Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Xaris posted:

i have all my old college and grad student work. the only thing they're even good for is looking back and going "man i was a lot smarter back then, how the gently caress did i even come up with that or do that homework"

maybe someday i'll clear out 95% of my old college poo poo but i will never let go of the last paper I did for my history degree. i spent so many goddamn hours in the evenings looking through old microfilm archives to gather the sources for that drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

more like

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

maybe someday i'll clear out 95% of my old college poo poo but i will never let go of the last paper I did for my history degree. i spent so many goddamn hours in the evenings looking through old microfilm archives to gather the sources for that drat thing.

it holds sentimental value, and keeping thigns backed up is trivial so i probably won't ever delete it (plus its not a large amount of data being pdfs, word, excel files and other odds and end stuff).

it's kind of amusing reading my freshmen college papers for english or w/e gently caress off class and going wow that's embarrasingly freshmen quality garbage. then reading my more senior stuff and going wow i was so much smart then, wtf am i doing with my brain

pram
Jun 10, 2001
by 2020 there will be more java devices than humans -larry

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Stymie posted:

no i mean, it's entirely gone, as in none of it remains in any form, gone for good

what does that mean for you?

if your house burned down what would that mean for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vodkat posted:

if your house burned down what would that mean for you?

a lot of personal and family hardship since we would have no place to live, likely for an extended period, in addition to the potential loss of important things like clothing and tools. i'd have to hope that our financial documents and other vital paperwork would survive since i keep them in a fire safe

it would be very challenging emotionally and i would be most concerned with needing shelter and other basic necessities, and further hope that insurance coverage would be able to assist in recovering

which is all to say, that's an odd question to ask in this thread since it's not comparable to losing data in any way, shape or form

• Locked thread