach). Just don't grow too dependent on them, I'd suggest once you settle on some characters and get the general feel of things, then move on to learning manual combos and more technical movement. Since it's a tag game, I'd also suggest calling assists and switching between characters at least a few times a match until you're used to having that as an option (this is the first tag game I'm trying to actually learn, so it's something I'm having to get used to). Then work on more game-specific mechanics one at a time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

He's the big guy.

I SURVIVED THE AWFUL BLOCK, AGDQ 2018

My approach for playing this game will be figuring out a basic combo that gives me oki/is meter-positive, a "gently caress it let's waste all the bars" kill combo, some setups from snapback and frametraps/how to convert from them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is my approach

https://twitter.com/Lythero/status/955471012879065089

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm going to practice for 4 hours in training mode then rage quit my first online game when I'm spawned on the right side instead of the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm going to practice for 4 hours in training mode then rage quit my first online game when I'm spawned on the right side instead of the left

homeboy

«128 »