Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

eonwe posted:

What is the most similar style of fighting game I could try to this?

Evil Canadian posted:

Marvel vs Capcom 2 & 3

Evil Canadian is right, but you might also consider Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 (most recent game by the same developer -- it's 1v1 and has very different game systems but will probably have similar "feel" in some hard-to-quantify respects) or Skullgirls (it's super-cheap, team-based although it strays somewhat from the traditional Marvel formula, and has vastly better online play than any of those other games.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm working my way through Kai and I nearly gave up during the second half of Cell Saga, every character in the show is at their most boring during that arc. like the only interesting things that happen at all are Krillin refusing to go through with destroying the androids and the face Cell makes when he explodes

i'm glad I'm past that though because Videl is a good "normal person perspective" character, the Great Saiyaman stuff is great, Android 18 blackmailing Mr. Satan is the first Mr. Satan-related thing that was actually funny instead of obnoxious, and Babidi is a pretty decent villain

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 28, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Shape of Imperfect Cell

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

anime was right posted:

bug cell was way scarier of a villain imo

:agreed:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

for anyone who's had a chance to play this (or saw something in a video maybe) is Beerus a charge character or a motion character?

for that matter are there any charge characters?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Beerus seems to be kinda like venom in guilty gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SNuZAu_mo

(the rest of these preview videos rule, I can't wait for the ginyu, yamcha, and nappa ones)

I've seen that video, that's actually why I'm asking; he looks like an absolute blast to play, but I don't like charge characters.

So this is great news all around. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I don't know anything about Dragon Ball but this game looks like it plays pretty fast. How forgiving do you think latency in online play will be? Trying to figure out whether I am going the PC or Xbonx route.

It'll be passable if you're playing people in the same region and kind of lovely otherwise, same as most ArcSys games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Piccolo getting really mad about his Lookout being hosed up by Buu is really funny

I like it when someone remembers Piccolo is 3 people

Piccolo is the only character whose obsolescence in combat I'm sad about. He's cool.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

pissdude posted:

He jobbed really hard in the current super arc but he also did some dece work in this arc and a few before. He's definitely not obsolete

I haven't even made it to Super yet, but that's encouraging!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The problem with adding OG Dragon Ball people is that everyone in OG Dragon Ball that was worth a drat moved on to Z. All you'd have is Tao Pai Pai LAUNCH!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

make Monster Carrot playable

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

make Puar into a Petshop clone

he totally headbutted one of the gang when he was first introduced alongside Yamcha, right? we can work with this

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Skullgirls is 3v3 and launched with eight characters, and in its "finished, no more DLC, no more patches" state has 14.

also MvC2 probably has fewer than 12 characters who actually count

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

dragonball is really bad at conveying harm and danger generally, it's one of the reasons it's better at comedy than it is at action

fortunately this doesn't really apply to a video game with literal health bars :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Can you airblock grounded attacks? Not having that option (or having to perfect guard to get it) was my least favorite part of Guilty Gear's universal mechanics.

Also, it doesn't look like it, but just in case -- does the game have pushblock?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

you can block grounded attacks in the air with faultless in GG.

yes i know

but can you / do you have to in DBZF

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Booyah- posted:

you can airblock grounded normals, except for everyone's grounded 2H which is a hard coded anti air

thanks! that's an interesting compromise at least

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

So at this point everything Dr. Gero invented except fat mime kicks an unbelievable amount of rear end across every media in the franchise.

