Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
what's the best music streaming app for random music while you work? is it Spotify?

idk maybe but it sure loves to play ads all the time and they sure are annoying but I'm too cheap and lazy to pay for it so oh well I guess it's a good streaming app if you're into garbage ads

is it pandora??

lol no pandora is for olds who love listening to stations until their recommendations turn their stations into a loop of the same ten songs

is it youtube???

no cause that's a service for videos for children why would you stream music from it dumb dumb

well you'll be surprised to know the answer is and always has been shoutcast

unless of course you're not a knuckle dragging mouth breathing moron then you always knew that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use Apple Music, op

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I use Apple Music, op

:whitewater:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://kniteforce-radio.com/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

excuse me but you forgot google play music

(and eventually so will google lol)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
google play loving owns. every single thing i've ever wanted to listen to is on there. it's $10 a month.

service suits my needs extremely well.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont like the music services because i think it pretty much guarantees that you're only hearing something from a decent sized record label

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

SO DEMANDING posted:

excuse me but you forgot google play music

(and eventually so will google lol)

sorry but I don't use beta software thanks for the suggestion though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i gotta have my bandcamp twee and soundcloud james ferraro-likes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hifi posted:

i dont like the music services because i think it pretty much guarantees that you're only hearing something from a decent sized record label

this is not the case with google music. i'm able to listen to all kinds of weird underground stuff. my brothers music is even on google play.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i looked and it looks like it will show you youtube videos for stuff which imo is cheating

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is not the case with google music. i'm able to listen to all kinds of weird underground stuff.

that's good because most of google music's user base technically live underground

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hifi posted:

i looked and it looks like it will show you youtube videos for stuff which imo is cheating

i dont think so, maybe for videos but i dont use it for videos

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I listen to bboy mixes and 25 year old rave tapes on youtube

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

google play loving owns. every single thing i've ever wanted to listen to is on there. it's $10 a month.

service suits my needs extremely well.

they removed all the browser visualizer options which is dumb and sometimes music I listen to gets removed. it's still better than any other option

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

hifi posted:

Theres good stuff on every streaming service, I just find the content model itself miserable and refuse to use any of htem and get everything on soulseek or by downloading youtubes.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

youtube is good op, as it has a lot of content that doesn't exist on other services, regardless of quality (though it is a real shame when accounts like Hexameron get DMCA'd). if i don't want to select myself then i usually listen to some specific webradio stations or webstreams. if i want some selection, but don't want to gently caress around with choosing for a while i'll queue up some mixes from wherever. for streaming services i think my gf has (had?) tidal which is alright i guess, more stuff on it than i thought would be

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

deezer is fine

OldAlias posted:

youtube is good op

also this

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hifi posted:

one can upload tracks into the Apple cloud with iTunes Match

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
i buy flacs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

deezer is fine

also this

i always laughed at the deezer name but i guess it was a huge car radio option in like 2012

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

one can upload tracks into the Apple cloud with iTunes Match

let me just upload all the music i haven't heard yet

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like SomaFM.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
so apparently in the new winamp, you can right click on the player, uncheck the main window when all the other windows are unchecked, and Winamp will become functionally useless

what have they done to winamp, it doesn't whip the llama's rear end anymore :smith:

there needs to be a new interface hall of shame for this poo poo

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
i listen to beep boop music on di.fm

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

so apparently in the new winamp

the what now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ed_Rich/status/788650603383754752 note the date

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Huh

Well the one I used was v5.6 and from 2013 so I dunno, I thought it was the new Winamp

Guess it's gonna get even shittier. Yaaaaay

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
am i the only idiot actually paying for spotify? the music discovery features have been super helpful for me

my only complaint is that i cant play tomb of the necrodancer with spotify

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

imo music discovery algorithms are bad compared to getting hot tips from your mates or something you hear on a stream/mix

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i got a good surf rock band rec from a naked lady poster in my uncles garage that my cousin probably put there 20 years ago

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spotify is really good op

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

hifi posted:

imo music discovery algorithms are bad compared to getting hot tips from your mates or something you hear on a stream/mix

hifi posted:

i got a good surf rock band rec from a naked lady poster in my uncles garage that my cousin probably put there 20 years ago

ya but spotify is like having a garage FULL of naked lady posters. think about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

spotify is really good op

i agree

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Google Music duh

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hifi posted:

or going to a local 200-person venue and enjoying some opening act you've never heard of more than the headliner. look up what those guys like, tadaa new playlist

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

flakeloaf posted:

or going to a local 200-person venue and enjoying some opening act you've never heard of more than the headliner. look up what those guys like, tadaa new playlist

the least efficient way to discover new music

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

this via the TuneIn radio app, plays all day at home on an old Kindle Fire connected to some Bluetooth speakers.

Secret Agent
Underground 80s
Illinois Street Lounge (for lols)

👌🏻

Helianthus Annuus posted:

am i the only idiot actually paying for spotify? the music discovery features have been super helpful for me

this at work on my headphones, the Monday 'Discover Weekly' and the Friday 'Release Radar' auto generated playlists are excellent and worth the monthly charge by themselves.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

My Linux Rig posted:

Huh

Well the one I used was v5.6 and from 2013 so I dunno, I thought it was the new Winamp

Guess it's gonna get even shittier. Yaaaaay

maybe try using the superior-in-every-way software foobar2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m probably going to mess with some genesis/Saturn music composition soon. maybe this weekend

• Locked thread