Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

jbone posted:

Actually... Wi-Fi hotspots. :eng99: So to go this route, I'd need a plug-in Wi-Fi-to-Ethernet device for each 4G connection.

Can you yank the SIMs and drop them into something like this? (bonus: you're not depending on the reliability of a stack of consumer hotspots)

If you can't even do that, most decent hotspots offer USB tethering. You might be able to get away with hooking multiple hotspots up to a PC or embedded USB host that acts as an intermediary router between the hotspots and your real router/load balancer.

(oh, and, what's your budget here?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

jbone posted:

Although that would provide the best possible link between systems, I don't know that I could justify to the budget folks spending $1000 on three WR11-L800-DE1-SU's when Verizon gives us the wi-fi hotspots for free.

We don't have a fixed budget, I'd just need good justification for the specific route we take. It wouldn't be hard to justify $300 for something like a Ubiquiti ER-8. But any more than, say, $100 per 4G-to-Ethernet device and I'd have trouble making a case, especially when the server/NAS would be around $1k by itself.

My ideal solution would be a MIMO multi-antenna hotspot I could configure for multi-WAN @ 2.4GHz and single-LAN @ 5GHz. But That doesn't exist.

It looks like Verizon offers a "Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice," though I had to do some digging to find it. I'm doubtful I can get those instead of a hotspots because Bureaucracy, but it might be worth asking about.

How to justify the budget:

Take the total yearly cost of employment for everybody in the office depending on this system, divide by 200, and say that they can still manage 50% normal productivity when connectivity is seriously impaired by a hotspot dropping out. Let's assume you've got 10 people taking home an average of $50k/year and employer-side overhead (benefits, payroll taxes, etc) is 50% of salary.* The cost of one workday of downtime is at minimum $1,875, assuming these people are only barely bringing in enough money to cover their salaries. If they're actually turning a profit, or if them dropping off the planet for a day has risk implications elsewhere, that number will only go up. These hotspots are cheap, lowest-bidder 'free' consumer hardware, so odds of a lovely hotspot forcing you to make an emergency trip to the Verizon store and wait in line are pretty high.

Option one, you plan to eat that risk, and come up with whatever free mitigation you can. If this is the decision be sure to document it, because it'll be a very important CYA when things do go to poo poo.

Option two, you invest a couple grand into mitigating it with better hardware. There's still some risk, but you're better positioned to deal with it.

Option three, you just get them to dig an exemption out of somewhere and get you a loving business-grade cable modem connection, or a fixed wireless connection, or something already. It's a bureaucracy, that means somebody somewhere has the power to override things if you get important people on your side raising a stink.

*these numbers are of course all deliberately skewed low, adjust to taste for your situation

• Locked thread