Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

i'm getting MG Sazabi ver ka for christmas!!

:swoon:

gently caress yeah, dude! I have the same one on the way too. I have that, the MG RX-78-02 Origin, Maschinen Krieger Falke, MG MS-18E Kampfer, and the Macross VF-1S in both Strike and Gerwalk modes along with a few Star Wars kits in my backlog, also the Metal Gear Sahelantropus which just showed up yesterday. Thing is fuckin' huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So having not watched a single episode of Gundam*, ever, has anybody ever said "Gun-drat"?

*This is not to say I'm not a huge nerd or even unfamiliar with giant fighting robots; one of my all time favorite anime is Gurren Laggann

**PS y'all are NERDS (goes back to building a plastic Nazi supertank)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: nvm

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Sep 1, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Be careful with the hands on the Saz v. Ka. I messed up one of the wrist polycaps assembling the forearm, and the guns are honestly almost too heavy for the Emotion Manipulators.

Having said that, mine is standing tall with wielding both rifles and its shield.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
gunpla were fun but now I've got a dumb idiot dog who loves eating anything that fits in his mouth

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

gunpla were fun but now I've got a dumb idiot dog who loves eating anything that fits in his mouth

Call it battle damage

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Neurolimal posted:

Call it battle damage

c r y h a v o c a n d l o o s e t h e d o g s o f w a r

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So excited to start priming and painting my model this weekend, gonna try and figure out what to do for my buildings this weekend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've been into gunpla for a long time and I've got no cash for buying a Hi-Mock but my bff did buy me this monstrosity. Thinking about doing a really dumb battle damaged diorama with it.

if you think that's big you'll enjoy this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Hi-Mock still hasn't shown up yet, but I found a place that was selling option parts, so I'll at least be able to make some progress this weekend

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The 1/144 is a dream but MAN that's a lotta money.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it looks like a gun dame to replace scalises totally annihilated dick balls and rear end in a top hat

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
couldnt find my nippers or sanding sticks so i ordered a gunpla tools kit with everything i need. also got two hi-mocks, hg zeta, hg shining gundam, hg rx-72-2 gundam revive. :shepspends: lord help me im back on my poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darkman Fanpage posted:

couldnt find my nippers or sanding sticks so i ordered a gunpla tools kit with everything i need. also got two hi-mocks, hg zeta, hg shining gundam, hg rx-72-2 gundam revive. :shepspends: lord help me im back on my poo poo.

Gunplus Disease is a terrible terrible affliction that plagues us all, the only cure is to stop buying Gunpla.

No-one's ever been cured, they've only entered temporary remission :unsmigghh:.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My fuckin' MG Sazabi Ver Ka that I thought wouldn't show up for another 3 weeks just turned up and gently caress me this box is Bigly! Yuge!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i'm so tempted to get a MG ∀-99 gundam. i need it and its moustache so bad.

victory gundam would be nice too, but i hear that one is real fragile cause of having 3 units

Condiv has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Sep 3, 2017

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

yeah i got a bunch of cheap ish kits to gently caress up and make some mistakes on first

i learned that sometimes your sandpaper takes forever to sand a nub down and sometimes itll tear the poo poo outta your poo poo in 2 seconds

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Condiv posted:

i'm so tempted to get a MG ∀-99 gundam. i need it and its moustache so bad.

victory gundam would be nice too, but i hear that one is real fragile cause of having 3 units

i got the hg version of that cos it was cheap and had a moustache

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
MG Turn A is legit one of the coolest kits I've had the pleasure of building. I highly recommend it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Hi-Mock finally showed up today. Construction has already begun

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhn760VLCyc

Mr. President, are you going to allow us to fall behind Japan in Mobile Suit Technology? They've gone from the first Gundam to the full Psycoframe Unicorn in less than ten years!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mecha Gojira posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhn760VLCyc

Mr. President, are you going to allow us to fall behind Japan in Mobile Suit Technology? They've gone from the first Gundam to the full Psycoframe Unicorn in less than ten years!

it's too bad gundam unicorn was a really dumb show

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

it's too bad gundam unicorn was a really dumb show

I just finished watching it and yeah it's really dumb

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Actually, Unicorn rules.

Weird that they aired it on Toonami though since it's literally ZZ fanservice, which only had its first official English release this year and only on their YouTube channel.

Edit there might be DVD's I dunno

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've only watched Gundam 79, Thunderbolt:DS, Unicorn, and the first two Origin movies - what is the best of Gundam? I'm trying to track down Char's Counterattack at the moment.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
G gundam and Build Fighters

Also Zeta Gundam i guesssss

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

I've only watched Gundam 79, Thunderbolt:DS, Unicorn, and the first two Origin movies - what is the best of Gundam? I'm trying to track down Char's Counterattack at the moment.

Gundam 0080 is the best Gundam.

Beyond that, the rest of Origin, and the second Thunderbolt movie are definitely worth it if you liked the beginnings.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

G gundam and Build Fighters

Also Zeta Gundam i guesssss

Zeta Gundam is good. So is ZZ as long as you're prepared for the uhh, drastic tonal shift from the end of Zeta to the beginning of ZZ

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
0080: war in the pocket is one of my faves.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks a ton, it's nice to have them in the background while I build. Most of my Hi-Mock extras showed up today! Very excited.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Galaxy Brain: the best Gundams are Macross, VOTOMS, and Patlabor.

Universal Brain: Metal Armor Dragonar is the Best Gundam

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

the best macross is robotech season 3 where theres jets and another jet joins on the back and i guess the jet can fly faster now? and also motorcycles transform into power armour

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

punchymcpunch posted:

the best macross is robotech season 3 where theres jets and another jet joins on the back and i guess the jet can fly faster now? and also motorcycles transform into power armour

Season three is rough

I rediscovered Robotech on Netflix. The first season is astonishing and every bit as good as I remember when I first saw it

Season 2 is mostly dumb and aside from the dumbest alien race ever doesn't have much; THOUGH, I remembered the alien song that one girl sings even though I hadn't seen it since I was six or seven

Season 3 I'd never seen as the station that played it I think objected to that one character cross-dressing and would just loop back to the first episode after two or three episodes

It's sad to learn that it's basically mad max crossed with 50s motorcycle gangs and motorcycles that transform

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

punchymcpunch posted:

Nah, Robotech is bad.

Genesis Climber MOSPEADA is just boring.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
HEY! LISTEN TO MY SONG!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

basically mad max crossed with 50s motorcycle gangs and motorcycles that transform

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I did my first round of spray paint this morning! Gonna come back and do another round of something special after the paint cures, which I read somewhere is about 24 hours?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Depends on the type of paint. Enamels and Lacquers cure much faster than Acrylics, within a few hours. Acrylics I think need at least 24 hours to cure, though I've heard people say let them cure for longer, even up to a week.

I just always used acrylics because A: easier to clean out of my airbrush and B: less carcinogenic.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
how hard is it to do airbrushing? i've never done it with any of my kits but im curious about it. is it expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Darkman Fanpage posted:

how hard is it to do airbrushing? i've never done it with any of my kits but im curious about it. is it expensive?

It takes time and practice and patience and money. You can get a cheap airbrush and compressor to practice with and a lot of modelers recommend buying plastic spoons to practice on. Just, fair warning, paint can get expensive. Like, cost of the kit itself expensive depending on what you're trying to accomplish. And that's not getting into the higher-end airbrushes with finer control or a decent compressor with a tank.

The real problem is the heartache when you mess up. Stripping paint is a pain in the rear end and can actually ruin the plastic itself depending on what you have to use to pull it up.

• Locked thread