Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

FanaticalMilk posted:

I really don't understand why people dislike Max. I mean I understand that most of his videos are targeted at a more casual crowd than the type of people that post here. But like, is there a specific video/timeframe where he was just an awful/insufferable youtube personality like certain people make him out to be.

Eh, all of this could easily go down like Max being like "I'm not really seeing the usefulness of this character," someone like SonicFox later being like "nah, use character [x] like this," and then Max would be like "cool, didn't think of using him that way" and the day goes on. Max isn't on the top pro kind of level, but there's nothing really wrong with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

spasticColon posted:

Team Four Star being Team Four Star:

https://youtu.be/4-WsRdXVOhA?t=62s

Apparently Gohan watched The Wire and is a big Clay Davis fan.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Justin Wong explicitly took himself out of early tournaments because he played MvC:I maybe a week or two early (probably more).

FChamp was likely helping with testing for several months, entered tournaments for that easy money, and still got absolutely washed. And then I guess he and his crew decided to beef with SonicFox for reasons I guess until he got washed again.

There was also that time that IFC Yipes (commentator) decided to up root and move literally across the entire United States because Mahvel, only to have that blow up in his face and move back across the country in a little under a month.

MvC:I was just a black hole of stupid decisions.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

NY probably used to be the strongest scene for Marvel, but all of the talent ended up going West Coast (ChrisG, Wong, FChamp, etc).

But basically, right before MvC:I launched, Yipes started talking up about he really wanted to start taking Marvel seriously again. More and more you start seeing him training with FChamp and whatnot. Then it got to the point where him and Persia (GF, also commentator) did make the move to the West Coast. Popular theory is that there was likely someone, whether it be Capcom, or a broadcasting network like Nickelodeon or Disney or something, offered one or both of them a possible commentary gig. So they both moved out a week or two before MvC:I hit.

But then MvC:I actually released and poo poo was not looking really good. Something ended up falling through. Then Yipes and Persia ended up moving back to NY shortly afterwards (the dude just popped back up in the NY locals, and he had to explain on FB why he's suddenly back in NY so suddenly). Around this time, Yipes also mentioned that him and Persia are no longer together and she's "doing her own thing." As an aside, this somewhat puts a new light on that Battle of the Stones tournament because working that closely with an Ex is usually awkward as gently caress.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell without any Kappa rumor-esque BS.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Cell's delivery is what makes this scene

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Momomo posted:

More like getting overconfident and being absorbed by Buu instead of just killing him was peak Gohan

Not only twenty minutes later did his father not only just eliminate the way to fuse with Vegeta to just get all of this poo poo over and done with, but he lets him, his little brother, and his surrogate father die to save a fraud of a martial artist and a dog.

These kinds of oversights just run in the family.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Last year, I never thought I would be watching the English voices of Goku and Vegeta fighting in a 2D fighting game by the Guilty Gear people commentated by Yipes.

I guess life can still have some good surprises every now and then.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

multijoe posted:

I practiced the starter BnB for nearly an hour today and

1) with dropped hits I was still doing less than M autocombos 80% of the time and

2) as soon as I went online I choked and dropped every single combo

Please send help

I hear you on Number 2. Practiced the BnB for about an hour, finally was able to do it consistently on a dummy, but then hit online and dropped it or forgot some of the steps.

The one time I was almost about to perfectly do it as 18, the frame delay went from 4 to like 12 in that last split second to the point where I think the opponent did it on purpose.

Real hurthling! posted:

Letting them cheat and putting extreme difficulty spikes where you get complacent on passive enemies and then face like omega rugal out of nowhere and die in two seconds is the way to go.

You know, this would be hilarious. Like, you're dogwalking a Piccolo clone that isn't even fighting back, and then all of a sudden God Rugal comes out of nowhere and insta kills you with a Genocide Cutter that hits both you and all of your teammates.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 30, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I am trying to extend 18's BnB with 17 just to see what links and what doesn't and the timing for his M assist is... lenient in a sense, but it's hard for me to judge when and how 18 should follow up, either in a corner or midrange.

For shits and giggles, I tried to time her 2M5M jLML2H into 17's M assist and then try to follow up with another assist. I absolutely suck at getting the timing down with Cell (definitely going to require an assist press mid combo), and Gohan's uppercut can at least allow for another air combo. But even when following up into 18's Accel Dance super, that damage scaling is hella rough.

