Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you read the Pew report, one of the points they make is that most of the respondents just like whatever laws their country has, which is true for every country around the world. Real reforms need to be made in these countries: liberalization, democratization, civil rights, etc. When that happens, you'll see more Muslims in favor of those things, because most people support the dominant laws and culture in their homeland. That isn't achieved by saying "all Muslims bad" or implying it or whatever stupid point is being made.

How is that going to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Right, you just said the majority of them are terrible. You left room in there to have a muslim friend who is One Of The Good Ones.

I can think of plenty of good Muslims

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

it's pretty accurate actually.

I didn't include how incredibly laughably lovely Mohammad was as a person, who began as a radical voice of modernization and change in his culture, then as soon as he gained power he betrayed his Jewish patrons, silenced the power women who had helped steer his movement when they disagreed with him, justified everything through shallow prophecies and died with no clear line of succession, dooming his own religion to schism and fight amongst themselves for generations to come.

Yeah I got a pretty good laugh out of learning about how Mohammad acted before he had an army at his back

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Then you saw the true face of the universe.

Yeah I saw les mis too you're not fooling me buddy

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

Just leave the muslims to do their bad things to women its none of our business really. Maybe they will fix it eventually after they stop getting bombed every day or they might all die of being savages, either way, the problem will be solved

I'm okay with them doing honor killings etc in their own countries (it's their culture, you see) but I wouldn't like it if that kind of thing was happening down the street

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

Did Mohammad do the things or not.. it's a yes or no question someone answer it please

He did, mohammad did all kinds of things

Some of those things... were bad

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Pointing out that Mohammed was a lovely warlord living in an archaic world will get you probated in D&D?

Whenever somebody says 'nonsensical' I always mentally interpret it as a portmanteau of 'nonsense testicle' :(

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

The problems of FGM in North Africa or the widespread systemic poverty in Egypt have nothing to do with how many kids Mohamed diddled. If he had diddled 30% less kids, everything would have been exactly the same. Why are you bringing up this bullshit in a serious discussion? Are you also bringing up Washington's wooden teeth in a discussion about the opioid epidemic in the Midwest and how to combat it?

I like how the fact that he diddled kids at all is just something to be casually glossed over

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

And I like how the fact that Edgar Ellen Poe diddled kids gets casually glossed over :hfive:

poo poo I've been praying to this cask of amontillado for nothing!!!

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is this guy actually a D&D poster or is this like some weird disinformation campaign meant to decrease public confidence in one of our most cherished subforums

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Like, seriously, imagine two people talking about the Israel/Palestine situation. Talking about violence escalation, settlement policy, the hypothetical demographics and parliament coalitions of a one vs. a two state solution, etc. and then some braindead idiot stumbles into the room and starts rambling about the problems with modern day Judaism, how pedophile Noah diddled his daughters and then your loving eyes start rolling so far back into you head that you can see your own brain. This is how sane people feel every time someone starts bringing up historical trivia about Mohamed in serious discussions about the situation in the Middle East.

Yeah and when you start trying to talk about the problems prevalent in modern islam instead, all of a sudden you get... bah gawd, is that Sykes-Picot's music???

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jfc, what am I doing with my life arguing with MAGAmans. i'm an idiot

Well, you're right about one thing

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bitmap posted:

what did all you single issue posters do on this website before you got spooked by islam

People posting about islam... in the islamic extremism thread???

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

That's the one I read. It seems to make a pretty good case.

I like the part at the end where it finally drops all pretense and starts going "It's in the bible too okay!!!"

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You are welcome in D&D and will do just fine there

You too, come on in

For rest of the armchair historians itt who are obsessed about arguing if some schizophrenic rear end in a top hat from the 7th century banged a 10 year old or not: we are full, sorry. fire code regulations and all that. bye

It's funny because the second guy would get banned for nazi apologia the moment someone realized what he was saying

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

I know, I made some MAGAbro real mad to get this beauty. :allears:

Honestly you talk about how you love it so much I'm pretty sure you bought it for yourself at this point

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Im not nearly creative enough to come up with this.

It is a pretty good one, yeah

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bitmap posted:

heh...stupid gay snowflakes apologising for this regressive ancient text, their flimsy logic falling about them under the shelling from my iron logic points of holding modern islam to mohamed loving children as they circle back around to "the bible" :rolleyes:. well...time to go back into bat for american conservative ideology.

This line of argument would go a lot farther if there weren't an atavistic doomsday cult currently doing a lot of the heavy lifting in regards to worldwide perception of 'modern' islam

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

it's always good when people don't understand an argument, and then insist that their obvious misinterpretation of that argument was correct all along. gee i wonder why you don't do well in forums which require more communicative skill than dry mouthed hooting. pointing out that some criticisms are obviously couched in racist thinking is not the same as "all criticism of thing is racist"

e: lol

Which criticisms of Islam in this thread were couched in racist thinking?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Squashing Machine posted:

FAU, I am a liberal, and I've been a part of these forums for 12 years. You seem to be deeply confused by why people still want these "trump is fine" threads around. Let me tell you, it's a response to the fact that you've been modding your politics. Goons, if nothing else, are complete contrarians, and the moment they think someone's trying to take their ability to say something away, they'll get 100 times worse about it. You've definitely come down on conservative posters harder for equivalent transgressions than you've come down on liberal posters. Is it really any surprise that Lowtax had to come around to call out the state of the forums?