Not Android 8, he's a pacifist. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

in-game grinding and microtransactions presumably

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DBZ is poorly written, outside of the comedy, of which there's never enough. It is however clever enough to put the comedy at the beginning of each arc so by the time you realize that nothing interesting has happened in ages you're already invested in seeing how things turn out. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

most jojo villains could beat jojo easily

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fight For the Future is a good fighting game, actually

the newer one is basically the Xenoverse of JJBA

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

To play devil's advocated for my brother's dumb anime opinions, I don't think he was talking about literal defined power levels. Rather he was talking about how some characters are so ridiculously strong compared to others a bunch of the cast has become irrelevant. I think he said Jojo got around that because stands have defined weaknesses and strengths so nobody was ever completely "useless". I didn't really follow it but he was making it sound like loving Pokemon.

jojo's is, let's say "mechanically clever" in a way that DBZ absolutely isn't. less "i can yell this loud and make a beam this big" and more "there's a protagonist whose only supernatural ability is that she can turn herself into string, and she can more or less hang with cosmic powers"

it also doesn't do the thing where people arbitrarily take hits from attacks that could literally destroy planets and nothing happens except they get a little dirty, so basically any fight could be ended by someone shooting you or just clocking you over the head if you didn't see it coming, which helps maintain the sense that there are actual stakes to attacks other than the final one

so your brother half-right but it's like, on the one hand yes araki is far more inventive about this stuff than toriyama has ever been but on the other hand that kind of rules-based cleverness isn't actually the same as good writing -- at best it's the result of a good creative process and at worst it's a distraction

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 21, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He survived and is still floating around in space, says Toriyama.

the only two beings with the power to survive in the void of space, Frieza and Monster Carrot

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I just realized that you can use Hit, Beerus and Ginyu for Team Purple.

I may do that, because purple is a good colour and thematic teams are good too.

I like purple and I adore Beerus but I'm not learning every character in the game to basic competence so that I can use Ginyu effectively. I might have to compromise and do a range of pink to purple, that opens up a lot of options.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

wasn't ranked as unpopular as it was in Xrd because it was horrifically broken at release and they didn't fix it until it was too late

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rhonne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluN1C0amyE

I really need to stop watching these before I spoil myself too much on this game.

jesus Buu's English voice is so bad

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Does anyone have a trip report for the PC version yet? Is it a good port?

It's not out until the 26th.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Firstborn posted:

How were ArcSys other PC ports? Good netcode?

No, but the game itself usually has less input lag on PC so it sort of evens out.

eonwe posted:

I asked this earlier in the thread and they said they were p good apparently

It's delay-based, which is bad. There are better and worse delay-based games and it's not as bad as some, but really there's no excuse for not fixing a problem that other multiplayer genres solved over a decade ago.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 26, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CRISPYBABY posted:

They're as good for netplay as any other mainstream fighter. Better than SF5, similar to Tekken, shorting loading times than both (by a lot). And usually have a built in feature that tells you your frame delay. I mean it's not rollback but neither are most things.

Street Fighter 5's netcode is a dumpster fire, and ArcSys delay-based netcode isn't better than Skullgirls' netcode or the netcode you'd get playing old Capcom games on third-party emulation-based services that one dude cooked up in his garage.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CRISPYBABY posted:

I mean if your definition of good netcode' is "has Skullgirls/GGPO/Fightcade style rollback netcode" and the game isn't Skullgirls or a fightcade emulator, the answer is probably not. But it's mighty playable and comparable to every other AAA fighting game's netcode.

I mean I'm excited for the game and I'm not discouraging people from buying it, but yes, that is my definition of good, and it should be everyone's definition of good because it's frankly embarassing that AAA fighting games can't even keep up with, let alone improve on, the work done by a couple of dedicated fans like Tony Cannon or MadScientist.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Check out this vintage footage.

*goes back to japanese VO in game*

good :twisted:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Vegeta finally beat someone with the beam spam.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

first impressions is the pc version is trash

rip

what's wrong with it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that sucks and is real dumb but at the same time lol keyboard supremacy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

okay why can i only map Q W E and A and not S or D to buttons

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lol jesus christ they have two completely separate button configs, one for what keyboard buttons map to what pad buttons and one for what pad buttons maps to what actual game functions

what a lovely port

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is there any way to disable autocombos completely so you don't even get them by accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

Lmao imagine buying a console game on pc

there's no such thing as console games, just PC games trapped in a worthless shell, waiting to be free