Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«278 »
Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Intolerant Imperial meatshield.

raditts posted:

hey guys, I haven't played this game in like 2 months, is there any point in coming back or has the player base eroded to the tryhards who will combo me into oblivion

play blazblue xtag battle instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Ultramega posted:

play blazblue xtag battle instead

Yes that game that's out right now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

It's

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Why do you gotta be like that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now all animes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Dd0EaEbqg

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

loving dork.

Chaotic Flame
May 31, 2009

So...

Cross tag really did highlight my few grievances with dbfz, notably lack of defensive options and time for matches.

Still love it though.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at May 22, 2018 around 00:54

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chaotic Flame posted:

Cross tag really did highlight my few grievances with dbfz, notably lack of offensive options and time for matches.

Still love it though.

Do u mean defensive?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Fans always know better than the creators.

I've generally been enjoying DBFZ a lot as my first attempt at actually playing a for-reals fighting game, although I will admit it has some real issues, even if I can't tell if some are endemic to the genre, the developer, or the game itself. The main thing that irritates me is the lack of escape options for long combos; you get caught in some players' really practiced combos you might as well just put your controller down, because you're not getting out of that. Adult Gohan players seem to have this in spades, but they aren't the only ones I've had that trouble with.

But on a happier note, I have started winning matches, and I'm surprised how smart it makes me feel! I'm nowhere near being able to use most of the tools available to me, so I'm rarely actually controlling the fight, but I have started being able to find and exploit some people's weaknesses. And it's hard not to love when you start seeing 'this guy doesn't know how to handle my weirdly aggressive 16', 'this guy never learned how to block Cell's autocombos', and 'I don't think this guy's ever fought a Freiza at all' and actually have it work out!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bbxtag has the burst mechanic most arcsys air dashers have so you can usually once a round or every other round get one free out from a combo

Chaotic Flame
May 31, 2009

So...

Real hurthling! posted:

Do u mean defensive?

Yep, fixed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah it feels so much better realized on that side

Chaotic Flame
May 31, 2009

So...

Real hurthling! posted:

Bbxtag has the burst mechanic most arcsys air dashers have so you can usually once a round or every other round get one free out from a combo

It doesn't have burst but you can tag your partner in during a combo to break it at the cost of your tag meter. It refills quickly though, so you can do it multiple times a round usually. It can be punished though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Apparently Toei's making a semi-canon anime filler arc thingy out of one of the plotlines from Heroes, the awful arcade card game with all the bullshit fanservice characters, and Android 21 is in there as the love interest to edgelord evil Saiyan guy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Real hurthling! posted:

You can use it roughly 2+ times in a game because the burst just eats up two bars of the assist meter. It's pretty drat cool how you balance out "get out of this combo" against "be able to use my assist within the next ten seconds"

I would kill for that kind of burst in DBFZ

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

You won't have to kill for it but you will have to pay for it when they announce Super DBFZ.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Fans always know better than the creators.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Apparently Toei's making a semi-canon anime filler arc thingy out of one of the plotlines from Heroes, the awful arcade card game with all the bullshit fanservice characters, and Android 21 is in there as the love interest to edgelord evil Saiyan guy.

Poor guy; anyone who knows Android 21 knows that she's not there for his personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Cleretic posted:

I've generally been enjoying DBFZ a lot as my first attempt at actually playing a for-reals fighting game, although I will admit it has some real issues, even if I can't tell if some are endemic to the genre, the developer, or the game itself. The main thing that irritates me is the lack of escape options for long combos; you get caught in some players' really practiced combos you might as well just put your controller down, because you're not getting out of that.

How combo-escape is handled varies within the genre. Getting one burst out of a combo at least per match, sometimes more frequently, is often a thing, but there are other fighting games which are IMO much worse than DBFZ (ex. Fist of the North Star, UMvC3) regarding being stuck in long combos.

«278 »