But hey, I'll give the game this; it has been awhile where I'm having honest to God enjoyment even in Training Mode just simply trying to figure out what links and what doesn't.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dias posted:

I don't think losing to Sonicfox is embarrassing by now. Also Leffen is good but he plays online on PC (which isn't the strongest scene around) and haven't played a tournament yet, as far as I'm aware.

It'll only be embarrassing if Leffen starts pulling an FChamp at this point with the pre-game trash talk (and then proceeds to get bodied in two FT10's despite talking all that good poo poo).

At this point, it's kind of just expected.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

cams posted:

lots of people who play fighting games are actually VERY bad at fighting games but they can execute neat combos, so they have a higher opinion of their own skill level. losing to autocombos hurts they feelings.

Pretty much this.

Played a dude who could get off those fancy swag combos like nothing.

Ends up losing all 3 characters both rounds to Goku Black who just zoned and used 2H to punish full screen Super Dashes.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Draxamus posted:

Anyone post this yet?

https://twitter.com/Ninjaelephant31...90%7Ctwterm%5E1

Vegeta getting better and better.

Vegeta is going to get himself nerfed to the Prince of all D-Tiers if he keeps this up

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I want to use Cell/18/Trunks so badly, but I guess Cell is the better point between Trunks and 18?

Hell, does Trunks make a good anchor? Moreover, I need to see how Cell works with Trunks assist (or 18 assist if she's running interference). I have mostly been using Trunks/18/Black so far and it has been working out.

It has been awhile where I have had a fighter where there were just too many people I wanted to play with, so I'll give DBFZ that credit.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

It's not about the best point so much as who gets the most out of point if you get my meaning?

I think Cell is overall stronger everywhere than 18, but 18 benefits the most from being on point. Cell can be an anchor or 2nd and be just as effective.

Yeah, I'll have to experiment, but after making that post, I was thinking like "do I want Cell on point where I only have Trunks assist to really open up someone at the start of the round with little meter? Or do I want Trunks/18 up first and have backup on Cell and likely Trunks assist and then tag in or even continue mixing up afterwards?"

18 might meet this a little bit better, because she still has 17, on top of Cell doing his diagonal Kamehameha, and Trunks doing his fire poo poo.

Beforehand, I was really just using Trunks and hoping that people would fuckup on the Goku Black assist long enough for me to get something started.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Everyone else on that list I more or less understand, but I’m surprised to see 18, kid buu, and Frieza on that list. I wonder what they’re going to do with them?

They can’t nerf the 17 assist because 18 would literally have no safe block string outside of ending in Destructo Disk. Her damage isn’t that great when viewed in a vacuum either (as she is mostly there for pressure and oki).

They may buff her command grab, because no one ever uses it ATM. I could see her getting incremental buffs.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, they can stand to adjust Super Dashing a little bit. Going through ki blasts, whatever. Going through poo poo like Piccolo’s energy balls? Nah.

And no more U-Turns or dashes veering off to the top of the screen.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

If this happened to me I would probably literally go Super Saiyan, hurl the game disc at the closest GameStop, and blow up the planet somehow.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Sade posted:

I would press rematch and not make catastrophically bad assist calls at the start of the round.

Not nearly as cathartic though

(In all seriousness, he probably wanted to go dumb with the Gohan DP, caught Broly instead of Teen Gohan and panicked; dunno why he called out Kid Buu and his 3rd for this even if he hit Teen Gohan on block or otherwise)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 31, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dias posted:

A bunch of the top players seem to be either negative or cautious as gently caress about this new GC. I'm kinda disappointed in the changes, but I'll see how poo poo'll play out, I guess.

I mean, Nakkiel spent a few hours ranting about how he can't just trap people in Gohan/Yamcha blockstrings for 30 seconds anymore because of this, but we'll see if they adjust.

Changes like Golden Frieza notwithstanding, at least the dev team knows of the big problems (too much pressure, too much blue health) and tried to fix it, so I'm interested to see where this all goes.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Zand posted:

its almost like some of the problems in this game were because it takes 30 seconds to open someone up one time in a blockstring and not the fact that you can blockstring someone for 30 seconds....

These are both problems

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

yes, it's really interesting that...the new patch doesn't solve the problems people have had with the game?

There's going to come a time where it's clear the developers have a vision in terms of what they want to do in their fighting game and you need to take it or leave it and accept that you're not in the target audience.

Like, I guess I could have been in the SFV thread since S1 expressing that I want it to be more like Alpha or something, but that would not have been a productive use of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Lobok posted:

Would hitting Bulma be like in some of the Yakuza games where money comes out?

Capsules (full of money and other stuff)