Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Spending one of my wishes to resurrect this thread with news that season 3 of the game is looking really good so far while in development. Changes we've seen:

- 3 selectable assists for each character (hello MvC2/3);
- Dragon Rush snapping nerfed (characters from the snapped player pop in almost immediately, seems like there is no way to apply meaty pressure so neutral is established from the forced switch);
- Changes to how sparking works: instant spark activation (?) on the entrance of the final character, and spark "levels up" with extra time if a sparked character dies so the next character has more spark time;
- An update to the UI with some as-of-yet unexplained changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The assist change is huge and will probably do both of a) making characters who were passed over due to weak assists or not contributing as much to team compositions do more and b) introduce some accidentally stupidly broken assists, possibly on characters who were already really good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im stoked they're building on 1 instead of making a fighterz2

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im stoked they're building on 1 instead of making a fighterz2

I feel like we might have Street Fighter V to thank for that. They took that game from 'mediocre at best' to 'pretty good' and gave it a huge lifespan just be being prolific with DLC and patches that add new mechanics, so why not take a game that's already 'pretty good' and keep it going long enough to get it to 'great'?

I'm sure there's other fighting games that have gone with that angle, but SFV is probably the most dramatic example.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Cleretic posted:

I feel like we might have Street Fighter V to thank for that. They took that game from 'mediocre at best' to 'pretty good' and gave it a huge lifespan just be being prolific with DLC and patches that add new mechanics, so why not take a game that's already 'pretty good' and keep it going long enough to get it to 'great'?

I'm sure there's other fighting games that have gone with that angle, but SFV is probably the most dramatic example.

Wait. SFV is good now?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Removing incoming mix ups from the game seems a little strange cause I thought that was the whole point of team games to have stuff like that, but I guess it takes characters five mix ups to die in this game instead of one.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Wait. SFV is good now?

The online is still garbo but there's a fan patch for that on PC that fixes it entirely.

It's still a tremendously offense based game but there's a lot of character diversity at the top so it seems reasonable if that's your kinda thing.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Wait. SFV is good now?

no

it's also weird to credit sfv for doing what almost every successful fighting game for the past decade has done, including it's predecessor sfiv

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2020

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Heck yeah, Kefla coming in a few weeks and season 3 adding a lot of good features in general. I think I might have to start playing again for a bit.

I do wish they'd take BBTags pushblock system and add something similar though. It'd really help alleviate the endless pressure, and it would be interesting to see when people would use meter versus waiting for a reflect opportunity.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VAjKeP6hDk

Ultra Instinct Goku arrives May 22.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
More goku? You jest

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How about Future Goku? His health drains and runs out unless you keep calling in Future Trunks as an assist.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thread really died, huh? I picked up season one and two on a lark and I'm slowly picking up the tiny pieces of what little I learned at launch. I want to learn Adult Gohan/Frieza/Videl. I like all three of them and have a massive brain thing that makes me want to learn unusual characters like Videl. I'm still unsure of terminology but I think Frieza is considered point now, and Gohan is probably an anchor?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Unless you're doing high level play point/mid/anchor positioning don't really matter. If you put time and effort into learning the characters you'll do well regardless of their order.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Thread really died, huh? I picked up season one and two on a lark and I'm slowly picking up the tiny pieces of what little I learned at launch. I want to learn Adult Gohan/Frieza/Videl. I like all three of them and have a massive brain thing that makes me want to learn unusual characters like Videl. I'm still unsure of terminology but I think Frieza is considered point now, and Gohan is probably an anchor?

if that's your team use Frieza as an anchor. he's good for buying recovery time and your opponent adjusting to fighting him after fighting Gohan might buy you an opening - and if he's got a lot of meter he has a lot of different options to work with. none of them are *great* options but variety counts.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Reorder it to Videl/AGohan/Frieza with C assist/C assist/A assist imho

Remember videl doesn't have reflect so she's automatically the worst character in the game besides blue vegeta

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Also be ready to play against UI goku every match regardless of skill level/ranking

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try. Gotta get back into practice mode and relearn the controls then figure out combos again.

As far as Videl goes, that's part of the big brain thing, I like unique characters even if they're not good in practice.

Also what's wrong with Blue Vegeta? I didn't like how he played at launch but I don't actually know anything.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I think videl is perfectly fine on offense - I've seen some really good videl players who could poo poo out damage, but the lack of a reflect is just painful in a game with like 3 defensive options

Blue vegetas problems are the same as they've always been since launch basically:

- vegetas stubby normals without the toolbox/dp of ssj vegeta and insane damage potential of base vegeta
- bad assists imo
- command grab cant hit crouching opponent
- beam super cant be used mid screen with HKD
- rekka kicks have huge gaps and generally aren't true block strings
- big bang special is slow

I'm sure there's an evil canadian/rooflemonger video somewhere to back this up

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Roshi

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Now add Hercule/Mr. Satan and we're done.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wow, he’s out in a month and they showed two moves and his victory pose. Covid hosed even with these hype videos, huh?

Anyway, really glad he was added. It felt like the only glaring omission left. The last two don’t matter to me at all at this point.

Edit: Make it Tao Pai Pai and Bulma in a mech

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 16, 2020

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Raditz or nothing jerks

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Add Raditz and Gine to get the whole family in there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reiley posted:

Add Raditz and Gine to get the whole family in there.

what about goku jr

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does Raditz have enough moves to create a complete fighter?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Lobok posted:

No. But that didn’t stop them from making Bardock either.

People just love saiyans regardless of their screen time or relevance. :shrug:

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
I know Raditz isn't an exciting choice but I want my double sundays and saturday crushes dammit

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Also a dramatic finish for piccolo. Or base goku, I guess either would work. Plus imagine all the lines from the other characters making GBS threads on him for being the bad guys equivalent to yamcha.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lobok posted:

Most of the moves Raditz is known for were created from whole cloth to give him something to do in video games.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Hopefully this means Omega Shenron is coming too.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Master Roshi could kick Omega Shenron's rear end

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Half of Dracula posted:

:hai:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Release Pikkon you loving bastards.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't remember a single thing Pikkon ever did, aside from get his head crushed by Janenba in that one DMX AMV

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Half of Dracula posted:

Who couldn't kick Omega Shinron's rear end. Dude struggled to blow up a rollercoaster.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Do people actually like Omega Shenron? He always struck me as the late-game Toei favorite that everyone else only really tolerated because by the time he turns up there's a billion other characters that are more interesting.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
anyone who likes GT is a cop

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Since we're destined for more Goku and Vegeta, give me SSJ4 Goku and Baby Vegeta. Only good thing about GT.

If they add Pan, I'll self immolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
what about Kid Goku and Majin Fajitas

and Emeror Pilaf