Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
After the exciting conclusions of backing up your computers I hitched my wagon to just renew with the shitheap company and now I have this AIDS acrost my inbox:

quote:

Thank you for being a CrashPlan® for Home customer. We're honored that you’ve trusted us to protect your data.

It's because of this trust that we want you to know that we have shifted our business strategy to focus on the enterprise and small business segments. This means that over the next 14 months we will be exiting the consumer market and you must choose another option for data backup before your subscription expires. We are committed to providing you with an easy and efficient transition.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU
We will honor your existing CrashPlan for Home subscription, keeping your data safe, as always, until your current subscription expires.

To allow you time to transition to a new backup solution, we've extended your subscription (at no cost to you) by 60 days. Your new subscription expiration date is 09/02/2018.

YOUR CHOICES
Your first step is to consider the options below, available exclusively for CrashPlan for Home customers. Once you make your selection, no further action is required until your new expiration date. We will send you reminders well before your CrashPlan for Home subscription ends.

Option 1
CRASHPLAN - For Small Business

Migrate to CrashPlan for Small Business in a Matter of Minutes

If you're a small business, freelancer or just getting your side hustle on, quickly move your data* into CrashPlan for Small Business for the remainder of your current subscription for free. After that, enjoy 75% off the regular price for the next 12 consecutive months. Get unlimited backup at an affordable monthly price and access our intuitive administration console for managing multiple users.
CLICK TO GET CRASHPLAN FOR SMALL BUSINESS
Option 2
Carbonite

If You're Backing Up Home Computers, Easily Start Up With Carbonite

We've selected Carbonite as our exclusive partner for home users. Like CrashPlan, Carbonite provides automatic and continuous backup for all of your important files. Carbonite is also recognized for its complimentary award-winning customer support. Carbonite is offering a 50% discount on their Home and Core plans, exclusively for CrashPlan for Home users. The Carbonite and CrashPlan for Home support teams are aligned to make your transition to Carbonite quick and easy.
GET CARBONITE WITH EXCLUSIVE OFFER!
If you take no action, we will honor the remainder of your subscription and then securely delete your backup.

If you have any additional questions, please refer to our Consumer Information Page. And thank you, again, for being a CrashPlan for Home customer.

Owned again. Guess it's carbonite or some other poo poo to back up my measly 2TB of data.

Come to think of it with their lovely Java client that requires increasing the JVM memory size to back up more than a million files they loving belong servicing the ~enterprise~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Hed posted:

After the exciting conclusions of backing up your computers I hitched my wagon to just renew with the shitheap company and now I have this AIDS acrost my inbox:

Owned again. Guess it's carbonite or some other poo poo to back up my measly 2TB of data.

Come to think of it with their lovely Java client that requires increasing the JVM memory size to back up more than a million files they loving belong servicing the ~enterprise~

2 tb?? wtf do you have at home that requires 2 tb

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he's backing up his linux isos

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
if bezos knew how much hentai i was hosting on s3 he would pop a tit

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
lol if you don't have a tape drive and a bank vault for backing up your home pc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Helianthus Annuus posted:

lol if you don't have a tape drive and a bank vault for backing up your home pc

oh i got a bank alright

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used to use ARC with glacier but I'm pretty sure if my house burned down I'd never find the Amazon decryption key and my data would be gone forever.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

My Linux Rig posted:

2 tb?? wtf do you have at home that requires 2 tb

betacam rips

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hoarding disorders take many forms, digital hoarding is at least more easily concealed

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im constantly rotating my poo poo from my NAS to S3. i screen capture all my computing habits 24/7, then store them in the NAS.

each day a script running on my synology runs them through PAQ compression and then uploads them to S3.

when i die some idiot is going to find that poo poo and wonder what the gently caress yospos was

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I still haven't pilfered the old Storagetek SL500 library from work and installed it in my garage but I kinda want to

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ugg.. i've been using amazon cloud drive with arq because it was unlimited storage. it's saved my rear end twice now. just checked and the largest plan is now 1TB

I'm using 1.7 :(

looks like I have till December to figure something else out

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
OP you can move right into Crashplan Pro and deal with this again in a couple years.

None of the unlimited backup companies are going to stay that way.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
look at these scrubs not using Backblaze.

they just rolled out their newest revision that you can one-click push a file from your backup to their S3 competitor that's dirt cheap when you quickly want to get a file hosted somewhere.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thebigcow posted:

OP you can move right into Crashplan Pro and deal with this again in a couple years.

None of the unlimited backup companies are going to stay that way.

yeah i just checked their FAQs on the Pro product and they refuse to do annual or multi-year billing on the Pro product. they're definitely looking to be free to walk away (or spike the pricing, or impose caps, or whatever) at any time.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Bloody posted:

oh i got a bank alright

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Management posted:

I used to use ARC with glacier but I'm pretty sure if my house burned down I'd never find the Amazon decryption key and my data would be gone forever.

I stick my keys in KeepAss and let it replicate to one drive as god intended

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

akadajet posted:

ugg.. i've been using amazon cloud drive with arq because it was unlimited storage. it's saved my rear end twice now. just checked and the largest plan is now 1TB

I'm using 1.7 :(

looks like I have till December to figure something else out

Amazon Cloud Drive posted:

New annual storage plans start at 100 GB for $11.99, 1 TB for $59.99, and up to 30 TB for an additional $59.99 per TB.

Ah ha ha ha ha. You at least going to buy me dinner before you try that on me?