You wear your politics on your sleeve, that's fine. But the moment you start using your authority to enforce them, you get this. End of story.

It's okay, eventually it blows up and the situation equilibrates (see: negromancer)

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

FAU doesn't moderate with his politics, though, so I have no idea what you're on about.

What a good boy

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

look at the brokebrained posters who talked about assassinating politicians and the punishments they received

Now now, I have it on good authority that everyone who posted in LF all the time doesn't post here anymore

I was assured of this by someone who posted in LF all the time

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ahahahahaha that old gag

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Fair enough, and to be clear I don't think you are a bad mod. You all are in a very difficult position lately due to the polarized political climate and I have no idea what the solution is.

I'd just like to avoid seeing GBS become DND v2

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

D&D has some rules that are helpful (no cheerleading etc.) but which don't seem easily applicable in GBS. I mostly mod the politics threads these last couple weeks because I'm the guy who's willing to read them. The consequence of that is I'm the guy who likes to talk politics.

Do you think these rules, or the interpretation thereof, have helped foster debate and discussion in the Debate and Discussion subforum, because based on Raspberry Jam It In Me's input in this thread it sure doesn't fuckin look like it lmao

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

His posts were fine and I don't read D&D much. I prefer CSPAM.

I used to read CSPAM but then the Sweet Liberal Tears thread, which was moved there from GBS, got gassed

I kept looking at it but my eventual conclusion was that everything outside that thread was the same old poo poo, people who think they're outside dogs but don't even know they're wearing a leash because they sit by the peg all day

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

i too am a bold, iconoclastic rebel of internet posting *revs virtual motorcycle whcih is not not a harley but some different, cool brand you've never heard of*

i'm different, unlike everyone else

No I just like to say things that somebody could disagree with, and then talk to them about it

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Ok, what would you like to say?

You're exactly the kind of cheerleading whitenoise poster that this community could easily do without

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's a lot more of this in CSPAM than you think. There are a few conservatives of various sorts there. Try the Suck Zone too. D&D doesn't appeal to me not because there are too many of one thing or not enough of another, I just prefer the lighter CSPAM style where I can read a couple pages of a thread, have fun with it, and not have to follow a 60 page argument.

See, that's what I liked about these GBS trump threads but it seems like most of the right wing guys are gone because they keep eating 30 day chain probes??

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

to be fair some of them do keep saying racist things and that's not cool

I'd much rather see which posters think black people are animals outright than deal with the guys who just hide their poo poo like Piss de Bundy

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

I'd rather not deal with either

Don't worry buddy, I don't think your mask has slipped yet

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SickZip posted:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/

this article is pretty much the Rosetta Stone of modern american politics

Boy I hope this guy doesn't start mailing bombs to people like Kaczynski, I'd be 2/2

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zo posted:

those rules are a joke and you know it. d&d is a total clique at this point on par with any of the fyad lites.

except cspam is actually less cliquey than d&d i have no idea how that happened (though i only read the suck zone)

One of the big problems is it seems like Report Brigade has become so conditioned to seeing results that they go loving ballistic if they see these racists and bigots they've reported so dutifully somehow continuing to post

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adept Nightingale posted:

the guys who have like 30-50 probes for racist posts are a pretty good bet but some of them got banned the other day!

I mean I guess you could give them all the benefit of the doubt, forever, but at some point ironically posting about racism and actually just being racist are indistinguishable and I don't understand why anyone would want to read it

Who are these people who have 50 loving probations for racism

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bushisms.txt posted:

No it's not. Women in the South are being treated like baby making property due to Christianity. The poor are poo poo on, because they're taught to pray not act to help others, so communities die while others just watch and pray, when they could've helped. "Christians" like Mike pence want to torture lgbt in to being straight. Are we forgetting that these Nazis were overwhelmingly voted into office because of these "evangelicals?" The current battle over the aca is being waged by self proclaimed Christians. Again, Christians have a hand in killing more Americans than any other terrorist group, yet we have more of a problem with another very similar religion with their own extremists.

Oh okay you weren't talking about the beheading kind of extremist, you were talking about the sternly worded letter to the editor kind

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bushisms.txt posted:

The republican party votes, no matter what you want to call them, and their "Christian" set is the driving force. If you want to equate writing the editor with putting Nazis in the white House that's your perogative, but that doesn't diminish what they're currently doing.

... voting? Yeah, I guess it doesn't

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah it's a good thing Pence isn't President huh

I'm curious, I see it brought up a lot, what specifically does "torturing LGBT" refer to in Pence's case? Are we talking scared straight programs or what

Lmao scared straight I just got it dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

What does the deed of kiddie-diddling show?

It's their culture, cathophobe

• Locked thread