Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

0079 owns because it's an insane mash of a whole bunch of historical and fictional elements that Tomino was into

Karl Marx becomes the leader of colonial america, dies and is replaced by Stalin, whos son Hitler tries to purge all of Karl Marx's family once he gains power, including Karl Marx's son Edmond Dantes, who from then on swears revenge on all of Stalin's family (leading to Hitler gaining power when Edmond kills Stalin's beloved heir, Lenin)

Karl Marx is also responsible for the creation of a new and controversial system of governance that uplifts the oppressed colonial citizens, called X-Manism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/905441078802821122

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
why are gundam blu rays so expensive, I get the 26 episode ones, but the 90s OVAs and Turn A (the only good gundams) are pricey as heck!

and I'm really glad to see this thread in c-spam, have fun with those builds, take care with removal of nubs

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I paint so that I dont need to worry about gentle nub management. 420 use nail clippers and an X-acto to get rid of nubs erryday

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
japan sucks and has a lovely BD/DVD market model. that's it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

japan sucks and has a lovely BD/DVD market model. that's it.

yeah its like this with all anime dvds

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i died at that scene in zeta

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had an idea

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Painting update. So shiny! Do I topcoat before I go in with a Gundam marker to add the little black dots on the chest and the red eye, or after?

I also have a set of Soviet decals on the way :ussr:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Taintrunner posted:

Painting update. So shiny! Do I topcoat before I go in with a Gundam marker to add the little black dots on the chest and the red eye, or after?

Gloss top coat if you're going to do a wash or detailing, yeah. Then after the decals and wash, do a final topcoat.

You don't necessarily have to do a topcoat to paint the red mono eye or whatever, though.

Edit: Also, lookin' slick.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

how hard is it to do airbrushing? i've never done it with any of my kits but im curious about it. is it expensive?

I bought a compressor and an airbrush combo from Canadian Tire for $100. The brush is just okay enough to get a feel for airbrushing and practice at washing a brush properly, so you don't ruin a good one when you inevitably upgrade.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

loving communist accounting bots

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

take that, edumacation, i repurposed you as a cutting board

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

That's a good robot

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's a good robot

Mecha Gojira posted:

Gloss top coat if you're going to do a wash or detailing, yeah. Then after the decals and wash, do a final topcoat.

You don't necessarily have to do a topcoat to paint the red mono eye or whatever, though.

Edit: Also, lookin' slick.

Thank ye thank ye both

My decals came in today! I haven't had much luck with water slides in the past so I'm hoping this gives me good practice, now I just need to figure out a layout for them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taintrunner posted:

Thank ye thank ye both

My decals came in today! I haven't had much luck with water slides in the past so I'm hoping this gives me good practice, now I just need to figure out a layout for them.

Remember, the Guards markings are for elite units only

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought some decals too. The guy pronounced it "dec-als" like dec as in the first syllable of decorate.

It's dee-cals, right?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

yeh i saw a dude on youtube callin em dec-als and was weirded out

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I finished my assembly today and bought paint and also special weapons.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've heard people say dec-als before and I...think? it's one of those jokes where you do it wrong on purpose?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

stickas

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

attn

everyone who posts a completed model or at least four meaningful progress updates before the deadline (31 octo) will receive this gangtag (unless they ask not to i guess??):

it has already been given to one other poster because sexbot was in their username but such is my caprice

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Squizzle posted:

attn

everyone who posts a completed model or at least four meaningful progress updates before the deadline (31 octo) will receive this gangtag (unless they ask not to i guess??):

it has already been given to one other poster because sexbot was in their username but such is my caprice

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't buy Army Painter brand paint. I would've finished basecoating this thing yesterday if I hadn't decided to get Army Painter for a couple of the colors.

I'm now 100% Citadel all the way forever.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Citadel is solid (though usually pricey), as is Vallejo, Tamiya, Liquitex, and Reaper.

glad the end date is so far away, still taking care of some errant projects before I start my silly hi-mock one.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i need to get my himock and also my gang tag

too bad my himock will suck compared to the more experienced modders' here

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guy Goodbody posted:

Don't buy Army Painter brand paint. I would've finished basecoating this thing yesterday if I hadn't decided to get Army Painter for a couple of the colors.

I'm now 100% Citadel all the way forever.

I just noticed they started to sell that in my town. Does it suck?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i dont think im gonna do anything too crazy for my hi-mock. i bought two. im thinking of just doing a kitbash like seeing if i can throw some hygogg arms onto one.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not experienced at all and throwing poo poo to the wall to see if it sticks, but this has been a fun opportunity to go buckwild for the sake of C-SPAM fame

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm learning sowing for the sake of my gunpla!

also so i can repair my clothes!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nebakenezzer posted:

I just noticed they started to sell that in my town. Does it suck?

I got some Citadel paints and some Army Painter paints. The Citadel stuff works perfectly. I dilute it just a little and I get flat, even coverage in two or three coats.

The Army Painter is a nightmare. No matter what i do it seems like it's always either too thick or too thin. I'm on I think coat five with the Army Painter. I'm either gonna have to redo those parts with new Citadel paints or just accept what I've got

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Be that as it may, here's my base coated Hi-Mock

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm going to fight your Hi-Mock with my Hi-Mock (because yours is badass)

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

awesome!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

gwar-mock

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LOAD SOFTWARE

TEST ARTICULATION

SENSORS STATUS 0

I got me a Hi-Mock

Starting drinking...NOW

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HOW MAEK HIMOCK

You've got the bits:

Step one is, believe it or not:

Wash the sprunes in warm water and dish detergent. Injection molding uses a chemical to release the sprunes from the mold. This chemical can futz up paint adhesion. Give it a soak, then rinse the sprunes off with warm water.

Then dry the sprunes. You can just wait, but I find a small fan works best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i dunno this sounds a lot like doin the dishes

• Locked thread