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
S3 is free? just use that imo

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok glacier looks interesting, did someone already write a nongarbage solution to use that

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
leaving shameful reply because I can't loving read.

r u ready to WALK posted:

I still haven't pilfered the old Storagetek SL500 library from work and installed it in my garage but I kinda want to

now we're talking! I'll just put that at my parents' house, I think they pay like $0.05 per kWh living out in nowhere

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
So what's good now?

Linux OS support and 16TB of data is what I'm looking at here.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
nothing good supports a linux

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Millstone posted:

nothing good supports a linux

use the linux to hold the files, use a windows box to run the backup client, with a symlink to the linux share?

if the client software is smart enough to detect the symlink then maybe have the windows box be a virtual machine with its storage located on the linux box

edit: or maybe just have the linux setup as an iscsi target and directly mount the linux storage on the windows box that way

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 25, 2017

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this whole thing has got me wondering, so here's a question for folks worried about backup services:

if all of the data you've backed up suddenly was gone, irretrievably, what would that mean for you?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'd be upset and re-sync to a different provider. I'm not trusting my unique content to a single source; local NAS + cloud backup every time.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'd be upset and re-sync to a different provider. I'm not trusting my unique content to a single source; local NAS + cloud backup every time.

no i mean, it's entirely gone, as in none of it remains in any form, gone for good

what does that mean for you?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Hed posted:

Ok glacier looks interesting, did someone already write a nongarbage solution to use that

Synology has support for it built into their NAS

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Stymie posted:

no i mean, it's entirely gone, as in none of it remains in any form, gone for good

what does that mean for you?

I mean, what's really the scenario here? Important stuff like tax filings, llc paper work, work docs, keepass db have a local copy that reps to one drive in addition to the NAS backup dump which then replicates to a cloud provider. I can do without any of that in some sort of wacky comprehensive EMP kills the world scenario but at that point I think we're hunting each other for food so all bets are off. If someone was loving with me personally and doing a salt the earth type wipe then I'm looking a at least 40 hours of work to piece together what I absolutely need and reset accounts. Stuff like photos are gone for good and that would suck but life would go on, same as having to deal with a house fire.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
for "linux ISOs" a great deal of that could be redownloaded. there is some content that would be difficult or unlikely to be found again, which would be unfortunate, but not tragic.

a total erasure of all of my data in every location would immediately break my access to a lot of accounts, because I use an offline password manager to manage my credentials to most websites. i imagine most of those would eventually be recoverable; the ones that couldn't would again probably just be unfortunate and inconveniencing, not tragic.

the various documents and photos from earlier in life being lost would hurt. it might just be pure nostalgia or self-indulgence, but i like to think there's some value in being able to look back and have some firm remembrance of who i was as a person in years past, and compare and contrast that with where i am today.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

I mean, what's really the scenario here? Important stuff like tax filings, llc paper work, work docs, keepass db have a local copy that reps to one drive in addition to the NAS backup dump which then replicates to a cloud provider. I can do without any of that in some sort of wacky comprehensive EMP kills the world scenario but at that point I think we're hunting each other for food so all bets are off. If someone was loving with me personally and doing a salt the earth type wipe then I'm looking a at least 40 hours of work to piece together what I absolutely need and reset accounts. Stuff like photos are gone for good and that would suck but life would go one, same as having to deal with a house fire.

dont quote stymie

also print all your important documents on parchment and place them in your local credit union's safety deposit box (that employs unionized labour of course)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I mean, what's really the scenario here? Important stuff like tax filings, llc paper work, work docs, keepass db have a local copy that reps to one drive in addition to the NAS backup dump which then replicates to a cloud provider. I can do without any of that in some sort of wacky comprehensive EMP kills the world scenario but at that point I think we're hunting each other for food so all bets are off. If someone was loving with me personally and doing a salt the earth type wipe then I'm looking a at least 40 hours of work to piece together what I absolutely need and reset accounts. Stuff like photos are gone for good and that would suck but life would go on, same as having to deal with a house fire.

i'm not talking about the feasibility of it happening, i'm talking about the reality of if it happened

what would you need to reobtain that would take 40+ hours to do? would it be the bulk of what you've been so assiduously backing up? a significant fraction? what would be the tangible consequences during those 40+ hours, other than inconvenience?

most importantly, the stuff is gone, never coming back and, at best, you could reacquire copies of what you lost: how does this make you feel? what is the maximum amount of effort you would be willing to expend to reacquire it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol who gives a poo poo and what is wrong with you?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

What if aliens abducted you and did weird things with your butt? Please tell me your emotional impact this would have on your cyber security stance. I am asking important adult questions.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does CrashPlan still not have a native app anywhere? Java on the desktop, :cthulhu:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
losing a copy of every digital photo i've ever taken and scans of family members film photography would really suck a lot

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the various documents and photos from earlier in life being lost would hurt. it might just be pure nostalgia or self-indulgence, but i like to think there's some value in being able to look back and have some firm remembrance of who i was as a person in years past, and compare and contrast that with where i am today.

i have all my old college and grad student work. the only thing they're even good for is looking back and going "man i was a lot smarter back then, how the gently caress did i even come up with that or do that homework"

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
lol if you were paying for the privilege of using a JAVA BASED CLIENT INTERFACE for goddamn anything ityool2017

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Guys over 3 billion devices use java so therefore it must be secure and safe to use and not a resource hog and stable and and and and and and

• Locked thread